MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know, I was thinking about that the other day. I'm kind of confused about that. I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know.

That would be great! Thank you so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got dinged from JHU,...... oh well, already made my decision.

Declined offers to U of Miami, GWU, Boston U, NYU, and UIC. Hope any of you on the wait list to any of these schools gets my spot.

Good luck, everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a new-comer here, but has anyone been accepted to the MPH program at U of Louisville?
I just got my acceptance today :joyful:

Hi, I'm new here! I have just been wondering, is anyone still waiting for a response from Columbia? I've been contacting them but they just keep telling me that my application is still under review :/

Declined my offer from Columbia today. Good luck to those of you still waiting on a definite decision from them!

I have a feeling too...they should have notified us by now it's mid april....

I wish they could just tell us already! Btw, did you get a chance to contact USC about the deposit? I just signed up for the general graduate student orientation in Aug. But I still want to wait for UCI.... even though... I probably won't take it... but I don't know... I am so indecisive... I also declined SDSU too and I am already doubting my decision... ahhh :( This is tough

Reactions: 1 user
accepted at USC - child & family health yesterday! It's certainly going to be hard to pick a school now!

Congrats! Are you considering it?
I am most likely going for their biostats/epi track :)

I am such an indecisive person that I keep second guessing my decision but that will probably always be the case no matter where I end up.

I wish they could just tell us already! Btw, did you get a chance to contact USC about the deposit? I just signed up for the general graduate student orientation in Aug. But I still want to wait for UCI.... even though... I probably won't take it... but I don't know... I am so indecisive... I also declined SDSU too and I am already doubting my decision... ahhh :( This is tough
I

Members don't see this ad :)
I held on to hope and today was the day! I just got accepted off the wait list to U Washington's Health Services program: my top/dream choice! :soexcited:

I started a thread for those of you who are headed to UW in the fall on this forum.

Reactions: 11 users
I held on to hope and today was the day! I just got accepted off the wait list to U Washington's Health Services program: my top/dream choice! :soexcited:

I started a thread for those of you who are headed to UW in the fall on this forum.
CONGRATS!!! I know you were VEERRRRYY anxious waiting on the wailist

Hi all, I'm looking to talk with someone who has committed to Boston University or someone who lives in Boston/knows the campus/area/program well! I know nothing about the school or area and would love to hear from someone who does :) Thanks!

I'm still waiting to hear from UCI even though I won't take it. But I want to know the outcome!

I'm still waiting to hear from UCI even though I won't take it. But I want to know the outcome!

Have you talked with Stephanie? I really want to email her today again but I already did like three times already. Don't want to keep bugging her, but I really want to know...

Hi all, I'm looking to talk with someone who has committed to Boston University or someone who lives in Boston/knows the campus/area/program well! I know nothing about the school or area and would love to hear from someone who does :) Thanks!
I've lived in Boston since 2006! I'll send my email address in a private message. Feel free to ask me any and all questions.

I'm giving up my spot for SUNY Downstate. Hope everyone gets into their first choice!

Undergrad School: Ohio University
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Health Services Administration
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157V, 146Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

Applied to MPH w/administration/management/policy/analysis focuses, depending on the school.

About 99.9% chance I'm going to USC. I know the programs I applied to aren't real competitive, if at all, but USC is definitely the best program among them. Top 20 on US News & World Report. Anyone have any thoughts about the programs above?

Undergrad School: Ohio University
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Health Services Administration
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157V, 146Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

Applied to MPH w/administration/management/policy/analysis focuses, depending on the school.

About 99.9% chance I'm going to USC. I know the programs I applied to aren't real competitive, if at all, but USC is definitely the best program among them. Top 20 on US News & World Report. Anyone have any thoughts about the programs above?
What other schools are you applying to?

I know there's a few people on this thread who applied/got accepted to USC, but has anyone applied/got accepted to their online MPH program? I'm debating on applying and was wondering if anyone here has already :)

I've got an acceptance e-mail from UIC 2-3days ago and will decline it- as soon as possible I found the way to do so. It's like an puzzle game, they never send me the correct informations. Good luck to the people on the waitlist of UIC!

I know there's a few people on this thread who applied/got accepted to USC, but has anyone applied/got accepted to their online MPH program? I'm debating on applying and was wondering if anyone here has already :)

Hello,
I didn't apply to USC's MPH online program, but I did see someone got accepted on Instagram. I was checking out usc tag the other day and saw that person posted her acceptance email I believe :) Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Congrats! Are you considering it?
I am most likely going for their biostats/epi track :)
Oops, sorry for the delay! Did you officially pick a school yet?
I'm still not sure. I've narrowed it down between USC or Colorado. In the process of making a pros & cons list. Hopefully that will help!

