Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just saw this one in the paper today: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9164101&type=product&id=1218040477834 It's a Toshiba and has some nice specs for a good price. My friends all like their Toshiba's and supposedly they last a long time. I think their trackpads and keyboards are better than HPs.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ON like Donkey Kong!!! Get pumped!!1!

*pant* e-mail address... in the e-mail... orientation site... had to come tell everyone *pant, pant*

I'm pretty psyched though - orientation site and mcw email is up! This will do a lot to help the nightmares where I get there and they have no record of who I am. In the most recent one, they had also switched to the grading system used for the OWLS in Harry Potter (outstanding, exceeds expectations, average, troll... or something like that).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some e-mail settings to configure!

dang i have got anything. nervous. what region are you from?

dang i have got anything. nervous. what region are you from?

I'm in Wisconsin, but the login info and whatnot came via e-mail. Check your spam folder maybe?

I suppose it's also possible they're rolling out the logins over the next couple days, I can see where that'd be easier on the IT folk.

I'm in Wisconsin, but the login info and whatnot came via e-mail. Check your spam folder maybe?

I suppose it's also possible they're rolling out the logins over the next couple days, I can see where that'd be easier on the IT folk.

I'm hoping that they are splitting them up, as I haven't received anything yet either. But then again, they're probably doing it alphabetically, which would put me towards the back of the line anyhow.

I'm hoping that they are splitting them up, as I haven't received anything yet either. But then again, they're probably doing it alphabetically, which would put me towards the back of the line anyhow.

Yeah, actually it could also be chronologically or something. I'm a 2008 grad who took a year off (applying originally for the class of 2012), so that might have something to do with it. Stay tuned, I'm sure it's coming.

In the meantime, you can get yourself measured and figure out what size white coat you want. That, a survey for AMCAS, and some empty forums, are pretty much the extent of the site, at the moment.

Ashers, you don't like US Bank then?

It seems like it'd be better to get our loans and such through the banks in the Great Lakes guarantor deal, which apparently are Access Group, Discover, EdAmerica, Graduate Leverage, National City Bank Cleveland, Anchorbank, and US Bank.

The school won't recommend any of those, but do you have any idea which bank people seem to prefer?

It seems like it'd be better to get our loans and such through the banks in the Great Lakes guarantor deal, which apparently are Access Group, Discover, EdAmerica, Graduate Leverage, National City Bank Cleveland, Anchorbank, and US Bank.

The school won't recommend any of those, but do you have any idea which bank people seem to prefer?

I thought I saw somewhere that people liked Discover; that's the one I went with. By the way, it's totally normal to taste blood in your mouth after signing your life (or an appreciable part thereof) away :)

US Bank checking is different than US Bank loans. Look at the benefits you can get and decide from there for the loans.

For checking, they put holds on large deposits EVERY TIME you deposit a large check -- even if it comes from a place several times (like getting checks from fin aid once a semester). I've had multiple issues over the years... too many to remember. I have a bank that I can use where I've had no problems.

For bank banking a lot of people like Chase or M&I.
My US Bank loan was sold the US Dept of Education.

So any recommendations for who to get a loan from?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is with these excursions that are scheduled for orientation week...where do they take us?

Also, is the white coat ceremony really two hours long!?

What is with these excursions that are scheduled for orientation week...where do they take us?

Out back. Where do you think they get cadavers for the survivors to dissect? :)

Hi everyone, and congratulations to all the new M1s!

Haven't been on here in a long time, but in case you don't know me, I am a recent graduate. Starting internship tomorrow morning, bright and early (not at MCW).

I used M&I bank during med school. Convenient locations, the student checking includes no-fee ATM withdrawls at all machines, and the school banks with M&I so the financial aid checks clear quick. There is also a Chase on State Street.

As far as lenders, just like Ashers said, you just gotta sit down and compare the options. No magic to it. I do recommend picking a Great Lakes lender because it will make your life a little easier come repayment time.

I just had to buy a new laptop, as mine crashed bigtime. Debated between HP and going Mac. Well, I feel like a bit of a sellout, but I went Mac. Tired of all the quality issues with PCs. And a friend from high school, who works in computers, recently bought a macbook and said he would never spend the money on a PC laptop again, even if they are cheaper. And actually, between the 2 laptops I was comparing, the Macbook Pro 13" was only slightly more expensive for about the same specs. (took the education discount).

