MCW Class of 2010, Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Franimal said:
Everybody has been so quiet lately... Is everyone too busy? Keep recruiting to get our class of 2010 on this thread.
So it was like 78 degrees today... I was warm in shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. I am going to miss days like this when I go out there. Being from San Diego, I was surprised to recently find out that one of my professors was actually accepted to Madison as Med student and then decided to persue research. She said that she had some friends go to MCW and others to Madison, and it seemed that those at MCW had better things to say about the students and the school. I just thought I would share that.

Yeah keep digging up the people of 2010 , we need to get to know each other , so its good to start now.As for the weather here in Philly its banging spring time too yesterday and winter today. Hey , does anyone know the finaid budget for living expenses, b/c I've heared it was about 10K a year.

Members don't see this ad.

munadel10 said:
Hey , does anyone know the finaid budget for living expenses, b/c I've heared it was about 10K a year.

I am pretty sure that $10K is right. Tuition is approx. $33K and then they offer us a total loan of $43 (for the first year)... I guess that leaves $10K for all other expenses. We were discussing a week or two ago how it is a pretty tight budget. But hey, that just means you have to try to spend money wisely and you won't be in as much debt at the end.

Franimal said:
I am pretty sure that $10K is right. Tuition is approx. $33K and then they offer us a total loan of $43 (for the first year)... I guess that leaves $10K for all other expenses. We were discussing a week or two ago how it is a pretty tight budget. But hey, that just means you have to try to spend money wisely and you won't be in as much debt at the end.

Im not sure of the exact details of the budget....but they give you about 550 for rent and utilities. It is not bad unless you wanna live by yourself.

Im off to enjoy my good beer buzz i have going

Members don't see this ad :)
pratik7 said:
Im not sure of the exact details of the budget....but they give you about 550 for rent and utilities. It is not bad unless you wanna live by yourself.

Im off to enjoy my good beer buzz i have going

Hooray Beer!!!! I had a little party for the UFC fight tonight... we were enjoying our buzz too.... My roomate is going to Des Moine Iowa for DO school and was cheering for a fighter just because he was from Iowa... needless to say... the guy got knocked out by a kick to the top of his dome... then a knee to his temple as he was on his way down to the floor. HAHAHA
For those of you that are M1's or further along......If you had to classify Medical school as 1. Fun 2. Work 3. Painful or 4. Enjoyable... what would it be?
Oh yeah... and I had a friend that went to school in Kansas for a while and he said they don't sell alcohol on Sundays ( they drove 4 hrs. to Nebraska one time just to get alcohol on a Sunday)... is it like that in Wisconsin?

Franimal said:
Hooray Beer!!!! I had a little party for the UFC fight tonight... we were enjoying our buzz too.... My roomate is going to Des Moine Iowa for DO school and was cheering for a fighter just because he was from Iowa... needless to say... the guy got knocked out by a kick to the top of his dome... then a knee to his temple as he was on his way down to the floor. HAHAHA
For those of you that are M1's or further along......If you had to classify Medical school as 1. Fun 2. Work 3. Painful or 4. Enjoyable... what would it be?
Oh yeah... and I had a friend that went to school in Kansas for a while and he said they don't sell alcohol on Sundays ( they drove 4 hrs. to Nebraska one time just to get alcohol on a Sunday)... is it like that in Wisconsin?

I classify it as tolerable...there are fun days, there are painful days, and there are days that are just blah

I'm gonna say all of the above, like Pratik. Some days is great, other days it sucks when you wanna go have fun, but you have to study, and other days when you wonder why you did this to yourself.

So in WI, beer and liquor can be sold in grocery stores (some states it's only in a liquor store). Sundays are wide open, but you can only by until 9pm everyday, unless it's a bar licensed for off-sale.

MN is the same way as Kansas, no alcohol on Sundays. But at least they're open until 10.

The budget is a little more than 10k. You're absolutely correct.

bump, because Florida State is at the top right now and that just isn't right. I heard that FSU's average age is 76 years old.

Also, what do you all know about the Shorewood area?

indo said:

I SHOREWOOD live there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eh...nevermind.

Agent Splat said:
I SHOREWOOD live there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eh...nevermind.