You know, I was thinking about that the other day. I'm kind of confused about that. I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know.
Hey! Did you ever figure out the whole deposit thing at USC? I don't really understand.. All we do is click the 'intent to enroll' link they emailed, and that's it? I feel like I'm missing something too.. Like their should definitely be more to the process. hahaha

Oops, sorry for the delay! Did you officially pick a school yet?
I'm still not sure. I've narrowed it down between USC or Colorado. In the process of making a pros & cons list. Hopefully that will help!

I was pretty much set on USC but I've been thinking about all the other options and now I am very unsure :(
Still waiting for UCI... since I would really love to go there... So far I am deciding between SDSU and USC... Ugh, so hard! But I read your other comment and just want to let you know that USC's MPH program doesn't require deposit :) Valerie did suggest me to check with grad admission to see if they require one and I haven't heard back from them.

Btw, I remember seeing you got accepted to SDSU. I am just curious how come you eliminated it from your consideration? If you don't mind sharing!

I was pretty much set on USC but I've been thinking about all the other options and now I am very unsure :(
Still waiting for UCI... since I would really love to go there... So far I am deciding between SDSU and USC... Ugh, so hard! But I read your other comment and just want to let you know that USC's MPH program doesn't require deposit :) Valerie did suggest me to check with grad admission to see if they require one and I haven't heard back from them.

Btw, I remember seeing you got accepted to SDSU. I am just curious how come you eliminated it from your consideration? If you don't mind sharing!
Aw. Well, wherever you end up, just know it'll be the right choice :)
UCI, like UC Irvine? It's a great school & nice campus. I know a ton of people that go their for undergrad, but not sure how the MPH program is.
Thanks for the tips about USC. It's just so weird how they aren't constantly emailing us information like other programs have. It makes me feel outta the loop! haah. Seems like Valerie should know al ittle more about the requirements, you'd think? haha. Oh wells, they're just too 'prestigious' I guess. haha

It's funny you ask about SDSU, because that was originally my TOP choice when I was applying (financially realistic & close-ish to home). However, after thinking about it, I just decided I would much rather go to a larger University, rather than just another state school, if that makes sense? It sounds kinda of dumb. I went to CSU Long Beach for my undergrad, so I kinda want to go to a big-name school now. I mean it is GRADUATE school, after all. hahaha. Idk. After driving around the campus, I just felt like it was just another undergrad state school. Nothing over the top to be excited about, I guess? Nothing that really drew me into the program. hahha I probably sound ridiculous.

Aw. Well, wherever you end up, just know it'll be the right choice :)
UCI, like UC Irvine? It's a great school & nice campus. I know a ton of people that go their for undergrad, but not sure how the MPH program is.
Thanks for the tips about USC. It's just so weird how they aren't constantly emailing us information like other programs have. It makes me feel outta the loop! haah. Seems like Valerie should know al ittle more about the requirements, you'd think? haha. Oh wells, they're just too 'prestigious' I guess. haha

It's funny you ask about SDSU, because that was originally my TOP choice when I was applying (financially realistic & close-ish to home). However, after thinking about it, I just decided I would much rather go to a larger University, rather than just another state school, if that makes sense? It sounds kinda of dumb. I went to CSU Long Beach for my undergrad, so I kinda want to go to a big-name school now. I mean it is GRADUATE school, after all. hahaha. Idk. After driving around the campus, I just felt like it was just another undergrad state school. Nothing over the top to be excited about, I guess? Nothing that really drew me into the program. hahha I probably sound ridiculous.

Yes, UC Irvine! Same here, I only know their MPH program is pretty new and that's it, haha. True, I actually signed up for USC's general grad orientation already, since they don't require you to pay I think it'd be okay to not attend if I decide to go elsewhere.

Nah you don't sound ridiculous 'cuz that's exactly my concern too! I went to CSUF for undergrad and I am really hoping to attend a "bigger" university if that makes sense, haha, plus it'll be my last degree (not planning to get a phd at the moment hehe) and I'd really like it to look nice on my resume. But then again, USC's tuition is expensive... and thinking about how much debt I will be in scares me already :( But anyways, you drove around SDSU right? I am thinking about driving down there this weekend to see if I like it... I know I don't like USC's surroundings for sure, lol, so... yeah... Sigh... I just hope UCI can tell me already...

Yes, UC Irvine! Same here, I only know their MPH program is pretty new and that's it, haha. True, I actually signed up for USC's general grad orientation already, since they don't require you to pay I think it'd be okay to not attend if I decide to go elsewhere.

