MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any clue when CSU Fullerton or Long beach are sending out acceptances? I'm done waiting gah!

Members don't see this ad.

ugh I bet I'm rejected then if you got the email a couple of hours ago ;( This is going to be a long day/weekend until I hear!
So I didn't respond because I was waiting for the DICAS match results. I also got into Benedictine's internship and their coordinated MS in Nutrition and Wellness and MPH. Good thing, because I just received an email from UNC's graduate school TAKING BACK their acceptance. Telling me it was a mistake. good luck to you...

So I didn't respond because I was waiting for the DICAS match results. I also got into Benedictine's internship and their coordinated MS in Nutrition and Wellness and MPH. Good thing, because I just received an email from UNC's graduate school TAKING BACK their acceptance. Telling me it was a mistake. good luck to you...
Whoa! Someone messed up big time - sending out incorrect acceptance letters is no good. I am so sorry that happened to you but congrats on getting matched through DICAS! I still haven't heard anything from UNC, hoping to hear sometime today but we'll see...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally made a decision and sent my deposit to attend the University of Minnesota. Feels good to have the decision making process out of the way. Excited for September to be here already!!

Reactions: 2 users
I guess I was too filled with excitement to realize that they mail the Intent to Enroll form (LOL!). You'll definitely see me around! *Fight On* :D

Question! USC doesn't require deposit to secure a spot? I just received the mail and submitted my intent to enroll, but they never asked about deposit..... Am I missing something here?

Hey all! Congrats on all of your acceptances!

I was recently accepted into the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai but there really isn't too much information on the program other than the website. Does anyone have more info on the program? Maybe know someone who's attending or something along those lines..

I know that classes are all after 4 PM and are once a week and that the degree will cost roughly 40,000, which is one of the lower tuition option for NY schools

I've heard they have good ties with the med school, you can finish the program in one year, but I'm not sure how accurate everything is and would like to know more

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Like how big the program is.. I'm just wondering why there is no info on it. Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 users
AHHHH! JUST got into Columbia. For the people who were accepted earlier, when did you find out about scholarships?

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for your feedback. What about the faculty impressed you? And what kind of insight into what kinds of community/area opportunities are available for the practicum/capstone experiences was given at the admit day? For example, one thing drawing me to UMN is the Twin Cities location, providing a ton of health care, industry, and community engagement opportunities. Also just curious - what is your concentration?
Sorry for the late response! In the HSMP department, the faculty were interested in what the students wanted to pursue and accomplish. Their network includes a lot of the area public health centers/organizations and there are two hospitals on the campus. I do agree with @coloradolove though about high rate of job placement in and around Denver. The opportunity to collaborate and network with the medical professionals in the campus hospitals is nice too. However, after visiting UT Houston, I have to say that there were more opportunities to interact with current students (who are awesome btw) and a lot more information was provided at their admit day.

UPDATE!!

Undergrad School: FIU
Undergrad GPA: 2.8 according to SOPHAS, but 2.9 according to my school...
Major/Minor: Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE March 8, 2014 152V, 149Q. 3.5W or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

• 1 semester research in neuroscience lab
  • AmeriCorps volunteer (Co-Chapter Director)
  • Shadowed doctors domestically and abroad
  • Volunteered in a clinic in a third world caribbean country
  • Unpaid intern with the Florida Department of Health
  • Volunteered with the Red Cross
  • Probably forgetting some things, but I am doing this quickly
  • Don't know if this is relevant, but I am a double URM and first in my family to pursue a graduate degree

Applied: Florida International University (submitted sometime in February), NOVA Southeastern University(submitted early March), University of Miami (mailed by SOPHAS MArch 5), University of South Florida (mailed by SOPHAS March 5), University of North Florida (submitted sometime in February)
Accepted: Florida International University, University of North Florida, UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI (AHHHH!!!)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Still haven't heard back from the last two yet, but frankly I don't care anymore because I got into my dream school!! Now I only hope I can afford it. Has anyone else been accepted into UM and plan to matriculate? When did you get information about financial aid?

I think I've finally made a decision? I think I'm going to accept at Minnesota! :biglove:

After I decided this last night, I slept so much better than I had the previous nights of indecision leaning towards Colorado, so for some reason this is an indicator to me that this is the right choice.

