MCW Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I disliked Krippy during anatomy because of block 2.

I liked her more during neuro because her lectures made sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hardest lecture ever

but probably the most pertinent to every specialty there is. a rare, incredibly important lecture. i advise the class of 2012 to really focus on this one. really. really really.

I talked to my neighbor who is a second year, and she said she is still confused about that lecture. Block 2 is really starting to feel like real med school. I love how they eased us into med school with nice short and simple block 1. I had a feeling they would take off at break neck speed as soon as block 2 started. :eek:

I talked to my neighbor who is a second year, and she said she is still confused about that lecture. Block 2 is really starting to feel like real med school. I love how they eased us into med school with nice short and simple block 1. I had a feeling they would take off at break neck speed as soon as block 2 started. :eek:

That's the truth.

badasshairday, I've been wondering this for a while now, but I don't think I've asked it yet: How is your screenname supposed to be broken down: badass-hair-day or bad-asshair-day? Knowing the answer to this will really put my mind at ease...

That's the truth.

badasshairday, I've been wondering this for a while now, but I don't think I've asked it yet: How is your screenname supposed to be broken down: badass-hair-day or bad-asshair-day? Knowing the answer to this will really put my mind at ease...

This will be my new excuse if someone creepy asks me out! "I'm sorry, but I have to stay home and braid my asshair."

Block 2 of M1 was probably the hardest thing in all of med school for a number of reasons. First rotation of M3 close second.

Whoa, post #333. That's half of the beast. Spooky.
And #2008 in this thread. Very spooky.

Block 2 of M1 was probably the hardest thing in all of med school for a number of reasons. First rotation of M3 close second.

Whoa, post #333. That's half of the beast. Spooky.
And #2008 in this thread. Very spooky.

I thought all block 2s were some of the harder blocks of each semester.

Does that mean the end of the world will be in 4016?

Dr. Poulos would be so proud of you for catching that...

Dr. Poulos is easily the most likely to appreciate such a thing of any attending I have ever had. He certainly appreciated my "if you were to discreetly take any piece of a person home to eat, which piece would it be?" question during my forensics rotation. I don't think there was another day all month without him bringing it up.

What can I say, I was hungry for a good steak.

Dr. Poulos is easily the most likely to appreciate such a thing of any attending I have ever had. He certainly appreciated my "if you were to discreetly take any piece of a person home to eat, which piece would it be?" question during my forensics rotation. I don't think there was another day all month without him bringing it up.

His answer, by the way, was psoas major. Filet mignon.

His answer, by the way, was psoas major. Filet mignon.

Wow, I honestly just found this while googling "filet mignon" and "psoas."

PSOAS ABSCESS FOLLOWING INGESTION OF PSOAS

Brett D. Archer, Ian A. Campbell

ABSTRACT
A case of right psoas abscess that was caused by duodenal perforation following the ingestion of a wooden skewer from a filet mignon is presented. Surgical repair of the perforation, drainage of the abscess and 5 days of intravenous antibiotics resulted in prompt recovery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooo, when you guys were M1's who lectured for the pterygopalatine fossa? Krip said it was her first time lecturing it, and she said that when her husband winced when she said she was going to do the pterygopalatine fossa lecture. She also added that her neice, a recent grad from MCW, said that she too is confused about it. Then I remembered how all of you guys said it would be crazy.

Anyways, Krippendorf told us that she would try to make sure we understood it because if she can understand it, so can we. I went into it with expectations that I would be completely confused. My strategy was not to take notes, but to pay as much attention as possible to understand a little bit.

At the end of it, the lecture ended up not so bad. I mean some of the spacial stuff will take time to get used to, but I still got a lot of it. Even many of my other classmates agreed. I guess Krippendorf is just that good and you guys just got bamboozled with a lecturer that confused you!

Sooooo, when you guys were M1's who lectured for the pterygopalatine fossa? Krip said it was her first time lecturing it, and she said that when her husband winced when she said she was going to do the pterygopalatine fossa lecture. She also added that her neice, a recent grad from MCW, said that she too is confused about it. Then I remembered how all of you guys said it would be crazy.

Anyways, Krippendorf told us that she would try to make sure we understood it because if she can understand it, so can we. I went into it with expectations that I would be completely confused. My strategy was not to take notes, but to pay as much attention as possible to understand a little bit.

At the end of it, the lecture ended up not so bad. I mean some of the spacial stuff will take time to get used to, but I still got a lot of it. Even many of my other classmates agreed. I guess Krippendorf is just that good and you guys just got bamboozled with a lecturer that confused you!

I could almost swear it was Krippendorf for the c/o 2009...I can't think of who else it would have been - I know Kolesari or Bolender didn't do it.

Still waiting on an answer to my question above, BAHD. :)

Nice! I don't know if they were into this phrase when you were there, but yesterday Stephanie made good on her constant threat of delivering a "pride-obliterating bitchslap" to Dr. Poulos. He was mouthing off to her, so she grabbed his facemask, pulled it away from his face, and let it fly back at him. He didn't know how to react for a second, then practically started ROFLing.

