Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone! I've been accepted for fall 12, does anyone know what they are doing for living next year?

im going to look into off campus housing

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone going for the feb 3rd interview?? What's the best way to prepare for it ...nervous :(

Just relax and be yourself. They only asked like 4 questions.. it was pretty easy.

I had my interview last Wednesday. Visiting this school definitely made me excited to go to pharmacy school. It is SO nice and the visit was great. The interview was not bad at all. I was nervous because I wasn't sure how to approach a group interview but once you realize that everyone is in the same boat it gets really chill. The writing question was easy I highly recommend this school. Not sure if I will be attending if accepted due to location but we will see!

Wish us first years got to be there for you guys... but we're off on our community pharmacy rotations :( The 2nd and 3rd years better be nice and helpful! I remember my tour guide wasn't all that helpful... couldn't give me the nitty gritty info.

No matter where you go... just remember professional school is hard. It might be easy at first, but it's very detail oriented and remember it's not about cramming, it's about how well you understand what you're learning!

** It's for your future patients ** :thumbup:

Goodluck all! If you're on the waitlist, don't despair! At this time, I haven't even received my interview from MWU yet! YOU WILL GET WHERE YOU WANT TO BE IN LIFE.

Hello all. I interviewed at MWU on 2/2/12 and I logged in today and found an accepted student checklist. They are asking for the 1000$ for matriculation and theres a due date. I have not been formally accepted via email or call yet.

I cant remember if these options were available before my interview and im going out of my mind wondering if this means I am accepted. What does this mean?

Hello all. I interviewed at MWU on 2/2/12 and I logged in today and found an accepted student checklist. They are asking for the 1000$ for matriculation and theres a due date. I have not been formally accepted via email or call yet.

I cant remember if these options were available before my interview and im going out of my mind wondering if this means I am accepted. What does this mean?

Same thing mine did, your in, congrats!!!

I was there yesterday too! I loved the overall feel there. I was surprised they only asked a few questions (I think 4?), but I know I blushed on one question because I wasn't really prepared and I also went last. Crossing my fingers!

Does anyone know what the chances are of someone being pulled from the waitlist?

Hey I went to the interview few weeks ago, and Im just wondering.. Those who went to the interview, how long did you guys write for essay? I only wrote 2/3page and I felt like I wrote it too short...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think mine was about the same length. Maybe 3/4 of the page, but I tend to skimp on the intro and conclusion parts of anything I write. Just speculating, but I think as long as you don't make major grammatical or spelling errors, and answer the question with a logical response, you should be fine. That's the way it seems to be with many other schools.

When filling out the housing part, do we pick a 9 month or 12 month lease?

Wish us first years got to be there for you guys... but we're off on our community pharmacy rotations :( The 2nd and 3rd years better be nice and helpful! I remember my tour guide wasn't all that helpful... couldn't give me the nitty gritty info.

No matter where you go... just remember professional school is hard. It might be easy at first, but it's very detail oriented and remember it's not about cramming, it's about how well you understand what you're learning!

** It's for your future patients ** :thumbup:

Goodluck all! If you're on the waitlist, don't despair! At this time, I haven't even received my interview from MWU yet! YOU WILL GET WHERE YOU WANT TO BE IN LIFE.

Hey jkong, im starting to fill out the housing applications, where we have to rank the arrangements and since i wasnt able to look at them during the tour, I was wondering if you could help me. I put Redwood Hall 2 - First Floor Large Single w/Shared Bath as my number 1 choice, is that a good one?

Does anyone know when can we hear about the interview result? I know they said it will be like 3~5 weeks, but it seems like most other schools give out the result pretty fast.. Did anyone who interviewed on 1/25 receive any news from midwestern?

Hey jkong, im starting to fill out the housing applications, where we have to rank the arrangements and since i wasnt able to look at them during the tour, I was wondering if you could help me. I put Redwood Hall 2 - First Floor Large Single w/Shared Bath as my number 1 choice, is that a good one?

Hi!

9 mo. lease vs. 12 mo. lease
That depends on how long you want to live here. You can live here just for the school year (9 mo) or including the summer (12 mo)

For housing, you will be ranking ALL those choices. Since I was wait-listed and was accepted later, I got my 6th choice, which isn't bad at all. In my opinion, I would rank...

