Mississippi State 2021 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh by the way--don't be on the edge of your seat all day. I didn't get emailed until 6 PM.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hypothesize that interview invites go out today because Missy said in her email that the office is closed starting tomorrow...

Reactions: 3 users
I hypothesize that interview invites go out today because Missy said in her email that the office is closed starting tomorrow...
I hope you're right because the wait is killing me haha :arghh:

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my rejection. Bummer. Good luck to everyone who gets an interview!!

Just got my rejection. Bummer. Good luck to everyone who gets an interview!!
Are you in state or OS? I was rejected too. IS. I got an interview last year and my application is much better this year. I don't get it.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejection also. Good luck guys!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in state or OS? I was rejected too. IS. I got an interview last year and my application is much better this year. I don't get it.
I'm IS and I got rejected as well. I thought my application was pretty decent. At least decent enough for an interview.

Wow that is really weird. I'm sorry to hear that :( I'm OOS... first time applying to Mississippi

OOS invite :).

Rejection, OOS. Goodbye everyone, I'll remember you all in therapy.

OOS Invite!! :soexcited:

I'm IS and I got rejected as well. I thought my application was pretty decent. At least decent enough for an interview.
I got an interview last year but didn't get in. In my application review, they told me to get more clinical experience and more varied experience, so I got more shelter clinic experience, private practice experience, and equine, but this year, that's not good enough. I don't know what else I can do. Maybe this year's pool of applicants is a lot more competitive than last year's. This is it for me, though. I have an interview with Auburn, so hopefully that will go well.

Congratulations to those with interviews! maybe I'll be an interview mentor for some of you if that practice returns this year :) in the meantime feel free to PM with any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

To those who recieved a rejection today, do not take it to heart. this particular year seems pretty rough for admissions across the country. State does do file reviews in some capacity so definitely look into that. good luck on any other applications! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to those with interviews! maybe I'll be an interview mentor for some of you if that practice returns this year :) in the meantime feel free to PM with any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

To those who recieved a rejection today, do not take it to heart. this particular year seems pretty rough for admissions across the country. State does do file reviews in some capacity so definitely look into that. good luck on any other applications! :)
Why are admissions rough this year? Are there a lot more applicants than usual?

They are doing mentors this year! The email made mention of having freshman and sophomores answer any of our questions and be there to greet us at the pizza party! :)

Why are admissions rough this year? Are there a lot more applicants than usual?

I realize my evidence is anecdotal but looking at other threads it appears that way. Colorado had something along the lines of 2000!

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite , OSS but WV resident so it's a different situation.

As a side topic, for this pizza party..what exactly is "casual"? Do they mean business casual or jeans and t-shirt casual?

Interview invite , OSS but WV resident so it's a different situation.

As a side topic, for this pizza party..what exactly is "casual"? Do they mean business casual or jeans and t-shirt casual?

I wore a sweater and jeans, and so did alot of others. you definitely don't want to be too fancy or wear difficult shoes as envoys will probably be walking you around the school.

I wore a sweater and jeans, and so did alot of others. you definitely don't want to be too fancy or wear difficult shoes as envoys will probably be walking you around the school.

Yea, the e-mail made it sound like all the touring type activities would be happening at the party rather than the interviews. Good to know. Thanks.

Invite! Woohoo! Hope to see some of you there! I'm excited about their mentor program!

OOS interview invite!

How is everyone getting there? They said the closest airport is like 2 hours away?

OOS interview invite!

How is everyone getting there? They said the closest airport is like 2 hours away?

What about the Golden Triangle Airport near Columbus?

I realize my evidence is anecdotal but looking at other threads it appears that way. Colorado had something along the lines of 2000!
I think CO actually got a little over 2100 applicants this year (previous years averaged around 1500-1600). I've heard a lot of other schools cracked 1000 applicants for the first time. Definitely a very competitive cycle this year.

OOS interview invite!

