Move over 2005......2006 SDNers are here!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OKKKKKK.....

Now that the brouhaha of the 2005 match is slowly waning down (Thats life for you folks!!!!.... :laugh: ), I thought i might as well start the posting cycle for (Yes Andy.... i promise ill be regular in posting) the new breed of SDN ers up for 2006 Pathology match......I know Brian Pavlovitz is one of them....Im Quant....hopefully looking at a 2006 match.....
Rest of you folks on the bandwagon.....post on...!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I, too, am hoping to match in Pathology in 2006! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Plow said:
I, too, am hoping to match in Pathology in 2006! :thumbup:
Mr. Plow, that's my name. That name again is Mr. Plow.

beary said:
May our 2006 pathology match be as successful as the 2005 SDNers!!

Amen to that beary.....after looking at the 2005 match, im beginning to see a pattern....the number of postings on SDN seems to be in some sort of direct correspondence to how well you do on the match......(I love seeing patterns.... :) )
So all ye lurkers there, start posting up (Who am i kidding? im lurker - numero uno!!)....but im hoping to change all that....
Nice to know you beary and Mr Plow....

In the words of Lord Alfred Tennyson (with apologies...)

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow;
The (2005) year is going, let him go;
Ring out the 2005, ring in the 2006!!!!!!

2006 here we come.................

Excellent - Tennyson.

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of (Path)
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward the Light Brigade!
Charge for the (scopes)!" he said.
Into the valley of (path)
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd.
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die.
Into the valley of (path)
Rode the six hundred.

quant said:
the number of postings on SDN seems to be in some sort of direct correspondence to how well you do on the match......(I love seeing patterns.... :) )

Then I'm guaranteed my #1 choice!! :laugh:

quant said:
Nice to know you beary and Mr Plow....

Nice to know you too!!

Im not a huge fan of poetry...
But, "The charge of the light brigade" is one poem which NEVER EVER fails to move me.....partly because of stuff i did in an earlier life.....BUT i think it is one of the best poems written .......EVER,EVER,EVER!!!

My favourite of all time....."The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost...The greatest American poet i think.....

quant said:
Im not a huge fan of poetry...
But, "The charge of the light brigade" is one poem which NEVER EVER fails to move me.....partly because of stuff i did in an earlier life.....BUT i think it is one of the best poems written .......EVER,EVER,EVER!!!

Who wrote "the charge of the light brigade"? (Please forgive my poetry ignorance). I will look it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you - I agree that it is a very powerful poem.

I am so poetry dumb that I did not even realize that you had posted part of that particular poem already. :oops:

beary said:
I think it is awesome that the inaugural 2006 thread turned into a poetry thread. :laugh:

Excerpt: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/stc/Coleridge/poems/Rime_Ancient_Mariner.html

Down dropt the breeze, the sails dropt down,
'Twas sad as sad could be ;
And we did speak only to break
The silence of the sea !

All in a hot and copper sky,
The bloody Sun, at noon,
Right up above the mast did stand,
No bigger than the Moon.

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion ;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink ;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.

The very deep did rot : O Christ !
That ever this should be !
Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea.

About, about, in reel and rout
The death-fires danced at night ;
The water, like a witch's oils,
Burnt green, and blue and white.

The Tyger
William Blake

Tyger Tyger. burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat.
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp.
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears
And watered heaven with their tears:
Did he smile His work to see?
Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

beary said:
I think it is awesome that the inaugural 2006 thread turned into a poetry thread. :laugh:

I agree it is really nice to see this thread turn into a poetry thread.....However that is quite characteristic of a Path thread in general. Starts as something and ends up being quite different!!! I think we ought to strive to maintain that tradition in the coming year.....what say beary?

yaah said:
The Tyger
William Blake

Tyger Tyger. burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat.
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp.
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears
And watered heaven with their tears:
Did he smile His work to see?
Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

That is another classic yaah......quite an impressive poem

BamaAlum said:
I'll also be bringin' it in 2006!!

Welcome Bama Alum......nice to have you here

quant said:
The imagery of Coleridge is hauntingly eerie!......you can almost sense being there!!!
What do you say yaah?

Shelley as well!

And like a dying lady, lean and pale,
Who totters forth, wrapp'd in a gauzy veil,
Out of her chamber, led by the insane
And feeble wanderings of her fading brain,
The moon arose up in the murky East,
A white and shapeless mass.

yaah said:
Shelley as well!

And like a dying lady, lean and pale,
Who totters forth, wrapp'd in a gauzy veil,
Out of her chamber, led by the insane
And feeble wanderings of her fading brain,
The moon arose up in the murky East,
A white and shapeless mass.

I never came across that poem...i must look it up! but i agree the imagery is powerful......

HEYYYYYYYYYY
I hit 100+ posts!!!!.....im on my way Andy!!!!!!!!

quant said:
I agree it is really nice to see this thread turn into a poetry thread.....However that is quite characteristic of a Path thread in general. Starts as something and ends up being quite different!!! I think we ought to strive to maintain that tradition in the coming year.....what say beary?

I agree that we should absolutely maintain that tradition!! The more randomness, the better I say!!

quant said:
HEYYYYYYYYYY
I hit 100+ posts!!!!.....im on my way Andy!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!! Us 2006 SDNers are taking over already. :)

I love the "postastic superstar" title suggested by banana. I need to think of a good title. Unfortunately, my thesis is sucking so much of my brainpower at this point that I am incapable of coming up with any more original thought. It is due in a week - at this point I will just be happy to hand the thing in even if I am not happy with it.

