Mississippi State 2021 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockatiel

Woke chihuahua
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm beginning my first year at State on June 23rd as an OOS student. Saw some of you were interested so I thought I'd take the initiative to start the thread. For now I can answer questions on the application process and what to expect, later I'll tell you some about the school and Starkville once I get settled. I can tell you right off the bat that everyone here is a huge family and there's always a friendly face. Hope to see you at interviews. Hail State!

Members don't see this ad.

One of my LOR writers graduated from MSU and loved it. She is fairly young, but a phenomenal vet. I had to cross Mississippi off my list when I saw that repeated courses have to be complete before submitting applications. Unfortunately, physics was created by satan himself (almost positive of this), so I have to retake this fall. :(

So I'm trying to match prerequisites on VMCAS to their app and have a few questions.
1) For their COMM credit, do they want english/writing included with this?
2) There is one that just says electives for 15 credits. Is this supposed to be the humanities/social sciences category that's on their website or can we just put any classes in this category?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm trying to match prerequisites on VMCAS to their app and have a few questions.
2) There is one that just says electives for 15 credits. Is this supposed to be the humanities/social sciences category that's on their website or can we just put any classes in this category?

1) maybe but I'm not sure. It's six credits right? Because I had 1 3 hr comm and another writing class I think? I'd contact them and ask this one. Don't wanna put the wrong thing.
2)according to the website, you do need the 15 hours of humanities. So I assume that's it!

I think I'm going to apply here- OOS :)

Reactions: 1 user
I've also been doing some research about the school and I'm interested in either the DVM-PhD or DVM-MS degree. Leaning more towards the DVM-MS degree. Anyone have any experience with trying to get accepted?

I've also been doing some research about the school and I'm interested in either the DVM-PhD or DVM-MS degree. Leaning more towards the DVM-MS degree. Anyone have any experience with trying to get accepted?

:hello:

For regular pool, yah. I didn't apply for dual degree though, but I think while I'm here I may take up the MS in epidemiology or population control if I stay the shelter med route. I'm still thinking on it though. They let you start it after matriculation, too. You'd just have to appLy directly to the grad school at that point, but it's a seamless process overall.

I do know for the dual program you will most likely have to do extra work on the supplemental as far as writing out your PhD goals. At the same time, I think applying for this dual degree does not eliminate you from a chance at the regular pool. Past threads, those accepted got two different notifications.

If you get an interview there will be a presentation given by the man from the grad department whose name I cannot remember to save my life! I was super impressed with the research going on at the school. An aquatic pathologist was actually on my interview panel he was the one I remebered becuase we connected pretty well.

Additionally, it was mentioned at some point that the CVM was 4th in the nation for matching residencies. Becuase we know how rankings go in this profession, I'll leave it to someone who knows better than I do if that's relevant to the success of the program, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Hey @rockatiel ... So if I'm understanding correctly, you apply to the MS program after you get accepted as into the DVM program? Whereas, with the PhD dual degree, you apply simultaneously? Such a big decision! I'm into One Health and pathology (as you know) so this could be the smart way to go, but not sure if I'll change my mind! I'll have to do some digging on here for successful applicants to see the kind of stats they have.

Hey @rockatiel ... So if I'm understanding correctly, you apply to the MS program after you get accepted as into the DVM program? Whereas, with the PhD dual degree, you apply simultaneously? Such a big decision! I'm into One Health and pathology (as you know) so this could be the smart way to go, but not sure if I'll change my mind! I'll have to do some digging on here for successful applicants to see the kind of stats they have.

Nope! In the supplemental in VMCAS, there's going to be a check box that asks if you'd like to be considered for the dual degree. If you check yes I imagine Dr. Meiring or someone will send more information after you submit. But if your like me, and kinda gained more interest in it after the fact, you can apply once you're here as well. I know One Health is HUGE here, and though I don't know much about path, I think there's a lot of it going on too. the average GPAs of those matriculated are on the website somewhere. MSU is not as forthcoming with stats as other schools, for some reason. One thing I'd look at is OOS tuition. You can't get out of it if you're offered a non resident seat, and it's actually $3-4K higher this year than what's on the website. My prediction is that it will probably rise past $50k before I graduate.