Nah you don't sound ridiculous 'cuz that's exactly my concern too! I went to CSUF for undergrad and I am really hoping to attend a "bigger" university if that makes sense, haha, plus it'll be my last degree (not planning to get a phd at the moment hehe) and I'd really like it to look nice on my resume. But then again, USC's tuition is expensive... and thinking about how much debt I will be in scares me already :( But anyways, you drove around SDSU right? I am thinking about driving down there this weekend to see if I like it... I know I don't like USC's surroundings for sure, lol, so... yeah... Sigh... I just hope UCI can tell me already...
I sent you a message, go check! :)

I also got accepted to SDSU and still waiting on UCI...glad to know I'm not the only one still waiting to hear back from UCI. Which concentration did you apply to for SDSU & UCI?

I also got accepted to SDSU and still waiting on UCI...glad to know I'm not the only one still waiting to hear back from UCI. Which concentration did you apply to for SDSU & UCI?

Hey! I applied to epi for both schools. You? :)

Hey! I applied to epi for both schools. You? :)

Same here! SDSU called it Epi/Biostatistics, but I am more interested in Epi so hopefully they focus more on epi. So if UCI accepts you, you would rather go to UCI over SDSU? SDSU is ranked 30th in the nation for Public Health and is recognized as a school of public health as compared to UCI, which is not ranked because it is still only recognized as a program in public health. Does it matter for you if the school is a program as compared to school of public health? I heard if we want to work for big organizations such as the CDC, they prefer candidates to have received their degrees from an institution which is recognized as school of public health as compared to program.

Same here! SDSU called it Epi/Biostatistics, but I am more interested in Epi so hopefully they focus more on epi. So if UCI accepts you, you would rather go to UCI over SDSU? SDSU is ranked 30th in the nation for Public Health and is recognized as a school of public health as compared to UCI, which is not ranked because it is still only recognized as a program in public health. Does it matter for you if the school is a program as compared to school of public health? I heard if we want to work for big organizations such as the CDC, they prefer candidates to have received their degrees from an institution which is recognized as school of public health as compared to program.

Yes, I will most likely attend UCI if they take me. I understand your point of view though, because that's exactly why I am having such a difficult time choosing between USC and SDSU right now. I love SDSU's curriculum, affordable tuition, and definitely the fact that it's a school of public health. My professor actually knows two faculty members in SDSU's MPH epi department and he said they are both very good. But moving to SD means I will probably be living alone and away from my boyfriend and I am not sure if I will like the location either :( I know I sound silly right now basing my decision on my bf but we've been together for years and he is a big factor of my life that I would rather stay close. But he did mention that he will try to find a job down in SD if I decide to go with SDSU so everything is really up in the air...

Also to answer your question, I am not really sure if it matters to me whether it's a program or school. I don't think I will be looking for a career in the CDC. However, I am hoping to get an internship experience there or higher up international organization (WHO). USC has an international practicum that brings MPH students to WHO and Global Fund annually and this is the main reason I am really interested in their program.

How about you? Did you decide where to attend yet? I am also curious to know if SDSU stands strong outside of San Diego. If I go there, I do plan to come back to OC area and I'd love to know if the name of the school is competitive...

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad School: Tianjin Medical University
Undergrad GPA: 2.95
Major/Minor:
MBBS
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 143V/152Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 year Clinical experience and 2 years public health experience in India

Applied: IIHMR-Johns Hopkins MPH program in Jaipur, India; and top 10 public health schools in US on MPH - HPM track
Accepted: IIHMR-Johns Hopkins, UNC, Emory, UMN, WUSTL
Rejected: HSPH, UM, UT, UCB, UCLA, UPitt, BU
Waitlisted:

Dear guys,

I have restricted my choices to UNC and WUSTL now, reasons being UNC ranked as No.2 Public Health school and WUSTL offering great financial offers. WUSTL is giving me a US$15,000 Brown School Scholarship and offering a Resident Assistant Position in nearby school (in exchange of room, boarding and US$3,000 stipend for an year). UNC does not have any promising financial offers.

I am now in a great dilemma... UNC or WUSTL? Please clear my following doubts...

1. UNC's total cost estimate comes around US$ 53,000 for the first year. So, around $ 100,000 for 2 years. Is it worth spending such a huge amount for MPH and will it pay back? In WUSTL, I need to spend approximate half the price of UNC from my own pocket.
2. I hope WUSTL is on rank 19 (from US News). Does rank 2 and rank 19 really make a great difference in job opportunities and salary?
3. Which university has a greater international recognition?

Anyone have any clue when CSU Fullerton or Long beach are sending out acceptances? I'm done waiting gah!
I am also waiting on Fullerton, they said they would be sending out acceptances in april but I feel like they are taking foreverrrr! Have you heard anything back from them yet? I checked my application status on "Titan Online" and it says that my file has been sent to the graduate department.... I have no idea what that means!