1. Redwood 2 > Redwood 1 > Pines Apartments > Traditional Halls

Redwood 2 is newer than Redwood 1. Dry wall vs. concrete block walls.
Pines Apartments: I would have to provide my own furniture.
Traditional Halls has ... grungy bathrooms and poor climate control.

2. Single Bedroom > Shared Bedroom

That's just me because I prefer to have my own space.

3.Own Bathroom > Shared Bathroom

But shared bathrooms aren't too bad either. Just gotta coordinate when you're going to the bathroom.

TIP!: If your name could be misconstrued as male/female... it wouldn't hurt to email housing asking about your shared bathroom roommate and do a quick Facebook check. My original bathroom-mate ended up being a guy and the night before Orientation, I had to move to a new floor/new room. :laugh:

But to answer your question!! (sorry I realized I didn't even answer it)
Redwood 2 - Single with Shared bathroom (ANY FLOOR) is great!
I currently live in Redwood 2 - single with shared bathroom on the 5th floor. Yea, I get my exercise in by taking the stairs ;)

Hi!

That depends on how long you want to live here. You can live here just for the school year (9 mo) or including the summer (12 mo)

For housing, you will be ranking ALL those choices. Since I was wait-listed and was accepted later, I got my 6th choice, which isn't bad at all. In my opinion, I would rank...

But shared bathrooms aren't too bad either. Just gotta coordinate when you're going to the bathroom.

TIP!: If your name could be misconstrued as male/female... it wouldn't hurt to email housing asking about your shared bathroom roommate and do a quick Facebook check. My original bathroom-mate ended up being a guy and the night before Orientation, I had to move to a new floor/new room. :laugh:

I currently live in Redwood 2 - single with shared bathroom on the 5th floor. Yea, I get my exercise in by taking the stairs ;)

Thank you for all this info, it is REALLY helpful.

So for the 2 Bedroom Suite w/ Shared Bath & Living Area, would that be a total of 4 ppl (2ppl per room).

My main goal is to get the first or lower level single shared/private bathroom, but just in case, just want to look at other options.

Also, if i was to pick the 9month lease, how days is there between moving in and orientation, because since im coming from california, I want to make sure that i have time to settle down and stuff.

They started pulling off of the alternate list...I just got accepted!!

Does anyone know what the chances are of someone being pulled from the waitlist?

I interviewed back in October and was put on alternate list!! They called me this morning to tell me that I have been accepted!!

Does anyone know when can we hear about the interview result? I know they said it will be like 3~5 weeks, but it seems like most other schools give out the result pretty fast.. Did anyone who interviewed on 1/25 receive any news from midwestern?

I just got accepted from the 1/25 interview!!! This was my first choice school so I'm super excited, can't wait to meet you all in the fall!! :)

Just turned down my acceptance today cuz i'm going to UIC so hopefully that gives someone waitlisted an opportunity. If you haven't heard yet from the waitlist there is still alot of time and dont worry, I interviewed 11/16 and finally got pulled off 1/17. Best of luck to everyone

Hi!

Hey jkong...i have a question about housing...im still trying to decide if i am goin to live on campus or commute (i live about 45min away..close enough to commute but far enough to be annoying)...should i still apply for housing if I am unsure what I am going to do still? And how likely is it that you get the housing that you want (1st choice)?

I interviewed Feb 3, and found out this morning that I was accepted! I haven't received any email or call yet, but there is a due date for the deposit on my checklist. Sounds like this is normal, and I should be expecting an official letter very soon!

Jkong: Thanks for the housing info! That is great information to know, coming from Seattle, most of my research has to be done online! You've broken it all down quite nicely!

I also have a question about the housing... I entered my housing priorities around January, and submitted the info. I then got an email saying that Midwestern takes housing apps after March 1st, so I should resubmit it then. Is this true, and if it is, has the system ever crashed because of everyone submitting apps on midnight?

Hey all,

Congrats to being pulled off the wait-list! Don't dispair for those that haven't even gotten an interview yet, this time last year, I still didn't get an interiew from MWU :)

Great questions everyone, keep em coming if you got em

Hey jkong...i have a question about housing...im still trying to decide if i am goin to live on campus or commute (i live about 45min away..close enough to commute but far enough to be annoying)...should i still apply for housing if I am unsure what I am going to do still? And how likely is it that you get the housing that you want (1st choice)?