Could you imagine any other attending in medicine letting someone get away with that?

Last edited:
I could almost swear it was Krippendorf for the c/o 2009...I can't think of who else it would have been - I know Kolesari or Bolender didn't do it.

Still waiting on an answer to my question above, BAHD. :)

I would've sworn Krippy too, but after looking at my anatomy binder, I learned it was Gregory Rajala (pronounced [Ra-la] -- because, yes, I wrote that down too) on 20 Sept 2005.

The notes are all pictures with a few Kolesari like bullet points and the weird open pyramid on the front.

I would've sworn Krippy too, but after looking at my anatomy binder, I learned it was Gregory Rajala (pronounced [Ra-la] -- because, yes, I wrote that down too) on 20 Sept 2005.

The notes are all pictures with a few Kolesari like bullet points and the weird open pyramid on the front.

Yep, you guys got bamboozled.

So anyways, it is the end of September and I thought it would be getting cold by now, but it has been nice. I came to Milwaukee expecting the weather to be horrible, but it has been pretty damn nice since the time I came here back in early August. I was expecting a lot more rain.

So anyways, it is the end of September and I thought it would be getting cold by now, but it has been nice. I came to Milwaukee expecting the weather to be horrible, but it has been pretty damn nice since the time I came here back in early August. I was expecting a lot more rain.

Well, August was obscenely dry for Wisconsin, but in general I don't think of us as a rainy state by any means. Snowy, yes. Rainy, not so much.

This early to mid fall weather is my favorite of the whole year...nice crisp, cool mornings followed by warm but not hot days. Perfect!

Yeah, he was a professor at Marquette or something. Just gave one lecture.

Just got back from devo tutoring session. It kicks ass. I think this is the last year that scott is doing it. So far the class of 2012 has lucked out in terms of the pterygopalantine fossa lecture and having scott still. Plus the weather has been very pleasant. Hopefully we luck out for this winter and don't get a brutal winter like you guys had to experience last year.

Just got back from devo tutoring session. It kicks ass. I think this is the last year that scott is doing it. So far the class of 2012 has lucked out in terms of the pterygopalantine fossa lecture and having scott still. Plus the weather has been very pleasant. Hopefully we luck out for this winter and don't get a brutal winter like you guys had to experience last year.

hopefully this doesn't mean you'll all pay for the luck by getting wiped out by a horrible plague just before graduating, too.

hopefully this doesn't mean you'll all pay for the luck by getting wiped out by a horrible plague just before graduating, too.

ah, yes. But it would be okay, because we would die a happy man/women because we were not confused as hell about the pterrygopalantine fossa. :thumbup:

ah, yes. But it would be okay, because we would die a happy man/women because we were not confused as hell about the pterrygopalantine fossa. :thumbup:

there is that. in addition our loans would be forgiven and some lucky beneficiary is gonna get 50,000 big ones

The weather scuttlebutt I've heard so far is this winter's going to be longer and snowier than last year.

I enjoyed the fact that I hadn't thought of the pterygopalantine fossa until it was brought up on here since anatomy. No reason for me to have known it in the last 3 years of med school.

I enjoyed the fact that I hadn't thought of the pterygopalantine fossa until it was brought up on here since anatomy. No reason for me to have known it in the last 3 years of med school.

Word. And I even did an ENT rotation.

Tomorrow the class schedule states that 11am-1pm is INTEGRATED GRAND ROUNDS in Kerrigan. Wtf is that?

free lunch with oreo brownies i don't like, but i think Splat does.

Besides the free lunch, how worthwhile is it to go to? I'm thinking it would be a better use of my time to study during that 3 hour block to free up more time of chilling out on friday night.

Besides the free lunch, how worthwhile is it to go to? I'm thinking it would be a better use of my time to study during that 3 hour block to free up more time of chilling out on friday night.

That is how I see it. However, I felt that way about every class.

Quick question. For devo, are those clinical correlate guest lectures testable material? We don't have any notes for it in our packet of notes. Is it worth it for me to listen the those lectures, or would it be a better use of time to study Bolender's lectures exclusively?

Quick question. For devo, are those clinical correlate guest lectures testable material? We don't have any notes for it in our packet of notes. Is it worth it for me to listen the those lectures, or would it be a better use of time to study Bolender's lectures exclusively?

No clue, sorry. The gunners in your class have probably already directly asked Bolender this question...see if you can find out from them.

No clue, sorry. The gunners in your class have probably already directly asked Bolender this question...see if you can find out from them.

aw. I would ask, but i never go to class... except for anatomy lecture and McBride once in a while because he shows us how to have a good time. I guess I'll just listen to those clinical lectures at 2x speed.

aw. I would ask, but i never go to class... except for anatomy lecture and McBride once in a while because he shows us how to have a good time. I guess I'll just listen to those clinical lectures at 2x speed.