Last edited:
I am also waiting on Fullerton, they said they would be sending out acceptances in april but I feel like they are taking foreverrrr! Have you heard anything back from them yet? I checked my application status on "Titan Online" and it says that my file has been sent to the graduate department.... I have no idea what that means!

That means that the university has cleared you, but the department hasn't decided yet. I emailed the department 3 days ago and they gave me a vague answer saying that they're doing application reviews in April, and sending acceptances "shortly after".... im assuming they mean early May?

That means that the university has cleared you, but the department hasn't decided yet. I emailed the department 3 days ago and they gave me a vague answer saying that they're doing application reviews in April, and sending acceptances "shortly after".... im assuming they mean early May?
Oh interesting, Yeah I emailed someone almost 2 weeks ago but I never got an answer back. Does your application status say the same thing? It sounds like they wont be getting back to us until may then.

Oh interesting, Yeah I emailed someone almost 2 weeks ago but I never got an answer back. Does your application status say the same thing? It sounds like they wont be getting back to us until may then.
Yup, it says its been sent to the department for review. Now we wait... Where else have you applied?

Undergrad School: State School
Undergrad GPA: 3.26
Major/Minor:
Neuroscience & Classics (double degree)
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 155V/158Q, 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 5 years biostatistics/anatomy research with publications, 4.5 yrs Health Care related volunteering, Health Policy Study Abroad w/ Thesis, and plenty of leadership & mentoring positions.

Applied: JHU (MSPH Health Policy) (1/20), UIC MPH HPA (12/28 SOPHAS) , Rush HSM (10/30 HAMPCAS), Yale MPH Health Policy (1/5), BU MPH (2/9 SOPHAS)
Accepted: JHU, UIC, BU
Rejected: Rush (interviewed 1/20)
Waitlisted: Yale

Yup, it says its been sent to the department for review. Now we wait... Where else have you applied?
For MPH I only applied for CSUF. My gpa isn't the greatest. Is long beach the only other place you've applied? Also keep me posted if you hear anything back from csuf and I'll do the same!

found this on another forum for all of you still waiting on UCI

• FYI, I called Stephanie **** and asked when decisions would be made for doctoral candidates. She said they have a new process and decisions will be made by the end of the month (April). The process is taking longer than expected, but apparently less time than last year. Good luck everyone! I have already accepted an offer elsewhere but am still potentially interested if the offer is good enough.

For MPH I only applied for CSUF. My gpa isn't the greatest. Is long beach the only other place you've applied? Also keep me posted if you hear anything back from csuf and I'll do the same!
I applied for Fullerton, long beach, and currently applying for USC. And definitely will do!

Undergrad School: Tianjin Medical University
Undergrad GPA: 2.95
Major/Minor:
MBBS
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 143V/152Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 year Clinical experience and 2 years public health experience in India

Applied: IIHMR-Johns Hopkins MPH program in Jaipur, India; and top 10 public health schools in US on MPH - HPM track
Accepted: IIHMR-Johns Hopkins, UNC, Emory, UMN, WUSTL
Rejected: HSPH, UM, UT, UCB, UCLA, UPitt, BU
Waitlisted:

Dear guys,

I have restricted my choices to UNC and WUSTL now, reasons being UNC ranked as No.2 Public Health school and WUSTL offering great financial offers. WUSTL is giving me a US$15,000 Brown School Scholarship and offering a Resident Assistant Position in nearby school (in exchange of room, boarding and US$3,000 stipend for an year). UNC does not have any promising financial offers.

I am now in a great dilemma... UNC or WUSTL? Please clear my following doubts...

1. UNC's total cost estimate comes around US$ 53,000 for the first year. So, around $ 100,000 for 2 years. Is it worth spending such a huge amount for MPH and will it pay back? In WUSTL, I need to spend approximate half the price of UNC from my own pocket.
2. I hope WUSTL is on rank 19 (from US News). Does rank 2 and rank 19 really make a great difference in job opportunities and salary?
3. Which university has a greater international recognition?

Are you planning on taking usmle and applying to residency after? If yes and if there's financial constrain, I would pick the cheaper option. If you are looking at working in public health for good, then UNC has the edge plus a global recognition in case you wish to work internationally. Just my two cents..

I responded you earlier yesterday and then I had a chat with some of my professors. Then everything changed... They really don't think UCI is a good idea and USC vs. SDSU is a tough one... It's long story but I am most likely going to SDSU :)
Are you for sure going to SDSU?

Quick question : did anyone complete their application a month before the deadline? I'm interested in the Texas A&M MPH program but wont have everything ready for a week or 2. Their deadline is June 1st. Im a little bit worried that their spots are filled up already.