That was a bad one... Sounds like something JD would say on Scrubs... I think that is where my mom's friend lives (like on the lake). I am not sure though. But if it is the same place. Apparently there are some really nice houses there.

indo said:

Shorewood is located on the east/northeast side of Milwaukee. It borders Lake Michigan, and it's a nice area with a lot of charming houses and whatnot. I'm not entirely sure, but housing costs seem to be pretty similar to what you would find in Tosa. The downside to Shorewood is that it would be a fairly long drive to the school compared to living in Tosa, West Allis, Brookfield, etc.

I hear that people in Wisconsin just really hate driving (in general). In California, a lot of people drive like 20 to 45 mins. to work or school everyday. It just isn't that big of a deal. Though I will be honest... I would prefer to live closer to school!!!!

Franimal said:
I hear that people in Wisconsin just really hate driving (in general). In California, a lot of people drive like 20 to 45 mins. to work or school everyday. It just isn't that big of a deal. Though I will be honest... I would prefer to live closer to school!!!!

Especially in med school, at least for me, I can't stand driving anymore. I wish I lived closer. I've developed the amazing ability to be able to study ONLY at school, and I'm a bit of a homebody as well, so I spend much time shuttling myself back and forth. Luckily I live at the Normandy
Village so the drive isn't very long depending on time of day. But, the drive is particularly annoying in the cold cold snowy days. I definitely recommend living a bit closer unless you can study at home or someplace close to home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Franimal said:

I guess I've never heard that before. I'm originally from West central WI by the Twin Cities, and a lot of people commute there to work, anywhere from 20 - 60 minutes one way. I used to do a 40 minute commute when I went to school at U of MN. Also, there's a bunch of people that live in SE WI (Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha) that commute to Chicago for work everyday. I think a lot of them take the train.

Who wouldn't want a shorter commute though, really? Saves time for other things in your day, you can sleep in later, etc. I don't think it's that people don't want to drive, it's that they would rather do something else than spend an hour everyday in the car.

I've got an interview coming up for the alternate list at MCW and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how many out of staters make it off the alt. list? I'm sure it varies year to year, but does anyone have an average? Thanks!!

Nebuloso said:
I've got an interview coming up for the alternate list at MCW and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how many out of staters make it off the alt. list? I'm sure it varies year to year, but does anyone have an average? Thanks!!

I don't have a figure for you, but I do believe that it is easier for an out-of-stater to make it off the waitlist than an in-stater. You probably already know this, but MCW makes seperate waitlists for in-state applicants and OOS applicants. When an in-state person drops their spot, someone from the in-state waitlist gets that spot, and vice versa.

So if you think about it, for an applicant to get in off the in-state list, they have to wait for someone to drop their in-state acceptance to MCW for an OOS spot at another school (or Madison, I guess, but Madison's waitlist doesn't see a lot of movement). Who would want to do that, unless your OOS acceptance is at a really prestigious school (but why would they be waitlisted at MCW if they're getting acceptances at top ranked schools)?

On the other hand, you are much more likely to have an OOS student with a spot drop out when they get an acceptance to THEIR in-state school, thus freeing up a spot in the class for someone on the OOS waitlist.

Anyway, the admissions staff at MCW is very helpful. I would give them a call on Monday, or e-mail Mike Istwan and ask. Either way, good luck on your interview!

Andy's right on the money. I was one of those in-state waitlist people and it sucked. I pretty much barely got in. The out-of-state waitlist moved quite a bit more than the instate one. I would call them like once a week and many times my rank had not changed. Finally got in in July. I'm not sure how much the out-of-state waitlist moved overall, but it does move.

Although, last year was kind of a bad year for waitlists overall. Just FYI.

Franimal said:
In order, I would say 1, 4, 2, 3. And I second that Hooray for beer (and wine, hard liquor). Apart from the liquor sales being cutoff at 9, this place is partyville. I've never been anywhere in the US where people drink more often than they do here in Wisconsin. The bars close at 2 (last call 1:30) Sun-Thurs and at 2:30 (last call 2) on Fri and Sat.

indo said:

Shorewood is about a 20-30 minute drive from campus (depending on time of day and traffic). My mentor's office is in shorewood and my girlfriend lives out there. The drive really isn't that bad. Also, I looked at housing out there this summer and the pricing is a bit more expensive than Tosa. There didn't really seem to be as many rentals out there either. In Shorewood, the closer you get to the lake, the more expensive housing is.

