Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice. I am sure residency interviewing, etc fill that break pretty full, but it sounds great on paper.

Not as badly as you'd think. Of course, I had vacation in April after the match, and I did a whole lot of nothing. Lots of interviews in December though. That was sorta fun. Buy a GPS if you plan on driving to most of them. Worth every penny.

Members don't see this ad.

Another random question: I know orientation week will require a modest level of dressing up, especially picture day (Tuesday I think). However, what is the "required/suggested" attire for Monday, and the rest of the week (aside from white coat ceremony - requiring a suit)?

I just fear pre-maturely stereotyping myself by showing up in a) a tux, or b) my AC/DC t-shirt, jean shorts and tiva sandals.

(Have I just stereotyped myself anyway??)

I was just wondering about the same thing, Delo. I think I'm going khakis and a button-up shirt on the first day (which sucks, because Monday is supposed to be in the 80s). But I don't want to be 'the guy' that came in way under or over dressed the first day, and I feel like this splits the difference. We'll see...

PS - For those of you following the string of clues, Mattabet will be there, at orientation, wearing khakis. Prize goes to the first person to correctly identify him, just like in Clue. On a side note, I'm kinda hoping to meet the real Prowler at some point, but I'm afraid that I'll be disappointed when he doesn't look anything like his avatar (and terrified if he does).

Not as badly as you'd think. Of course, I had vacation in April after the match, and I did a whole lot of nothing. Lots of interviews in December though. That was sorta fun. Buy a GPS if you plan on driving to most of them. Worth every penny.

It is if you have 5 interviews in 6 days in 5 different states in 4 regions of the country, and you're on a trip with 8 interviews total and 13 interviews total.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering about the same thing, Delo. I think I'm going khakis and a button-up shirt on the first day (which sucks, because Monday is supposed to be in the 80s). But I don't want to be 'the guy' that came in way under or over dressed the first day, and I feel like this splits the difference. We'll see...

PS - For those of you following the string of clues, Mattabet will be there, at orientation, wearing khakis. Prize goes to the first person to correctly identify him, just like in Clue. On a side note, I'm kinda hoping to meet the real Prowler at some point, but I'm afraid that I'll be disappointed when he doesn't look anything like his avatar (and terrified if he does).

Mattabet - so how do we go about "identifying" you? I am not sure I want to walk around asking everyone if they are Mattabet... maybe we can concoct some secret code hand signal.

I will dress the same I suppose, and though it'll be hot, I think the A/C is pretty good everywhere (except my car).

I'll provide minimal insight here as well - the real prowler prides him/her-self in exploiting the cover of darkness.

**Disclaimer:Actual appearance may or may not resemble the avatar

Mattabet - so how do we go about "identifying" you? I am not sure I want to walk around asking everyone if they are Mattabet... maybe we can concoct some secret code hand signal.

It seems like it'd be pretty entertaining to watch people strike out guessing. But, in the interest of fairness, I'll try to drop some miscellaneous hand signals to elicit guessing.

Of course, the real Delo_Ohm will also be flashing hand signals and wearing khakis, so there'll still be a pretty significant amount of confusion. :)

You'll be disappointed when you meet him no matter what.

I was thinking slacks and a polo for Monday too. Wouldn't it be nice if they had a suggested dress code for orientation?

I was thinking slacks and a polo for Monday too. Wouldn't it be nice if they had a suggested dress code for orientation?

Wow, everyone is so proper.

I was just thinking t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. Hmmm...........

Wow, everyone is so proper.

I was just thinking t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. Hmmm...........

Well, my tevas and AC/DC shirt are still available. If I can get a little confirmation that everyones going this way I could consider??

butthead1.gif

Another random question: I know orientation week will require a modest level of dressing up, especially picture day (Tuesday I think). However, what is the "required/suggested" attire for Monday, and the rest of the week (aside from white coat ceremony - requiring a suit)?

