Mercer University's Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I actually really dislikeMiami (I'm from down here in south Florida) so I guess I'm not a reliable source because I will say that pine trees are better than palm trees. LOL

I thought the campus was beautiful, but then again it is different than what I am used to (I went to UM with lots of flat grass, palm trees, flat land, NO brick buildings), so I like how Mercer looks more like a college to me. I also like the big trees, etc.

I love Atlanta too and I like the fact that Mercer is a little outside of the city, so you can relax at home and study peacefully, but then you can go to the city on the weekend and there is a lot of culture and stuff that you wouldn't find in a traditional small "college" town.

If you are from someplace else, you might not feel excited about the scenery, but it's so different for me that I like it.

Not to mention the fact that EVERYONE is WAY nicer than they are here in south Florida. People here are infamous for being unfriendly. lol

Glad you liked it! :) I wish the campus was in downtown Atlanta, I'm more looking for an urban feel because of the atmosphere and the fact it's much more convenient to get around with public transportation.

Members don't see this ad.

Glad you liked it! :) I wish the campus was in downtown Atlanta, I'm more looking for an urban feel because of the atmosphere and the fact it's much more convenient to get around with public transportation.

You know, thats what I thought too at first, but the idea of the college being in the outskirts really appeals to me especially since we'll be studying a lot during school. the downtown area might be of a distraction, but definitely something to check out on the weekends! I'm excited for that!

Do any of you guys think it's possible to survive without a car at Mercer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you guys think it's possible to survive without a car at Mercer?

My uneducated guess, I think you will at least need some friends who have cars. Some people from Atlanta area posted in this thread a while ago and I think might have commented on this.

Wouldn't advise attending any college without a car., main reason inconvenience in the long-run.

On having a car, I have heard that its not easy to survive without a car at Mercer, but I am not planning to drive down to Atlanta from Md, and I was also thinking, where would I keep my car during breaks? the whole idea of bringing a car is really not appealing to me, plus I'd like to save some money on insurance, parking and gas...just my opinion. But I might still change my mind.

Well I actually really dislikeMiami (I'm from down here in south Florida) so I guess I'm not a reliable source because I will say that pine trees are better than palm trees. LOL

I thought the campus was beautiful, but then again it is different than what I am used to (I went to UM with lots of flat grass, palm trees, flat land, NO brick buildings), so I like how Mercer looks more like a college to me. I also like the big trees, etc.

I love Atlanta too and I like the fact that Mercer is a little outside of the city, so you can relax at home and study peacefully, but then you can go to the city on the weekend and there is a lot of culture and stuff that you wouldn't find in a traditional small "college" town.

If you are from someplace else, you might not feel excited about the scenery, but it's so different for me that I like it.

Not to mention the fact that EVERYONE is WAY nicer than they are here in south Florida. People here are infamous for being unfriendly. lol

i have lived in Miami my entire life (1 minute away from UM actually) and i totally agree with you. i think moving to a city like Atlanta would be such a refreshing change

On having a car, I have heard that its not easy to survive without a car at Mercer, but I am not planning to drive down to Atlanta from Md, and I was also thinking, where would I keep my car during breaks? the whole idea of bringing a car is really not appealing to me, plus I'd like to save some money on insurance, parking and gas...just my opinion. But I might still change my mind.

Me too! I will have to drive from Arizona, and its not appealing, but I don't want to depend on other people for rides when I'm in GA, you know? Also, I heard we have to do first year clinicals which will require us to go to a hospital, and the bus might take a while...

Yeah I like downtown because of the MARTA and stuff, but it is not too far at all... you just have to figure out what time of day to leave the house if you aren't used to urban traffic. lol

You know, thats what I thought too at first, but the idea of the college being in the outskirts really appeals to me especially since we'll be studying a lot during school. the downtown area might be of a distraction, but definitely something to check out on the weekends! I'm excited for that!

I would probably get distracted. :laugh: This is why I like how Mercer is a bit outside the city... plus there is a cheerleading gym in Roswell I want to practice at when I am stressed out or bored. LOL

My uneducated guess, I think you will at least need some friends who have cars. Some people from Atlanta area posted in this thread a while ago and I think might have commented on this.

