Medical College of Wisconsin class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't worry too much, it's literally a "print name here, sign name here" deal, and I'm sure that if you need to do it later, you'll be able to get it taken care of on the spot.

Your list looks pretty solid to me, Medking. I keep getting this nagging feeling like there's something else I'm forgetting, but if it was important, I probably wouldn't have forgotten about it...

Just call and ask, to be sure. It won't hurt. Quite a few of my papers ended up misfiled (under my former married name, which was on some of my transcripts) and it took quite a while to figure it out and straighten out the mess.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's literally a "print name here, sign name here" deal, and I'm sure that if you need to do it later, you'll be able to get it taken care of on the spot.

Your list looks pretty solid to me, Medking. I keep getting this nagging feeling like there's something else I'm forgetting, but if it was important, I probably wouldn't have forgotten about it...

Credit Report, if you haven't already done so ....?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Agent Splat.

I lived there M1 and M2 years. It's nice. I would have probably stayed there all four years if I could. It is pricey (not the worst though) and not the most financially feasible to live there alone without extra help with money, but it's a quiet little nook that's not too far (but you'll have to drive every day unless you're a crazystyle bicycler). The pool is nice to have and they're pretty fast about maintenance stuff. Naturally the units aren't as spacious and beautiful as the photos online imply. but mine was goodsized for just me. The uppers are nice with a big balcony. Pool is nice, especially if you have a view of it during the summer and are a bit of a people watcher (or a pervert, I guess). Workout facility is minimal but also nice.

I think that's about it...If you have other questions let me know.

Hey guys, I just got the call. Accepted from the waitlist, so I'll be joining you guys as the class of 2013. Good stufffff

Hey guys, I just got the call. Accepted from the waitlist, so I'll be joining you guys as the class of 2013. Good stufffff

Nice work! Waitlist acceptances have been an extremely rare thing to come by in the past couple years.

I'm in today, too. They told me on May 11 that I was in the 2nd quartile.

It's raining acceptances in 'Tosa!

Congratulations drugfacts & Brad!

:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I'll be joining you as well. I interviewed in March for a waitlist postition and got accepted on the 20th.

See you later this year :)

Congratulations! Join the facebook group when you get a chance.

For the current med students, I wanted to know what residency directors think of MCW's students and education. What is MCW's reputation in regards to applying to residency (especially competitive ones - anesthesiology)? Is MCW strong in any particular area of medicine?

not a current student, but an incoming one. Looks like a ton of people match anesthesia this year and hardly any into FM. However, these list vary heavily year to year.

http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/User/pconfer/medschool/match2009.pdf

counted 66 people matching into ROAD, rad-onc, urology, plastics, neurosurg, ortho, otolaryngology

56 MCW
11 state of california
6 mayo
6 northwestern
6 uw-madison
4 uwash
3 harvard aff.
3 duke
2 hopkins
2 washu
1 NY Prebyterian
1 UMich
2 UPMC
1 yale
0 uchicago/upenn/cleveland clinic

42 total

as expected, a majority of people do residency at MCW

For the current med students, I wanted to know what residency directors think of MCW's students and education. What is MCW's reputation in regards to applying to residency (especially competitive ones - anesthesiology)? Is MCW strong in any particular area of medicine?
Anesthesia isn't like the really competitive specialties, but no fear here, MCW sent a ton of people into anesthesia this year (including akpete, Gimlet and Ashers). It has a good reputation regionally, and a reasonable reputation nationwide.

Anesthesia isn't like the really competitive specialties, but no fear here, MCW sent a ton of people into anesthesia this year (including akpete, Gimlet and Ashers). It has a good reputation regionally, and a reasonable reputation nationwide.

yea 24 matched in anesthesiology, out of 202 people total, that's over 10%.

Of those 24 people, they include 1 at mayo, 1 at washu, 1 at hopkins, 1 at duke, 1 at harvard b&w, and 1 at harvard BID

housing on Bluemound1

Last edited:
yea 24 matched in anesthesiology, out of 202 people total, that's over 10%.

Of those 24 people, they include 1 at mayo, 1 at washu, 1 at hopkins, 1 at duke, 1 at harvard b&w, and 1 at harvard BID

Actually, when I got into MCW it was all these anesthesiologists all over the West Coast and Hawai'i who knew about MCW. They were all like MCW, that's a great school, they've got great anesthesia research coming from there.

Buon giorno! From the Mediterranean! Yassou! I'll be in Santorini day after tomorrow. I love wireless internet.

Ciao.

Too bad I speak neither Greek nor Italian nor Turkish. The 3 languages I speak are not helping me on this trip in native places.

Actually, when I got into MCW it was all these anesthesiologists all over the West Coast and Hawai'i who knew about MCW. They were all like MCW, that's a great school, they've got great anesthesia research coming from there.

Buon giorno! From the Mediterranean! Yassou! I'll be in Santorini day after tomorrow. I love wireless internet.

Ciao.

Too bad I speak neither Greek nor Italian nor Turkish. The 3 languages I speak are not helping me on this trip in native places.

nice. English, Hawaiian, and Spanish?

nice. English, Hawaiian, and Spanish?

She actually doesn't speak English. She has a translator with her at all times. Her languages are German, Gaelic, and early 12th century Chinese dialects.

She actually doesn't speak English. She has a translator with her at all times. Her languages are German, Gaelic, and early 12th century Chinese dialects.

Aye Scottish and Irish Gaelic, correct you are.

And really... who speaks Hawaiian. Ok, I speak 4 languages if you count Hawaiian pidgin, which is not Hawaiian.

I've had formal training in English, Spanish, and German.