Even though I hate turning away a scholarship, especially because I'm getting none at Minnesota, I think the scholarship offer [:greedy:] and the geographic location were really the ONLY reasons I was interested in CSPH. The mountains will always be there later in my life. ;)

Growing up with another Big 10 team, it somewhat pains me to say, but... Go Gophers! (But I'm sure I'll get over it! :D)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the late response! In the HSMP department, the faculty were interested in what the students wanted to pursue and accomplish. Their network includes a lot of the area public health centers/organizations and there are two hospitals on the campus. I do agree with @coloradolove though about high rate of job placement in and around Denver. The opportunity to collaborate and network with the medical professionals in the campus hospitals is nice too. However, after visiting UT Houston, I have to say that there were more opportunities to interact with current students (who are awesome btw) and a lot more information was provided at their admit day.

It's nice to hear about CSPH from someone who was able to go to admit day! I wasn't able to but I am going to be there in the fall and the HSMP is my department. Glad to hear such good things about it all around! Will you be going to CSPH or are you still deciding between schools?

Michigan HMP or Minnesota PHAP? Both great programs and perks for each. Minnesota will be slightly cheaper, but Michigan is slightly more well known, and I like the internship opportunities at Michigan. Minneapolis and Ann Arbor both seem like great places to be. Any insight from anyone who knows more about these programs?

I officially declined Yale's offer for MPH in HCM. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Great! where did you decide on?

I declined all my schools back in Feb after I got into my first choice. Except for UCLA..doesn't seem like they have a "decline" option-- If you don't register by April 15, they just assume you declined.

probably not important at this point but:

Undergrad School: NYU
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Major/Minor: Nutrition & Dietetics / Pre-Med
GRE: January 2, 2014; 154V 157Q 4.0W

• Summer at NIH - Neuroimmunology
  • Social Psych - 1 semester
  • NYU Medical School Public Health Dept - 1 year

Applied: NYU, GW, UPenn, U. Maryland (College Park), U. Maryland School of Med, U.Va, Mt. Sinai, Georgetown (MS in Global Health)
Accepted: NYU, GW, UPenn, U. Maryland (College Park), U. Maryland School of Med, Mt. Sinai, Georgetown
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: U.Va

Leaning towards UPenn, and am seriously wondering if there is anyone else that applied/may go there... I know it's not a public health school so maybe why it's not that popular, but the fact that it's housed in the Med School is actually a draw to me, seeing as how I plan to apply to medical school in the future... any thoughts? Between UPenn and GW, which is better--I've kinda put aside all my other acceptances..

@mdhopeful11, When did you apply to Georgetown and hear back? I'm still waiting, though I applied closer to the deadline. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thank you!

probably not important at this point but:

Undergrad School: NYU
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Nutrition & Dietetics / Pre-Med
GRE: January 2, 2014; 154V 157Q 4.0W

• Summer at NIH - Neuroimmunology
  • Social Psych - 1 semester
  • NYU Medical School Public Health Dept - 1 year

Applied: NYU, GW, UPenn, U. Maryland (College Park), U. Maryland School of Med, U.Va, Mt. Sinai, Georgetown (MS in Global Health)
Accepted: NYU, GW, UPenn, U. Maryland (College Park), U. Maryland School of Med, Mt. Sinai, Georgetown
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: U.Va

Leaning towards UPenn, and am seriously wondering if there is anyone else that applied/may go there... I know it's not a public health school so maybe why it's not that popular, but the fact that it's housed in the Med School is actually a draw to me, seeing as how I plan to apply to medical school in the future... any thoughts? Between UPenn and GW, which is better--I've kinda put aside all my other acceptances..

@mdhopeful11, When did you apply to Georgetown and hear back? I'm still waiting, though I applied closer to the deadline. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thank you!

application received 3/10-ish, decision received 4/3 :)

I thought I would post an update for future readers as the programs I applied to shifted a tad since my initial post. I applied to PhD programs without a prior masters and had some success! For me, I decided based on fit with the program and my research interests, location, and funding. As I had multidisciplinary interests across health policy, health behavior, and health services research, I sought a program that would support these varied interests and allow me to work across departments.

Good luck everyone; hope to see some of you at UNC!

UGPA:
Major/Minor: Public health
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 159 V, 156 Q, 5.0 writing and 155 V 152 Q and 5.0 Writing
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years of full-time public health research in a DC non-profit; 1 year of accounting work in a provider's office

Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill (PhD in Health Behavior), University of Minnesota (PhD in Health Services Research), Harvard (SM2 in HPM), Emory (Rejected from MSPH in HPM as first choice, accepted for MPH in HPM as second choice), George Washington (MS in Health Policy),
Rejected:University of South Carolina (PhD in Health Policy and Management), Johns Hopkins (PhD in Health Policy and Management)
Waitlisted:
Boston University (MPH in HPM)
Attending: UNC-Chapel Hill (PhD in Health Behavior)

I think I've finally made a decision? I think I'm going to accept at Minnesota! :biglove:

After I decided this last night, I slept so much better than I had the previous nights of indecision leaning towards Colorado, so for some reason this is an indicator to me that this is the right choice.

