Community College Credits???!!!!

Newbie888

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know if Medical schools look down upon me if I take my pre-med courses at a community college. Im in high school right now a junior with 3.6 GPA. I dont want to go to a 4 year university because I want to save money for medical school. So what do med schools think of taking pre-med courses at a community college? Planning to major in Biomedical engineering or Astrophysics.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to know if Medical schools look down upon me if I take my pre-med courses at a community college. Im in high school right now a junior with 3.6 GPA. I dont want to go to a 4 year university because I want to save money for medical school. So what do med schools think of taking pre-med courses at a community college? Planning to major in Biomedical engineering or Astrophysics.
Yes. Try to take Premed pre-reqs at a 4 year. Try to major in something easy. You cant save money for medical school unless you or your parents are wealthy. Good Luck

Reactions: 1 user
What are the pre-med courses? Why is taking it at a 4 year better than at a community college? I though those science classes you took at a community college are required for transfer into a 4-year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the pre-med courses? Why is taking it at a 4 year better than at a community college? I though those science classes you took at a community college are required for transfer into a 4-year.
1 year of chem, 1 year of physics, 1 year of bio, 1 year of orgo, .5 year of biochem. Look at the school you want to apply to , they have different requirements and may look at CC classes differently, some schools dont even accept CC classes for pre-reqs. CC classes tend to be easier compared to a 4 year school according to their thinking.

Last edited:
Apparently for Biochemistry, which I like because it sounds fun and I like Bio and Chem, UCSB says it recommends taking general chemistry and organic chemistry at a community college, but it says that I have to take General Biology prior to transfer. Should I take General Biology again once I transfer into UCSB? Im kinda of confused. Can someone help?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So what do I do now?

Since you are a high school junior I suggest just living life. Have fun in high school. You won't be applying to med school for 5-6 years. Things change rapidly so don't worry about stuff like this now. See what happens when you get to college.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Should I take all my pre-med courses at a 4-year university instead or at a community college?

Should I take all my pre-med courses at a 4-year university instead or at a community college?

It would be ideal to enter a 4-year university right out of high school and take all your pre-med courses at your university. The perceived level of difficulty of a university plays a small role in admission decisions. (e.g. it is expected that a given GPA from Yale is better than the same GPA from Southern Connecticut State University or the University of New Haven, two nearby schools with a much less competitive admission process.)

Last edited:
I would also be more reasonable about your eventual medical school list if you are planning on fulfilling requirements at CC. Admission to a medical school is possible. But your state schools and schools that do not have outright policies against taking pre-reqs at CC would be a better option. Alternatively you could go to CC and depending on the transfer agreement you could not take any pre-reqs at the CC to fulfill the transfer requirements and then take all the pre-reqs at a 4 year. The problem with the last strategy is that you would have to take, chem, phy, bio, together as a JR and then take orgo and biochem as a senior in addition to fullfilling any upper level requirements for your degree. This would mean that graduating in 4 years may be more difficult.

@Newbie888 It is difficult to give you personal advice when you have no college stats. The first thing is whether you're trying to save money because you're broke right now or if you're trying to save money down the road. Comparative cost per credit of college courses without federal assistance is about $1000-$1200 for 3-4 credit science course. Whereas at a community college it's approximately $300-400 for a comparative 3-4 credit course. These statistics with respect to NJ/NY applying to public and private schools (excluding NYU). Transfer fees and transcript paperwork comes out to around $100.

The second thing is opportunity cost: Value of 4 year college - $$$ saved. Value is ascertained in terms of how medical schools will judge you based on the rigor of community v. college credits. To be frank this value is incalculable. This is because out of all applicants, 2-5% of students matriculate into any given medical school. Therefore it is hard to gauge whether or not attending a community college alone is what sinks your application outside of that target zone for many MD schools. Holistic factors here and there can push you up or down depending on GPA/MCAT, extracurriculars, and life experience. Because you're tabula rasa (clean slate) you should want to raise any factors you can of increasing your admission rating by any metric, even if its speculative. Which is why people here will tell you to pursue a 4-year if you aren't currently pressed into an economically disadvantaged position. Because in the long term, the value of a medical school admission far outweighs $$$ saved once you begin to receive your income as a physician.