Prob. a good idea. The clinical stuff really helps solidify some of the basic science concepts when you learn them, anyway.

Wow, I finally have experienced Gunnerism. Just wow.... I mean I knew about gunners, but wow. Seeing gunners in action is like...

Wow, I finally have experienced Gunnerism. Just wow.... I mean I knew about gunners, but wow. Seeing gunners in action is like...

This thread is useless without pictures.

(Or at least an entertaining story)

Gunner's don't use SDN right?

Ok, so this gunner is in my small group dicussions for biochem, and you know how they evaluate us and put some comment in our personal records or some crap? Anyways, it started out okay, everyone was participating, but then this chick just totally starts taking control of the whole discussion. Then she brings up some obscure physiology mechanism that none of us in the room know about (and is unrelated to the topic of the day which was sickle cell disease) except for the endocrinologist who is our discussion moderator. I was like, wtf? Couldn't she just wait until after the discussion to talk about her obscure topic? It totally seemed like she just wanted to do more talking then everyone else and show off that she knew some random stuff.

Then just the other day there was an Anesthesiology Interest Group meeting. The program director was giving us a talk about anesthesiology, what it is like, how to get into programs, what residency is like, ect... You know how at the end of the talk, people usually go down and ask questions. So I go down there and a several other people do to, including this gunner. It is the gunners turn to ask a question, and the first thing she does is, "Hi my name is Blah." I was like wtf? Are you here to ask a question or get your name out to the program director? You are just a freakin M1. Anyways, she finishes her question and he answers. Then some other dude asks a question that I was going to ask, I get the answer and start leaving. Before I could leave the lecture hall I end up chatting with one of my classmates for a significant amount of time while everyone clears out. Finally, I'm about to leave and as I look down, I see the gunner with the PD like a fly on shi t, talking to him and following him up the stairs. I was like wow....!

Apparently everyone knows this chick is a gunner, because I brought it up with my lab group and my roommate and they all had some experience with her gunnerism. My roommate told me how in anatomy lab one of the doctors came around to his cadaver to talk to his group about anatomy stuff. The gunner comes from some other table and totally takes control. The doctor is asking some questions to everyone collectively and she asnwers all of them before anyone even has a chance and she also starts completing the doctor's sentences. Some real Gunner shi t right there. :thumbdown:

Apparently everyone knows this chick is a gunner, because I brought it up with my lab group and my roommate and they all had some experience with her gunnerism. My roommate told me how in anatomy lab one of the doctors came around to his cadaver to talk to his group about anatomy stuff. The gunner comes from some other table and totally takes control. The doctor is asking some questions to everyone collectively and she asnwers all of them before anyone even has a chance and starts completing the doctor's sentences. Some real Gunner **** right there. :thumbdown:

You realize of course that if this kind of behavior is so blatantly sycophantic and gunnering to someone who has never really seen gunnering in action before, it must be all the more evident to these faculty who have seen it a hundred times. At least I would like to think so.

I disliked Krippy during anatomy because of block 2.

I liked her more during neuro because her lectures made sense.

While we're on gunning, I can say give my response to this one too. Now I've never been a point-grubbing type when it came to tests, but when I came up literally one test question short of honoring CTB I went and discussed at least three potentially ambiguous questions on the final test, but ol' Krippy would not give me the benefit of the doubt. I had liked her ok before that but of course this left a bad taste in my mouth.

While we're on gunning, I can say give my response to this one too. Now I've never been a point-grubbing type when it came to tests, but when I came up literally one test question short of honoring CTB I went and discussed at least three potentially ambiguous questions on the final test, but ol' Krippy would not give me the benefit of the doubt. I had liked her ok before that but of course this left a bad taste in my mouth.

Ouch.

My other lab mate told me how she was waiting to ask the professor a question after class, and the gunner came behind her and asked her if she can ask her quick question first. My lab mate thinks it is fine since it is a "quick" questsion. Then the gunner procedes to ask questions and discuss for 10 minutes with the professor.

I hate gunners. My roommate I had last year was a gunner who studied all the time and complained that she got in the 90s on her tests. She also would answer every question a prof asked to the whole group very loudly before any has a chance to raise their hand. This year I moved to my own place... so much better. And now she ended up in my path TBL group. If she has the iclicker she answers for the group before we even had discussed the answer tomorrow.

Do you think gunners are aware that they are gunners? And do they know it annoys people? Or are they too self absorbed and worried about being better than everyone else to even think about that?

Do you think gunners are aware that they are gunners? And do they know it annoys people? Or are they too self absorbed and worried about being better than everyone else to even think about that?

Yes. Yes. They're self-absorbed, but they tend to know what they're doing; some can play dumb (at least that's what I'll do when Funk finds out what his residents think of him on ortho).

No, actually, Funk, I told the residents who'll be on peds ortho that you're a hard worker and über-smart. Two of the residents were on my team last month.

ive also heard that a gunner complained that trapane's gimme questions for genetics were, "an insult to our intelligence"