Wow... yes cost is a major factor for me so thanks for letting me know. Choosing schools is so difficult. It be so nice just to get into my IS :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wow... yes cost is a major factor for me so thanks for letting me know. Choosing schools is so difficult. It be so nice just to get into my IS :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I wouldn't worry about applying to 5+ schools if you're not confident you'd attend somewhere if it was the only place you got in. While I've doubted it at times bc of cost I loved this school the moment I set foot inside to tour. It's like I almost knew it's where I'd end up :) so I'm trusting the process of this is where I'm just supposed to be. I don't tell you about the price tag to discourage you, because it's not like it's much different from any other OOS option, but it's just hard to say if tuition hikes will continue. I hope to god not.

I specifically asked Dr. Meiring about the Comm requirement as it was listed on VMCAS and English/comp is included in that

Members don't see this ad :)
Additionally, it was mentioned at some point that the CVM was 4th in the nation for matching residencies. Becuase we know how rankings go in this profession, I'll leave it to someone who knows better than I do if that's relevant to the success of the program, but just thought I'd throw that out there.
I can only give anecdotal evidence (I'm heading to MSU next month for my rotating internship), but I figured I'd share anyhow. MSU has a history of taking interns that they believe can go straight to a residency, rather than going through multiple internships/going into private practice. (I'm assuming that's what you meant as far as matching residencies, rather than graduating 4th years who end up in residencies). One of the surgery residents at Mizzou did his internship at MSU and went straight into his residency.

I apologize for reviving a quiet thread, but I wanted to add myself to the group of hopefuls!

I was one of those kiddos who was gung-ho on starting the VMCAS the day it opened, convinced I would be spending way too much time on SDN, then finals and life happened and I've been slacking on the VMCAS ever since... But it's time to get back to it now! Wishing ya'll good luck! :horns:

There is a confusion between what it states on VMCAS for Mississippi vs. what their website says. I called MS and talked with Missy Hadaway, and she said they require what is on their website which is the following:

• Writing - 6 Semester Hours
    English composition is suggested

• Speech or technical writing - 3 Semester Hours
    A fundamentals of public speaking course OR a Jr/Sr level technical writing course
  • Humanities, Social/Behavioral Sciences and Fine Arts - 15 Semester Hours
    15 semester hours of any combination of the humanities, social/behavioral sciences and fine arts courses
She says she doesn't know why in VMCAS it does not say the same amount of credits as their website requires.

Hi! I have Mississippi on my list, but unsure if I will actually apply here. I have never been to Mississippi, and do not know a whole lot about the school. I have heard good things, but do not know much. How much hands on experience is there in the beginning and throughout the four years? What is the area like? Is it like a city or farmland? What is the interview like if anyone knows? What do they have specifically that is great at this school? Do they have a high case load and see SA, LA, exotics and wildlife? Any help will be great since I am trying to figure out whether or not to apply.

Hey! I heard that Mississippi starts classes in July sometime, and is that every year? When do they end their classes? Do they have a longer year in comparison to other schools? When do most other schools start and end their year? This will help me decide if I should apply! Thanks!

There is a confusion between what it states on VMCAS for Mississippi vs. what their website says. I called MS and talked with Missy Hadaway, and she said they require what is on their website which is the following:

A fundamentals of public speaking course OR a Jr/Sr level technical writing course
  • Humanities, Social/Behavioral Sciences and Fine Arts - 15 Semester Hours
    15 semester hours of any combination of the humanities, social/behavioral sciences and fine arts courses
She says she doesn't know why in VMCAS it does not say the same amount of credits as their website requires.

Thanks! Another question, for the writing requirements, I took an English composition I course and a technical writing course. I used public speaking course for the other 3 required. Do you think this would be ok or should I call them? Just was wondering if you might know?

Thanks! Another question, for the writing requirements, I took an English composition I course and a technical writing course. I used public speaking course for the other 3 required. Do you think this would be ok or should I call them? Just was wondering if you might know?

When I talked to her on the phone, she said they want two english composition courses totaling at least 6 semester hours. I did not ask about any other english courses to satisfy the "writing" prerequisite since I have two english comp classes to fill this requirement. From what I copy and pasted from their website (which I have done again here), shows under "writing" they want english composition. The other prerequisite is "speech or technical writing". I would assume your technical writing course would go under the second category. My assumption would be you would have to still take two semesters of english composition (which most vet schools require anyway). If you aren't applying to any that require two comp classes specifically, I would send Mississippi a syllabus of all of the english courses you have taken along with your speech and technical writing, and see what satisfies.

The only other option if they do require two english comp courses, is to hold off until spring semester to take one. You will most likely know by then if you get an interview, so then you will know if you do need to take it.

After emailing Miss State, they said I could use English comp I, technical writing, and public speaking to fulfill the communication requirement so that was a relief!