I think it's beneficial to have a car since Atlanta is spread out and the public transportation is not great, but you can probably survive if you aren't scared to ask for rides. I know Miami is horrible without a car, but a few years after I started college they banned freshman from having cars (and most students are out of state since it's private) and they found a way to get by. I think it's different in professional school though since we will probably doing internships, more volunteering/community service and club activities, etc... but it's probably do-able if you have to.

Oh yeah... there is IPPE though, which requires a drive to a site that is assigned to you once a week for pharmacy experience. I'm not sure if they take location into consideration if you don't have a car, but they might work something out for you? I'm not exactly sure how that whole thing works yet.

i have lived in Miami my entire life (1 minute away from UM actually) and i totally agree with you. i think moving to a city like Atlanta would be such a refreshing change

Yayy Coral Gables!!! :banana: LOL My parents live in the Keys so I don't stay there anymore though. :(

Last edited:
for those of you who have already been accepted or current students at Mercer, did the adcom provide you any information or do you know anything about how many open seats are left?

for those of you who have already been accepted or current students at Mercer, did the adcom provide you any information or do you know anything about how many open seats are left?

They didn't tell us that information. Back in December (when I got accepted) they did tell us that a handful of people had been accepted, but there is hope now! Good luck with your application!

They didn't tell us that information. Back in December (when I got accepted) they did tell us that a handful of people had been accepted, but there is hope now! Good luck with your application!

Thanks for the input and congrats on your acceptance to Mercer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else have other hotel and transportation recommendations for the interview? I was planning on taking the MARTA train to the area and then take the city bus to a hotel. Then on interview day, take the bus to and from Mercer. Does this sound like too much trouble?

Anybody else have other hotel and transportation recommendations for the interview? I was planning on taking the MARTA train to the area and then take the city bus to a hotel. Then on interview day, take the bus to and from Mercer. Does this sound like too much trouble?

I did that! Saved me so much money! I think I spent a total of around 15 dollars on transportation for a span of 3 days. It was great. I learned more about the surrounding areas that way.

I did that! Saved me so much money! I think I spent a total of around 15 dollars on transportation for a span of 3 days. It was great. I learned more about the surrounding areas that way.

How efficient/convenient was the bus system? Was it okay to take to the interview? Also, which hotel did you stay at and how much was it?

has anyone been accepted from the 3/5 interview??

How efficient/convenient was the bus system? Was it okay to take to the interview? Also, which hotel did you stay at and how much was it?

I stayed at Extended StayAmerica. It was about $150 for two nights? From there, I was able to take a bus to the Marta and then take a bus again. It took me a total of two hours to get to the interview, but then again, I was staying about 20 miles away. It was great and cheap. When you book your room, ask the hotel front desk how far the MARTA is from the hotel and they'll be able to help you.

When I went for my interview back in December I stayed at the Double Tree which was roughly about 10 mins away from the school and they had a complementary shuttle service so I didn't have to worry about how I was going to get to the interview...It was $200 for the two days I stayed there and $170 for the plane ticket...It was a little on the expensive side but the hotel had a resturaunt inside so I was living like a boss...lol

When I went for my interview back in December I stayed at the Double Tree which was roughly about 10 mins away from the school and they had a complementary shuttle service so I didn't have to worry about how I was going to get to the interview...It was $200 for the two days I stayed there and $170 for the plane ticket...It was a little on the expensive side but the hotel had a resturaunt inside so I was living like a boss...lol

Me too! Did you eat dinner at Marlow's Tavern? That place was sooo good! I had the filet with bernaise sauce on top of a fried egg, and the kettle chips with bacon, ranch, and cheese. I also tried the shrimp and grits too.

I went pretty late, like around 10, and there were TONS of people in there. There was a convention going on for the insurance workers of Georgia or something.

I also took the free shuttle, but when I go back for the picnic I am renting a car because I felt like I couldn't really go around and see the area or do anything when I was there. I won't be 23 until May though so I hope the car isn't too expensive... maybe my boyfriend can rent it since he is turning 25.

