MCW Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First day of school tomorrow...exciting, but at the same time, ugh:scared:
so it's weird going on here (for the first time in MONTHS) and knowing who some of you posters are now! i'm sure my non-sdn identity is pretty obvious, too :D

Good luck starting, M1s.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep first day tomorrow. Question. Do I need to read Moore and Dalley, or can I get by on just my Netter and eventually buy Rohan's? And for genetics what text do you guys recommend, if any? Thanks guys.

Yep first day tomorrow. Question. Do I need to read Moore and Dalley, or can I get by on just my Netter and eventually buy Rohan's? And for genetics what text do you guys recommend, if any? Thanks guys.

I heard you need to read the blue boxes. People told me that they took questions directly from there. I didn't and I missed honors by only a little.

Back in my day, they didn't have genetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just buy Netter. Moore was only useful on a few occasions, and you can get it on reserve in the library.

I didn't use any text for the genetics class and ended up honoring. The notes are really good. I did occasionally look at lippincotts but didn't feel that I needed it for biochemistry. If you are going to get it for biochemistry then you can read the couple genetic chapters in there. Otherwise you don't need anything.

Just buy Netter. Moore was only useful on a few occasions, and you can get it on reserve in the library.

I already have a dirty Netter. When I was assigned my locker, I was presently surprised by a note that read, "A gift for you, a dirty Netter. Sincerely, Dr. Kripendorf's neice."

So, since I can use it for studying during lab in class times and for my own study time in lab, I have no text at home. Should I grab Rohen's, or at least check it out at the library to study? I checked out Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple from the Academic Affairs Office for some basics (although hoping to get Rohen's but there were no more left). Is that good enough for home study? I don't see myself going to the library very often to study, nor do I see myself at school often besides class time and occasional trips to anatomy lab to study out of scheduled class time.

Also, do any of you guys have a dissection kit that you would like to get rid of? I'll be extremely appreciative of a gift from my upperclassmen if you guys are in Milwaukee right now.

Well the whole thing about not selling alcohol after 9pm is a bummer, but they seem to balance it out with a s hitload of bars that have awesome drink specials (eg. 4$ pitchers!). The only place I have eaten out at so far is Jimmy Johns and that was around 8pm or so... the dining area was open there. The Pick N Save near my place on Glenview ave is open until 12am, not 24-hr but definitely more than sufficient in my opinion.

My roommate and I keep getting lost around this city. On the way to Water Street we some how ended up in the hood off of North Ave. Was that KFC in the hood? If so, maybe that is why they closed early?

You my friend are close-minded!

Dr. Krippendorf's niece is a radiology resident (transitional intern, really) at MCW. I wonder how it ended up in that locker, given that it's been a billion years since we were M-1s.

Also, hi.

Dr. Krippendorf's niece is a radiology resident (transitional intern, really) at MCW. I wonder how it ended up in that locker, given that it's been a billion years since we were M-1s.

Also, hi.

The world is a small place. That she has a niece who attended MCW is a surprise to me. She must be a big shot at the school.

How soon do we need the stethoscopes? Are the bp cuffs necessary to buy? First anatomy lab tomorrow... exciting!

How soon do we need the stethoscopes? Are the bp cuffs necessary to buy? First anatomy lab tomorrow... exciting!

I would get a stethoscope fairly soon since you will need one for learning how to take BPs.

You don't need to buy a BP cuff. I bought one just for playing around with at home, but have never needed to use it in a clinical setting. Then somehow the needle on the pressure dial got all screwed up so it's pretty much useless now. :(

Members don't see this ad :)

Do not buy a bp cuff. Also do not buy an oto/ophthamloscope, even though they tell you it is required. There will always be one available to you in the clinics to use. I suppose if you really want your own it could be useful for looking in your own kids' ears, but not really worth the price just for that.

I heeded the advice not to buy an otoscope, but I succumbed to the pressure and bought a BP cuff. That was a waste.

Do not buy a bp cuff. Also do not buy an oto/ophthamloscope, even though they tell you it is required. There will always be one available to you in the clinics to use. I suppose if you really want your own it could be useful for looking in your own kids' ears, but not really worth the price just for that.