I just fear pre-maturely stereotyping myself by showing up in a) a tux, or b) my AC/DC t-shirt, jean shorts and tiva sandals.

(Have I just stereotyped myself anyway??)
I wore jeans and a polo. Most people had professional attire on...

Yes, that's the spirit!

Edit: If it stays like this though, I will have to wear shoes!

You have to love August weather in WI. It gets so thick and humid that you almost welcome the rain.

I enjoy the cold weather myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm enjoying the cool of the thunderstorm's rain right now. I thought this kind of weather was a Hawaiin thing, I didn't realize it could go from miserably hot to crazy rain and wind so quickly.

Right now, you guys are probably all getting the speeches about how you're on the beginning of an epic journey. Mike Istwan comes in and says hi to all of you and points out the gender breakdown of the class and if there's anyone from a weird place like Hawaii. The dean might make a cameo. A few other important people, and then Dr. Haldemann gives some sort of spiel, I'm sure.

I'm enjoying the cool of the thunderstorm's rain right now. I thought this kind of weather was a Hawaiin [sic] thing, I didn't realize it could go from miserably hot to crazy rain and wind so quickly.

UGH! No! Not a Hawaiian thing unless the winds are the wrong way. Typically there are the trade winds that keep it cool and not muggy. This is a Midwest and SE US thing.

A PSA from your local poster who grew up in Hawaii with family in the Midwest.

Note: the weather in HI may suck now wsince there's a tropical storm going there.

Right now, you guys are probably all getting the speeches about how you're on the beginning of an epic journey. Mike Istwan comes in and says hi to all of you and points out the gender breakdown of the class and if there's anyone from a weird place like Hawaii. The dean might make a cameo. A few other important people, and then Dr. Haldemann gives some sort of spiel, I'm sure.

This year he gave a knit hat to a girl that is from one of the most southern points in Florida.

The other guy from Hawai'i and I got beanies. I still use it, but in the winter. Not right now, it's too freaking muggy.

Hehe, ic. I guess that's Mike's thing, which is cool.

How goes residency?

Ugh. I'm bored of orientation already. And four days to go.

Remember the "ace speaker" that talked about financial aid? That's the moment when my thermostat went from 'excited and engaged' to 'comatose'. Plus, he used multiplication (clearly beyond our understanding) to show that if you cut out everything you love for the next ten years, you'll save yourself a trivial 4% 25 years down the line.

Electric :thumbdown:.

But I still put 'agree' on his feedback form because I'm pretty sure the girl next to me was watching me fill it out, and I didn't want to look like a sociopath.

Remember the "ace speaker" that talked about financial aid? That's the moment when my thermostat went from 'excited and engaged' to 'comatose'. Plus, he used multiplication (clearly beyond our understanding) to show that if you cut out everything you love for the next ten years, you'll save yourself a trivial 4% 25 years down the line.

But I still put 'agree' on his feedback form because I'm pretty sure the girl next to me was watching me fill it out, and I didn't want to look like a sociopath.

Ha - I completely forgot that he was introduced as a great presenter! I guess his enthusiasm was there:sleep:

Mattabet - I missed the hand signals??

Anyone interested in the "suggested nightly activities" for tomorrow? I am sure there is a pub that could accommodate us...

Ha - I completely forgot that he was introduced as a great presenter! I guess his enthusiasm was there:sleep:

Mattabet - I missed the hand signals??

Anyone interested in the "suggested nightly activities" for tomorrow? I am sure there is a pub that could accommodate us...

I've got to lame out tomorrow - my friend has kick-ass Brewer tickets (I very well may be going to two games in two days). But we should definitely do something later on in the week... SDN barnight! (but regular people included)

PS - Sorry. I couldn't think up conspicuous hand signals that wouldn't be misinterpreted as a question for the speaker. Maybe tomorrow...

Yeah, but look to your left and look to your right. Neither of them will be there later anyways, so who cares if they find out early that you're a sociopath?

Yeah, but look to your left and look to your right. Neither of them will be there later anyways, so who cares if they find out early that you're a sociopath?