My flight was about $130-140 from MIA to ATL but I booked it about 2 weeks in advanced. It was Delta though which I had never flown before. I wish Jet Blue flew into Atlanta, but I don't think it does. I am going to try and avoid Delta next time though because it wasn't a very pleasant experience. lol

Me too! Did you eat dinner at Marlow's Tavern? That place was sooo good! I had the filet with bernaise sauce on top of a fried egg, and the kettle chips with bacon, ranch, and cheese. I also tried the shrimp and grits too.

I went pretty late, like around 10, and there were TONS of people in there. There was a convention going on for the insurance workers of Georgia or something.

I also took the free shuttle, but when I go back for the picnic I am renting a car because I felt like I couldn't really go around and see the area or do anything when I was there. I won't be 23 until May though so I hope the car isn't too expensive... maybe my boyfriend can rent it since he is turning 25.

My flight was about $130-140 from MIA to ATL but I booked it about 2 weeks in advanced. It was Delta though which I had never flown before. I wish Jet Blue flew into Atlanta, but I don't think it does. I am going to try and avoid Delta next time though because it wasn't a very pleasant experience. lol

Have you tried AirTran? Hopefully you haven't had a bad experience with AirTran :)

Just had my Mercer interview on the 26th. It was a very pleasant and low-stress experience. My only gripe would be that I wanted to see all of the library but we kind of just stepped in and out and the labs looked semi-decent.

Have you tried AirTran? Hopefully you haven't had a bad experience with AirTran :)

I like Air Tran... I flew with them from Ft Lauderdale to Kansas City, MO once and I joined the frequent flyer club because they gave me a free teddy bear wearing a pilots jacket and googles! lol

I haven't flown with them since, but I am thinking about flying either AirTran or AA when I go to the picnic. The only reason I had to fly Delta to the interview was because my mom used Amex points and Delta was the cheapest. I don't think AirTran was on the list. Why doesn't ATL have Jet Blue? :(:(:( I know they've been expanding but they still haven't been stationed at Hartsfield no?

I like Air Tran... I flew with them from Ft Lauderdale to Kansas City, MO once and I joined the frequent flyer club because they gave me a free teddy bear wearing a pilots jacket and googles! lol

I haven't flown with them since, but I am thinking about flying either AirTran or AA when I go to the picnic. The only reason I had to fly Delta to the interview was because my mom used Amex points and Delta was the cheapest. I don't think AirTran was on the list. Why doesn't ATL have Jet Blue? :(:(:( I know they've been expanding but they still haven't been stationed at Hartsfield no?

I work for AirTran lol and AirTran takes Amex Pts but I'm not sure if it's cheaper or what the comparison of prices is. AirTran flies from Miami too. I haven't flown much so I don't know much about other airlines. There are some that are better for different cities.

I work for AirTran lol and AirTran takes Amex Pts but I'm not sure if it's cheaper or what the comparison of prices is. AirTran flies from Miami too. I haven't flown much so I don't know much about other airlines. There are some that are better for different cities.

Hm maybe the Air Tran flights were already booked when we tried to pick out our flight... I went with my mom so we needed two seats. That's why I'm trying to book mine for April asap since I'm going with my boyfriend this time. Do you live in Savannah? My dad lived there for a long time. I used to fly there a lottt. I love Tybee Island. lol Air Tran JUST started flying to my hometown Key West in February which is cool. It's 350 dollars round trip from Atlanta though since it's a small airport and expensive for all airlines.

I just found out I might be staying in an hotel the night before the interview! I am really worried because I've never been to Atlanta and I'm not bringing a car(from Maryland). Does anyone know of a good hotel and how I can get to Mercer from there (p.s I can't rent a car because I'm 20!). Any good advise would be appreciated. thanks and goodluck to everyone.

Not sure if you've made your final plans yet, but the other posters are right - shuttle or cab all the way from the airport is very expensive. A less expensive alternative would be to take MARTA train from the airport to either Chamblee or Doraville station - then you can get a cab from there to your hotel. Unless it's really late or early, there are usually a couple of cabs hanging out at those stations. Then, you could either do the hotel shuttle to the interview if the hotel has one, or you could do a cab to campus.

Good luck with your interview.

Has anyone heard back from the 3/26 interview?