I'm also a hopeful, thought I would add my name here and watch for questions :corny:

Hey ya'll! I've been following this thread for many months, but been so preoccupied with the VMCAS and other summer work and busy-ness that I've never posted anything or actually read many posts :whistle: but I'm here now and would like to introduce myself. I'm applying this cycle to Mississippi State (IS) and one other school in my "home state" (actually OOS, as I've changed residencies since starting undergrad in MS). I've only visited MS State a couple of times but I've met and talked to the Dean of Admissions, Dr. Meiring, a few times, and I know a handful of their students from 1st to 4th years due to my proximity to them and the fact that all 4 doctors at my workplace graduated from MS State (affectionately referred to as State).

My application is nearly ready to submit, but I was going to sneak around here on SDN to get a couple questions answered before I do so. I will try to answer a few of ya'll's questions as well from what knowledge I have gleaned from my vet student friends and acquaintances, the MS State alumnus that I've talked to and worked with, etc. Good luck everybody!

:biglove:

Hi! I have Mississippi on my list, but unsure if I will actually apply here. I have never been to Mississippi, and do not know a whole lot about the school. I have heard good things, but do not know much. How much hands on experience is there in the beginning and throughout the four years? What is the area like? Is it like a city or farmland? What is the interview like if anyone knows? What do they have specifically that is great at this school? Do they have a high case load and see SA, LA, exotics and wildlife? Any help will be great since I am trying to figure out whether or not to apply.

In case you do decide/have decided to apply -- MS State is a 2+2 vet school, which means they have 2 years of heavy academic work, and 2 years of clinical, hands-on work. The alternative is usually 3+1 (only 1 year of clinical work), so they are generally seen to have more hands-on experience than your typical vet school. Students I know have said that the first 2 years hardly see any hands-on work unless you join clubs or have your own connections during school breaks, and the last 2 years consist of rotations lasting several weeks, and you choose your rotation schedule (including classroom rotations and breaks), as long as you fulfill the requirements.

The area is very rural. Starkville itself is a good-sized town with everything that you need, but you need not drive more than 5 minutes to be in rolling farmland or forests. Most of central to north Mississippi is like this. As a lifelong suburban/city dweller, I've found it to be a welcome breath of fresh air, but it definitely takes time to get used to.

I've been told by applicants and current/past students that interviews consist of 3 faculty/alumnus interviewing one person at a time. Interview length varies. Interviews seem to be heavily weighted in MS State's admissions. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm aiming to go to this school because I like the location, the cost, the 2+2 system, and the fact that they don't push you to "track" your learning. In other words, you learn both large and small practice and need only choose a focus when you are choosing your rotations/externships. Since I'm interested in both and don't particularly want to choose, this seems like the right fit for me. And to answer your next question, they therefore do see lots of SA/LA and wildlife, but exotics (and others, like aquatics) can be limited. Caseload is high for SA/LA/wildlife since this is the only vet school in a state laden with both many pets and many small farms.

Hey! I heard that Mississippi starts classes in July sometime, and is that every year? When do they end their classes? Do they have a longer year in comparison to other schools? When do most other schools start and end their year? This will help me decide if I should apply! Thanks!

I asked a friend who just finished her first year but forgot the specifics :oops: I believe she said classes start at the end of June/beginning of July the first year, and then at the end of July the years after that, but don't take my word for it. They start you earlier and have you take slightly more credits the first semester in order to set you up for success. My friend says this method really helped her ease into the heavy course load. I'm not sure how this compares to other schools.

I am also a c/o 2021 hopeful (IS). I applied and interviewed this past cycle and didn't get in. So, if anyone has any questions about the process or what to expect, I am happy to share my experience.

I hate asking this stupid question but is their supplemental just the few questions within the "program materials" on vmcas? Their website just says its on vmcas but I can't tell if that's it or not.

I hate asking this stupid question but is their supplemental just the few questions within the "program materials" on vmcas? Their website just says its on vmcas but I can't tell if that's it or not.
That's it for their supplemental application...just the few questions on vmcas.

I just got an email from MSU letting me know they received my application. They said to look for an email around mid-December indicating whether or not I received an interview. I can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an email from MSU letting me know they received my application. They said to look for an email around mid-December indicating whether or not I received an interview. I can't wait!

Same here, good luck!

Same here, good luck!
I looked back at my emails from last year, and I received the invitation to interview on Dec. 17. The interview was on Jan. 26 and found out the next week I didn't get in. I'm an instate resident. The dates for OS may be different. Good luck to everyone!