Long-time lurker, first time poster, and 2006 Path SDNer

'Nother 2006 Path applicant sounding off.

phoenixFI said:
Long-time lurker, first time poster, and 2006 Path SDNer

Welllllllllllcooooommmmmmmeeeeeeeee Phoenix and Elk!!!!.......

I am waiting for someone to announce their presence with:

It's early morning
The sun comes out
Last night was shaking
And pretty loud
My cat is purring
And scratches my skin
So what is wrong
With another sin
The bitch is hungry
She needs to tell
So give her inches
And feed her well
More days to come
New places to go
I've got to leave
It's time for a show

Here I am, rock you like a hurricane

My body is burning
It starts to shout
Desire is coming
It breaks out loud
Lust is in cages
Till storm breaks loose
Just have to make it
With someone I choose
The night is calling
I have to go
The wolf is hungry
He runs the show
He's licking his lips
He's ready to win
On the hunt tonight
For love at first sting

beary said:
Congrats!!! Us 2006 SDNers are taking over already. :)

I love the "postastic superstar" title suggested by banana. I need to think of a good title. Unfortunately, my thesis is sucking so much of my brainpower at this point that I am incapable of coming up with any more original thought. It is due in a week - at this point I will just be happy to hand the thing in even if I am not happy with it.

Hey beary what is your thesis on????

bananaface said:
Butter pecan ice cream is totally awesome.

You can have any flavour........ as long as it is chocolate!!!!

(With apologies to that icon of car building.....Henry Ford!!!!)

quant said:
Hey beary what is your thesis on????

CFTR gene transfer to airway epithelia using adenovirus. It's mostly about how much CFTR do you need per cell, how many cells, what type of promoter to use, etc. Pretty fun stuff. What has been driving me nuts though is that about a year ago I totally switched projects and have been studying cilia in Bardet-Biedl Syndrome. That project is more exciting to me since so little is known about it (people have been doing CFTR gene transfer for more than ten years now) but I haven't made enough progress to put it in my thesis. But I would rather be doing experiments on that than writing about stuff I am not even working on anymore. Oh well, one more week. I am sure that once I am back in the clinics I will long for the lab!

Do you do research quant?

quant said:
OKKKKKK.....

Now that the brouhaha of the 2005 match is slowly waning down (Thats life for you folks!!!!.... :laugh: ), I thought i might as well start the posting cycle for (Yes Andy.... i promise ill be regular in posting) the new breed of SDN ers up for 2006 Pathology match......I know Brian Pavlovitz is one of them....Im Quant....hopefully looking at a 2006 match.....
Rest of you folks on the bandwagon.....post on...!!!!!

Hell yeah!! Looking forward to interacting with all of you (as well as our new pathologists-in-training). Now, if only 3rd year would be OVER!!!!! :mad:

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Hell yeah!! Looking forward to interacting with all of you (as well as our new pathologists-in-training). Now, if only 3rd year would be OVER!!!!! :mad:

Goes on forever, doesn't it?

geddy said:
Mr. Plow, that's my name. That name again is Mr. Plow.

Darn straight!

Unfortunately,my career as the mullet-sporting lead guitarist to a path-metal band has ended. On to bigger and better things.. PGY-1 in 2006!

If the aforementioned correlation between posts and match results is true, I'll end up at Univ. of Guadelajara if I don't start postin'. Better brush up on that espanol... si senor. Donde esta el banyo? Tu madre?

Nice to be back. Third year almost killed me, almost. :D

Oh yeah, and chocolate rules. Hey Easter bunny, bring on some of those Cadbury eggs.

beary said:
CFTR gene transfer to airway epithelia using adenovirus. It's mostly about how much CFTR do you need per cell, how many cells, what type of promoter to use, etc. Pretty fun stuff. What has been driving me nuts though is that about a year ago I totally switched projects and have been studying cilia in Bardet-Biedl Syndrome. That project is more exciting to me since so little is known about it (people have been doing CFTR gene transfer for more than ten years now) but I haven't made enough progress to put it in my thesis. But I would rather be doing experiments on that than writing about stuff I am not even working on anymore. Oh well, one more week. I am sure that once I am back in the clinics I will long for the lab!

Do you do research quant?

That is really cool stuff Beary....So i assume you are MD/PhD? i think it is really nice....yes i do research beary, Im doing my PhD .......looking forward to hopefully winding it up in time for next year s match.....(Only a miracle will... :laugh: )

Brian Pavlovitz said:

It will be soon enough Brian.....it always does.... :) !!!!

quant said:
That is really cool stuff Beary....So i assume you are MD/PhD? i think it is really nice....yes i do research beary, Im doing my PhD .......looking forward to hopefully winding it up in time for next year s match.....(Only a miracle will... :laugh: )

Yes I am in the MD/PhD program. Is that what you're doing too? Did you do all your clinical stuff before starting grad school? I still have one year of med school left :thumbdown:

Brian Pavlovitz said:

Hi Brian, I saw in your "location" that you are fighting rotavirus - I hope that you don't actually have that yourself! I had that once and I was sick as a dog. I'm sure AndyM would have stories to share if he has ever had rotavirus. :) Anyway, get well soon if you do have it.