The third thing is that subsidized government loans are available for pursuing your undergraduate degree. Stafford loans are non-interest accruing loans that only begin after you graduate from college. Many medical students accumulate loans and pay it all back after becoming a physician. A big reason to pursue a CC is if you have doubts that you want to become a physician and might want to consider ancillary healthcare positions that evaluate community college credits with equal disposition to a bachelor degree granting institution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Strongly consider combined programs if you are still in high school, can get Stellar grades and SAT scores, already have strong exposure to medicine (shadowing, volunteering).

I already volunteer at a local hospital. Im in the Medical Magnet of my high school. Do med schools look down upon community college students?

It's school specific if medical schools accept CC courses. You can take your intro level science courses at a CC, transfer and take upper level courses at a university. That would be sufficient, and as long as you do well on the MCAT I don't think it would matter.

Or you can take your general education courses at a CC and take your science courses at a university.

So if I take the intro courses at a CC and major in like Biology or Biochemistry, do well on the MCAT, Med schools won't care?

Apparently for Biochemistry, which I like because it sounds fun and I like Bio and Chem, UCSB says it recommends taking general chemistry and organic chemistry at a community college, but it says that I have to take General Biology prior to transfer. Should I take General Biology again once I transfer into UCSB? Im kinda of confused. Can someone help?

With regard to general biology, a lot of medical schools will count more than gen bio toward your bio requirement. Check the school, but you could likely take 2 sem gen bio at CC, then at UCSB take say molecular bio, genetics, physiology, embryology, cell bio etc or some other upper division bio.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There are schools that will straight up not accept cc pre-req credits. Your grades may also suffer upon transferring to a 4 year because you may not be expecting the added rigor. Youay not be well prepared for the MCAT due to cc.
I did what you are talking about and would not recommend it.
Go to your state school if you can the cost differential will probably not be excessive.
The best advice here is to try for the MD/bs program.

So if I take the intro courses at a CC and major in like Biology or Biochemistry, do well on the MCAT, Med schools won't care?
You will need to figure out which schools accept and don't accept CC courses. Once you have done that, you can decide if you want to take science courses at a CC. The transition to university may be a little difficult. If you can prove yourself by doing well in upper-level courses, and the MCAT it won't matter.

No need to worry. Do what's best and get a high GPA. And start volunteering

You will need to figure out which schools accept and don't accept CC courses. Once you have done that, you can decide if you want to take science courses at a CC. The transition to university may be a little difficult. If you can prove yourself by doing well in upper-level courses, and the MCAT it won't matter.

No need to worry. Do what's best and get a high GPA. And start volunteering

You can major in anything you find interesting. As long as you're above a 3.75 you will be fine

Here is a taste of the discrimination that CC pre-reqs may face. You should also buy an MSAR to look at schools you are thinking about.
I am copying a post from @gonnif the pragmatic purveyor of pugnacious puns.
"
A few thoughts:

1) There still may be a few medical schools that do not formally accept CC courses or some specific subset of them, but that is a small minority now.
2) As several as said, it depends on context of your coursework and background. If you go from a CC directly to 4 year where you take upper level science, it has less issue.
3) Just because you can do it, doesnt mean that it will make you as competitive as possible. (see list below)
4) This has to be put in your context of overall application

There are some medical schools that directly speak to this idea of community college courses. This may give a little better insight in how the underlying “culture” or “attitude” of admission committee members, whether a formal policy or not, may perceive applicants who choose summer or community college coursework. While this list is not exhaustive, it is representative enough to help advise students who are considering such a step.

SUNY Upstate College of Medicine
http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php
“Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.”

Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
http://icahn.mssm.edu/education/medical/admissions/regular-track/requirements
Q: Can I take my courses at a community college, or must I take them at a four-year college or university?
A: We have no requirement about where you take courses, though the Committee on Admissions does take that into consideration in evaluating your application.

Johns Hopkins Medical School
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/admissions/md/application_process/prerequisites_requirements.html
The School of Medicine accepts prerequisites completed at the community college level. In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with community college prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution.

University of Florida College of Medicine
http://admissions.med.ufl.edu/faq/#community_college
Q: Can I take the prerequisite courses at my local community/junior college?
A: In order to create the most academically competitive application you should take all prerequisite courses at the most competitive bachelor’s degree granting institution where you can gain entrance. You should try to complete your pre-requisite courses at a four-year institution

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx
Whereas course work at a four-year college or university is our benchmark, if a student chooses to meet a competency component via an alternate route such as through laboratory experience, through an advanced placement course, a course taken at a community college, a course taken abroad (during a semester abroad for which the undergraduate U.S. degree-granting institution gives credit, or for which AMCAS will verify and report the grade), or an online course, he or she should seek guidance from his or her advisor to ensure that the option meets the above guidelines as well as the rigorous academic standard required by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

George Washington University
http://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/md-program/admissions/faqs#communitycollege
Do you accept community college credits?
Yes. The Committee on Admissions does accept coursework taken at a community college; however, it is preferable to have the pre-medical coursework taken at a four-year college or university.