Even though I hate turning away a scholarship, especially because I'm getting none at Minnesota, I think the scholarship offer [:greedy:] and the geographic location were really the ONLY reasons I was interested in CSPH. The mountains will always be there later in my life. ;)

Growing up with another Big 10 team, it somewhat pains me to say, but... Go Gophers! (But I'm sure I'll get over it! :D)
Congrats I accepted my offer to Minnesota this past Sunday. I am in the Public Health Administration and Policy concentration. What about you?

Michigan HMP or Minnesota PHAP? Both great programs and perks for each. Minnesota will be slightly cheaper, but Michigan is slightly more well known, and I like the internship opportunities at Michigan. Minneapolis and Ann Arbor both seem like great places to be. Any insight from anyone who knows more about these programs?

I don't know much about the Michigan program but I just accepted my offer to Minnesota PHAP. A current student reached out to me and answered some questions I had about PHAP at Minnesota

Undergrad School: small, private (~1700 students)
Undergrad GPA: sgpa: 3.2, nsgpa: 3.7
Major/Minor: Biology / Pre-Med
GRE: n/a
Experience:

• Occupational Health Technician for the past year (running my own medical clinic and responding to injuries)
  • EMT for past 3 years for the NYC-metro area
  • EMT for Red Cross past 3 years; nationally deployed to disaster scenes to assist victims

Applied: Late March to UNE MPH
Accepted: UNE MPH
Rejected: n/a
Waitlisted: n/a

Congrats I accepted my offer to Minnesota this past Sunday. I am in the Public Health Administration and Policy concentration. What about you?
Community Health Promotion. Will probably see you around!

For a while, Michigan/Minnesota was my dilemma, too (granted for different concentrations--I was Michigan HBHE and Minnesota CHP--but still). Though I was somewhat caught up in the perks of the Michigan name (and it IS a fantastic school and program, of course), I decided Minnesota was a better fit for me. At the visit day, they emphasized all their professional resources, their mentor program, the fact that there are many company HQs in the Twin Cities, the networking and community benefits of a metropolitan area like the Cities, and so on. However, I recognize that other people in my boots would have made the opposite choice and would have chosen Michigan. What does your gut tell you?

UPDATE!!

Undergrad School: FIU
Undergrad GPA: 2.8 according to SOPHAS, but 2.9 according to my school...
Major/Minor: Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE March 8, 2014 152V, 149Q. 3.5W or Other Test (if applicable):

• 1 semester research in neuroscience lab
  • AmeriCorps volunteer (Co-Chapter Director)
  • Shadowed doctors domestically and abroad
  • Volunteered in a clinic in a third world caribbean country
  • Unpaid intern with the Florida Department of Health
  • Volunteered with the Red Cross
  • Probably forgetting some things, but I am doing this quickly
  • Don't know if this is relevant, but I am a double URM and first in my family to pursue a graduate degree

Applied: Florida International University (submitted sometime in February), NOVA Southeastern University(submitted early March), University of Miami (mailed by SOPHAS MArch 5), University of South Florida (mailed by SOPHAS March 5), University of North Florida (submitted sometime in February)
Accepted: Florida International University, University of North Florida, UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI (AHHHH!!!)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Still haven't heard back from the last two yet, but frankly I don't care anymore because I got into my dream school!! Now I only hope I can afford it. Has anyone else been accepted into UM and plan to matriculate? When did you get information about financial aid?
+

Last edited:
Congratulations! I am still waiting to hear back from UM (I didn't apply until later in March). Do you know how much UM typically costs per semester?

Well, this is the problem that I'm having right now. The tuition is based on credits. The cost at UM is $1790 per credit and the program is 45 credits total. So your semester tuition will depend on how many credits you are taking that semester. If you do the math, it comes out to A LOT. Check out this link
https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/grad/pdf/Graduate Expenses 2014-2015 as of March 12 2014 (2) 1.pdf

Federal aid for grad students at UM is maxed out at around 10k per semester. At this point I am looking into private loans and praying for scholarships. Will you have the option to live with your parents or will you have to get an apartment too? That is an added expense. God, I hope it is worth it...

