MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question if anyone knows. I know NYU's deadline was back in March, but checked SOPHAS and they said they are now on a rolling admissions basis, is it too late to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

Congratulations on your acceptances. I got an offer letter from Texas A&M University for MPH Health Promotion and Community Health Sciences. Anyone knows about the school or degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted at Drexel (epi) and Icahn. I'm leaning more towards Drexel right now. Any thoughts on MPH program at Icahn?

Undergrad School: Stony Brook University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: ~3.5/ ~3.7
Major/Minor: Pharmacology
GradGPA: 3.8
Past Grad Studies: Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, and Molecular Genetics MS
Current Grad Studies: 3rd year medical students at an east coast Osteopathic Medical School
GRE (2012): 154 qualitative, 162 quantitative
Experience/Research:
  1. 2-2.5 cumulative years certified clinical research coordinator with an interventional cardiology research group
  2. 15 research abstract poster presentations (cardiology, emergency medicine, biochemistry) at various national conferences
  3. 1.5 years research in a glycomics lab
  4. 1.5 years research in a biochemistry lab studying cardiac cells
  5. 2 years research in a radiation oncology lab studying micro-beam radiation therapy to treat brain cancer at a National Lab
  6. Multiple clinical case study presentations at national conferences
  7. Total of about ~$5000 collective research grants earned (2x different grants)
  8. no first author publications (yet)
Special factors: I've traveled on 7 different medical mission trips across 4 different continents. I was also raised in two different countries with different cultural norms (US/India)-- this adds to my perspective on public health. Finally, I'm actively involved in national healthcare policy groups at a student level.

Applied: the top 20 schools, according the US News rankings, with accelerated 1 year MPH programs
Accepted: all 20 schools minus the two mentioned below. Decided to go to the Bloomberg School at Hopkins. really wanted to go to UC Berkeley, but it's too expensive to relocate/ live out there.
Rejected: Harvard, UWash

After getting accepted into Emory, Hopkins, Duke, and UPENN I finally have decided to go with Duke. My dream school initially was Hopkins but I could not attend for personal reasons so I'm hoping I made the right choice!

Tulane has a richer and much longer history as a public health school, the tuition is cheaper, and it is located in an area of the US which suffers from a variety of unique public health problems. I think Tulane is 100+ years old as a public health school, maybe it's the oldest or at the least one of the oldest.

BU is more expensive, especially when you compare living expenses, is a much younger school, recently changed their curriculum which was perceived by some as being watered down, and the school has a history of being a business venture which started as a night school.

BU's professors have also made controversial remarks such as supporting ecigarretes, perhaps blindly, as well as some oft quoted study that misrepresents the harms of addiction to prescription pain killers came out of BU.

I think that blindly going to super expensive schools like BU for public health enables predatory schools, and drives up tuition rates for everybody. It's important to go to a school that believes in the basic dignity of a student trying to educate herself to improve the world around her, and this doesn't seem to be the case with BU which is selling a "product", or their degree.

I'm thinking that the alumni list for Tulane is much more impressive than BU . . .

Just a personal opinion! Go with what school feels right for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Tulane has a richer and much longer history as a public health school, the tuition is cheaper, and it is located in an area of the US which suffers from a variety of unique public health problems. I think Tulane is 100+ years old as a public health school, maybe it's the oldest or at the least one of the oldest.

BU is more expensive, especially when you compare living expenses, is a much younger school, recently changed their curriculum which was perceived by some as being watered down, and the school has a history of being a business venture which started as a night school.

BU's professors have also made controversial remarks such as supporting ecigarretes, perhaps blindly, as well as some oft quoted study that misrepresents the harms of addiction to prescription pain killers came out of BU.

I think that blindly going to super expensive schools like BU for public health enables predatory schools, and drives up tuition rates for everybody. It's important to go to a school that believes in the basic dignity of a student trying to educate herself to improve the world around her, and this doesn't seem to be the case with BU which is selling a "product", or their degree.

I'm thinking that the alumni list for Tulane is much more impressive than BU . . .

Just a personal opinion! Go with what school feels right for you!

Tulane feels right. I've come to similar conclusions you mentioned, especially about cost. Thanks for your insight! Also, Tulane admissions treated me with more support than BU.
BU has great prestige and a great program, but I realized it was just a temptation not worth the 80k for 2 years.