Summerfest announced its first performer today! So what if it's only Kenny Chesney, it means that we're creeping ever closer to summer. I don't know how many of you have ever been to Summerfest, but there are few things better in the world than sitting on a picnic table drinking a $6 Miller Lite while watching some of the world's most interesting people...I'm talking 40 year old, 200 lb. drunk women who could stand to wear a little more clothing and guys wearing tank tops who have more hair on their backs than on their heads...mmm...it's truly an event everyone should experience at least once in their life.

When does summer fest start? I am planning on coming out there towards the beginning of June... maybe I can mix it into my plan of things to do. It sounds fun! Sounds like I might blend in with the crowd (HAHA, yeah right)

Franimal said:
When does summer fest start? I am planning on coming out there towards the beginning of June... maybe I can mix it into my plan of things to do. It sounds fun! Sounds like I might blend in with the crowd (HAHA, yeah right)

Summerfest usually starts around the last weekend in June and continues through July 4th. It runs for about 10-11 days.

Sometime this summer before the school year we'll have to get some of you people together. I'm sure I and some of the other future M2s would love to hang out with you. Until school starts, then we'll be too cool for you, and will gang up and give you swirlies.

I'm especially looking forward to swirlying indo.

Agent Splat said:
Sometime this summer before the school year we'll have to get some of you people together. I'm sure I and some of the other future M2s would love to hang out with you. Until school starts, then we'll be too cool for you, and will gang up and give you swirlies.

I'm especially looking forward to swirlying indo.

I weigh 322 lbs, 323 after that last bowl of cereal. You're going to need help.

indo said:
I weigh 322 lbs, 323 after that last bowl of cereal. You're going to need help.

I'm thirty feet tall and weight 1200 pounds, all muscle. I'll be fine.

Agent Splat said:

Cool...I've got a light bulb on a vaulted ceiling I need changed.

Greetings!

I guess I am one of those lost classmates that everyone keeps mentioning. I interviewed on November 18th and was accepted the first week of December. I really liked the school and thought the students and staff were great. I am from Idaho, so I guess you could say that I am slightly accustomed to the cold. The humidity is another thing, but I am looking forward to the experience.

I look forward to meeting everyone and getting to know you all as the school year begins and the rollarcoaster ride begins. Until then, I plan to enjoy my time off with plenty of fishing, camping, and hiking.

Welcome Scalpel. Its good to hear from yet another one of the many classmates that are MIA.

For the rest of you. Are there any like sports clubs that people get together and play some basketball or volley ball ? I like to keep something active like that involved in my schedule. Maybe the 1st years could challenge the M2's to some sort of game. That could be interesting!!!!

Agent Splat said:

C'mon Marc, stop exaggerating...everyone knows that you don't stand an inch over 29 feet.

Franimal, there is a pretty active intramural sports league here at MCW. In the beginning of the school year we had softball, later in the fall was flag football, and right now we're in the middle of volleyball. I know there are also guys that get together every Monday to play soccer, and there are usually pickup basketball games happening somewhere on Fridays.

Let me second that welcome, too, Scalpel. If the MCW thread on SDN is anything like last year's, there are probably a lot of lurkers out there who are accepted, but don't post anything. Come out and join us people!

Last year Agent Splat organized a contact list for all the class of 2009 SDNer's. People just PM'ed him their names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc (anything they were comfortable with sharing) and he compiled a list and e-mailed it out to everyone who contributed their info. I think that helped draw some people out of the woodwork, and it was nice to know everyone's real names when school started so we could introduce ourselves finally. Maybe one of you could take the initiative on that this year.... :idea:

[Edit: Everyone be excited for me...my fiance and I just had an offer on a home in Oak Creek accepted today! We're really excited to not be paying rent any more.]

Andy, congrats on the house purchase. I'm on the condo/house hunt right now but haven't had a ton of luck.

Franimal and Tiger, you can count me in for some b-ball action. We just need 2 more to take on the class of 2009.

Hello every! My name is Jordan. I got accepted back in September to MCW to start next fall, and I'm just wondering what people do for living. Anything very near the school? Thanks!

Welcome to the new comers of the class of 2010. hope to meet all in the fall.Come out ....come out people.

jmshapiro said:
Hello every! My name is Jordan. I got accepted back in September to MCW to start next fall, and I'm just wondering what people do for living. Anything very near the school? Thanks!

Jordan,

There is plenty of housing within walking distance of school. If you can swing it, I would make a trip out here in April or May and just drive around the area to get a feel for where you want to live, and what types of places are available. Check the bulletin boards at MCW as well...they have lots of postings for places in the neighborhood.

