MPH Fall 2014: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news yet? I'm tempted to email again and ask the deadline for the first round of decisions. Any idea when that is?

EDIT: Just emailed Joanne, we should hear next week!
Thanks for the update, I've been getting antsy too! Unfortunately I also applied for internships through DICAS so it may be too late for me, though I'm not holding out much hope. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all!
Columbia vs Michigan? Unfortunately, I couldn't attend Michigan's admit day two weeks ago and I never had the chance to visit, so it's a huge unknown for me right now. For those who went, and especially those who attend both Columbia as well, what were the vibes you got from the two? How should I approach finding housing for Michigan? Any insider's info?

I know there have been many posts regarding these two schools, but lately I haven't heard much about Michigan. For me, they are roughly the same costs. I am from New York, so going to Columbia would be easier for me, transportation-wise. However, I really want to consider Michigan. I did attend Columbia's visit day so if anyone wants to ask me anything about that, I would be more than happy to help as well!

I also got into Emory, but they aren't offering me that much money, so that makes things difficult. However, if someone is just deadset on Emory and know something that might sway me that direction, do not hesitate to let me know! Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, all!

For those accepted to Tulane, Johns Hopkins and University of Southern California, do you mind sharing how long did it take to hear back from them after the application submission?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for Michigan's or Columbia's program, though I can offer my opinion on Emory. What departments did you apply for at these school?

Hey all!
Columbia vs Michigan? Unfortunately, I couldn't attend Michigan's admit day two weeks ago and I never had the chance to visit, so it's a huge unknown for me right now. For those who went, and especially those who attend both Columbia as well, what were the vibes you got from the two? How should I approach finding housing for Michigan? Any insider's info?

I know there have been many posts regarding these two schools, but lately I haven't heard much about Michigan. For me, they are roughly the same costs. I am from New York, so going to Columbia would be easier for me, transportation-wise. However, I really want to consider Michigan. I did attend Columbia's visit day so if anyone wants to ask me anything about that, I would be more than happy to help as well!

I also got into Emory, but they aren't offering me that much money, so that makes things difficult. However, if someone is just deadset on Emory and know something that might sway me that direction, do not hesitate to let me know! Thanks again everyone!

I did not get accepted and applied at the deadline for Hopkins, though it took a little over two months for me to get a decision. USC is not releasing decisions until May, though I believe if you call them and let them you need to know in advance because decision deadlines are coming up, that they'll expedite the process.

Hi, all!

For those accepted to Tulane, Johns Hopkins and University of Southern California, do you mind sharing how long did it take to hear back from them after the application submission?

Thanks!

Hi, all!

Thanks!

I applied to USC around late Feb/early Mar and was accepted yesterday to the biostats/epi track. I emailed them last Friday to see if it's possible to get a decision sooner and the lady was super helpful. Good luck!

I did not get accepted and applied at the deadline for Hopkins, though it took a little over two months for me to get a decision. USC is not releasing decisions until May, though I believe if you call them and let them you need to know in advance because decision deadlines are coming up, that they'll expedite the process.
Thanks! :)

I applied to USC around late Feb/early Mar and was accepted yesterday to the biostats/epi track. I emailed them last Friday to see if it's possible to get a decision sooner and the lady was super helpful. Good luck!
Thank you! I'll try emailing the programs. :)

Has anyone heard from LSHTM MPH program yet? My application was submitted and complete Feb 3rd.

HiHiii! I just got into USC's biostats/epi program!! OMG!! It's so surreal!! Did you accept their offer yet? :)

YAY!!! Congrats! Yes I did :) Did you? I'm soo excited to attend. Seems like their MPH program is great!

oh! That's smart.. I'm in the same boat too =/ I wonder if they'll do the same for me. Who did you email specifically..Valerie?

Yes Valarie :) I think KCC1223 may have done the same thing because they just got accepted too :) Let me know what Valarie says.

This is definitely true about USC. They're not letting people know until June but yes, if you call them and explain to them you need to know so you know whether or not you should accept another school's offer they'll let you know.

Hi, all!

Thanks!

I applied to USC last December. Heard back last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering applying to USC, though I have a question regarding opportunities available in Southern California for people interested in global health. I understand that the bulk of opportunities for global health are located in San Francisco and Seattle, because of Berkeley/Stanford and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and PATH.

If anyone could share some insight on research and work opportunities in Southern California, I would deeply appreciate it.

I can't speak for Michigan's or Columbia's program, though I can offer my opinion on Emory. What departments did you apply for at these school?
I'm doing BSHE at Emory, SMS at Columbia, and HPM at Michigan

YAY!!! Congrats! Yes I did :) Did you? I'm soo excited to attend. Seems like their MPH program is great!

I haven't received the Intent to Enroll form (they said it'll come in the mail) but I am definitely taking the offer! Yay, I am so excited too! I'll probably see you around!! Trojans :D

I'm considering applying to USC, though I have a question regarding opportunities available in Southern California for people interested in global health. I understand that the bulk of opportunities for global health are located in San Francisco and Seattle, because of Berkeley/Stanford and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and PATH.

If anyone could share some insight on research and work opportunities in Southern California, I would deeply appreciate it.

You may find this blog helpful - http://uscglobalhealth.blogspot.com/
USC also has a global health leadership track. Some students went to WHO for their practicum as well. Hope this limited response help a bit :)

Hi, all!

Thanks!

I applied to JHU and still have not heard back yet. I applied about a week before the deadline.....

Hi, all!

Thanks!

