Midwestern Glendale Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interview 2/5, too! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys! Do you know how to find roommates for off campus?

This is the official facebook for Midwestern's class of 2019, it was made by one of their students who was a student ambassador (at least she was on the day of my interview). There are faculty and current students in the group already that you can talk to about housing.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/849577745140185/

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I have no idea how roommates work. I hope they do make a Facebook page soon!

This is the official facebook for Midwestern's class of 2019, it was made by one of their students who was a student ambassador (at least she was on the day of my interview). There are faculty and current students in the group already that you can talk to about housing.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/849577745140185/

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone from the interview date 12/4 hear back yet??

Hey there! I interviewed on 12/4 too and got a phone call maybe an hour and a half after I left Midwestern saying I got accepted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)
Also Lacey did end up making that facebook group for our class that she mentioned during the student panel. Here's the link to it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/849577745140185/

Does anyone who got accepted already mind sharing your stats?

I'm not sure what specifically you are looking so I'll give you as much as possible:
-Interviewed 12/4 and accepted later that day (the admissions department called me about an hour after I left)
-PCAT Composite: 91st
-PCAT Bio: 89th
-PCAT Chem: 85th
-Undergrad weighted GPA: 3.71
-PharmCAS total GPA: 3.68
-PharmCAS science GPA: 3.54
-Undergrad B.S. in Biological Sciences with a focus on genetics, cell, and developmental biology
-I also have over a years experience working full time for a PBM (CVS Health)

Doesn't really matter because I was on the alternate list, but I pulled my app last week. Good luck to everyone who's waiting.
Were you on alternate list And they pulled your app later? i got another email saying my app is on hold...

I'm not sure what specifically you are looking so I'll give you as much as possible:
-Interviewed 12/4 and accepted later that day (the admissions department called me about an hour after I left)
-PCAT Composite: 91st
-PCAT Bio: 89th
-PCAT Chem: 85th
-Undergrad weighted GPA: 3.71
-PharmCAS total GPA: 3.68
-PharmCAS science GPA: 3.54
-Undergrad B.S. in Biological Sciences with a focus on genetics, cell, and developmental biology
-I also have over a years experience working full time for a PBM (CVS Health)

I worked at CVS Health for about a year too! I was in the Prior Auth dept.

Were you on alternate list And they pulled your app later? i got another email saying my app is on hold...

No I interviewed and was placed on the alternate list and then I decided to pull my application from further consideration.

Lacey is awesome! She mentioned doing interviews on 12/4... hoping it was mine. One of our residents went to school with her. :)

If there are any MWU AZ c/o 2020 who want to go lifting or learn raquetball please hit me up. :banana::banana::banana:

For those who received an invitation for interview, do you receive it via email or your portal account? I ask this since I didn't receive it via email. When I received an email from MWU to create my account, I noticed that I have been invited to an interview so I scheduled mine in my portal account. After that, I received a confirmation email. Is it OK if I did not receive my invitation via email?

For those who received an invitation for interview, do you receive it via email or your portal account? I ask this since I didn't receive it via email. When I received an email from MWU to create my account, I noticed that I have been invited to an interview so I scheduled mine in my portal account. After that, I received a confirmation email. Is it OK if I did not receive my invitation via email?

That's what happened to me too. I think they're just slow with emails. :p

Members don't see this ad :)

I called and the nice lady up front told me that I was invited for an interview. :)
Then she said it updates at midnight so I received the email then and scheduled it in my portal. Hope that helps!

Has anyone received the background check email from certiphi?

We only had to submit our PharmCAS application to them, right? No additional stuff?

If anyone else has decided on MWU Glendale campus and looking for housing/roommates, please message me!! :) I'll be moving there from California and aiming to lease an apartment nearby, likely the ones across the street from campus. :D

Does anyone know when the interviews run up til?

I am currently trying to figure out the dates but I am considering scheduling for late February.... but I hope that wont be too late.
I would like to know about this too :/

I would like to know about this too :/
If I remember correctly mine ended around 2:00, give or take 30 min. I don't think the end time on the interview invitation email was far off for the day I went.

I interviewed on Jan 15, 2016. Does anyone receive a call or email about acceptance? I know it's been just a week. A dean told us that the adcom are meeting while we have a panel with him and he would know who is going to be accepted by the time he gets to his office. Waiting is killing me ;)

I interviewed on Jan 15, 2016. Does anyone receive a call or email about acceptance? I know it's been just a week. A dean told us that the adcom are meeting while we have a panel with him and he would know who is going to be accepted by the time he gets to his office. Waiting is killing me ;)

What does it look like when you log into your page where you set up the interview? There could be a status there. I intereviewed a week before you and they had status updates by Saturday morning on your logins, but emails took a while.