Hello Everyone,
I guess I am one of those classmates, people keep on mentioning. I will be there this August, very excited to meet everyone.

Welcome all you new people... WOO HOO... the pieces are coming together. SO it sounds like the 2009 class has some challengers. I am glad we have some people in 2010 willing to step up!!! Good job guys... I look forward to meeting you.

So I saw that registration/orientation is from Aug. 7th to the 11th. I guess that means we have to be there by the 7th? My birthday is on the 4th and I was hoping to leave on the 5th. I have about a 2 day drive from San Diego (if I drive 14 hrs a day). SO that is cutting it a little close!!! What do you guys think? Should I leave before my birthday? what do we do for orientation?

Franimal said:
Welcome all you new people... WOO HOO... the pieces are coming together. SO it sounds like the 2009 class has some challengers. I am glad we have some people in 2010 willing to step up!!! Good job guys... I look forward to meeting you.

So I saw that registration/orientation is from Aug. 7th to the 11th. I guess that means we have to be there by the 7th? My birthday is on the 4th and I was hoping to leave on the 5th. I have about a 2 day drive from San Diego (if I drive 14 hrs a day). SO that is cutting it a little close!!! What do you guys think? Should I leave before my birthday? what do we do for orientation?

Wellll....you sorta HAVE to be there for orientation. If you aren't they kick you out. Or at least they threaten to. The first day is basically people all repeating the same boring speech over and over about how you're going to be doctors, higher standards, professionalism, being scientists, blah blah blah.

You also get a free coffee mug thing (HUGE, v. good) and a free breakfast thing. Then you go through an orientation to the orientation so you don't get confused about the orientation, financial aid session, info on security and parking (woooo....), student health services, info about our super duper ANGEL system, and then there's teh breakout mini sessions which will be held by US...muahahaha....about different aspects of your first year....lab, studying habits, relationships, clubs, research, etc.

Then you go home. The next day you come back and go through more hoops of buying notes, paying tuition, getting your white coat, getting your ID photo, etc etc etc etc etc. Then wednesday you do more stuff, and again on Thursday. Finally on Friday you get a great speech about what happens if you fail your classes, then you go and hear from all the major professors from each course. Then you go to the white coat ceremony, where you will be joined by your colleagues, family, friends, and faculty for your coating. The cadavers will not be present at your white coat ceremony. They are already dead at this point. The M2s take care of that.

As for should you go, Franny, I guess it's up to you if you want to risk potentially having an "incident" that delays your getting back in time.

I know when a few of us got together right before orientation it made "opening day" a little more comfortable, having some already familiar faces. So one of you should definitely organize a contact list. I'm not doing that for you. I have to catch your cadavers for next year.

Hi guys.

I highly recommend going to the pre-orientation activities that you'll hear about this summer before you get here. Especially if you're like me and live by yourself. This is an excellent way to meet people before the orientation begins on Monday. In fact, some of us that met at pre-orientation still hang out, study, and party together. Plus, it's just a fun time. :)

Supposedly if you're not at orientation at 8, they call up the next person on the waitlist. Don't know how much of that is just threat, cuz everyone showed up this year.

Splat, are you on the orientation committee? I wanted to do that, but totally missed the meeting...

akpete said:
Splat, are you on the orientation committee? I wanted to do that, but totally missed the meeting...

Can't even use my real name....*sigh*

No, I'm not. But I'm sure if you emailed or visited with the powers that be, they would let you be "involved."

I was gonna plan a hostile takeover of the committee and make orientation a month long event. I just don't think a week was enough.

I'm on the orientation committee...I'm sure you could e-mail Sue Haldemann about being involved. No hostile takeover necessary, Marc. The committee stands at 41 people so far, so you would need a pretty elite force to take us all out. Anyway, the tasks have already kind of been doled out to everybody, but I'm sure people could use help in areas (especially getting donations for the "raffle" on Friday where everyone wins something).

Franimal, I'm going to third the recommend that you not cut it too close on making it here for orientation. Registration is the first thing scheduled on the first day of orientation, and if you're more than 20 minutes late to it, they add a late registration fee of like $200 or so. If you're not there by mid-morning, they will give away your spot in the class to someone on the waitlist, like akpete said.

Needless to say, they REALLY want you there on the first day of orientation. It's just one of those random anal things that MCW likes to do to make everyone that much more paranoid (like the credit check on acceptance). Cutting it down to 2 days and 28 hrs of driving...It would suck if you had car trouble or got lost or distracted by strippers and you couldn't make it on time.

