Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question about experience/internships and such...

Since Midwestern starts us on the retail rotations in the winter of our first year, is it necessary/recommended to try and get an additional (independent from MWU) position in a retail pharmacy? I ask this because I'm currently working at a Target (non-pharmacy position, but occasionally worked in the pharmacy, since I'm a certified tech), and I want to know if its feasible to try transfer into any kind of pharmacy position (tech, assistant, intern, etc) at a different Target.

I know quite a few people that transferred from their original store. I think it is important to have experience at a pharmacy before coming to school. A lot of students landed jobs during their first year community rotations. If you are interested in community pharmacy and working for a retail store, having a a job or experience is imperative. A term you will hear a lot throughout pharmacy school is "networking."

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone heard back from the 4/6 interview day??:confused:

interviewed April 4th. I just got a letter today in the mail that I was put on the alternate list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard back from the 4/6 interview day??:confused:
I interviewed on April 6th! I probably saw you there! I checked the MWU portal five times a day to see if anything had changed. On April 12th, I received an email confirming that I was accepted, and verified with the portal that I wasn't dreaming. I didn't receive a letter in the mail until yesterday. So if you haven't checked your portal or personal email you gave them, I'd check there first. Good luck!

Is there a group activity associated with the interview or is just an essay question and the interview itself?

Is there a group activity associated with the interview or is just an essay question and the interview itself?

Well, the interview itself is a group interview. You are split into 6 groups early on, but thats just to determine which 3 groups are initially interviewed while the remaining 3 groups work on the writing sample, then you switch off.

I was also accepted from the 4/4 interview day. I'm looking for housing, roommates, etc
I was accepted and am looking for roommates too! (I'm a 23 year old female with no pets...) Let me know if you'd want to room together :)

Hey guys,

I am looking for another first year female pharm student to room with in Downers Grove, Westmont, Lombard, or any other of the surrounding cities. Let me know if you're interested and we can chat :)

Hmm...I have only good experiences so far, so unfortunately I would say nothing. I wouldn't want to change any of my decisions I've made since arriving here.

- Pledge a fraternity
- Bring layers and warm clothes
- Get involved with other organizations
- Talk to your professors
- Get an I-Pass
- LEARN the material, don't memorize!
- Have a positive attitude about school.

I really mean the last two points.

Learn the material because it's all about your patients now. It's NOT about the grade. Be a good, reliable, trustworthy pharmacist, not a half-assed one. Come to class with a positive attitude. If you come to class hating school and all that then you'll have a negative experience because you're consciously setting yourself up for it. Don't let other people get you down, you're not them, they are not you. Get yourself together and excel.
Thank you so much! Your advice is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for taking time to answer all of our questions :)

of course! :)

Now that a majority of you have gone through the interviews, I'll let you guys answer each other's questions. But if there's anything you have questions with, I'm always periodically checking when I remember.

Congrats to those accepted and keep holding on to those that are waitlisted!
Hopefully I'll meet you in the fall :D

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as meal plans go, what would be the average choice for money per quarter? Is there much of a variety in the cafeteria? I didn't get a chance to check it out after my interview so I am hesitant. Thanks!

I would recommend purchasing the lowest amount, which is $100 (+$10 bonus so you pay $100 but get $110) and if you run out you can add $20 at a time on your card.

The $110 can only be used at Commons and Commons Underground (a "cafe" downstairs that has limited hours).

The $20 can be used to print, copy, Commons, and Commons Underground.

-----

Cafeteria... its ok. Sometimes it's hit or miss, but the food variety is decent. They have a salad bar, desserts, a stir fry area? (menu specials of the day like saute veggies and pasta), a entree area, and a hamburger/fries/basics area.

They have strict hours for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and they are not open in the hours in between (which I think sucks)

Breakfast 7:00 - 10:00am
Lunch 11:00 - 1:30pm
Dinner 5:00 - 6:30pm

Sample Menu they send out weekly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/baera1d3kmhdudb/Customer Menu - Op#13057 4-23.xls

Hey, so i just got my rooming assignments, which is

"Redwood Hall 2 - Lower Level Large Single w/Shared Bath"

so for you P1's right now, is this a good choice, or should i pick another one. Also what are the advantages/disadvantages of this one, thanks.

Hey, so i just got my rooming assignments, which is

"Redwood Hall 2 - Lower Level Large Single w/Shared Bath"

so for you P1's right now, is this a good choice, or should i pick another one. Also what are the advantages/disadvantages of this one, thanks.

was this your first choice?

Which laptop should I choose - Dell Latitude E6420 or Apple MacBook Pro?

Which laptop should I choose - Dell Latitude E6420 or Apple MacBook Pro?

A previous post from Jkong:

If you're a hardcore PC user and don't think you can adjust easily, then stick with PC. It's not like PC is a "bad" option even if other people make it sound like it. Everyone's different and have different preferences. I adjusted well when I transitioned. I hated Windows 7 and whatever was after Windows XP because they were dramatic changes that weren't consistant in design and functionality in my opinion.

Apple is much more user-friendly in that the functions are designed to fit everyone, regardless of technology knowledge/experience. Yea I do miss PC sometimes because I do love to tinker with technology, but at the same time... why am I worrying about fixing my computer when it should just work? Why download all kind of drivers when I could just plug it in and it just works?

I found apple computers are more durable, yet maintaining light portability especially with the unibody design they have now (your computer is essentially in one metal case, not in parts).

I did my research before the big jump. Maybe these will help you in yours
Why a Mac? http://www.apple.com/why-mac/
FAQ about the jump http://www.apple.com/why-mac/faq/

DEFINITELY, go to an apple store and just PLAY with the computers. Get a feel for yourself

and you cant change as far as i know of after you've made your choice....so choose wisely (mac)!!!

