Michener institute to podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmarina

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently finishing my Chiropody diploma at Michener Institute in Toronto and I was wondering what would I need to do to practice chiropody/podiatry in the states?

I know in the US podiatry programs are fuor years + residency but once I finish my chiropody program here , is it possible I get an advanced standing at a podiatry school in the states?

Basically, I want to practice chiropody/podiatry in the states but I am already enrolled in a chiropody program here. I don't mind further schooling as long as I get to practice in the states.

Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can transfer over. You also can't get into residency from outside of the 9 state schools. If you want to restart in the states you'd have to go to U.S podiatry school. You'd def get into a pod school, but you'll have to take the MCAT and have completed pre-reqs. Your credits will not transfer.

If your goal is to practice in the state and canada the dpm is the only degree that will allow this as dpms can practice in both countries but the diploma from Canada has little value here. Good luck.

I dont think that Canadian Chiropodists can transfer over without having to get the DPM degree. In the USA, Podiatrists are doctors and in many states physicians, vs in many other countries, the podiatry degree is more like a 2 year associates.