As far as residency, the match, and reputation... when I was on the interview trail, I heard many good comments about our clinical training at MCW. Apparently we do true sub-i's, while at some schools it sounds like their responsibility is less. A lot of the match process is individual - where your personal preferences lie in where you end up and what kind of work you put into your grades/Step 1. I interviewed all over the country including Columbia, Duke, UCSF, UCLA, Wash U, Northwestern, U of Chicago, Mayo. I never got the impression that my attending MCW was anything but a plus.

The financial aid budget is tight. I did not have a roommate and had to supplement with credit card usage - bad idea, btw. With a roommate, it's not so bad, but not much give either.

I highly recommend doing any activities during orientation week, or pre-orientation week. I met awesome people during pre-orientation who became good friends. Socially, you may become behind the ball without attending these things. May sound dumb, but it's true. With the class size similar to high school, rather than college, people tend to group up rather quickly. Plus the stuff was fun!

I gotta go to bed now - rest up for my not-so-easy internship. Hope some of that helped!

Hi everyone, and congratulations to all the new M1s!

Haven't been on here in a long time, but in case you don't know me, I am a recent graduate. Starting internship tomorrow morning, bright and early (not at MCW).

I used M&I bank during med school. Convenient locations, the student checking includes no-fee ATM withdrawls at all machines, and the school banks with M&I so the financial aid checks clear quick. There is also a Chase on State Street.

As far as lenders, just like Ashers said, you just gotta sit down and compare the options. No magic to it. I do recommend picking a Great Lakes lender because it will make your life a little easier come repayment time.

Unless they go and sell your loan like they did with my M4 loan. And now I'm gonna consolidate my M1 loan since Student Loan Express had issues M1 year (that's the only company I'd recommend against), and the consolidation rate will be 1.88%!!!! My undergrad loans are consolidated at 2.875%. But, I'll have loans in 4 locations (undergrad, M1, M2-3, M4). =( Great Lakes has been good in servicing loans so far.

Good luck working! I don't start until 1 July, but I got the shaft for my call schedule for August. I start call for that rotation on 31 July, and my last call is on 31 August... 7 calls -- the most anyone can get. I don't care if they tell us not to count stuff. It's in my nature. At least I have 2 goldens in July!

I just had to buy a new laptop, as mine crashed bigtime. Debated between HP and going Mac. Well, I feel like a bit of a sellout, but I went Mac. Tired of all the quality issues with PCs. And a friend from high school, who works in computers, recently bought a macbook and said he would never spend the money on a PC laptop again, even if they are cheaper. And actually, between the 2 laptops I was comparing, the Macbook Pro 13" was only slightly more expensive for about the same specs. (took the education discount).

As far as residency, the match, and reputation... when I was on the interview trail, I heard many good comments about our clinical training at MCW. Apparently we do true sub-i's, while at some schools it sounds like their responsibility is less. A lot of the match process is individual - where your personal preferences lie in where you end up and what kind of work you put into your grades/Step 1. I interviewed all over the country including Columbia, Duke, UCSF, UCLA, Wash U, Northwestern, U of Chicago, Mayo. I never got the impression that my attending MCW was anything but a plus.

The financial aid budget is tight. I did not have a roommate and had to supplement with credit card usage - bad idea, btw. With a roommate, it's not so bad, but not much give either.

I highly recommend doing any activities during orientation week, or pre-orientation week. I met awesome people during pre-orientation who became good friends. Socially, you may become behind the ball without attending these things. May sound dumb, but it's true. With the class size similar to high school, rather than college, people tend to group up rather quickly. Plus the stuff was fun!

I gotta go to bed now - rest up for my not-so-easy internship. Hope some of that helped!

Boo! Mac! I'm a PC, and I refuse to buy Apple. No iPod for me. I like my Dells.

What akpete said about the sub-Is is true from what I observed in my away rotation sub-I. I think at MCW we get a much better experience. At my away, we were told not to write post op notes or do other things that I volunteered to do because "it isn't educational." You'll learn, there's education in almost everything you do on the wards, and you'll become adept at figuring out the difference between scut and work.

The zoo is fun. Go there. I haven't ever been to the art museum due to a complete lack of any interest whatsoever in art.

Out back. Where do you think they get cadavers for the survivors to dissect? :)

Thanks for the heads up. So tell me, where did they tell you they were going to take you before they took you out back?

Unless they go and sell your loan like they did with my M4 loan.

Well, to be fair, Great Lakes didn't sell it; the lender did.

Boo loans!

Well, to be fair, Great Lakes didn't sell it; the lender did.

Boo loans!

Fair enough, I knew that, but I've been trying to figure out so much loan stuff recently I got confuzzled -- especially since all my loans were in 1 spot to begin with. I heard most lenders were selling them anyway since that was they were the only one they were allowed to sell. I do like Great Lakes more than Sallie Mae which has my undergrad loans. Great Lakes seems to be on top of everything.