Quick question: I'm making my spring schedule and was wondering...I need one more upper level science course to fulfill Mississippi's requirements. I listed one course that I originally planned to take on VMCAS in the future semesters section but I've decided I kinda of want to take a different class instead. Do you think makes a difference as long as its still an upper level science class (if it matters, I was planning on taking an anatomy class but am in love with physiology and now want to take a more specific advanced physio class)?

Quick question: I'm making my spring schedule and was wondering...I need one more upper level science course to fulfill Mississippi's requirements. I listed one course that I originally planned to take on VMCAS in the future semesters section but I've decided I kinda of want to take a different class instead. Do you think makes a difference as long as its still an upper level science class (if it matters, I was planning on taking an anatomy class but am in love with physiology and now want to take a more specific advanced physio class)?
I would imagine that if you email or call them and give them a heads up it probably shouldn't be an issue!

I would imagine that if you email or call them and give them a heads up it probably shouldn't be an issue!
Thanks. I actually went ahead and shot an email to Dr. Meiring and he got back to me already. He said no issue.

Had the same question when I applied lol. It is definitely a non issue. Sorry I didn't see this sooner!

Had the same question when I applied lol. It is definitely a non issue. Sorry I didn't see this sooner!
Oh your fine! I assumed it was a non-issue but you know what they say about assumptions haha...just thought I'd check!

How's school?

I looked back at my emails from last year, and I received the invitation to interview on Dec. 17. The interview was on Jan. 26 and found out the next week I didn't get in. I'm an instate resident. The dates for OS may be different. Good luck to everyone!
What were your interview questions like last year?

Can anyone tell me the dates interviews are held?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
I don't know exact dates, but I got an email saying that "Interviews will be held in late January and early February and final admissions decisions should be made by early March."
Not sure if this helps you any or if you had gotten the same email and were hoping for a more specific answer than the email had given.

What were your interview questions like last year?
Most of my clinical experience and interests are in shelter medicine, so most of my questions were related. They asked me about no kill and kill shelters, trap and return programs, pet overpopulation problems and solutions, etc. They also wanted to know if I had any experience with equine or large animals, how I study, and what I do to relieve stress. I think most of the questions come from your personal statement and experiences. It was a 30-minute interview and went really quick. The evening before interviews, they had a social with tours of the school and provided an opportunity to talk to current students. Attending the social and talking to others made me feel more at ease about the interview. You also find out that evening when your interview will be the next day. On interview day, you will have an orientation session first thing in the morning, and then you come back for your interview, or wait around, depending on when you are scheduled.

Reactions: 1 users
Just received an email confirming interview dates:
"(1) We plan to complete our application reviews by early December, and you should receive email notification from us no later than December 23 regarding your interview status, i.e. whether or not you received one. Please keep an eye on your email.

(2) Interviews are scheduled for January 30, 2017-February 1, 2017 and for February 6, 2017 thru February 8, 2017."

The wait is almost over!!

"(1) We plan to complete our application reviews by early December, and you should receive email notification from us no later than December 23 regarding your interview status, i.e. whether or not you received one. Please keep an eye on your email.

(2) Interviews are scheduled for January 30, 2017-February 1, 2017 and for February 6, 2017 thru February 8, 2017."

Got the same email! Not too much longer!

I got that too!

There's interviews on my birthday this year! I heard about my interview on the evening of Dec 17th last year (everyone whether MS or not heard at the same time I think) but since those interview dates run a few days later than whay we had, that may not hold true for this year. even then, the 17th seems to be a consistent date for past threads. Just relax and it will come when it will. My invitation to interview and my acceptance call came at the moments I was least expecting them ;)

Reeeeeally late reply, but I can answer your questions. Last I heard, the program is on a stand-still for accepting new DVM-PhD students by the traditional method listed on the website, but that has not been officially decided for this year yet. Traditionally, interested students would indicate on their supplemental application that they are interested. They would then be sent an additional application with essays, and from there, the committee would choose candidates to interview. Interviews for the dual-degree program were held on the same day as the DVM interviews. The dual-degree committee would then choose who they want to accept from the candidates accepted for the DVM program. The dual-degree application and dual-degree interview does not affect decisions for the DVM program. They are completely separate and chosen by separate committees, but you have to be accepted by both programs to become accepted into the dual-degree program. The big plus here is that they offer a generous amount of financial support, but on the downside, you are required to make a decision fairly quickly about your PhD mentor.