Funny that everyone I know said BU first, thinking of that prestigious city, but people "in the know" for public health said Tulane.

The Harvard name is prestigious, and so that prestige is attached to it's public health school, though I'd put JHU and UNC slightly above Harvard, and these 3 schools are probably the top all around excellent public health schools.

However, there are other public health schools in Boston such as UMass, Tufts and BU, and I don't think that there is prestige by osmosis, meaning that just being in the same city with Harvard doesn't give your program a boost in prestige.

If you rock your classes at Tulane and work hard to find opportunities and network, you'll do great. Similarly if somebody goes to BU, doesn't do well in classes or work hard, saying "I went to school in Boston", doesn't mean anything. Probably somebody with an MPH would do just fine with getting a job in Boston as Tulane is a well known school, even has a global reputation, much more than BU.

I wouldn't want to feel like I'm living in Harvard's shadow in Boston either, or the shadow of schools like Tufts.

Tulane feels right. I've come to similar conclusions you mentioned, especially about cost. Thanks for your insight! Also, Tulane admissions treated me with more support than BU.
BU has great prestige and a great program, but I realized it was just a temptation not worth the 80k for 2 years.

Funny that everyone I know said BU first, thinking of that prestigious city, but people "in the know" for public health said Tulane.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into Wayne state and Oakland University at Michigan. Anyone else attenteding either of those this fall?

Undergrad School: Howard University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.47
Major/Minor: Human Performance/Leisure Studies/Chemistry
GRE: 152 V; 146 Q; 4.0 Writing
Experience/Research
- Cancer Research Intern (NIH) - Worked with immunoregulation team
- 3 years Hospital volunteer (600+ hours)

LOR: Mentor (Lawyer); Co-worker (Librarian)
Special Factor: African-American woman

Interested in: Health Policy, Global Health, Program Design, Health Disparities

Applied: GWU (6/24) ****Yes, I only applied to one school lol*****
Accepted: GWU (7/25) :soexcited:
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, this is my first post on SDN! I will be starting my fourth year of undergrad this September and will be applying to graduate school. I am from Canada and don't have a very good grasp of the admissions process for US grad schools, so any insight regarding the strength of my application is much appreciated!!!

Undergrad School:
Canadian University (BSc in Health Science)
Undergrad GPA: 3.32 (cumulative); strong upward trend (3.97 for third year)
GRE: 165 V; 162 Q; 5.0 Writing (wrote it twice)
Experience/Research
- Paid RA position: 2 first author abstracts pending acceptance to conference; other abstract co-authorships; working on manuscript
- Will be completing thesis in fourth year (co-author for a textbook chapter just submitted for review)
- Other volunteer RA positions
- Other internships at government ministries/university campus
- Various health realted volunteer work
LOR: Supervisor (Doctor); Undergraduate professor 1 (thesis supervisor); Undergraduate professor 2 (independent study)
Interested in: Epidemiology, Health Services Research, Medicine

Schools/programs I am looking into (My "safety" schools will be in Canada):
1. Stanford MS Epi
2. Columbia MPH
3. JHU MS Epi
4. Yale MPH Chronic Disease Epi
5. Harvard MS Epi

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first post on SDN! I will be starting my fourth year of undergrad this September and will be applying to graduate school. I am from Canada and don't have a very good grasp of the admissions process for US grad schools, so any insight regarding the strength of my application is much appreciated!!!

Undergrad School:
Canadian University (BSc in Health Science)
Undergrad GPA: 3.32 (cumulative); strong upward trend (3.97 for third year)
GRE: 165 V; 162 Q; 5.0 Writing (wrote it twice)
Experience/Research
- Paid RA position: 2 first author abstracts pending acceptance to conference; other abstract co-authorships; working on manuscript
- Will be completing thesis in fourth year (co-author for a textbook chapter just submitted for review)
- Other volunteer RA positions
- Other internships at government ministries/university campus
- Various health realted volunteer work
LOR: Supervisor (Doctor); Undergraduate professor 1 (thesis supervisor); Undergraduate professor 2 (independent study)
Interested in: Epidemiology, Health Services Research, Medicine

Schools/programs I am looking into (My "safety" schools will be in Canada):
1. Stanford MS Epi
2. Columbia MPH
3. JHU MS Epi
4. Yale MPH Chronic Disease Epi
5. Harvard MS Epi

Hey there,

Out of the programs you mentioned, I only applied (and was accepted to) the Stanford MS Epi program. Your GRE scores are good and your research experiences, and your publications (if they go through) and likely to make you a good candidate. Make sure to get strong recommendations letters (also note that Stanford allows more than 3, a maximum of 6, recommendation letters); try to talk with your letter writers about your goals and the skill you would like expressed in these letters.