Thinking about getting the new 13" macbook pro.

Do they sell them at the MCW bookstore? Is software/apple care any cheaper there (windows/iwork/office/parallels)?

I know UCLA has some pretty good deals, so just wondering if MCW has any good deals.

Oh yea, and also for any mac users, have you had any issues with compatibility?

Thanks.

Thinking about getting the new 13" macbook pro.

Do they sell them at the MCW bookstore? Is software/apple care any cheaper there (windows/iwork/office/parallels)?

I know UCLA has some pretty good deals, so just wondering if MCW has any good deals.

Oh yea, and also for any mac users, have you had any issues with compatibility?

Thanks.

MCW doesn't sell any computer stuff. There's an Apple store in the Mayfair mall where you can probably get a student discount.
I have not had any compatibility issues. Open Office is free to download and has been fine thus far for Microsoft Office stuff.

MCW doesn't sell any computer stuff. There's an Apple store in the Mayfair mall where you can probably get a student discount.
I have not had any compatibility issues. Open Office is free to download and has been fine thus far for Microsoft Office stuff.

Do you have windows on your mac? I hear some programs used in medical school only run on windows, is this true?

Istwan already said MCW doesn't recommend one over another, both should be fine. I think that virtually any program will be available for both. The services MCW has are all web-based and I imagine would work on any compatible browser , including stuff on Linux or BeOS or Amiga or whatever OS you're using as long as you have a modern browser.

You can go to the apple store for education online. There's about a $100 discount on the MacBook Pro and modest discounts on software.

I'm still trying to decide between shelling out for the mac and surviving with a cheapie myself... We'll see.

You can go to the apple store for education online. There's about a $100 discount on the MacBook Pro and modest discounts on software.

I'm still trying to decide between shelling out for the mac and surviving with a cheapie myself... We'll see.

Yea, I'm trying to decide if sturdy/good quality and service are worth the extra money.

And they are beautiful machines. I wonder about heat problems though. Atleast at the stores they didnt seem bad.

To current students:

How much is printing at MCW?

Is it worth it to purchase a color inkjet printer or a color laser printer to print out notes and other class materials?

To current students:

How much is printing at MCW?

Is it worth it to purchase a color inkjet printer or a color laser printer to print out notes and other class materials?
printing is absurd. it's like 13 cents per page, and color is something obscene, like 50 cents a page. I bought a Brother laser printer right before I started, and I got a bundle deal buying an extra toner cartridge at the same time. Spent $60 on the printer and $18 on toner. Didn't replace the toner until after M2, and I'm still on the second cartridge now.

Color laser = mad cash. I'm not sure the diagrams really need to be in color. I'd strongly recommend a laser printer though. Inkjets are cash cows for their manufacturers, and the quality is almost always obviously lower.

With the draft of this fall's schedule posted, I wonder how accurate it is.

http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/User/ddenzin/M1_2009_Master_Fall_Draft_Schedule.pdf

I know, "a lot of people don't go to class." I just don't see my self as one of those people.

How does it work so that not all 200 of us are in dissection at the same time? Also, if you attend everything are you really there from 8:30(ish) to 5(ish) everyday?

Thanks

http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/User/ddenzin/M1_2009_Master_Fall_Draft_Schedule.pdf

I know, "a lot of people don't go to class." I just don't see my self as one of those people.

How does it work so that not all 200 of us are in dissection at the same time? Also, if you attend everything are you really there from 8:30(ish) to 5(ish) everyday?

Thanks

You don't have to be one of those people. I went to almost all classes. I started skipping Devo because Dr. Bolander's cadence of speech put me to sleep. I listened to him at home on mp3 on double-speed and got a lot more out of it. Some days you will be there 8:30ish to 5ish; other days you may get out a little (or a lot) earlier.

Guess what? You ARE all in dissection at the same time, in theory. The anatomy lab is divided into two very large sections, an east and a west room, with ca. 100 students each side, 4-5 (can't remember exactly) per "body donor". Faculty circulate around the room and offer ad hoc advice and mini-lectures. In many groups, after a while, there is a formal or informal agreement that not everybody shows up every day. Some days there is a lot to do and you need everyone's help, and some days there is not so much or you just can't stand to be there. As long as you study each week (don't forget to look at the structures in other groups!), you're okay. I remember being distinctly alone on penis and scrotum day (I was the only woman in my group), but that meant I felt justified in skipping colon and rectum day, so it all worked out. I hope this helps.

The zoo is fun. Go there. I haven't ever been to the art museum due to a complete lack of any interest whatsoever in art.