I also interviewed on January 15! I received a phone call from them about my acceptance two hours after we left. Then they sent me an e-mail saying my application is under review followed by the official acceptance e-mail on the 19th. Hopefully you heard back from them :)

I interviewed yesterday and got a phone call on my way back to the hotel that I was accepted! Woot! Woot!

Anyone interviewed on January 29 hear anything back yet? Should I be worry that I haven't heard anything back?

Last edited:
I had my interview end of jan and i got accepted 2 hours after i left the interview. Does anybody know if this school is worth it? Would u choose chicago or arizona? I know one is 4 years the other is 3. But what are the chances of getting a good job or residency after the arizona program?

I had my interview end of jan and i got accepted 2 hours after i left the interview. Does anybody know if this school is worth it? Would u choose chicago or arizona? I know one is 4 years the other is 3. But what are the chances of getting a good job or residency after the arizona program?
I got accepted right after my interview too. I am most likely going to be accepting another offer I have at a school ranked in the top 10 for pharmacy. Looking at the class statistics for the Glendale campus, most people go into retail post graduation. If you want your best chance at getting a residency I would say a 4 year is better so you can get internships over the summer and do more to build up your resume. The way it was explained to me is more and more pharmacy schools have been opening up so there are tons more pharmacy graduates than there used to be, but the number of residency spots hasn't changed so it has become very competitive to get one. However from what I have been told if you just want a retail job and do well in school and make good connections where you go doesn't matter, so pick the school that is right for you. If you have your heart set on residency (like I do) I was told schools ranked in the top 20 will give you a better chance of getting one simply because they are well connected and people know you will be a quality applicant coming from there. From the research I've done it doesn't seem like Midwestern (Glendale) is super well connected. However they do have great NAPLEX passing scores so you will be getting a quality education and even though it will be difficult to get a job because the market is so saturated, if you work hard I think you can get a job anywhere you go.

That's just my own two cents based on research I have done and from speaking with other pharmacists. I hope it helped! Good luck with your decision. I'm going through the same thing now and I know it's a stressful choice. I'm sure where ever you go through you will make a great pharmacist! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was also accepted to this program the same interview date. I was also accepted to a couple 4 year programs as well and have been debating the 3 vs 4 year programs. I'll offer my opinion.

In my opinion, half of life is who you know, not what you know. In a 3 year program you have less time to develop interpersonal and interprofessional connections, in a 4 year program you obviously have more time to build these connections. It is possible to gain internships and extra experience while still attending a 3 year program, it just depends on how bad you want it. You can build up your resume in a number of different ways to help attain a residency position in 3 years if that's what you want.

Think about it, there are people in both 3 and 4 year programs who sit back, take classes and aren't proactively looking for ways to engage in the pharmacy field. There are also people who engage in extracurricular activities such as research, volunteering, academia and make and effort to build relationships within the field. The later group of people will be the ones who find jobs and residencies. I don't think it's that one school (3 or 4 year) is going to be the difference maker in your future. As with everything in life, you will get out what you put in.

I agree with the previous post. Do what feels right, for me Midwestern felt right.

I mean i know what you get what you put in. My only worry is, how the heck am i gonna get an internship when my schedule is full year a round in a 3 year program? Is it doable? And how many intership and research do you need to get into a residency? I have a choice to either go to chicago or glendale and my deposite for glendale is due in 6 days... I really cant make a decision. I liked both schools. I'm from california and i wanna one day go back and get a job in cali... I really dont know...

I wish I had the "right" answer!

Anything is doable. I obviously can't tell you if you can or can't get an internship or research position. I can tell you if you get involved in research it doesn't always require a ton of time. I've been involved in research that took maybe 5 hours a week for a semester long, I taught 3 hours a week and was president of our toxicology student organization all while going to school full time (MS) and working 20 hours a week. I was very busy but it was all doable. Those experiences were huge resume boosters for me.

The point is that you can always find things to separate yourself from the herd as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort. When it comes time to apply for residency positions, you may have made wonderful connections through rotations, faculty, advisors, community involvement etc. Your grades, LOR and extracurricular activities will obviously also allow you to separate yourself from the rest of the applicants.

I don't think you will ever get a definitive answer on which program is going to be better for you. I don't think you can choose a "wrong" school though as long as you try your hardest to get what you want.

I got accepted right after my interview too. I am most likely going to be accepting another offer I have at a school ranked in the top 10 for pharmacy. Looking at the class statistics for the Glendale campus, most people go into retail post graduation. If you want your best chance at getting a residency I would say a 4 year is better so you can get internships over the summer and do more to build up your resume. The way it was explained to me is more and more pharmacy schools have been opening up so there are tons more pharmacy graduates than there used to be, but the number of residency spots hasn't changed so it has become very competitive to get one. However from what I have been told if you just want a retail job and do well in school and make good connections where you go doesn't matter, so pick the school that is right for you. If you have your heart set on residency (like I do) I was told schools ranked in the top 20 will give you a better chance of getting one simply because they are well connected and people know you will be a quality applicant coming from there. From the research I've done it doesn't seem like Midwestern (Glendale) is super well connected. However they do have great NAPLEX passing scores so you will be getting a quality education and even though it will be difficult to get a job because the market is so saturated, if you work hard I think you can get a job anywhere you go.

That's just my own two cents based on research I have done and from speaking with other pharmacists. I hope it helped! Good luck with your decision. I'm going through the same thing now and I know it's a stressful choice. I'm sure where ever you go through you will make a great pharmacist! :)
I would have to disagree. I know plenty of Midwestern alumni who have gone through residencies. One is our own resident of PGY1 and will likely place to her PGY2. Despite their percentage, my own experiences are from serving on a RAC committee and seeing many qualified applicants from MWU as well as working with graduates who never pursued a residency yet excel in decentralized positions.
But I do agree that hard work does make a difference in your post-graduate endeavors, no matter who you know. :) I should add that I'm very familiar with residencies only within the Arizona area.

I would have to disagree. I know plenty of Midwestern alumni who have gone through residencies. One is our own resident of PGY1 and will likely place to her PGY2. Despite their percentage, my own experiences are from serving on a RAC committee and seeing many qualified applicants from MWU as well as working with graduates who never pursued a residency yet excel in decentralized positions.
But I do agree that hard work does make a difference in your post-graduate endeavors, no matter who you know. :) I should add that I'm very familiar with residencies only within the Arizona area.
just wondering hows residency market in AZ ?

just wondering hows residency market in AZ ?
That's my disclaimer... We have about 50 applicants, interview 15 for two spots unless we get approval for four. Might use scramble if that does get approval. But this is a fairly new program... That being said, we still have 6+ specialties and 2+ decentralized positions and there are many that have completed the MWU program. But this is only my experience as well as interviews from RAC so if you are residency bound, don't lose hope with MWU in the Phoenix region! :)

That's my disclaimer... We have about 50 applicants, interview 15 for two spots unless we get approval for four. Might use scramble if that does get approval. But this is a fairly new program... That being said, we still have 6+ specialties and 2+ decentralized positions and there are many that have completed the MWU program. But this is only my experience as well as interviews from RAC so if you are residency bound, don't lose hope with MWU in the Phoenix region! :)

Do you think your work would prefer people from U of A or any other well established state school over MWU??

Do you think your work would prefer people from U of A or any other well established state school over MWU??
I think it's not just about the school, it's about the student so in most cases schools hardly matter. You could have a low GPA, unimpressive LOR's, and nothing else to show other than your degree from a well established school but it ultimately comes down to your overall package, you know? The ranking is a little funky so it's also about the person ranking us higher as well. U of A residencies are the ultimate residency in my opinion as you could very well stay there to complete your PGY2. One of our PGy1 graduatess did match into her PGY2 there and absolutely loved it.

These info were really helpful

Would you please explain more about residencies in arizona and research in midwestern arizona? Thank you

Can anyone provide me link of thread for midwestern interview prep?

Hi, would you guys mind sharing tips and stats for me here? I'm applying this year so it would be really helpful to evaluate myself. Thanks guys!

Hi, would you guys mind sharing tips and stats for me here? I'm applying this year so it would be really helpful to evaluate myself. Thanks guys!
2.9 undergrad - BS Health and exercise science, concentration in sports medicine
3.0 Science
3.8 MS - Toxicology

Teaching experience - Pharmaceutical and Regulatory Toxicology, Toxicological Mechanisms as a GTA
Research experience - 1 yr
President of Toxicology Student Association

Tips: The interview is straightforward, do your research and do mock interviews. As long as you get an interview, you should be golden.

2.9 undergrad - BS Health and exercise science, concentration in sports medicine
3.0 Science
3.8 MS - Toxicology

Teaching experience - Pharmaceutical and Regulatory Toxicology, Toxicological Mechanisms as a GTA
Research experience - 1 yr
President of Toxicology Student Association

Tips: The interview is straightforward, do your research and do mock interviews. As long as you get an interview, you should be golden.
Thanks! I'm hoping that I will get in but not having a bachelor and leadership/research experience might be harder for me.

Does anyone know what books we need for p1 year

Thanks! I'm hoping that I will get in but not having a bachelor and leadership/research experience might be harder for me.
Who knows if it will be harder. If you have an interview just do your homework, know why you want to go there, know why you want to be in the profession etc. When are you applying? Or did you already?

Anyone hear back from February 5th interview date?
Or has anyone had movement on waitlist?

Who knows if it will be harder. If you have an interview just do your homework, know why you want to go there, know why you want to be in the profession etc. When are you applying? Or did you already?
I'm applying this summer but hopefully it won't be any harder.