Hey guys I have a couple of questions, when is the last day to submit a dorm form ( housing form)?
My other questions is does MWU have a white coat ceremony for pharmacy students?
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys I have a couple of questions, when is the last day to submit a dorm form ( housing form)?
My other questions is does MWU have a white coat ceremony for pharmacy students?
Thanks in advance.

You can submit the form whenever, but I don't know what/if anything is still available. I know there are a lot of people still waiting to hear about their housing assigment. Just fill it out now and they will let you know if they can or can't accommodate you.

There is a white coat ceremony for pharmacists. Last year's was near the end of September.

Current students: How are the research opportunities at Midwestern? I'm interested in doing research but I've heard opportunities are limited or non existent.

So, is anyone else still waiting for their housing assignments? I'm getting a bit worried :scared:

Current students: How are the research opportunities at Midwestern? I'm interested in doing research but I've heard opportunities are limited or non existent.

I think there are a lot of research opportunities but not widely advertised to the students. A good number of my PS-1 classmates were able to get into research and even get elective credit out of it.

So, is anyone else still waiting for their housing assignments? I'm getting a bit worried :scared:
I wouldn't worry about housing assignments right now. The school is undergoing finals this week so housing might be very busy getting ready for the current students to be checked out when we move out and making sure returning students are turning in their housing contracts.

I was admitted very late in the summer and still was able to get my top housing choices. No worries, if you turned in your app, you should be good.

Hey guys I applied for financial aid but ingot an email telling me to complete the entrance interview requirement, what is that?
Another question, for the immunization do u have to take the immunization shots even tho you are immune to the disease ?

and you cant change as far as i know of after you've made your choice....so choose wisely (mac)!!!

Actually you are able to, although it's not clear how. I e-mailed the IT guys and they gave me a link which allowed me to switch my option.

I initially choose the Dell but switched to the Mac. Even though I'm a lifetime PC user, figured I'd get the nicer machine of the two.

Hey guys I applied for financial aid but ingot an email telling me to complete the entrance interview requirement, what is that?
Another question, for the immunization do u have to take the immunization shots even tho you are immune to the disease ?

The intrance interview is done online where you read and answer a bunch of questions about financial aid. If you click on the link from the portal it will take you directly there. And I think we have to have titers drawn regardless, im not sure.

Hi all! I'm new to SDN. I will be taking my PCAT in July and I plan on submitting my apps in August or September. Midwestern CCP is one of my top choices at the moment. To all those who got accepted, would you mind telling me your stats (GPA, pact, experience, etc)? Also, when did you send in your PharmCas app and how long it took before being invited for an interview? Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and congrats to all who were accepted.

for current students...when did u find out about financial aid?

^^^ Some of us have already received the award letter but you can get it as late as July.

really?...damn...i sent mine in early too...i was hoping to hear before july...i wish there was more communication with wat was all happening.

:confused:Hey guys, I've got a quick question. Might be a little off topic. When you apply to Midwestern, you can only choose to apply to 1 of the 2 campuses right? Gelndale or Downer's Grove

Hey guys! so I'm still trying to decide between pharm schools but was wondering about Midwestern's Dress Code. Do we always have to be in business casual like some schools? If not, How many days a week do we have to dress up? Are you supposed to be dressed up for student orientation? I know these are silly questions but I was just curious:)

Hey guys! so I'm still trying to decide between pharm schools but was wondering about Midwestern's Dress Code. Do we always have to be in business casual like some schools? If not, How many days a week do we have to dress up? Are you supposed to be dressed up for student orientation? I know these are silly questions but I was just curious:)

From what I remember, you do have to dress up for orientation. For the most part, there is no dress code for class. Only certain classes like dosage form lab, but that's only once a week for one quarter.

Well, this is an interesting turn of events, but I found out last week that I was pulled off the waitlist at Creighton University, so I will be giving up my spot and going there instead. Hope someone on the waitlist here finds it, good luck everyone!

Does everyone get work study? What's the best/worst places to work on campus?

I'm pretty sure everyone gets it if they selected the work study option on thir fafsa. The best place to work is the gym, but good luck getting that job. The worst is probably doing research.

Do we wait until we get to campus to find work study, or was I supposed to start my search like yesterday? Also, classes Monday-Friday? Monday-Thursday?

Last edited:
current students- is the gym open during the breaks? if yes, are there special hours?

Do we wait until we get to campus to find work study, or was I supposed to start my search like yesterday? Also, classes Monday-Friday? Monday-Thursday?

On portal there is an option for available work study. Most departments looking for work study students don't post their need. The best thing to do is call around and ask or find out by word of mouth.

current students- is the gym open during the breaks? if yes, are there special hours?

The gym is open during most breaks. The coordinator generally sends out a holiday schedule prior to each holiday.

Hi,

I have a friend who's been accepted to Midwestern and another school. He's currently favoring Midwestern but is thrown off by the school's quarter system (especially since the Winter Quarter starts some time in November?). For those who are currently students at Midwestern, how do you like the system? Is there enough time to learn & digest the material? What about tests (do you think they are too many of them too soon?)

Thank you so much!

Hi,

I have a friend who's been accepted to Midwestern and another school. He's currently favoring Midwestern but is thrown off by the school's quarter system (especially since the Winter Quarter starts some time in November?). For those who are currently students at Midwestern, how do you like the system? Is there enough time to learn & digest the material? What about tests (do you think they are too many of them too soon?)

Thank you so much!

I came from a semester system and I have to admit, the quarter system is quite different. It's a lot of information in a short amount of time. It is absolutely manageable, however. There will be some quarters with a couple of exams a week, but nothing too bad.

Am I supposed to apply for the pharmacy tech license before school starts?