Mcw Class Of 2011 Awesome Part 3!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nude? It doesn't get any more scantil than that.
I forgot, did they tell us in advance that we were all going to be as naked as the cadavers on the first day of anatomy lab to help us understand what our patients go through?

Members don't see this ad.

Despite the fact that I may be the only member of the class of 2011 that regularly reads this thread, I do appreciate the upperclassmen who post messages here to keep this thread on the first search page.

Anyway, this intimate meeting intrigues me. Suddenly my anxiety about starting class has dissipated. Please dress as scantily as possible.

Ok. You regularly read them. Now it's time to step up and regularly post in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ashers-

Could you tell me when the orientation tours are again? I want to help out, but the email when times was lost in the great hard drive crash of 2007.

Ashers-

Could you tell me when the orientation tours are again? I want to help out, but the email when times was lost in the great hard drive crash of 2007.

Check your email.

Unfortunately, the 2 days of tours are the day of my psych shelf and the first day of OB/gyn... don't think I'll be able to help. =(

Crud.

Based on the track record thus far, we'll still be rounding then.

Four-plus hours of rounds is just another reason why I don't want to do internal medicine.]

EDIT: That and the fact that I have to write notes that are >6 lines long.

Crud.

Based on the track record thus far, we'll still be rounding then.

Four-plus hours of rounds is just another reason why I don't want to do internal medicine.]

EDIT: That and the fact that I have to write notes that are >6 lines long.

That's how our rounds were on Friday with a specific neurologist (for like 6 patients). Today only took 2 hours for rounds.

I forgot, did they tell us in advance that we were all going to be as naked as the cadavers on the first day of anatomy lab to help us understand what our patients go through?

They didn't tell us that the onlyl sure-fire way to get Dr. Wagner or Dr. Bolender to walk by the lockers was to take off your pants either.

They didn't tell us that the onlyl sure-fire way to get Dr. Wagner or Dr. Bolender to walk by the lockers was to take off your pants either.
only if you've got jugs. you know, Katie did comment that every time she happened to be changing, Wagz would walk by.

So, as I'm looking at our fall schedule I am not seeing a lot of blank spaces. Please tell me that I don't have to attend all of that nonsense!

8:15a -10:00a Psych
Lect 5 Anxiety Disorders
Chan
HRC AUD
10:30a -12:00p Psych
Small Group Session #3
OFF SITE
1:00p -2:00p Medical Ethics &
Palliative Care- Confidentiality;
Ethical Issues in Psy; HIV &
Ethics; Neonatal & Ped. Ethics
HRC AUD
2:30p -4:00p Medical Ethics &
Palliative Care
Discussion Group
Confidentiality Cases
CMUTS M2580, M2570, M2350,
M2148,M2930, H1210,H1230,
H1250, H1270, H1310, H1320

news_second.jpg

So, as I'm looking at our fall schedule I am not seeing a lot of blank spaces. Please tell me that I don't have to attend all of that nonsense!

Lect 5 Anxiety Disorders
Chan
HRC AUD
Small Group Session #3
OFF SITE
HRC AUD
Palliative Care
Discussion Group
Confidentiality Cases

You can skip the morning psych lectures, which are pretty much run like the first year psych lectures with someone reading the slides verbatim. The offsite psych small group sessions are required, but were usually interesting. You'll be interviewing psych patients in those sessions in front of the rest of your small group, which can be nerve-wracking, especially when you get a tough case to interview.

I would strongly encourage you to skip the ethics lectures. I didn't make it through a single one awake. The main professor likes to lecture in this pseudo-Socratic method type teaching style that is really painful to sit through. Ethics small groups are required, though. They mostly sucked, although if you have a good group (you'll be grouped alphabetically into groups of 8 or 10ish) there were some opportunities to have stimulating conversations.

Overall, Tuesdays suck, but if you skip the lectures they can turn out to be valuable study time. At the least, if you study the classes for which you are skipping in those times, you shouldn't have to study outside of class time for them.

Members don't see this ad :)

Lect 5 Anxiety Disorders
Chan
HRC AUD
Small Group Session #3
OFF SITE
HRC AUD
Palliative Care
Discussion Group
Confidentiality Cases

Tuesdays are hell. Not only are they long, but you have to dress up. You can probably get away skipping psych lecture, but all the rest is pretty much required. Ethics lecture might be skippable as well.