It wouldn't hurt to put in an application, I guess it depends if you can afford it cuz living on-campus is about 2k+ per quarter (so 6k to 7k for the year). Don't forget to consider gas commuting, car maintenance, etc. You do get free parking on-campus...We do have Chicago-natives living on-campus. As for your first-choice, it depends on what it is. In terms of popularity I'd say... Pines, Redwood and then Traditionals. Like I said before, I got accepted late and I got into Redwood II.

Unofficial...
If you get a room in the traditionals, you technically have two rooms to yourself. Maybe you can find a friend and take the spare room. Student Services gives the student whose name is with the school 2 keys...

Thank you for all this info, it is REALLY helpful.

So for the 2 Bedroom Suite w/ Shared Bath & Living Area, would that be a total of 4 ppl (2ppl per room).

My main goal is to get the first or lower level single shared/private bathroom, but just in case, just want to look at other options.

Also, if i was to pick the 9month lease, how days is there between moving in and orientation, because since im coming from california, I want to make sure that i have time to settle down and stuff.

2 bedroom suite I think is just two people and you get singles. I think those rooms are in core middle of redwood II and they're just kinda far from the elevators and trash chute that's in Redwood I side. There's stairwells on the extreme ends of Redwood building and 1 stairwell in the middle dividing Redwood I and Redwood II.

9 mo lease = Sunday before Orientation til Friday of Spring Quarter Finals.
Once it gets closer, email Ms. Rent if you can move in Saturday because you're out-of-state. She will say its ok but no earlier than that.

I also have a question about the housing... I entered my housing priorities around January, and submitted the info. I then got an email saying that Midwestern takes housing apps after March 1st, so I should resubmit it then. Is this true, and if it is, has the system ever crashed because of everyone submitting apps on midnight?

I would think it's true and no, the online.midwestern.edu has never crashed, as far as I know. I think this is because current students get priority on housing so they might be trying to gear up the housing applications for us.

We're doing RA interviews right now... wish me luck! ;) Only 5 positions available because current RA's are probably staying.

hey jkong...i have question about the electives...do you know if there are problems being able to take the electives you want...are there scheduling issues? are on a they a first come first serve basis? are there only so many spots for each elective?

My friends and I interviewed on 02/01 and they both got accepted on 02/10 and I checked my portal and havn't received anything. If I get waitlisted how will I know? Does it say on the portal or do they just email me?

hey jkong...i have question about the electives...do you know if there are problems being able to take the electives you want...are there scheduling issues? are on a they a first come first serve basis? are there only so many spots for each elective?

Funny you asked, next quarter will be our first quarter with electives and I unfortunately will not be having an elective. I am waitlisted for a class and didn't make it for the other classes I ranked. How it works is you get a list of electives and you rank them. I guess this year, they did a lottery-style of enrolling students into the electives and created a short waitlist if the electives get full. It should not be too hard to fit electives into your second and third year.

So... yes there are scheduling issues, no its not first come first serve and supposedly there are only so many spots for each elective.

However I wouldn't worry too much about electives, you'll eventually get them done and the school will help you in whatever they can to get you through.

My friends and I interviewed on 02/01 and they both got accepted on 02/10 and I checked my portal and havn't received anything. If I get waitlisted how will I know? Does it say on the portal or do they just email me?

They'll send you a letter notifying you you're on the waitlist. When you're pulled off, they'll either email you or call you. I got called and was pulled off the waitlist.

How are people already hearing back??

I interviewed 2/1 and they had said that the admissions committee only meets once a month and that they had just recently met so it would be a while.

I interviewed last week also and didn't get a reply yet :oops: I hope they're still making decisions before throwing us on a waitlist :scared:

hey jkong...from other posts having a car is highly recommended...i was wondering if this is just for the IPPE's and from looking at course schedule outline we got at the interview that IPPE's are only during the winters on Weds...so is that basically all you need a car for?

I am giving up my spot as I have decided to go elsewhere, hopefully that will open up one of the seats for you guys. GL!

hey jkong...from other posts having a car is highly recommended...i was wondering if this is just for the IPPE's and from looking at course schedule outline we got at the interview that IPPE's are only during the winters on Weds...so is that basically all you need a car for?

Fall Quarter first year, you're not required to have a mode of transportation. Although helpful so you don't starve because I'm sure you'll be sick of Common's food after a week. Plus Commons is open only at specific times. 3pm after class and you're hungry? 7pm and you're hungry? Out of luck :( Dinner is served 5:00pm - 6:30pm.