True enough. As time goes on my resolve is definitely going to falter. I think there definitely be some inappropriate flatulence noises made during any subsequent CPR videos.

On a side note, I was identified in real life today - though not by anyone who was actually searching me out. Still counts. All the rest of you lurkers should also get on the facebook group though. I'm using it as meeting new people flaschcards, and it's easier if they're all in one place (as with real flashcards).

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32636289698

I really wonder who you are! But there are soooooo many people i doubt we will ever know everyone completely tho.
Everyone keeps saying it goes by really fast. I hope it does, four years looks like a long long time away! On a lighter note, I get to go to the zoo tommorow and since i have never been to one i am quite excited! I have never been to a baseball game either (or even watched one b4) so tomorrow is a day of firsts! I'll see how it goes :)

True enough. As time goes on my resolve is definitely going to falter. I think there definitely be some inappropriate flatulence noises made during any subsequent CPR videos.

On a side note, I was identified in real life today - though not by anyone who was actually searching me out. Still counts. All the rest of you lurkers should also get on the facebook group though. I'm using it as meeting new people flaschcards, and it's easier if they're all in one place (as with real flashcards).

I really wonder who you are! But there are soooooo many people i doubt we will ever know everyone completely tho.
I know almost everyone's name in my class. Just a couple exceptions that I always forget.

Yay orientation... *sigh*

Hey, next week, the # of forms we have to fill out goes down, right? :p Maybe they're just preparing us for a lifetime of paperwork as doctors right now? ;)

Were you wearing, by any chance, a silver/gray dress shirt with black slacks yesterday?

Signed the loans forms. Goodbye financial freedom, hello debt that will control my life :thumbdown:.

I think the worst part of that process was actually writing out how much in loans I was taking. As if it wasn't bad enough to be in debt, we have to write out exactly how much debt we are taking on :(. Oh well.

Were you wearing, by any chance, a silver/gray dress shirt with black slacks yesterday?

I was not. Khakis Mon/Tues, then jeans Wednesday. I changed into shorts today though - that sun is mean - it's not worth it. 19 questions left...

Maybe I'll cut some 'breeze flaps' in my white coat. They're accepting of those kinds of modifications, right?

Or maybe a flame-stripe on the side so I walk faster...

Last edited:
I was not. Khakis Mon/Tues, then jeans Wednesday. I changed into shorts today though - that sun is mean - it's not worth it. 19 questions left...

Maybe I'll cut some 'breeze flaps' in my white coat. They're accepting of those kinds of modifications, right?

Or maybe a flame-stripe on the side so I walk faster...

Since I seem to have 19 more, were you at the Chancery after the Brewers game Wednesday night?

If the answer is no, then it's back to square one.

Since I seem to have 19 more, were you at the Chancery after the Brewers game Wednesday night?

If the answer is no, then it's back to square one.

Also no, I was at the Brewer game though; 18. But take heart, a second person found me in real life today. There are a lot of secret readers on SDN, apparently. It might be easiest to ask people if they know 'Doctor Thunder', makes it less awkward if you're wrong. (I'd cover it with, "No? Oh, he interviewed me, I thought maybe you interviewed with him as well" :))

On another note, did anyone find the "white coat ceremony prep" segment a little bit ridiculous? Not only has it 'turned into a zoo', but apparently it has 'turned into a zoo every year'? And, lady, if I could keep my parents from doing crazy things, I'd be using that skill ALL the time.

On another note, did anyone find the "white coat ceremony prep" segment a little bit ridiculous? Not only has it 'turned into a zoo', but apparently it has 'turned into a zoo every year'? And, lady, if I could keep my parents from doing crazy things, I'd be using that skill ALL the time.

Agreed on all points.

Is it too late to coordinate a beach ball toss at some point in the ceremony? Those usually go over well with administration. I'll set up a stand outside the front doors. I suppose silly string and air horns will be frowned upon, but everyone likes a good old fashioned beach ball party.