I got a call and message from Mercer today... but sadly I couldn't call back until they were already closed for the day. I'm hoping it'll be good news when I call back tomorrow..:xf: (p.s. my interview was all the way back on 3/5 for those who have intervied recently!)

I got a phone call today too from Melva who told me I was accepted! They just had the meeting yesterday (Monday) so if you got a phone call it should be good news-

MB41, they only call you if you're accepted so I think it is good news. So congrats MB41 and gilgamesh.

yep, I just called back and I am accepted!!!:D I am so excited!

I'm 99% sure I'll be there! Is it bad that I base these kind of decisions on how much $ I'll have to spend on gas? :)

I will be there!!! Can't wait to meet everyone!:)

I'm 99% sure I'll be there! Is it bad that I base these kind of decisions on how much $ I'll have to spend on gas? :)

That's awesome guys!

No it's not bad... I'm sure we're all pretty broke. I'm booking my reservations now and I could definitely make you feel better if I told you how much it is going to cost me. LOL The only reason I can afford it is because I've been working, my boyfriend might come and help pay, and I just got a refund check today for this quarter of my MBA classes.

It's 340 for both our flights, 100 for the hotel in Atlanta, 100+ for the rental car, and another 100 for the hotel in Miami because I have to take an exam at FIU on Saturday when I get back and I don't live near Miami anymore. This is not counting food, gas, and shopping (I shouldn't be but I know I want to go to Lennox and Buckhead lol).

So yeah it's going to be like 400 a peice for us, but I figure that it's worth it because it's kind of a once in a lifetime thing to get into pharmacy school and also go on one of the only vacations I'm going to have in a long time since I start working full time next month and then start school in August.

Anyone have an interview April 9th? I'd love to "meet" some fellow interviewees on here!

Anyone have an interview April 9th? I'd love to "meet" some fellow interviewees on here!

I have an interview on April 9 also, but mine is at at 9am. What time is yours.

i have an interview on the same day (may 14th).. :( it seems so late.

I have one on April 9 as well at 1 pm! I was at their airport for 5 hours a day ago for a flight to another pharmacy interview and it was big. Does anyone know how long the entire process will take?

I have one on April 9 as well at 1 pm! I was at their airport for 5 hours a day ago for a flight to another pharmacy interview and it was big. Does anyone know how long the entire process will take?

I think they told me it will take 3 hours? I'm starting to get nervous!

Hartsfield is one of the busiest airports in the country I believe, but it is nice. I like it more than MIA. My flight was pretty much seamless as far as the airport went, and the customs/security people were super friendly. I stopped and chatted with two security agents for about 20 min because they saw me emptying the Mercer water bottle so I could bring it on the plane and asked me what I was doing in Atlanta. LOL

My interview was from 1-4 exactly... everything was on schedule... so basically you can probably expect the same?

Good Luck!

We were lucky. Our interview was the day it snowed...so it was from 1-3 (barely). It was super comfortable, so the length didn't really matter. But, I had to drive back in that snow. It is normally a 2 hour drive from Atlanta to Birmingham. It took me 6 hours to get home! :thumbdown:

We were lucky. Our interview was the day it snowed...so it was from 1-3 (barely). It was super comfortable, so the length didn't really matter. But, I had to drive back in that snow. It is normally a 2 hour drive from Atlanta to Birmingham. It took me 6 hours to get home! :thumbdown:

Ahh Lucky! That was like the week before mine! I'm from south Florida so when asked if there was anything else I wanted to add to ask I said I was hoping it snowed again!!! LOL It was about 30-45 degrees while I was there, but no snow = ( I actually really like the chilly weather and snow, but not driving in it. That would be scary. :scared:

Sweet man! Congrats! Yeah, I've heard it's about 3 hours as well.

The three hours isn't all too bad. It sounds bad but it's not lol you'll see what I mean...

I recommend reading some of the questions from the interview feedback they have on SDN for Mercer COPHS

The three hours isn't all too bad. It sounds bad but it's not lol you'll see what I mean...

I recommend reading some of the questions from the interview feedback they have on SDN for Mercer COPHS

For the interview, do we have to write an essay???