I had to use my own bp cuff at a free clinic. Not mcw's. Also had to provide my own otoscope on outpatient peds

I had to use my own bp cuff at a free clinic. Not mcw's. Also had to provide my own otoscope on outpatient peds

I also had to use my own oto/ophalmoscope on outpatient peds. But as long as you have a friend that buys, you're usually okay. I helped sell them, so I gotta deal.

didn't you get enough practice with BPs on the ambulance?
well, sure, I'd taken hundreds of BPs in the back of a loud rig, but I thought it'd be good to have a cuff. of course, that was before I realized that med students and doctors never take the vitals.

My dad's BP cuff sits at home. I think the last time he used it was to check my BP when I was about to faint.

Apparently, back in his day, med students at UCI had to do H&Ps/pre-ops including the vitals. The R1s aren't even allowed to do pre-ops or consent pts for surgery here.

...that was before I realized that med students and doctors never take the vitals.

You will occasionally take vitals yourself, like when the patient comes in with a crazy high bp and you want to see if it has come down after a while. Or if you are doing orthostatics.

Once on ambulatory medicine I had a young lady with no risk factors come in with a pretty high bp and when I rechecked in the other arm, sure enough there was a big difference. She ended up having a coarctation.

Originally Posted by Ashers
I had to use my own bp cuff at a free clinic. Not mcw's. Also had to provide my own otoscope on outpatient peds.

I did outpatient peds in the ER so it wasn't an issue.

Foo Fighters are playing at Harley stuff. I want to see them some time.

Blue Oyster Cult is also playing.

I'm on ortho call this Saturday, and I'm not even on a rotation.

I'm on ortho call this Saturday, and I'm not even on a rotation.

Whaaaa? That's unpossible!

Should be fun, though. The orthos will probably be running multiple ORs continously all weekend with all the motorcycle accidents. Thank god there's no call for Neurosurgery or I'd be screwed.

Should be fun, though. The orthos will probably be running multiple ORs continously all weekend with all the motorcycle accidents. Thank god there's no call for Neurosurgery or I'd be screwed.

One of my friends currently on the rotation is leaving for an away rotation on Sat, and he asked if I'd cover call for him before telling me it was Harley fest. I said sure, THEN he said it was harley fest, and I'd probably be there all night. At least I'll have Sunday/Monday to recover before starting for reals.

How was I supposed to know about Harley fest? I was out in CA.

Thank God EM residents no longer have to do a rotation with neurosurgery here. That must suck.

The neurosurgery intern I work with has q2 call because he does neurology call and neurosurgery call. That sucks. The poor guy must be running on fumes all the time.

On a side note, I don't think there will be much head trauma because the huge fleets of Harley riding accountants going down the freeways don't seem to be able to go above 43 mph.

The neurosurgery intern I work with has q2 call because he does neurology call and neurosurgery call. That sucks. The poor guy must be running on fumes all the time.

On a side note, I don't think there will be much head trauma because the huge fleets of Harley riding accountants going down the freeways don't seem to be able to go above 43 mph.

Ahh yes, Michah. He was getting his ass kicked earlier this month, but seems to be doing better now. (Our chief was riding him hard the first few calls for relatively minor slip ups.) It's total BS that the neurology team makes him stay and work the day after he's on Neurosurgery call.

Hey Gimlet, did you finish watching Psych? If so, did you like it?

I've watched most of the 1st season episodes, but have had so little time to watch TV lately that I haven't finished it yet. Definitely a good show! I will get you back your DVDs next time I know I'll see you. I'll be at the medical examiner's office next month, but I should be back at Froedtert periodically for meeings.

I've watched most of the 1st season episodes, but have had so little time to watch TV lately that I haven't finished it yet. Definitely a good show! I will get you back your DVDs next time I know I'll see you. I'll be at the medical examiner's office next month, but I should be back at Froedtert periodically for meeings.

No worries, whenever, I'll be on ortho, so I won't have much time to watch TV anyway.

And that neurosurg resident sounds like neurology's going against LCME hours requirements.

I can't wait for the annual Toyota Ride, where Toyota owners from all over the world drive to Japan and go to concerts and have parades and get tours and generally make chaos of the place. It's so exciting!!!

I can't wait for the annual Toyota Ride, where Toyota owners from all over the world drive to Japan and go to concerts and have parades and get tours and generally make chaos of the place. It's so exciting!!!

Can former Toyota owners go too? I loved my old '95 Corolla in high school. My family had it until 50,000 miles AFTER the driver's door fell off.

the Harleys are everywhere down here. I'm a few blocks off Brady, and Brady Street is motorcycle parking only. it's one giant outdoor bar with tens of thousands of people around.

Thank you.

I have a question about Clinical Continuum. I was planning on skipping McBride's lectures so I can just listen to them on audio (2x speed to save time), but unfortunately it seems like his lectures are not recorded.

What do I need to really know about that class? He seems so chill and the class seems like it is therapy for just being in medical school. Although he does talk about psychiatry here in there, his 2 hour lectures could be condensed into an 1hour of actual testable material. I missed the last two lectures since I didn't know they were not going to be recorded.

Also, what about those cultural lectures, like today I went to this one about Hmong culture and I missed the one about Muslim culture last week... Are these lectures really a big deal?

Thank you.

I have a question about Clinical Continuum. I was planning on skipping McBride's lectures so I can just listen to them on audio (2x speed to save time), but unfortunately it seems like his lectures are not recorded.

What do I need to really know about that class? He seems so chill and the class seems like it is therapy for just being in medical school. Although he does talk about psychiatry here in there, his 2 hour lectures could be condensed into an 1hour of actual testable material. I missed the last two lectures since I didn't know they were not going to be recorded.

Also, what about those cultural lectures, like today I went to this one about Hmong culture and I missed the one about Muslim culture last week... Are these lectures really a big deal?

Those two classes make up 97% of the Step 1 exam. Sounds like you've already assured yourself of a long career in PM&R.

Thank you.

As I recall, there was no test on all the cultural lectures.... so they were a waste of time. I think I went but used the time to study for something else.
As for McBride- his notes are mostly useless. Don't get me wrong- his lectures are really interesting, but taking notes or trying to follow along with the powerpoints was pointless. All you have to to is GO TO THE REVIEW POTLUCK. I cannot emphasize that enough. He will literally go over the final. He does make everyone bring food to share. It got pretty random for our class.

As I recall, there was no test on all the cultural lectures.... so they were a waste of time. I think I went but used the time to study for something else.
As for McBride- his notes are mostly useless. Don't get me wrong- his lectures are really interesting, but taking notes or trying to follow along with the powerpoints was pointless. All you have to to is GO TO THE REVIEW POTLUCK. I cannot emphasize that enough. He will literally go over the final. He does make everyone bring food to share. It got pretty random for our class.

Our class brought everything from potstickers to pot and cracked corn to crack cocaine. What a super potlock.

Evil potluck review. Evil psych. I hated that class.

Yeah, trust your big brothers and sisters, M1s. Psych isn't always a huge joke, especially if McBride forgets to bring the exam with him to the potluck review and just tries to wing as many questions as he can remember off the test (about 10).

That exam probably had one of the lowest class averages for our class that whole year.

Yeah, trust your big brothers and sisters, M1s. Psych isn't always a huge joke, especially if McBride forgets to bring the exam with him to the potluck review and just tries to wing as many questions as he can remember off the test (about 10).

That exam probably had one of the lowest class averages for our class that whole year.

I bet it wasn't as low as it was for the class of '07 when Dr. McBride was overseas and they didn't even have the potluck.

Just a little bit under a month. I only know because it showed up on the VA Web page while I was in PM&R.

Hey wise elders,

Anyone have a recommendation for a good coffee shop / store to study in?

I'm not a huge fan of the library or studying at home so I was wondering what some alternatives were.

Which Starbucks have tables and areas to sit and study? Is the Barnes and Nobles at Mayfair good to study?

Thanks!

Hey wise elders,

Anyone have a recommendation for a good coffee shop / store to study in?

I'm not a huge fan of the library or studying at home so I was wondering what some alternatives were.

Which Starbucks have tables and areas to sit and study? Is the Barnes and Nobles at Mayfair good to study?

Thanks!

If you need quiet I would not recommend the the BN at Mayfair, nor would I recommend either Starbucks in the area. But the BN usually has an okay number of tables available. The 24 hour Starbucks on Mayfair road north of bluemound is OK but often not enough space (and parking is horrible). I can't speak for the Starbucks in the Tosa village.

If you need quiet I would not recommend the the BN at Mayfair, nor would I recommend either Starbucks in the area. But the BN usually has an okay number of tables available. The 24 hour Starbucks on Mayfair road north of bluemound is OK but often not enough space (and parking is horrible). I can't speak for the Starbucks in the Tosa village.

Did they bring their table's back? I studied there for exams M1 year, and then M2 year, all the tables by the windows on the 2nd floor were gone.