Been a long time since I've looked at this thread, but I just had to comment on the bolded: I knew there was a reason why I liked you, Ashers. :D

Been a long time since I've looked at this thread, but I just had to comment on the bolded: I knew there was a reason why I liked you, Ashers. :D

LOL. :laugh: That and I'm doing anesthesia?

Thanks

You'll be at school longer in the first semester because of anatomy. Our lab groups were divided into 5/table. It's generally frowned upon to miss anatomy lab consistently because it's a team effort doing work in there.

2nd semester, you can do the labs from home.

Some M1-2s told me that they're getting rid of the micro lab.

I think that would be kind of a shame. It's hard enough to absorb some of those godawful micro lectures WITH the labs.

Hello MCWers! I've been spying on SDN forums for a while but this is my first post, yay!

First big question: several current med students have advised me to buy Step 1 books now and use them during the first couple years of med school to help with the preparation process. There seems to be a million sets of books out there and people mix-and-match them instead of following one set for all the subjects. Can current students/grads please let us know which books you used and/or know to be best?

On the intense-looking 8-5 schedule note, is there time for things like sleep, sports, and fun?

Heya Hippo! I'm in the same M0 boat you are, but I've got a friend who just took Step 1 and bequeathed me his First Aid book. I think I'll just hold on to that one (it has little snippets of everything) and augment with subject-specific books as it becomes necessary.

I see everyone was chatting about laptop computer recommendations, but what about cellphones?

My plan is up, and I'm actually looking to buy a really simple phone, a Motorola Adventure, because it's supposed to be (mostly) indestructible - a feature my past phones definitely lacked. It doesn't have all of the fancy web apps and things all of the new phones have. I don't really need them, but I was wondering, does MCW have any technology that syncs up with the new generation of cellphones? Is there any reason I might want to buy one of those high tech ones?

I see they issue iPods in M3, but is there any thing else I might want to know before signing a 2 year contract?

I see everyone was chatting about laptop computer recommendations, but what about cellphones?

My plan is up, and I'm actually looking to buy a really simple phone, a Motorola Adventure, because it's supposed to be (mostly) indestructible - a feature my past phones definitely lacked. It doesn't have all of the fancy web apps and things all of the new phones have. I don't really need them, but I was wondering, does MCW have any technology that syncs up with the new generation of cellphones? Is there any reason I might want to buy one of those high tech ones?

I see they issue iPods in M3, but is there any thing else I might want to know before signing a 2 year contract?

It doesn't matter what phone or service you have; the college and the hospitals have terrible cell phone reception. That's the first thing to know. After that, probably not much else to consider beyond what works well for you.

It doesn't matter what phone or service you have; the college and the hospitals have terrible cell phone reception. That's the first thing to know. After that, probably not much else to consider beyond what works well for you.

Verizon works in most of the Dert, except for the basement. Sometimes it was difficult to get internet though in the middle of floors.

CHW I haven't had problems really... except maybe in the basement.

Hello MCWers! I've been spying on SDN forums for a while but this is my first post, yay!

First big question: several current med students have advised me to buy Step 1 books now and use them during the first couple years of med school to help with the preparation process. There seems to be a million sets of books out there and people mix-and-match them instead of following one set for all the subjects. Can current students/grads please let us know which books you used and/or know to be best?

On the intense-looking 8-5 schedule note, is there time for things like sleep, sports, and fun?
I would buy review books for most of your courses - things like BRS Physiology or Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple. Use them during the course, because they're good books, and then when you're studying for boards, you'll already have a bunch of review books that you're familiar with, so it'll just be review (which is all you should be doing when you study for the boards).

I went to the MCW bookstore and looked through tons of review books to find what I wanted for my Step 1 studying, and it was really helpful. You want the right mix of pictures/text/mnemonics/etc.

Verizon works in most of the Dert, except for the basement. Sometimes it was difficult to get internet though in the middle of floors.

CHW I haven't had problems really... except maybe in the basement.
getting used to being Dr. Ashers yet?

The Medical College made the front page of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's business page today. Actually, the more I think about it, the less sure I am that it's a business article, per se.

'Friend Raiser' in Chief

Anyway, it's kind of interesting. Even though I lived here through most of it, I didn't realize the sort of massive expansion that went on during the past 20 years.

Since 1990, he has helped the school:

• Boost externally funded research by nearly 400%, to $145.7 million.

• Increase its operating budget by nearly 600%, to more than $850 million.

• Increase the number of faculty physicians to 1,100 from 400, and push the number of endowed professorships to 39 from nine.

That's pretty impressive.