Winter Quarter first year, yes you are required to have some mode of transportation (unless you want to carpool with someone to drop you off or taxi once a week). Depending on your rotation site... it can be quite a drive. There isn't many options of public transportations around Downers Grove. My community rotation site was 45 min away. One of my friend's had a site that was 1 hour away from campus. Some of my friends had sites 10 minutes down the street.

Basically, a car is a must if you're going to go here. You'll want to have a car here to go grocery shopping, getting food off campus, etc. I've noticed there aren't any sidewalks out on the streets or pedestrian crossings at the intersections. I also noticed there are no bike lanes if you're a cyclist.

Many of my CA friends shipped their cars here. I actually drove from Los Angeles, CA to here. I rested in Colorado and Nebraska. The trip took me 4 days because my boyfriend and I spent an extra day hanging out in Colorado, but you can make the trip in 2 nights/3 days.

Car tips for the winter...
- Antifreeze windshield wipers fluid
- Do not use your wipers without checking there is no ice. The wipers will bend and scratch your windshield.
- Buy an ice scraper with brush for no more than $10
- If you can't see the pavement, drive slow (not 15 mph CA-speed slow... like less than 5 mph crawling slow). The snow will pack in between your tire treads and you can fishtail, skid, 360 spins....
- Tap your brakes to stop and brake WAYY ahead of time.
- If you have front wheel drive, park your car rear into the spot.
- If you know ahead of time, park in the parking garage!
- After it's stopped snowing, go get a car wash to wash the road salt away. (Delta Sonic here gives unlimited car washes for a monthly rate of $12 that includes an undercarriage rust resistant wash)

My driving background: I use to have a Class B commercial driver's license for 4 years because I was a UCSD shuttle driver (I use to drive a bus).

More questions? Please ask!! :D

I just got a letter that says i'm on the alternate list.
Definitely upsetting because I had thought that my interview had gone really well.

jkong, you had mentioned that you were pulled off of the alternate list. It says that it's not ranked so do you understand how the process works? when is the latest that i will find out? How do they determine who they want off of the alternate list?

This is just frustrating because it means even more waiting.

Definitely upsetting because I had thought that my interview had gone really well.

jkong, you had mentioned that you were pulled off of the alternate list. It says that it's not ranked so do you understand how the process works? when is the latest that i will find out? How do they determine who they want off of the alternate list?

I've been on the waitlist since Nov. Also i have heard about a few people getting taken off the waitlist already. And they continue taking people off up until the start of school i believe.

Hey Yazdi,

Sorry to hear how upset you are. From what they told me last year, it was a lottery process. Also, they continue pulling people off the waitlist until even the night before orientation.

Good new is that a majority of people do get pulled off the wait-list because the ones accepted got into their top choice schools, etc. It sucks but it's a time game. You get in first, reserve a spot until a better opportunity comes around. It sucks to wait more but hey, they did not straight out reject you!

I was pulled off the wait-list in July 8, 2011. I was interviewed on May 11, 2011.

It is indeed a lottery process for the wait list, thats what we were told during our interview as well.

Yup I received a letter today too. Got put on the alternate list as well but keeping my fingers crossed :xf: only time will tell :shrug:

Hello all I have a few questions that anyone can feel free to answer.
1. Are lectures available online like at some universities?
2. Do students purchase textbooks or just utilize the professors lecture notes?
3. Are any of the books on the preprogrammed laptop that must be purchased? Also which laptop is better to go with the Apple or Dell, since the Dell has a longer warranty?
4. When the time does come for rotations is there a pre approved list that students may go off of or must they create all sites?
5. Do you feel or notice that the increase price in tuition is reflected in your education.
6. Is the education at Midwestern geared toward one area more than another? Say hospital vs. Community or Retail.

Thanks for your time and thoughts. :)

Also which laptop is better to go with the Apple or Dell, since the Dell has a longer warranty?

Actually the warranty is identical (both include 4 years), if anything the Apple warranty is better since you get 4 years of AppleCare which means you can go into a store and have them troubleshoot your issue in person, whereas Dell reps would be assisting you over the phone. The difference is in the accidental damage protection, Dell has that included for 4 years but the MacBook has none as they are too expensive to replace. It goes down to whatever you're more comfortable with. It was a no brainer for me, Apple all the way.