For those who are undecided or do not get into the dual-degree program by the application above, there is another way. If you find at any time during your program that you are interested in a PhD or Masters, they are very willing to make accommodations and tailor your schedule to that interest. In fact, there will be presentations and talks during the DVM program that encourage it. The students who pursue a graduate degree are able to take graduate classes during breaks in rotations and count some graduate credits towards your DVM. The only downside to this method is that you don't get all the same guaranteed financial benefits (scholarships, partial tuition waiver, etc), but on the positive end, it lets you explore your options and take time to decide if that's what you really want.

How much hands on experience is there in the beginning and throughout the four years? What do they have specifically that is great at this school? Do they have a high case load and see SA, LA, exotics and wildlife?

Students I know have said that the first 2 years hardly see any hands-on work unless you join clubs or have your own connections during school breaks, and the last 2 years consist of rotations lasting several weeks, and you choose your rotation schedule (including classroom rotations and breaks), as long as you fulfill the requirements.

I'm aiming to go to this school because I like the location, the cost, the 2+2 system, and the fact that they don't push you to "track" your learning. In other words, you learn both large and small practice and need only choose a focus when you are choosing your rotations/externships. Since I'm interested in both and don't particularly want to choose, this seems like the right fit for me. And to answer your next question, they therefore do see lots of SA/LA and wildlife, but exotics (and others, like aquatics) can be limited. Caseload is high for SA/LA/wildlife since this is the only vet school in a state laden with both many pets and many small farms.
Late reply again (since I haven't been on SDN in forever), but I can answer some of these questions before I disappear at some point again. If you have specific questions, you can PM me, and I'll get a notification in my email even when I'm not on SDN (at least I have in the past).

Live-animal hands-on experience is limited your first year to one neuro lab and any club meetings that offer it (2nd year students run the clubs). While most time is spent in the classroom second year, you do get a decent amount of hands-on with live animals through your small animal, equine, and food animal labs.

Rotations (3rd and 4th year) range from 2-8 weeks. Most major rotations are 6 weeks (8 weeks if on over the holidays) especially during your 3rd year. The 3rd and 4th year schedules run from May-to-May, but you will have time off during the year (unless you're a dual-degree student). The breaks vary from student to student to make sure there are students on each rotation at any given time. Scheduling isn't always fair, but everyone can't get everything they want, otherwise there wouldn't be enough students around at all times. Almost all of your 3rd year is made up of required rotations unless you choose to pursue an elective or externship on your break. More than half of the required graduation credits during the 4th year curriculum are open for electives, advanced clinical rotations, externships, and independent study. You are permitted to fit up to 4 weeks of NAVLE study time into your schedule. There are guidelines that control the maximum credits of each category (and things are subject to change), but it gives you a lot of freedom. I'd say that's my favorite part of the program.

As far as exotics and wildlife, it's somewhat limited but also what you make of it. There are exotic animal labs scattered within the curriculum, and there is a special species course that everyone takes second year. Besides the labs, the exotics you get to see on rotations vary depending on what happens to show up at that time. I'd say the rotation that involves the most wildlife and exotic experience is a required externship at the referral center in Jackson during 4th year. Additionally, there is an aquatic health rotation elective and there have been plans for an exotic animal elective. That being said, the large amount of freedom in the curriculum allows you to pursue experience in these areas, and it's not hard to find it within the curriculum, you just have to know where to look.

If you are interested in aquatics or chickens specifically, there are many opportunities to get involved if you choose to pursue them. In fact, we have labs in different parts of MS that focus on these animals. Our school is huge into fish research (especially catfish - we are recognized by FAO as a Center for Knowledge on Aquatic Health). There is not a lot of focus on these animals in the curriculum itself, but it's really easy to find ways to get involved in either the fish or chicken health research. In fact, the faculty like it when there is interest and will gladly help you get involved.

So if I'm understanding correctly, you apply to the MS program after you get accepted as into the DVM program? Whereas, with the PhD dual degree, you apply simultaneously? Such a big decision! I'm into One Health and pathology (as you know) so this could be the smart way to go, but not sure if I'll change my mind! I'll have to do some digging on here for successful applicants to see the kind of stats they have.

You've got that mostly right. For the Masters, yes. For the PhD, you can apply either way. You should PM me if you are still considering MSU. I may be able to offer some advice for your specific questions.

Thanks for the replies guys! I didn't apply to Mississippi. I still want to do dual degree, but I think I want to wait and do this when I'm in a pathology/lab animal residency. That way I can just focus on classes in vet school and figure out if path is the way I wanna go.

We should all hear this week about interviews. I'm getting nervous! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users