I recently got in, and I just registered for this site today. I'm stoked to be coming 3/4 of the way across the country to go to school, but I need a place to live. Is anybody looking for a roommate, or does anyone have any info that would be helpful in finding a place on 2 months notice without traveling to milwaukee. hit me back.

And I just joined the facebook page.

Hey all,

Finally looked this thread up, spent the last hour reading...

Lots of good info here! Definitely look forward to life as a member of MCW's class of 2013 :)

Last edited:
Welcome!

Guy, check out the MCW 2013 facebook group. I saw a couple people had started a roommate questionnaire there. I'm going to be looking at apartments this month (though I'm in the Milwaukee area, so it's not too difficult), and my guess is that others will be too, so I'm sure you'll be able to find someplace vicariously through someone.

The school will also send out a roommate listing in June. You sign up and contact info goes out to everyone on the list. Copies of the form you fill out are only kept in the admin office, which is a pain in the butt protection of your privacy, so last year people duplicated the form on Facebook.

I was just looking at another thread which was discussing the estimated cost of living for UMich which is somewhere near $22K/year, and then looked at the estimated cost of living for MCW which is about $13K/year, and it just got me wondering.....

To current MCW students: I understand living in Wisconsin is fairly cheaper compared to other parts of the nation and maybe living in Ann Arbor is more expensive than I imagine, but $9K/year difference seems kind of big to me.

Has ~$13K a year for living expenses been enough for most of you?

I was just looking at another thread which was discussing the estimated cost of living for UMich which is somewhere near $22K/year, and then looked at the estimated cost of living for MCW which is about $13K/year, and it just got me wondering.....

To current MCW students: I understand living in Wisconsin is fairly cheaper compared to other parts of the nation and maybe living in Ann Arbor is more expensive than I imagine, but $9K/year difference seems kind of big to me.

Has ~$13K a year for living expenses been enough for most of you?

No.
The end.

I recently got in, and I just registered for this site today. I'm stoked to be coming 3/4 of the way across the country to go to school, but I need a place to live. Is anybody looking for a roommate, or does anyone have any info that would be helpful in finding a place on 2 months notice without traveling to milwaukee. hit me back.

And I just joined the facebook page.

Yea I am sooo homeless for fall also but not too worried. Seems like theres a ton of options! I am personally going for one (with one or two people) thats not quite dingy but on the cheaper end (for me ~350-400). Hard wood floors and vaulted ceilings can wait until further notice ;)

Yea I am sooo homeless for fall also but not too worried. Seems like theres a ton of options! I am personally going for one (with one or two people) thats not quite dingy but on the cheaper end (for me ~350-400). Hard wood floors and vaulted ceilings can wait until further notice ;)

Same here. BTW, a LOT of the places I looked at, even cheap places, have hardwood floors.

Same here. BTW, a LOT of the places I looked at, even cheap places, have hardwood floors.

Even cheaper places? Hardwood floors? Dude lets start PM-ing. I am leaving the country until school starts very soon so I need to find a place in june ASAP. Thanks in advance :)

Even cheaper places? Hardwood floors? Dude lets start PM-ing. I am leaving the country until school starts very soon so I need to find a place in june ASAP. Thanks in advance :)
Hardwood floors are extremely common in Milwaukee. You've got to remember that a lot of these houses pre-date wall-to-wall carpeting. A lot of houses with carpet actually still have hardwood floors underneath.

Not to mention lead paint.

We're going to change your user name to Little Agent Sunshine, okay?

Seriously if you don't eat out much, cook frugally, bring your lunch, make your own coffee, and your car is paid for and reliable, it's not impossible to live on the living allowance IF you have a roommate.

We're going to change your user name to Little Agent Sunshine, okay?

Seriously if you don't eat out much, cook frugally, bring your lunch, make your own coffee, and your car is paid for and reliable, it's not impossible to live on the living allowance IF you have a roommate.

They should put that in the brochure.

MCW - Not impossible to live with.

A few questions!
1. Would I find housing that is within walking distance to school on Watertown Plank Road or Wisconsin Ave? Both?
2. Where would I find a grocery store that is within walking distance also? Is a car absolutely needed?
3. Do most of you live with a roommate or by yourself?

A few questions!
1. Would I find housing that is within walking distance to school on Watertown Plank Road or Wisconsin Ave? Both?
2. Where would I find a grocery store that is within walking distance also? Is a car absolutely needed?
3. Do most of you live with a roommate or by yourself?
1. some on Wisconsin, more of it on Glenview.
2. several are close by - Glenview and Bluemound, 75th and State...
3. live with my wife, but some people live alone, some have roommates. I wouldn't say most people went one way or the other.

Question about computers...I know everyone is different and that its a personal preference blah blah blah. But I just want to hear what people think about Mac vs. PC, laptop vs. desktop, etc. in Med School?

PC = more bang for your buck
desktop = more bang for your buck

But a lot of people study with laptops in the library, so you'll just have to decide if that's what you want to do. It didn't work for me. I just read. I also think Apple is way overpriced, and the last thing you need is more debt.

PC = more bang for your buck
desktop = more bang for your buck

But a lot of people study with laptops in the library, so you'll just have to decide if that's what you want to do. It didn't work for me. I just read. I also think Apple is way overpriced, and the last thing you need is more debt.

Any recommendations for particular pc laptops?

I'm thinking either 13" or 14".

What bank is used by medical student? Does MCW have ATM on campus?

What bank is used by medical student? Does MCW have ATM on campus?

THere is a no-fee ATM in the lobby on campus. People use M&I or ... whatever the bank is that has a branch in the basement of Children's Hospital. I forget. Both are fine.

Oh, and banks visited campus during orientation week and offered deals (like $50 if you open an account with our bank), so you might want to wait to move your money after you get here.