Well, this is the problem that I'm having right now. The tuition is based on credits. The cost at UM is $1790 per credit and the program is 45 credits total. So your semester tuition will depend on how many credits you are taking that semester. If you do the math, it comes out to A LOT. Check out this link
https://umshare.miami.edu/web/wda/grad/pdf/Graduate Expenses 2014-2015 as of March 12 2014 (2) 1.pdf

Federal aid for grad students at UM is maxed out at around 10k per semester. At this point I am looking into private loans and praying for scholarships. Will you have the option to live with your parents or will you have to get an apartment too? That is an added expense. God, I hope it is worth it...
Wow.

Just accepted Emory's offer for admission! Thanks again for all the help everyone! I am so excited, relieved, and don't have any regrets. I know I will have an awesome experience at Emory and will receive a phenomenal education. Time to celebrate the end of the admissions process!! :hardy: Good luck to everyone still making decisions in the next few days. I wish you all the best and know that whatever you choose will end up working out great! :biglove:

Reactions: 5 users
accepted at USC - child & family health yesterday! It's certainly going to be hard to pick a school now!

Reactions: 5 users
Question! USC doesn't require deposit to secure a spot? I just received the mail and submitted my intent to enroll, but they never asked about deposit..... Am I missing something here?
You know, I was thinking about that the other day. I'm kind of confused about that. I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know.

I just attended WashU's admitted student weekend and I think I'll end up choosing them! They're giving me the best financial aid package (and I'll still be taking out 60-70k) and I really liked the close-knit feel of the program. It's hard to let go of my previous #1 choice and dream school, BU, especially since I'm going into global health and BU's program is more established. But my mind says go with WashU and my heart is at 60/40 right now.

Reactions: 2 users
I just attended WashU's admitted student weekend and I think I'll end up choosing them! They're giving me the best financial aid package (and I'll still be taking out 60-70k) and I really liked the close-knit feel of the program. It's hard to let go of my previous #1 choice and dream school, BU, especially since I'm going into global health and BU's program is more established. But my mind says go with WashU and my heart is at 60/40 right now.
Congrats! If I had gone through with an MPH, I would have totally picked WashU over my second choice (Columbia). I just couldn't believe how nice and personalized everything was at WashU!

+

Last edited:
Thank you for the link! That was extremely helpful. I would also be living in an apartment, so yes, the price is definitely pretty steep. :confused: What program will you be doing? Also, do you know if it is possible to graduate from the program in three semesters? A few programs that I'm considering allow you to complete the degree in three semesters rather than four, which would be one less semester of paying for an apartment/living expenses in Miami.

Well I currently live in Miami so I went to the open house last week and they actually said that most of their students finish within a year and a half, which I suppose would be three semesters. It absolutely is possible. Some people even do it in one year. Check out this other link:

http://publichealth.med.miami.edu/documents/graduate/One_Year_MPH_Plan.pdf

Also, I am not sure yet if I want to do the MPH or the MSPH, but at the open house, they said we do not have to choose until after our first semester in the program. Which program are you planing to do? Hope this helps.

Is anyone else considering Texas A&M's School of Rural Public Health?
Yes, I am. I have been accepted to the Occupational Health program there and at University of Iowa. I'm trying to make a decision and was wondering if anyone could offer anything about either of those schools.

Also this might be a silly question, but is it okay for me to send intent to enroll forms to both those schools right now and make a decision later once I know what scholarships I get? Thank you!

You would probably have to put down a deposit and lose it (most are non-refundable). It's probs frowned upon as well, but if you need the time then you need the time.
Right, I feel like it would be frowned upon and I do feel bad about it, especially for anyone who is waitlisted. But, I just can't really make a decision until I know all the financial information. I just want to make sure it's an acceptable practice to hold on to two acceptances while waiting for any scholarships. I really like what both programs can offer.

Right, I feel like it would be frowned upon and I do feel bad about it, especially for anyone who is waitlisted. But, I just can't really make a decision until I know all the financial information. I just want to make sure it's an acceptable practice to hold on to two acceptances while waiting for any scholarships. I really like what both programs can offer.
I've been told that you could talk to the admissions to explain the situation and ask for more time. It might just work with some offices... worth a try.

Yep. I have some schools that are okay with it and gave me until the end of the month. One did not.

Yes, I am. I have been accepted to the Occupational Health program there and at University of Iowa. I'm trying to make a decision and was wondering if anyone could offer anything about either of those schools.

Also this might be a silly question, but is it okay for me to send intent to enroll forms to both those schools right now and make a decision later once I know what scholarships I get? Thank you!

+

Last edited: