Midwestern CPG, AZ c/o 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be having an interview on feb 28th. Is anyone else interviewing this late?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets to review the applicants?

Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets to review the applicants?

They should have told you during the interview but it seems like they actually meet up quite often. They have a really short turn around time. I got a call about my acceptance about 3 business days after my interview. My friend, on the other hand, got her call 3 HOURS after her interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
They should have told you during the interview but it seems like they actually meet up quite often. They have a really short turn around time. I got a call about my acceptance about 3 business days after my interview. My friend, on the other hand, got her call 3 HOURS after her interview.

Good to know! Thanks for the quick reply! :)

What hotel did everyone stay in for the interview? I will be flying in and I was hoping someone could give me some advice for shuttle services from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the university. What are the rates and times they operate?

What hotel did everyone stay in for the interview? I will be flying in and I was hoping someone could give me some advice for shuttle services from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the university. What are the rates and times they operate?

WHen I went there for my interview, I stayed at Homestead for 30 something and just rented a vechicle at the airport...You can use hotwire.com to get some deals...

For some reason, car rentals in AZ are super expensive compared to other cities I have been. The taxes can be nearly as much as the daily price! So, if cost is an issue, make sure you keep that in mind!

When are you flying in for your interview?

Renting a car at an airport is always going to be expensive. They hike up those prices like no other. They add an airport fee on top of the actual rental costs and they also add a fee if you are under 25.

If you really need to rent a car, I would suggest comparing car prices online first with different car rental companies and then reserving a car online. This will ensure that you get a car at the airport (they can run out sometimes) and also you can lock in a cheaper price (prices go up as you come closer to the date).

I got a car for 4 days in Denver for $86. The same class of car in Phoenix is going to cost $106 for 2 days. Go figure. :confused: (Both are airport pickups.)

Im interviewing in March 4 as well. I'm lucky to even get a rental car because I'm only 20 and my work has a deal with Avis. Three days is $173 though which is more than my flight:eek: I'm seriously considering driving now

For some reason, car rentals in AZ are super expensive compared to other cities I have been. The taxes can be nearly as much as the daily price! So, if cost is an issue, make sure you keep that in mind!

When are you flying in for your interview?

I will be flying in on Mar 6th because my interview is on the 7th. I did look at car rental prices online and they definitely were expensive and I will only be in AZ for 2 nights. I am thinking of finding a shuttle somewhere...hopefully I can book a hotel where shuttle service is available but I'm not sure yet... :confused:

I will be flying in on Mar 6th because my interview is on the 7th. I did look at car rental prices online and they definitely were expensive and I will only be in AZ for 2 nights. I am thinking of finding a shuttle somewhere...hopefully I can book a hotel where shuttle service is available but I'm not sure yet... :confused:

I'm sure there are free shuttle services to hotels but make sure the hotel can also provide a ride to the school too!! If the hotels do, make sure you tell them when you check in so they can make sure that there is a ride for you there and back.

Members don't see this ad :)
keep in mind that you can get a discount on rent-a-car with the corporate code that midwestern gives you in that sheet with hotel information/travel accommodations. this saved me a lot of money and was cheaper than taking cabs to/from the airport. a nice bonus is that you dont have to wait in line because you can use the coporate/business express line :) good luck guys

I stayed at La Qunita Inn (around $55) and rented a car for one day (around $45).

Even though it is located farther than other hotels/motels/inn closer to the school, I chose to stay at this place after reading the online reviews. The place has complementary free breakfast and free wi-fi I believe. It is conveniently located next to a 7-Eleven in case you have to grab water or snacks. The room was clean and quiet. The drive to Midwestern was only 15 minutes, so it's not too bad.

That said, I highly suggest either renting a car or staying at a hotel that offers shuttle service. Cab fees one way average around $25-30 from nearby hotels.

I will be submitting my deposit for Midwestern later today.

Good luck with the interview! :thumbup:

Do you know if the curriculum includes hours that will be applied to fulfill the requirements for a license in California? I heard that California has special criteria.

How is the interview set up? I hear that it's a group...is it a big group? And how do they ask questions (free for all so you can answer whenever, or discussion form, or each person in turn)? is there also a one-on-one interview? Also, is it an open or closed file interview?

Is there an essay, if so, how was it?

Are we graded on the whole interview process (from when we get there to when we leave) or are we only graded during the actual 30 min interview?

I'll be having an interview on feb 28th. Is anyone else interviewing this late?

I will be interviewing the same day. I will be wearing a black suit, gold tie. Also I am renting a car so if you need a ride to Midwestern let me know.

Do you know if the curriculum includes hours that will be applied to fulfill the requirements for a license in California? I heard that California has special criteria.

Nope. I remember asking one of the students this question. It's geared towards Arizona, not CA but I'm sure you can come back to California and get a license to practice in CA as long as you pass the state exam.

How is the interview set up? I hear that it's a group...is it a big group? And how do they ask questions (free for all so you can answer whenever, or discussion form, or each person in turn)? is there also a one-on-one interview? Also, is it an open or closed file interview?

Is there an essay, if so, how was it?

Are we graded on the whole interview process (from when we get there to when we leave) or are we only graded during the actual 30 min interview?

The group interview has 2-3 students. Depending on the interviewers, they let anyone answer first or the same person may keep answering first for all the questions. In my group, everyone took turns answering first so it would be more fair. There is no one-on-one interview from what I know of. The interview is semi-open file. They have access to some of the information in your file but not all (I forgot which ones).

There is no essay.

You are graded on the actual interview. You are actually free to leave after the interview if you choose but most opt to take the campus tour.

I am surprised by how fast the decision was made on my file. I interviewed Mar 7th and while I was there, they told us there were only 5 seats left for all of Mar 7th, 9th (i think), and 11th. I honestly didn't think they would make a decision til after the 11th but I logged on to my application portal yesterday and I was accepted! After they told us there were only 5 seats left, I thought there was no use trying...this might've even helped me during the interview because I wasn't that nervous. I have been accepted to a school closer to me so I will probably decline my acceptance here so that should help someone on the waitlist. They say they pull extensively from the waitlist so to all those who are waiting, hang in there! :) Also, thanks so much to all the people who helped answer my questions during the application process!

I am surprised by how fast the decision was made on my file. I interviewed Mar 7th and while I was there, they told us there were only 5 seats left for all of Mar 7th, 9th (i think), and 11th. I honestly didn't think they would make a decision til after the 11th but I logged on to my application portal yesterday and I was accepted! After they told us there were only 5 seats left, I thought there was no use trying...this might've even helped me during the interview because I wasn't that nervous. I have been accepted to a school closer to me so I will probably decline my acceptance here so that should help someone on the waitlist. They say they pull extensively from the waitlist so to all those who are waiting, hang in there! :) Also, thanks so much to all the people who helped answer my questions during the application process!

Yup! Midwestern has one of the fastest turn around times. Especially since they have the portal, it's very quick to check! Congrats to you and good luck with pharmacy school!

Yup! Midwestern has one of the fastest turn around times. Especially since they have the portal, it's very quick to check! Congrats to you and good luck with pharmacy school!

Hey thanks! Good luck with everything too! :)

I just checked the portal and apparently I am accepted also! Do they not send a formal acceptance letter or email? Seems kind of odd...

I just checked the portal and apparently I am accepted also! Do they not send a formal acceptance letter or email? Seems kind of odd...

Yes, you will receive a formal letter of acceptance via snail mail shortly after. However, everything else (deposit, on-campus housing, etc.) is done through the portal.

Does anyone remember how much u would get back if u decline after deposit was submitted?

Does anyone remember how much u would get back if u decline after deposit was submitted?

You get back 10%, so $100. :( I'm in the same boat. I got accepted to UW-Madison and I think I'm going there instead. Perhaps I should've held my place somewhere with a less costly deposit!

Hey I'm new to the forum, but this is the thread for me. I am applying for the 2012 start year for CPG Midwestern. Does anyone know the start date to submit the PharmCAS application. I read somewhere it was in June, but could not find the specific date?

Hey I'm new to the forum, but this is the thread for me. I am applying for the 2012 start year for CPG Midwestern. Does anyone know the start date to submit the PharmCAS application. I read somewhere it was in June, but could not find the specific date?

Check the PharmCAS website but it is usually the first week of June.

anyone starting a carpool from the east valley?? (gilbert/QC area)

Hey, I just wanted to let you guys know I am dropping my seat at MWU GC. Best of luck to all of you!

Also, this is not an April Fool's joke. Just saying...

Hey, I just wanted to let you guys know I am dropping my seat at MWU GC. Best of luck to all of you!

I want to go here so bad next year! Does anyone know if they tend to favor people with bachelors degrees and heavy course loads since they are a 3 year school?

If I get in next year, I will be starting after finishing about 100 units (120 is a bachelors at my school) and I really haven't had a very heavy course load. I've done about 12-13 units a semester (12 is full time, but you can go up to 18 without a deans note) with classes over summer. Would this school look at that negatively since it is a very intense/fast paced curriculum? I also haven't really worked that much during school, but have done some volunteering (including pharmacy) and extracurricular activities.

Last edited:
I want to go here so bad next year! Does anyone know if they tend to favor people with bachelors degrees and heavy course loads since they are a 3 year school?

If I get in next year, I will be starting after finishing about 100 units (120 is a bachelors at my school) and I really haven't had a very heavy course load. I've done about 12-13 units a semester (12 is full time, but you can go up to 18 without a deans note) with classes over summer. Would this school look at that negatively since it is a very intense/fast paced curriculum? I also haven't really worked that much during school, but have done some volunteering (including pharmacy) and extracurricular activities.

Having a bachelors degree makes you a competitive candidate although there are students who are admitted without a bachelors degree. I don't know how heavily they weigh the course load but if you have a competitive GPA, a strong PCAT score, good LORs, and pharmacy experience, then you should have a good chance at gaining acceptance. I believe the avg GPA of accepted students is ~3.2 (so you can see where you stand).

You get back 10%, so $100. :( I'm in the same boat. I got accepted to UW-Madison and I think I'm going there instead. Perhaps I should've held my place somewhere with a less costly deposit!

do we have to write a letter to let them know we are declining our spots? and to request for the $100 back or do we automatically get it back once we decline our spots on the website?

do we have to write a letter to let them know we are declining our spots? and to request for the $100 back or do we automatically get it back once we decline our spots on the website?

You decline your spot by signing into the portal where you signed up for the interview date. There should be a decline button somewhere.

They don't send the $100 automatically. You have to request it. Send them an email and they should take care of it.

Good luck to those of you on the waitlist! Letting you know that I gave up my spot. I really enjoyed my interview and the people I've met, I know you'll be in great company!

Got an offer of admission today...I declined it, so there is another spot open. Good luck to anyone still on the waitlist.

We're only asking for $600/month + Utilities. It's a 2 bedroom apartment right across the street from campus. My roomate and I will be gone for the summer June-August. Great temporary housing if you're trying to find a house, or if you want to live cheap without a contract (we're actually taking a loss to sublet our place). Contact me for more details!

I've just declined my acceptance to MWU-AZ. Although it's kinda late in the game, I hope this makes one of you on the waitlist very happy. I really loved my experience at Midwestern, it's just that I was accepted to my state school. (It was very difficult for me to click that "decline" button)
Best of luck!!

Congrats to all that are accepted! I am looking at applying next year. I am an older non-traditional student with lots of pharmacy experience that really wants to get into the pharmacist career field. Can I ask what your GPA stats were to those accepted? Thank you and congratulations again!

I've just declined my acceptance to MWU-AZ. Although it's kinda late in the game, I hope this makes one of you on the waitlist very happy. I really loved my experience at Midwestern, it's just that I was accepted to my state school. (It was very difficult for me to click that "decline" button)
Best of luck!!

I got an e-mail of acceptance last night. I wonder if it is your spot that I have just filled. I really wish that I had received a call instead of an e-mail. It seems so impersonal. I was accepted to USN back in November, and was planning on moving there. Now, I'm so confused. I have a couple of days to make a decision about where I'm going. I'm a planner, and this last minute stuff makes me crazy.

i am sort of late in the game for applying for on-campus housing and saw a note that housing for students starting summer '11 are no longer available.. :confused:

but on another note, did anyone receive on-campus housing assignments?

I got an e-mail of acceptance last night. I wonder if it is your spot that I have just filled. I really wish that I had received a call instead of an e-mail. It seems so impersonal. I was accepted to USN back in November, and was planning on moving there. Now, I'm so confused. I have a couple of days to make a decision about where I'm going. I'm a planner, and this last minute stuff makes me crazy.

Sorry I can't help you decide- I actually applied to USN too, but didn't go interview there because I was invited several weeks earlier to MWU and paid the deposit already when I heard back from USN. I'm all the way on the other side of the country so it would have been difficult (and expensive) to plan a second trip to Nevada/Utah for USN. So I was planning on attending MWU until I heard from my state school (which was a surprise).
Anyway, I dont know what you should do but don't be turned off by not getting a phone call (yet). Maybe for people on the wait list the phone call doesn't come right away - maybe they just want to send the email offer automatically asap. Because I actually thought they were very nice - I got one call to tell me I was accepted and then a second a couple days later from the Assistan Dean or Dean, and he left me a really nice message. (the school I'll be attending just sent me an email too so I know what you mean).
Anyway, I'm sure you'll make the right decision. I know this last minute type decision-making is so tough. Best of luck!

I was waitlisted for the school and received an email offering me a spot! Just to let the other hopefuls know that Ill be declining! So goodluck to you guys and gals!

Hi all,

I was just offered spot a Midwestern, just wondering if anyone knew what are safe areas to live near campus. I am reading apartment reviews and they are not great lol so I would be very grateful for any advice from local residents

I was waitlisted for the school and received an email offering me a spot! Just to let the other hopefuls know that Ill be declining! So goodluck to you guys and gals!
+1
Goodluck to everyone still waiting.

I've decided on attending MWU. I own a home here in the valley, so it makes things easier.

Hi all,

I was just offered spot a Midwestern, just wondering if anyone knew what are safe areas to live near campus. I am reading apartment reviews and they are not great lol so I would be very grateful for any advice from local residents

I'm from Queen Creek, which is about an hour and a half commute from the campus. I went looking for apartments/condos to rent/buy near MWU to have as a crash pad so that I don't have to drive so far. I didn't see anything really fantastic. By the way, my favorite way of checking out neighborhoods here in the valley is to google the address, look at the street view, and "walk" around. Just an idea.