My gosh Andy... how did you know I planned to stop at a strip joint to get my fix? Maybe I should skip that stop and not bring my bottle of whiskey so I won't get lost. HAHA
Well it sounds like I should come out early and party there for my birthday!!!

Sorry. Marc it is.

Anyway. I moved down on Aug 1, and I think that works out great because I was able to move in all my stuff, unpack and organize everything, and drive around and find things without school having started. It would've sucked to go to orientation, then come home and have to try to unpack and whatnot from like 5-9 - because of course, you're going to be partying every night! :)

Anyone know exactly when the white coat ceremony is? I'm from the great Northwest (Oregon) so the fam will need to know for travel arrangements. I actually already moved out here (got accepted in Sept.), but a thing everyone should do is go on the Lakefront Brewing Tour when you get out here. I went last weekend when my brother was in town and it was crazy. You basically pay $5 and drink a boatload of microbrews, best $5 spent in a long time!

dsherida said:
Anyone know exactly when the white coat ceremony is? I'm from the great Northwest (Oregon) so the fam will need to know for travel arrangements. I actually already moved out here (got accepted in Sept.), but a thing everyone should do is go on the Lakefront Brewing Tour when you get out here. I went last weekend when my brother was in town and it was crazy. You basically pay $5 and drink a boatload of microbrews, best $5 spent in a long time!

For us it was the last day of orientation...that Friday. It's a really goofy day, and you sorta feel like you're graduating but it's something far worse.

dsherida said:

I second the Lakefront Brewery Tour. Not only is the beer good, but for $5 you get a pilsner glass and 4 free beers plus a hilarious tour given by one of their resident drunk tour guides. If you want the true Wisconsin experience, go for a late Friday afternoon tour and stay for the fish fry. The Sprecher brewery tour is also good, although a bit more sedate. And while you're at it, don't forget about the free Miller Brewery tour.

Oopps...double-post

dsherida said:

The Lakefront Brewery tour was one of our pre-orientation events last fall. We went for the fish fry on Friday and then had our own "private" (just us med students) tour afterwards. Drank a fair amount for sure. Out of all the pre-orientation events, this one was the best!! If they go again this year, I'm there.

That sounds awesome!!! I will need to get a hold of some of you guys and have you take me to this brewery when I come out to look for a place in May!!! What is a fish fry? Is it just a fried fish dinner? Is the Miller tour really free? Man, and to think I thought Wisconsin was cool before all of this.

Also, it may be a little early, but I am going to take "Splat" and Andy's advice and invite everyone to PM me their personal info so I can start a contact list. Your E-mail, first and last name, and phone number should be good, or what ever you feel comfortable with. You class of 2009ers can feel free to participate as well, since people would probably like to contact you for certain reasons, if you are interested…. Just be sure to let me know you are 2009. It doesn't hurt to get it started now, and then we can add to the list as people continue to show up.

Also, have you guys heard of "Myspace"? pretty much everyone I know in San Diego uses it. I was just curious if any of you have a profile on there so I could check it out. Anyhow, if you don't know about it, well, you are missing out!! It is a great way to conveniently stay in contact with friends and you get to use lots of pictures. Well, hope everyones having a good week!!!

Oh yeah, so how "big" is this white coat ceromony. Do most people have their parents come. Would I feel left out if mine weren't there? My roomate said his parents are definitely going to his. But I don't know much about it. I guess I will will invite my parents to fly out, but I am not sure if it is such a big deal that they should.

Franimal said:
That sounds awesome!!! I will need to get a hold of some of you guys and have you take me to this brewery when I come out to look for a place in May!!! What is a fish fry? Is it just a fried fish dinner? Is the Miller tour really free? Man, and to think I thought Wisconsin was cool before all of this.

Well, attached are some pictures of a Door County Wisconsin fish boil. Is this tradition just in Wisconsin or do other states have this? A fish fry is the same thing without the drama of the boiling.

Attachments

• 33436530-M.jpg
    33436530-M.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 33437347-M-1.jpg
    33437347-M-1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 33437864-M-1.jpg
    33437864-M-1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 209
Any tennis players here? And, I'm not that familiar with the area; are there courts or clubs nearby? I'm hoping to bring my racquets and do a lot of hitting before orientation and in any free time I may have.