Community College Credits???!!!!

@LizzyM is lowering my self-esteem on getting into medical school because Im going to a community college and @LizzyM is making me feel like Im not smart enough to go to medical school if I go to a CC first. Has anyone gone to a CC and gotten into med school? All in all, do med schools care if you attend a CC or not? Does a Biochemistry major compensate for the pre-meds taken at a CC?
you are completely missing the point

its not about you not being smart enough. its about how adcoms of medical schools view the rigor of coursework at a CC whether you like it or not

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan to spend 2. Is that bad?

if you must start at CC I would really try to only spend 1...

listen, if it's for the money, an extra year or two of ugrad will ultimately be negligible in the long run. If you become a doctor, as long as you are not stupid with your money you will be able to pay off any loans you take with time

I spent my freshman year at CC because I was forced to. but if it was up to me, I would have liked to start at my 4 year

spending 2 years will mean probably having to take more than a few pre-reqs, and your GPA will be mostly from community college which, as others are saying, may not look as competative. of course anything is possible and the MCAT can be a make or break, but i would stick to just 1 year or 0 years

Members don't see this ad :)
300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

when you mean get into college, do you mean any college, CC or 4-year?

Reactions: 3 users
Im just afraid that attending a CC, which my parents say that it's cheaper and cost-effective, will heavily impact my chances at getting accepted into a medical school. Will attending a CC affect my chances?
It can, yes, particularly at top schools, some of which don't take CC science credits. But for the most part no. I mean, I went to community college, and look at me now, third year hoping to go on to anesthesia, IM, or psych.

Is it possible to not take any pre-med courses at the CC? I mean, wont majoring in Biochemistry cover general Bio, Chem, Organic Chem, and Physics?

Ok that's covered. Not taking any pre-med in CC. Does majoring in Biochemistry cover most if not all the pre-med requirements?

you are completely missing the point

its not about you not being smart enough. its about how adcoms of medical schools view the rigor of coursework at a CC whether you like it or not
That wasn't the point at all, actually.

Most adcoms don't care about the rigor of the coursework, so long as you have upper division work in the same subject elsewhere and MCAT scores that reflect you mastered the material. I took more than half of my prereqs at CC, but scored in the 96th percentile, so no one even said a word about it on interviews because it was clear I learned what I needed to.

Reactions: 2 users
Despite having the most helpful people in all of SDN post their answers here, OP has asked the same question over and over again. I wish I had the patience of you all.

It's generally accepted to avoid taking classes at CC (as opposed to a 4yr Uni) if possible as the financial savings now aren't worth the loss of benefits to the strength your medical school application later.

If taking classes at a CC early on in your college career is unavoidable, ensure that advanced-level science classes are taken later on. Also, I believe going this route also places more pressure on the applicant to crush the MCAT.

I want to know if Medical schools look down upon me if I take my pre-med courses at a community college. Im in high school right now a junior with 3.6 GPA. I dont want to go to a 4 year university because I want to save money for medical school. So what do med schools think of taking pre-med courses at a community college? Planning to major in Biomedical engineering or Astrophysics.
I did prerequisites at cc and had no trouble getting in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN mobile app

When you mean higher science classes, such as organic chemistry,molecular chemistry etc.?

4th year Orthopedic surgery resident here! Contact here or PM with questions!

Dr. Webb

Not going to matter.

An A is an A no matter where you go.

Much of the same people giving me **** about going to a CC and not to a 4 year are A) not applying to med school anymore... or B) in the Caribbean.

Do what you have to do but bust your butt!