More Credits?

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does one have to prove or demonstrate for the Dean to approve taking more than the maximum limit of credits? I notice some people on here transgress that limit from semester one--how?

Members don't see this ad.

It just depends on the dean, and I think it would be rather hard to do for the first semester. For the second semester you could show awesome grades from the first and show your ability.

Though I would highly advise against taking more than 19-20 units (which is often the limit). ESPECIALLY your first semester, I wouldn't take more than 15.

It just depends on the dean, and I think it would be rather hard to do for the first semester. For the second semester you could show awesome grades from the first and show your ability.

Though I would highly advise against taking more than 19-20 units (which is often the limit). ESPECIALLY your first semester, I wouldn't take more than 15.

I'm simply attempting to fit calculus into my schedule freshman year without compromising my hopes of exploring other subjects. Would I actually be required to present my reasons to the dean in person? I don't know how this works. :p

1. I'd only be taking three new classes, and one of those is a research class that doesn't give homework. The rest of my classes are retakes from high school AP classes.

2. I really want to explore other subjects freshman year, without compromising my end goals of graduating.

3. If that many credits ends up being too many to handle, I'll drop a class in the approved dropping period, before a W has to be added to my transcript.

I think this sounds reasonable? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hehe, well it sounds like you've got good reasons. Like I said before it really depends on the dean, some just rubber stamp the application.

Also, I think I've only had about 4-5 classes in my entire college career that assign regular homework, so homework really isn't what builds up! :p And watch out for research, some PI's can be totally awesome, and others can be total nazis, but I find research overall to be very enjoyable, and it's great that you're getting into research so early!

Hehe, well it sounds like you've got good reasons. Like I said before it really depends on the dean, some just rubber stamp the application.

Also, I think I've only had about 4-5 classes in my entire college career that assign regular homework, so homework really isn't what builds up! :p And watch out for research, some PI's can be totally awesome, and others can be total nazis, but I find research overall to be very enjoyable, and it's great that you're getting into research so early!

Haha, thanks. :) Research just sounded too interesting to turn down--and my school has an especially exciting lab I wanted to join the following semester!

Ohh, well, studying then. The problem is that if I end up with any free time at all that semester, those three classes are what I would do with it anyway! So, I don't really see the problem. :D

At my school, it really wasn't too difficult to have extra credits approved. For first semester freshmen, though, there was a firm 19 credit upper limit.

After the first semester, anything over 21 needed dean's approval, which basically consisted of a form and a paragraph explaining why you need the extra credits, and how you know you won't fail. I'd suggest that you just play around with the number of credits you take - some people do better with more, some people do better with more. Just find out which group you fall into.