Graduate programs are smaller and the student selection is decided by people directly involved in the program, so they tend to look for students who "make a good fit" over just getting a student with the "best stats" (AKA GPA or GRE, although good scores don't hurt). Make sure to look into and contact the programs beforehand to find out a bit more on what would be the best fit for you also. These programs look at their applicants very closely and holistically when deciding, so try to have a well rounded application.

I'll be starting in September, so if you have any questions on the Stanford program don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Undergrad School: Howard University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.47
Major/Minor: Human Performance/Leisure Studies/Chemistry
GRE: 152 V; 146 Q; 4.0 Writing
Experience/Research
- Cancer Research Intern (NIH) - Worked with immunoregulation team
- 3 years Hospital volunteer (600+ hours)

LOR: Mentor (Lawyer); Co-worker (Librarian)
Special Factor: African-American woman

Interested in: Health Policy, Global Health, Program Design, Health Disparities

Applied: GWU (6/24) ****Yes, I only applied to one school lol*****
Accepted: GWU (7/25) :soexcited:
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

Wait tell me more :nailbiting: im applying to GW as will with similar GRE stats, lower GPA (thanks pre-med). which program did u apply to?

Hi all, I am thinking of applying for Fall 2018 and I am finishing my undergrad in December.
What are my chances of being accepted based on the following?

Undergrad School: George Mason University (BSc in Community Healht)
Undergrad GPA: 3.69 (cumulative) (projected final GPA 3.74) (3.84 major gpa)
GRE: 139 V; 141 Q; 3.0 Writing (i know its terrible :/)
Experience/Research
Currently doing volunteer on a research with my professor looking at alcohol and bar policy relation to drinking among college students

Schools interested in: GW, BU, Columbia, GMU, Pitsburgh
Programs: Epi or Global health

Hi all, I am thinking of applying for Fall 2018 and I am finishing my undergrad in December.
What are my chances of being accepted based on the following?

Undergrad School: George Mason University (BSc in Community Healht)
Undergrad GPA: 3.69 (cumulative) (projected final GPA 3.74) (3.84 major gpa)
GRE: 139 V; 141 Q; 3.0 Writing (i know its terrible :/)
Experience/Research
Currently doing volunteer on a research with my professor looking at alcohol and bar policy relation to drinking among college students

Schools interested in: GW, BU, Columbia, GMU, Pitsburgh
Programs: Epi or Global health

Hi! I would highly recommend re-taking the GRE. Especially if you are interested in Epi, those programs emphasize strong quant scores. You have a good GPA, a relevant major, and some experience, but your application will likely not be looked at as closely due to the low GRE scores. If you can study and retake within the next month or two, I think that would greatly help your chances! Hope that helps! :)

Also, there is a new 2018 thread for current applicants that will probably be helpful for you!

Last edited:
Hi! I would highly recommend re-taking the GRE. Especially if you are interested in Epi, those programs emphasize strong quant scores. You have a good GPA, a relevant major, and some experience, but your application will likely not be looked at as closely due to the low GRE scores. If you can study and retake within the next month or two, I think that would greatly help your chances! Hope that helps! :)

Also, there is a new 2018 thread for current applicants that will probably be helpful for you!
Thank you for your answer! I will also post this on the 2018 thread.

Hi everyone! I'm just lurking on last year's thread to get an idea about admissions timelines and variables people took into consideration when deciding-- and I'd love to hear how you all are liking your schools and programs! Thanks a lot!!

I got waitlisted a little over 2 weeks ago to the NYU MPH/MSW dual degree program. Anyone have a rough timeframe on when I might hear back? Or what my chances are of getting off the waitlist?
what are your stats? I applied to NYU's MPH/MSW program this year and I'm wondering if our stats are similar

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how many of you check this still but I'm debating among Columbia (PopFam), Emory (Global Health) and BU (Global Health) for my MPH this fall. If any of you are current students, I'd love to get any and all of your opinions.

Thank you!