Sorry. Otherwise the second year schedule wasnt' too bad in my opinion.

Edit: Cripes, gimlet. None of those posts were there when I started posting, and I had just refreshed too. Now i feel my answer was inadequte. Oh well.

ps...I will also be interviewing.

that last shot of lightning scared the buhjesus out of me. I didn't realize we were having lightning tonight and when I went to shut my sunroof I was nearly struck!

edit: what are the rules on taking showers during electrical storms?

I'M HEEEERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i even have internet now already!!!

time for some SERIOUS shopping for condo stuff AND clothes stuff for sure!!!! :idea: what kind of clothes are good for when we have to go to shadow doctors and practice things? (for girls i mean...duh!)

Professional clothes... dress pants and button down shirts are the way to go, probably.

And on another note, how come I didn't get an email about touring orientees? Boo hiss! I don't love you people either.

Professional clothes... dress pants and button down shirts are the way to go, probably.

And on another note, how come I didn't get an email about touring orientees? Boo hiss! I don't love you people either.

Check your email. Sorry! I would've sent it to you, but I didn't know if you'd given tours, if you wanted to. I had asked before and no one said anything, so I just sent it to the people I usually gave tours with (Splat, Pratik, and Don).

I wear polo shirts a lot. I hate dressing up.

I also couldn't stand Tuesdays. I'd take a change of clothes, so I wouldn't have to stay in clinic clothes. Or if I couldn't change, I at least had a different pair of shoes in my locker, so I could wear nice comfy shoes with my clinic clothes.

Oh, no, the gauntlet of no love has already been thrown.

Oh, no, the gauntlet of no love has already been thrown.

Wait a minute...I got no love either! We all know ninjas can give tours whether they have been officially "trained" or not. And to think, everyone could have had a chance to finally find out what Raplan's special prize is!!! To shame!

Disclaimer: Silly guys, Raplan's special prize is still only for the ladies!

Wait a minute...I got no love either! We all know ninjas can give tours whether they have been officially "trained" or not. And to think, everyone could have had a chance to finally find out what Raplan's special prize is!!! To shame!

Disclaimer: Silly guys, Raplan's special prize is still only for the ladies!

No one responded to me asking if people wanted to know about it a long time ago. I just knew Don had said he wanted to do it again this year if he could.

Fine, once again. Let me know on here if you haven't gotten the email from me Re: tours, and you want it. Funk, I'm emailing you now.

Humph. I might as well just go to work. :mad:

No one responded to me asking if people wanted to know about it a long time ago. I just knew Don had said he wanted to do it again this year if he could.

Fine, once again. Let me know on here if you haven't gotten the email from me Re: tours, and you want it. Funk, I'm emailing you now.

Humph. I might as well just go to work. :mad:

Whoa whoa whoa! The Funkster just meant that as a joke--no offense was taken on my part on the whole deal. I doubt I could get out of my rotation long enough to participate anyways.

C'mon Ash...you know we love ya. ;) Don't go to work mad, it's bad enough that it's neuro this month. :oops:

Ok. You regularly read them. Now it's time to step up and regularly post in them.

Whoa!! I'm just getting started here. After classes start, I'm sure I'll get rolling. Sorry to disappoint.

I'M HEEEERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i even have internet now already!!!

time for some SERIOUS shopping for condo stuff AND clothes stuff for sure!!!! :idea: what kind of clothes are good for when we have to go to shadow doctors and practice things? (for girls i mean...duh!)

If you want to go whole hog, serious colors for the skirts or pants (gray, blue, brown, tan, the usual neutrals), reasonably sober colors for the blouses, avoid low cuts. Think conservative. High heels are not necessary; a 1-2" heel if you're the heels type is plenty. When you're young, blonde, and innocent-looking, people tend to form a slight subconscious impression you're a lightweight. Wearing more serious clothes can help reverse that, so you're not digging out of a hole before you even open your mouth.

On the other hand, you will find that you can get away with frivolous prints and cute, open-toed shoes and no one will say you're dressed unprofessionally.

Eh, I wear bright colors. It works. I don't care for too many button-downs (have to fit just right - I think I have ~2 that I actually wear) and hate polos, so I go the nice-fitting plain shirt route. I guess technically, they're t-shirts, but when I think of t-shirts, I think of what you wear to the gym. These shirts are much more fitted. Think J. Crew. And I have a mass of sweaters too.

I shop a lot at Express and J. Crew for my clinic clothing. On sale, of course.

As for condo shopping, if I could afford it, I'd have a brand new couch from Crate and Barrel right now. I'm very jealous of you and your shopping.

I miss shopping. Retail therapy is good for the soul. And for the body - you get reminded if you've gained weight.

Whoa whoa whoa! The Funkster just meant that as a joke--no offense was taken on my part on the whole deal. I doubt I could get out of my rotation long enough to participate anyways.

C'mon Ash...you know we love ya. ;) Don't go to work mad, it's bad enough that it's neuro this month. :oops:

I was complaining to complain.

Neuro >>>>>> psych. I don't dread going to work every day, even if I have to get up earlier, be at the hospital way earlier and stay later, and take call (sometimes). The only part about psych I liked was the staff, not the patients so much. I also get to do procedures in neuro. I tried an art line yesterday, but my phleb skills got the better of me, and I went too shallow for the artery. Now I know... radial artery, stick deeper.

I got St. Mary's for OB/gyn, and I start on gyn.

I love getting out of work at 1:00. Neuro consults has been awesome so far. Our new resident is awesome, and she says that the new attending we'll be getting this week is great as well.

Got St. Joe's for Ob/Gyn. Starting on OB, but we switch every week, I guess. My group is all dudes.

Supposedly (according to the 4th year on consults right now) there is one OB/Gyn resident that's so malignant we should just quit medicine now if we get assigned to her. I think her name was Dugan...Dugal? Something like that. Any experience with her, Xandie or Don? You can PM me if you don't want it out in public.

Edit: I think it was Dunbar he mentioned, now that I've looked at the list of OB residents.

I love getting out of work at 1:00. Neuro consults has been awesome so far. Our new resident is awesome, and she says that the new attending we'll be getting this week is great as well.

Got St. Joe's for Ob/Gyn. Starting on OB, but we switch every week, I guess. My group is all dudes.

Supposedly (according to the 4th year on consults right now) there is one OB/Gyn resident that's so malignant we should just quit medicine now if we get assigned to her. I think her name was Dugan...Dugal? Something like that. Any experience with her, Xandie or Don? You can PM me if you don't want it out in public.

Edit: I think it was Dunbar he mentioned, now that I've looked at the list of OB residents.

I did clinic with her once...she seemed nice. She isnt at Joes now but im also not sure when they switch. Holla if ya wanna know more about joes...1 more week!!!

I did clinic with her once...she seemed nice. She isnt at Joes now but im also not sure when they switch. Holla if ya wanna know more about joes...1 more week!!!

Holla. Any advice? Stuff to study up on, attendings to watch out for, hints for interacting with patients/nurses, etc?

Holla. Any advice? Stuff to study up on, attendings to watch out for, hints for interacting with patients/nurses, etc?

That's easy. Remember: always say "En garde! I'm about to enter!"

Nurses also like cookies.

Edit: DonnyFuego! (I like that name.) You were at Mary's, yeah? Any tips?

I was complaining to complain.

Neuro >>>>>> psych. I don't dread going to work every day, even if I have to get up earlier, be at the hospital way earlier and stay later, and take call (sometimes). The only part about psych I liked was the staff, not the patients so much. I also get to do procedures in neuro. I tried an art line yesterday, but my phleb skills got the better of me, and I went too shallow for the artery. Now I know... radial artery, stick deeper.

Oh, you lucky, lucky girl.

Remind me to tell you the common pimp questions of the staff when the time comes.

That's easy. Remember: always say "En garde! I'm about to enter!"

Nurses also like cookies.

Edit: DonnyFuego! (I like that name.) You were at Mary's, yeah? Any tips?

Oops, didn't see that. I'll get them to you tomorrow (too tired now).

I like cookies.

Oops, didn't see that. I'll get them to you tomorrow (too tired now).

I like cookies.

That's quite alright. Anytime. I probably shouldn't get too bogged down with OB/gyn crap right before neuro/psych stuff.

Next time we have our little get together (M3/M4 nights) ;) I can make cookies. We need to have another one, the one in June was fun.

Be specific... bright green BOLO ties.

We need to prepare for the interview panel by you, me and Pratik for the 4th interviews.

Let me know if you guys need a mock pre-med to mock interview in prep for the real deal. Evidently I was so good at interviewing back in the day that they wanted to get a shot at me 3 times.

One random trivia question I'll throw out there so the new folks can get to know the upperclassmen a little better:

True or False:
When asked "Why medicine" in his first interview DoctorFunk proceeded to spend five minutes outlining why medicine is a great field due to job security and guaranteed financial stability, without mentioning patients once.

One random trivia question I'll throw out there so the new folks can get to know the upperclassmen a little better:

True or False:
When asked "Why medicine" in his first interview DoctorFunk proceeded to spend five minutes outlining why medicine is a great field due to job security and guaranteed financial stability, without mentioning patients once.

How about commenting on your interview attire fashion sense. ;)

EDIT: I'll play

True or False
If you have a cold during an interview, it is a valid excuse to have a brief coughing fit and drink water when asked a tough question in order to think about how to answer it. (Hint: It may help more if you also have larygnitis.)

How about commenting on your interview attire fashion sense. ;)

Now, now, we'd hate to give away answers to my future quiz questions. ;)

Oh, and by the by, that day I made Mr. Rogers look like a Goodwill-lovin' punk.

Maybe you should've used my water trick. ;) It at least got me waitlisted here. :p

Yeah, but if I had done that I would already be an MD and would have two more years of earning potential added onto my career. Oh, and I never would have met all of my favorite MCoWers or Horatio!

Yeah, but if I had done that I would already be an MD and would have two more years of earning potential added onto my career. Oh, and I never would have met all of my favorite MCoWers or Horatio!

How could you live without seeing Horatio?

Good call on not using the sick-cough-water trick. M1 year I'm glad I wasn't sick for my interview at Tulane (which was 2 days before here, and I didn't have a cold yet) -- otherwise, I'd be displaced because of Katrina.

Good call on not using the sick-cough-water trick. M1 year I'm glad I wasn't sick for my interview at Tulane (which was 2 days before here, and I didn't have a cold yet) -- otherwise, I'd be displaced because of Katrina.

I like to think of all of these near-misses that could have led to the folks in our class going to other schools as being just another sign that fate intervened and brought us all together. :love:

Now whether we were brought together to become a big extended family and help each other through our education and learn valuable life lessons (ala Saved By the Bell) or rather to participate in an vicious battle with our peers for glory, power, and ultimate immortality (ala Highlander) remains to be seen. Either way, I guess I'll hang on to my katana.

I like to think of all of these near-misses that could have led to the folks in our class going to other schools as being just another sign that fate intervened and brought us all together. :love:

Now whether we were brought together to become a big extended family and help each other through our education and learn valuable life lessons (ala Saved By the Bell) or rather to participate in an vicious battle with our peers for glory, power, and ultimate immortality (ala Highlander) remains to be seen. Either way, I guess I'll hang on to my katana.

Never know how many kidney biopsies you're going to do.

Btw... did you see in a thread in allo that someone made a comment that it takes "ninja skillz to be IM."

EDIT: the ninja skillz quote's in the Family Med vs IM thread.

Never know how many kidney biopsies you're going to do.

Btw... did you see in a thread in allo that someone made a comment that it takes "ninja skillz to do IM."

See now, just the fact that they wrote "skillz" shows that they are not true ninjas. A true ninja is unafraid of proper spelling and punctuation. In fact, Webster himself was a ninja and actually assassinated the person that came up with the "i before e except after c" rule because they were dispensing ancient ninja spelling secrets to the mass public.

I do agree, however, that being an IM doctor takes ninja skills.

Interesting... I was sick on the day of my Tulane interview. My roommate and I drove down to NOLA from MN. I progressively increased my cough and lost my voice on the roadtrip down. I was waitlisted at Tulane. Otherwise I very well may have been displaced with you.