For Johns Hopkins my application was sent for review on October 10, 2013. I heard back February 27, 2014. This is for the MHS degree program in epidemiology. MPH works differently and I believe is on a rolling basis.

For Johns Hopkins my application was sent for review on October 10, 2013. I heard back February 27, 2014. This is for the MHS degree program in epidemiology. MPH works differently and I believe is on a rolling basis.
Thanks for responding!

I'll give it some extra time and will try contact via email afterwards...

Has anyone heard from LSHTM MPH program yet? My application was submitted and complete Feb 3rd.

Another poster, EpiGuy, applied as soon as applications opened in Nov/Dec for the MSc CID and didn't hear back until late March so I think we have a while yet and I don't think they're sticking to the 6-8 week window. I applied Feb 11 and haven't heard yet. Good luck!

So I sent in my deposit...

And I'm OFFICIALLY going to be attending Boston University!!!

Anyone else going to BU?! I would love to connect with you guys! :)

I sent my deposit in last Friday!!!! What's your program?? I hope to hear a confirmation soon that they got it!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the update, I've been getting antsy too! Unfortunately I also applied for internships through DICAS so it may be too late for me, though I'm not holding out much hope. Good luck!!

I got in!!! Good luck to you!

Any news yet? I'm tempted to email again and ask the deadline for the first round of decisions. Any idea when that is?

EDIT: Just emailed Joanne, we should hear next week!
I got in!!!! Just found out. Good luck to you, let me know what happens!!

CONGRATS!! Did you get an email from the grad school to check the website or directly from the department?
Thank you! I got an email to check my status on the applyourself website. The acceptance just says MPH nutrition but since my SOPHAS application was for the MPH-RD program I find that weird, but I guess it's just assumed.

oops it was just from the graduate school, does that make a difference?

Thank you! I got an email to check my status on the applyourself website. The acceptance just says MPH nutrition but since my SOPHAS application was for the MPH-RD program I find that weird, but I guess it's just assumed.

oops it was just from the graduate school, does that make a difference?
Was just wondering which email account I need to be watching ;) No word yet...

I sent my deposit in last Friday!!!! What's your program?? I hope to hear a confirmation soon that they got it!

Oh yay!!! Finally someone else who is going too :D

I'm going to be in the epidemiology program! What about you?! And where are you from?

We should exchange emails or something! :)

Was just wondering which email account I need to be watching ;) No word yet...
oh gotcha, well I definitely wasn't expecting it today. Got the email this morning at 7:50am (CA time) but the acceptance letter was dated yesterday. Good luck!!!!

oh gotcha, well I definitely wasn't expecting it today. Got the email this morning at 7:50am (CA time) but the acceptance letter was dated yesterday. Good luck!!!!
ugh I bet I'm rejected then if you got the email a couple of hours ago ;( This is going to be a long day/weekend until I hear!

has anyone heard from uci, yet?
Hello,
I actually heard from UCI in early March (March 4th) via email. They sent me an official letter a few days later. I would definitely check your email (like spam folders) or call just in case. Best wishes to you, though! I hope you get in!

Did anyone attend the U of Washington MPH Admitted Students Day yesterday? I didn't get a chance to go and I'd love to hear how it went, how the professors were, the facilities, etc. Please feel free to PM too. Thank you Thank you!!

Oh yay!!! Finally someone else who is going too :D

I'm going to be in the epidemiology program! What about you?! And where are you from?

We should exchange emails or something! :)

I got into Epi too!! :highfive: I want to do the double concentration in Epidemiology and International Health. I'm from Seattle - what about you?? Is there a way to private message my email?

I got into Epi too!! :highfive: I want to do the double concentration in Epidemiology and International Health. I'm from Seattle - what about you?? Is there a way to private message my email?
I think I private messaged you but check your inbox on this website to make sure :)

Still struggling to decide between Columbia and U of Washington.. Anyone else choosing between those two?????

Reactions: 2 users
Undergrad School: State school
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: bio
GradGPA n/a
Grad Studies
GRE n/a
Other Test

Applied: Super late and complete in late January to Columbia MPH, Yale MPH, Hopkins MPH
Accepted: Hopkins, Yale, Columbia
Rejected:
n/a
Waitlisted: n/a

Going to Hopkins

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't received the Intent to Enroll form (they said it'll come in the mail) but I am definitely taking the offer! Yay, I am so excited too! I'll probably see you around!! Trojans :D
I guess I was too filled with excitement to realize that they mail the Intent to Enroll form (LOL!). You'll definitely see me around! *Fight On* :D

How horrible are we talking here?:D
Like, 288 horrible?:(

Congrats though. Thanks for the hope.

Yup! That's like actually what I got haha! And thank you! You'll be fine we literally got the same score.

For those who know they'll be declining, please do so, so that those wait listed folks can get a shot. I heard last week that wait listed people might start hearing back this week in time for the deadline.

Reactions: 4 users
Undergrad School: State school
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: bio
GradGPA n/a
Grad Studies
GRE n/a
Other Test

Applied: Super late and complete in late January to Columbia MPH, Yale MPH, Hopkins MPH
Accepted: Hopkins, Yale, Columbia
Rejected:
n/a
Waitlisted: n/a

Going to Hopkins

+

Last edited:
Hey everyone!! Congrats on your acceptances and good luck on deciding! I was wondering if anyone knows is it possible to place a deposit at more than one school? I'm still deciding and don't know which program to choose.

Yes, you can. Hope this helps!

Hey everyone!! Congrats on your acceptances and good luck on deciding! I was wondering if anyone knows is it possible to place a deposit at more than one school? I'm still deciding and don't know which program to choose.