VCU versus Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delayed2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...another one of these threads. I'm having trouble deciding between these two. Does reputation matter? Is it worth (in general), going somewhere that has a better reputation versus a better location?

Tufts
-Pros: Good operative experience, well-known program.
-Cons: In Boston (I'm a Southerner so New England isn't that much of a pull), travel between hospitals, not a ton of trauma

VCU
-Pros: RVA is an awesome town, good operative experience, trauma for days
-Cons: Reputation? I'm not really sure if this program is well known.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation as you but I believe the consensus on SDN is to go to a cheaper school. Both programs seem great.

I'm in a similar situation as you but I believe the consensus on SDN is to go to a cheaper school. Both programs seem great.
I think OP is discussing their Orthopedic Surgery rank list, if I'm not mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: I didn't interview at these places so I can't offer great insight, but I can tell you my thoughts as an outside viewer who canceled an interview at both of them.

In my mind, though the trauma may be better at VCU, the reputation of Tufts is better. Are you interested in something in particular? If so, Tufts would probably have more established attendings in that field so you can get a good fellowship. Though you do have to travel for Tufts (ex. Brown), this isn't all bad because it allows you to form relationships with attendings at another academic institution and helps with fellowship/job opportunities in the future. I know New England isn't amazing coming from the South for you, but after residency, I figure you would have better job opportunities coming from Tufts than VCU.

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like you should rank VCU higher. At this point, the whole name of your residency thing I honestly feel is not that important. I interviewed at a small program that matched someone into fellowship that a couple "top 10" residencies bragged about having their residents go to. Likewise, my home program isn't well known, and 3/4 residents got their top choice at objectively great programs.

If you go to Mayo, will it be easier to get the exact fellowship and location that you want? Likely.
If you go to westbumbleF community program and work hard, will you bit prohibited from matching a certain fellowship or end up getting a crappy choice? Unlikely.

Go wherever you feel makes you happy and that you think will leave you more prepared for practice.
For the record, I had interview offers at both. I'm not the biggest fan of Richmond, from my limited time there. If we all applied to only programs we could see ourselves at and set our rank list based on where would make us the happiest, this process would be exponentially less stressful for us all.