I hope the beach ball toss, I mean white coat ceremony, went well. By the way, I do recommend getting the second white coat you get to order this fall. You won't need it so much the first two years (though you can keep one in your locker in case you need it one day at school and forget it), but there are times in 3rd year when my coat got not so very clean and I REALLY didn't want to stay up to wash it. A second coat is handy.

Also no, I was at the Brewer game though; 18. But take heart, a second person found me in real life today. There are a lot of secret readers on SDN, apparently. It might be easiest to ask people if they know 'Doctor Thunder', makes it less awkward if you're wrong. (I'd cover it with, "No? Oh, he interviewed me, I thought maybe you interviewed with him as well" :))

Ok, I was totally thinking of a different person.

BUT, turns out I probably know who you are now (if my sources are correct).

And yea, totally agree with you on the white coat ceremony stuff. Zoo? What zoo?

'turned into a zoo every year'? And, lady, if I could keep my parents from doing crazy things, I'd be using that skill ALL the time.

It was disappointingly civil. I am mad at all of you and your families

It was disappointingly civil. I am mad at all of you and your families

I agree. But by the 10th group or so I started thinking of ridiculous things that could happen, which seemed very funny at the time because I was bored:

• Putting the name of an unknown R&B artist or punk band on an index card and handing it in, such as 'Glorious B' or 'Deft Windmill'.
  • Sneaking in early with white thread and sewing up a bunch of coat's left arms just above the elbow. All you could do would be to keep jamming your arm back harder once you got to the stage.
  • If someone were to thrust their arms back and hit a 'coater' in the crotch on accident -or-
  • Same thing, but on purpose - followed up with a 'come hither handshake'.

I agree. But by the 10th group or so I started thinking of ridiculous things that could happen, which seemed very funny at the time because I was bored:

• Putting the name of an unknown R&B artist or punk band on an index card and handing it in, such as 'Glorious B' or 'Deft Windmill'.
  • Sneaking in early with white thread and sewing up a bunch of coat's left arms just above the elbow. All you could do would be to keep jamming your arm back harder once you got to the stage.
  • If someone were to thrust their arms back and hit a 'coater' in the crotch on accident -or-
  • Same thing, but on purpose - followed up with a 'come hither handshake'.
What I love is that 2 people didn't even have their names read. Oops?

Happy first day of med school! Did all y'all take pictures outside the front door with your brand spankin' new back packs? Good luck! :D
haha, my mom used to do that.

I finally got her to stop for M3.

I didn't notice any picture taking going on. How soon do we need stethoscopes? They had a sale yesterday and i didn't get one. I was thinking of getting one during the M2 sale. Should i just wait or do i need one ASAP?

I didn't notice any picture taking going on. How soon do we need stethoscopes? They had a sale yesterday and i didn't get one. I was thinking of getting one during the M2 sale. Should i just wait or do i need one ASAP?
You'll definitely need one by M2. I think it's a bit of a scam to sucker everyone into buying a Cardiology III, unless you plan on being a cardiologist. If you think you're going into something like ob/gyn (or anything that isn't internal medicine or cardiology), you'll probably never need that good of a scope.

I got suckered into buying a BP cuff, and a lot of people bought otoscopes and ophthalmoscopes. Oops.

You can also buy textbooks cheaper online ;) I just got an e-mail saying that the pharm review book I have listed on Half.com just sold - I've had it on there for at least a year, but eventually, almost everything sells.

Thanks guys. One more question, we start anatomy lab tomorrow and i had planned on wearing old clothes but i keep hearing about scrubs and lab coats. Is it mandatory to wear those or can we wear whatever?

Thanks guys. One more question, we start anatomy lab tomorrow and i had planned on wearing old clothes but i keep hearing about scrubs and lab coats. Is it mandatory to wear those or can we wear whatever?

You can wear whatever, but be prepared to throw it out at the end of the semester, unless you wash it every day or 2.