Florida State University College of Medicine
http://med.fsu.edu/?page=mdAdmissions.admissionRequirement
Listed below is the pre-requisite coursework required for all matriculates to the FSU COM. Advanced Placement, CLEP, and dual enrollment credits fulfill the course requirements. However, courses taken in a traditional classroom at a four-year institution are considered to be more academically competitive.

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
https://medicine.temple.edu/education/md-program/admissions/requirements
Two pre-requisite science courses can be fulfilled with AP credits, community college courses or through a study abroad program.

Texas A&M Health Sciences Center College of Medicine
http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/admissions/apply/index.html
Policy on AP Credits, Credits by Exam, and Dual Credit
We generally prefer that applicants take the prerequisite courses at 4-year accredited colleges and universities rather than utilize advanced placement credits, credits by exam, dual-credit, pass/fail course work or community college courses. We do not dismiss these credits; and, if they have been taken, we will accept them toward meeting the prerequisites. In fact, if an applicant has placed out of a required level course, we will also accept another course in that discipline at the same or higher level. Again, our preference is that applicants take graded courses at 4-year institutions, particularly the prerequisites in the biological sciences and the chemistry series.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq/#q43
Are community college classes accepted as prerequisite course credit?
They may be, but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a four-year undergraduate institution.

Yale
https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx
Pre-medical courses must be completed in a U.S., U.K., or Canadian college or university. U.S. Community College courses are acceptable, provided that the courses include laboratory work and are comparable in content to courses at four-year colleges, universities, or institutes of technology.

Weill Cornell
http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_faq.html
Can I take my prerequisite courses at a Community College?
It is not recommended.

The National Society of Nontraditional Premedical and Medical Students
is proud to be a partner organization of SDN

Why are all the med schools in California hard to get into. Im now afraid I won't get into any med school in California because Im going to a community college.

Why are all the med schools in California hard to get into. Im now afraid I won't get into any med school in California because Im going to a community college.
California is a competitive state. Their stats are higher, also lots of Asians applying for Med school in Cali.

Many people in California want to go to medical school. Many Californians end up in private schools in other states. Some of them are able to return to California for residency.

If you are only a junior in HS, nothing is carved in stone. Work hard, raise your HS GPA, volunteer, get some exposure to medicine (it sounds like you are doing this) and consider BS/MD or BA/MD programs. You have about a year to prepare your application for those and you can always have a regular college BA or BS as a fall back plan. Unless you aren't good enough to get into a 4 year college right away, avoid the CC. Whether it is true or not, they are not considered as rigorous as the top colleges and universities in the country.

So basically all of you guys are saying that I won't get into medical school because Im taking my pre-med courses at a community college?

So basically all of you guys are saying that I won't get into medical school because Im taking my pre-med courses at a community college?
No one has said that, to the contrary I said I took my pre-med courses at CC and got into medical school. We are saying it will be more difficult. only 40% of people applying to medical school get into medical school CC or not. It is not an easy task. So why even disadvantage yourself even slightly if you have the option not to.

I took Organic Chemistry and Biology at CC (both 1-year prerequisites) and I was accepted at an MD school.

I supplemented these at the local university with Biochemistry and more advanced biology classes (assuming these mattered at all).

So basically going to a community college is a minor thing med school pays attention to?

I want to know if Medical schools look down upon me if I take my pre-med courses at a community college.

Some schools will. Some schools will not accept pre-med courses taken at a community college (CC). See above for more information about schools that do not accept CC credits.
Im in high school right now a junior with 3.6 GPA. I dont want to go to a 4 year university because I want to save money for medical school. So what do med schools think of taking pre-med courses at a community college? Planning to major in Biomedical engineering or Astrophysics.

Taking pre-med courses at a community college is frowned upon by some school and not permitted by others.

Unless you have no choice (in the military, academically unqualified for university, non-traditional in need of post-bac classes), do not go to community college if your goal is medical school.

If I complete some of my pre-med courses in CC, then proceed to UCSB and major in Biochemistry, will med school not care if I go a CC or not?