Hello all I have a few questions that anyone can feel free to answer.
1. Are lectures available online like at some universities?
Lectures notes are available as 3-hole punched packets from the bookstore. They are MWU customized and contain the notes for the entire quarter. Lecture powerpoint slides are available online via MWU's Blackboard

2. Do students purchase textbooks or just utilize the professors lecture notes?
We just utilize the professors lecture notes. Exam material is strictly from the lecture notes. Books are optional and available for you to buy, of course and they are also available at the library.

3. Are any of the books on the preprogrammed laptop that must be purchased? Also which laptop is better to go with the Apple or Dell, since the Dell has a longer warranty?
No books are available on the pre-programmed laptop that must be purchased. Honestly I haven't seen anything special about the pre-programmed laptops. They come with Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac, iWork '08, EndNote Web (??), and iLife. The majority of my classmates selected the Apple Macbooks. They proved to be more portable than the Dell selection.

4. When the time does come for rotations is there a pre approved list that students may go off of or must they create all sites?
The Office of Experiential Experience assigns us our rotation sites. However for APPE your 4th year, you do have the option to search and select your own rotation sites. That means, if you are from out-of-state and want to try to be home for your 4th year, it is possible. BUT you have to do the research yourself.

5. Do you feel or notice that the increase price in tuition is reflected in your education.
It's my first year so I don't notice the increase price in tuition. Price value I believe varies between people. I may feel like the price I pay in loans is worth the education, while others do not. I personally feel that my tuition is sometimes used for the right reasons, while sometimes I feel it was a complete waste. Yes security is a little excessive, but then again I feel so much safer because of the extra measures. Yes technology is unsatisfactory sometimes but it's alright for the most part. Sorry it's not a great answer, but I feel like finances differ from family to family. Some people can afford extras more than others. Sad face for me... :(

6. Is the education at Midwestern geared toward one area more than another? Say hospital vs. Community or Retail.
From what I've seen, MWU is very retail and residency focused. I have heard that if you are interested in research, perhaps UIC is a better choice? I'm from CA so I don't know the comparisons between MWU and UIC. This is what I've heard.

1st year IPPE: community/retail
2nd year IPPE: hospital
3rd year IPPE: clinical

GREAT questions! :D :thumbup:

Do MWU let you change to a different computer if you change your mind before school start?

I have a question about insurance at MWU.. I saw the website has reduced rates at the wellness center, is health insurance required while you're a student? Does the school offer insurance plans?

Also, I am mainly waiting to put my deposit down because of the laptops...it sounds like most students chose the mac? Any reason for that? I've always been a PC user and am hesitant to change over, but would like more info about the computers first. I realize they probably change every year but I really want to make sure that I make the best choice since I'll live with it for 4 years.

I applied late and received an interview invitation for march 7th.

I have a question about insurance at MWU.. I saw the website has reduced rates at the wellness center, is health insurance required while you're a student? Does the school offer insurance plans?

Also, I am mainly waiting to put my deposit down because of the laptops...it sounds like most students chose the mac? Any reason for that? I've always been a PC user and am hesitant to change over, but would like more info about the computers first. I realize they probably change every year but I really want to make sure that I make the best choice since I'll live with it for 4 years.

You have 2 health insurance options...
a. Get the school's health insurance
b. Get your own and opt out of the school's health insurance

Proof of health insurance is required at all schools I believe. I was required to have health insurance for my undergrad university.

If you're a hardcore PC user and don't think you can adjust easily, then stick with PC. It's not like PC is a "bad" option even if other people make it sound like it. Everyone's different and have different preferences. I adjusted well when I transitioned. I hated Windows 7 and whatever was after Windows XP because they were dramatic changes that weren't consistant in design and functionality in my opinion.

Apple is much more user-friendly in that the functions are designed to fit everyone, regardless of technology knowledge/experience. Yea I do miss PC sometimes because I do love to tinker with technology, but at the same time... why am I worrying about fixing my computer when it should just work? Why download all kind of drivers when I could just plug it in and it just works?

I found apple computers are more durable, yet maintaining light portability especially with the unibody design they have now (your computer is essentially in one metal case, not in parts).

I did my research before the big jump. Maybe these will help you in yours :)
Why a Mac? http://www.apple.com/why-mac/
FAQ about the jump http://www.apple.com/why-mac/faq/

DEFINITELY, go to an apple store and just PLAY with the computers. Get a feel for yourself