Mayo (Rochester) versus Brown / RIH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BBFF2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to post one of these annoying threads...

I'm having trouble picking my #1 spot.

I did an away rotation at Mayo and really liked it but am having trouble seeing myself in Rochester for 5 years.

I went to Brown undergrad so I know I like Providence but the "super chief" year seems like a drag. I'm not sure that it's a "deal breaker" but it might make me bump Brown / RIH down in the rankings.

I know these are both wonderful programs and I'm lucky to have gotten interviews there but I'm having a hell of a time deciding.

Bonus points: Tufts versus Brown?

Members don't see this ad.

The "superchief" year at Brown gains you nothing, fyi. It is not an official trauma fellowship. It is basically a PGY6 year, so you get the extra experience, but that's the only upside.

Thoughts on Mayo? Or thoughts on Tufts versus Brown?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow MS-4 who interviewed at Mayo and knows about the Brown program. In terms of reputation, Mayo > Brown. In terms of operating experience, Brown > Mayo though the research infrastructure at Mayo makes it easier to publish and get a great fellowship in subspecialties (though trauma/peds at Brown is likely better). "Super chief" year at Brown is a serious downer for me as well and definitely is a loss of pay/another year you can do a fellowship. I can tell you from experience Rochester is pretty bad in terms of weather/non urban environment so that is definitely a minus. I'm sure you remember how the weather interview day was, around -10 degrees F and that is how it is most of winter (end of Nov to Feb/March). Unfortunately, most residents said Minneapolis is amazing though still hard to get to because an orthopedic residency is still very busy so I got the impression that Rochester is where you'll be "stuck" most weekends. I actually really like Providence and Rochester makes Providence appear like a large city. Not sure if anything I said helps, but I would pick a more urban location for 5 years (unless you want to have kids etc) so I can actually enjoy my weekends.

Tufts and Brown are probably similar in prestige, Tufts with more private style experience, Brown with >>>> better trauma experience. In my opinion, Boston is a much better city to be in than Providence for your time off, but that's up to you.

Tufts and Brown are probably similar in prestige, Tufts with more private style experience, Brown with >>>> better trauma experience. In my opinion, Boston is a much better city to be in than Providence for your time off, but that's up to you.

Thanks man. Any other advice re: making rank order list? Did you prioritize prestige versus location versus "gut feeling"?

Fellow MS-4 who interviewed at Mayo and knows about the Brown program. In terms of reputation, Mayo > Brown. In terms of operating experience, Brown > Mayo though the research infrastructure at Mayo makes it easier to publish and get a great fellowship in subspecialties (though trauma/peds at Brown is likely better). "Super chief" year at Brown is a serious downer for me as well and definitely is a loss of pay/another year you can do a fellowship. I can tell you from experience Rochester is pretty bad in terms of weather/non urban environment so that is definitely a minus. I'm sure you remember how the weather interview day was, around -10 degrees F and that is how it is most of winter (end of Nov to Feb/March). Unfortunately, most residents said Minneapolis is amazing though still hard to get to because an orthopedic residency is still very busy so I got the impression that Rochester is where you'll be "stuck" most weekends. I actually really like Providence and Rochester makes Providence appear like a large city. Not sure if anything I said helps, but I would pick a more urban location for 5 years (unless you want to have kids etc) so I can actually enjoy my weekends.

Thanks! Yeah, it was FREEZING that day- I remember the slide that the chairman showed us was like "the only thing you won't like about Mayo is the weather". I'm from the Southeast (and go to school there) so I'm not sure I would survive the weather...but the program is soooo good. It's tough.

Thanks man. Any other advice re: making rank order list? Did you prioritize prestige versus location versus "gut feeling"?
I ranked on location. Family wanted us to be as close as possible. If I had nothing holding me down my rank (and application list) would have been much different.

What did you end up deciding on? Just curious!

What did you end up deciding on? Just curious!
Hey, I decided on Mayo > Brown. I would rather be cold for 5 years in Minnesota than cold for 6 years in Providence. Still having my doubts about that decision but I can't change it anymore :)

Reactions: 1 user