If I complete some of my pre-med courses in CC, then proceed to UCSB and major in Biochemistry, will med school not care if I go a CC or not?

Some schools will care and some won't. Why limit your options when it is well known that only 37% of California residents who applied were admitted to a US medical school?

If you are set on saving money by going to CC, maybe it is for the best because chances are, you won't be going on to medical school and therefore graduating with less debt will be for the best.

Reactions: 2 users
They won't.

@LizzyM is lowering my self-esteem on getting into medical school because Im going to a community college and @LizzyM is making me feel like Im not smart enough to go to medical school if I go to a CC first. Has anyone gone to a CC and gotten into med school? All in all, do med schools care if you attend a CC or not? Does a Biochemistry major compensate for the pre-meds taken at a CC?

Last edited:
No, you're not paying attention.

Get into college first, and then worry about med school.

And just do well...that's what admissions committees in med school want.

We also don't care about about your self esteem.

Reactions: 3 users
@LizzyM is making me feel like Im not smart enough to go to medical school if I go to a CC first. Has anyone gone to a CC and gotten into med school? All in all, do med schools care if you attend a CC or not? Does a Biochemistry major compensate for the pre-meds taken at a CC?

ALY8hFvUs_vErvkw9GUuGdrvcb66rk63c1VqPgFo1OakCDWtPEIMfos6q28.pagespeed.c.ce.0oY61WGBFEsii-Htu3f-.gif=rwu-w360-h146

when you mean get into college, do you mean any college, CC or 4-year?

@LizzyM is lowering my self-esteem on getting into medical school because Im going to a community college and @LizzyM is making me feel like Im not smart enough to go to medical school if I go to a CC first. Has anyone gone to a CC and gotten into med school? All in all, do med schools care if you attend a CC or not? Does a Biochemistry major compensate for the pre-meds taken at a CC?
What she was trying to say is that 95% of students don't make it into med school, ultimately. That's not to knock you, and has nothing to do with your choice to attend community college, it has to do with how hard of a process it is to get in for anyone that goes to any college.

What she was trying to say is that 95% of students don't make it into med school, ultimately. That's not to knock you, and has nothing to do with your choice to attend community college, it has to do with how hard of a process it is to get in for anyone that goes to any college.

95% or 55% ?

If I major in biochemistry, will it compensate for the 2 years I spent at a CC for the pre med requirenments?

95% or 55% ?
Well out of the people that actually end up applying to medical school 60% do not get in. There are probably countless others that wanted to go to medical school but dropped out after orgo, or couldnt bring themselves to take the mcat. So the 60% number is the low end. It could be that only 5% of people who start off as pre-med going to college end up matriculating at medical school. I would bet that the number is closer to 1-5% rather than 60%.

Well out of the people that actually end up applying to medical school 60% do not get in. There are probably countless others that wanted to go to medical school but dropped out after orgo, or couldnt bring themselves to take the mcat. So the 60% number is the low end. It could be that only 5% of people who start off as pre-med going to college end up matriculating at medical school. I would bet that the number is closer to 1-5% rather than 60%.

oh gotcha

Im just afraid that attending a CC, which my parents say that it's cheaper and cost-effective, will heavily impact my chances at getting accepted into a medical school. Will attending a CC affect my chances?

Im just afraid that attending a CC, which my parents say that it's cheaper and cost-effective, will heavily impact my chances at getting accepted into a medical school. Will attending a CC affect my chances?
Heavily? probably not

after you transfer, keep up a solid GPA, score high on the MCAT, make good relationships with your profs for LOR, make sure to have meaningful volunteer and/or research and you will be just as good as any other candidate. I would not take more than 2 pre-reqs at CC, and as its recommended if you do take pre-reqs you can help your application by taking additional upper division classes in whatever the subject is. try to take chemistry and orgo at your 4 year

Thanks! But some of my Biochemistry major requires that I take Biology and Chemistry before transfer, which are both pre meds. What should I do regarding this fact?

Thanks! But some of my Biochemistry major requires that I take Biology and Chemistry before transfer, which are both pre meds. What should I do regarding this fact?

after you transfer, take upper division biologies like genetics or molecular biology.

if you are up for the challenge you may be able to supplement taking gen chem at CC with a semester of Pchem; although, if you do well in organic and biochem I don't think it would be a huge deal..

Asking the same question again and again and expecting a different result may affect your chances. Seriously if you just want to hear the answer you want then why even ask?

btw are you planning on spending 1 year or 2 years at CC