I'm coming in from California to Jackson. It's a much cheaper option for me ($320 round trip flight, not including car/hotel). The flights alone in Columbus were near $550. I hope Columbus is cheaper for you!!

I'm coming in from California to Jackson. It's a much cheaper option for me ($320 round trip flight, not including car/hotel). The flights alone in Columbus were near $550. I hope Columbus is cheaper for you!!

Hey, I'm originally from California! Everyone always asks why I moved to Mississippi, hope you come to MSU and find out :)

What about the Golden Triangle Airport near Columbus?
My parents live in South Carolina so I might fly to Columbia, pick up my car and drive. If I do and there are others coming through Columbia on the same day (Feb 6), maybe we can figure out a carpool. I'll let ya'll know and maybe we can figure something out!

Last edited:
OOS interview invite!

Hey! I go to msu as a grad student now, and the closest airport is GTR (Columbus), its a super small airport but its only 30mins away. From my experience GTR seems to be more expensive than the larger airports like Jackson (2 hours away) and Birmingham AL (2.5 hours away), and there are generally not many fights on Sundays (becomes an issue if there are any delays or flight cancellations), but there is a shuttle that can take you from the airport to starkville if you didn't want to rent a car. The link for the shuttle service is: https://www.smart.msstate.edu/schedule-and-routes/gtr-express/
Good luck!

IS interview! Super excited!! For those that haven''t heard anything yet, don't forget to check your junk/spam folder, I had to hunt my email account in order to find it....

What was the interview like for you? Sorry I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure how to work this thing super well yet!

What was the interview like for you? Sorry I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure how to work this thing super well yet!

Well, it was really a blur for me but I'll try my best to recall!

It was my first interview from the schools I interviewed at and it was a very laid back environment. my panel was selected according to my interests and experience--mainly my interest in small animal/shelter medicine and my research experience. one had my file the whole time and knew everything about me, and I believe one knew nothing about me.

It really started out just wanting to know more about me--be yourself! we talked about my experiences and my research and they wanted to see how passionate I was about my topic. they asked me to tell them one interesting thing I had discovered.

I was asked about current events--something along the lines of name one current change in the profession that you think is a good thing? My parents drove so I used my 6 hour car ride there to look at current events, research and legislation.

I did get quite a few behavioral questions thrown my way which I wasn't told to expect. because I want to be a shelter vet, I was asked how I would handle compassion fatigue. they also asked me what was a time I had to take charge in some of my leadership positions. I'll add more if I remember it.

Just be you and speak well of yourself! :)

Reactions: 3 users

It was my first interview from the schools I interviewed at and it was a very laid back environment. my panel was selected according to my interests and experience--mainly my interest in small animal/shelter medicine and my research experience. one had my file the whole time and knew everything about me, and I believe one knew nothing about me.

It really started out just wanting to know more about me--be yourself! we talked about my experiences and my research and they wanted to see how passionate I was about my topic. they asked me to tell them one interesting thing I had discovered.

I was asked about current events--something along the lines of name one current change in the profession that you think is a good thing? My parents drove so I used my 6 hour car ride there to look at current events, research and legislation.

I did get quite a few behavioral questions thrown my way which I wasn't told to expect. because I want to be a shelter vet, I was asked how I would handle compassion fatigue. they also asked me what was a time I had to take charge in some of my leadership positions. I'll add more if I remember it.

Thank you for that insight!! I'm also interested in small animal/shelter med. so it's good to know to expect questions regarding it. :)

Thanks!! That is super helpful!!

Thanks!! That is super helpful!!

No problem! I really think they tailor the interview process to who you are as an applicant and the questions you are asked may be completely dependent on who is on your panel. because of that I feel it may be tricky to tell you exactly what to expect. just go in there and be yourself--getting selected to interview means you already have what they look for in an applicant as far as academics go. now you just have to show them who you are :)

I just declined my interview so hopefully there will be an opening for someone! Good luck everyone! :)

So for the pizza party...how casual is casual? Like jeans and a nice shirt?