May 2014 MCATers United

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All 2014 MCATers, please unite!

Regardless of when in May you are planning to take the MCAT, let's all join this thread to keep each other informed about our progress, motivate each other, share FL scores, and to answer each other's questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like you. I was remembering specific questions I had to guess on and it just made everything worse. I didn't even bother checking the answers to them either because that would be more torture lol. This was my 2nd time taking the mcat. Completely blew the first one I took in 2012, didn't really know what kind of monster I was dealing with and didn't study the right way. Had bought some kaplan flash cards and borrowed a prep book (showed u how to think your way through answers) and thought that was efficient. Well I ended up getting a 14:meh:. To make matters worse, my undergrad was very inadequate when it came to pre med students so it was like the blind leading the blind when it came to anything pre med. After graduating and finding real resources and mentors, I was able to find my way here and to a plethora of study plans and tips with books and all. So this time around I came as prepared as I could get. Studied for about 4 months total, and hopefully I'll see it pay off come July 1st.

Lol,my undergrad was similar to yours. Although I was a science major but the "pre med society" was a complete disaster including the advisor who didn't know that one can fill out an application before taking the mcat. That's how terrible it was,but thankfully the incoming students will have a new knowledgeable advisor.
A lot people tends to underestimate this test,and are shocked to find how tricky and in depth aamc can test your knowledge. I'm sure that's what happens to u the first time.
Did u self studied this time around or enrolled in one of the commercial test prep class? How were ur practice scores like?
Sdn can be very useful in helping u to find a suitable schedule because many people puts up their success stories, but sdn has its fair share of users/haters.
I do really hope u get a good score this time :D :D :D

Last edited:
I just signed up for early September. I'm also working full time so I want some time in order to fully review everything and feel confident.

I also agree with everyone else. I keep figuring out I made more and more mistakes. July can't come soon enough!

That's good,what are you doing differently this time around?
Just thinking back to the mistakes is bad enough and on top we have to wait a whole month for the results is completely exhausting :(

That's good,what are you doing differently this time around?
Just thinking back to the mistakes is bad enough and on top we have to wait a whole month for the results is completely exhausting :(

Yeah man... My score can be any where from 25-31 ...

I have to rely on alcohol on the day that scores come out

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna work the day before scores come out to keep my mine off stuff and tire myself out. I've finally ordered all my transcripts and I expect it to take a few weeks for them all to get there (had to order 4 of them!). I need to wrap up my PS and come up with good descriptions of my experiences. Trying to enjoy the weather and the days off as much as possible before diving back into the study groove

Dude, I honestly think you are low balling it. You were scoring very well. I'd be shocked if you got under 30.

i really hope so... again I don't I will get less than an 11 in both sciences (feel like a 12 in bio is what I should get) but verbal can be anywhere from 5-8 (simply because i made a LOT of guesses) so it all depends on that ..

Lol,my undergrad was similar to yours. Although I was a science major but the "pre med society" was a complete disaster including the advisor who didn't know that one can fill out an application before taking the mcat. That's how terrible it was,but thankfully the incoming students will have a new knowledgeable advisor.
A lot people tends to underestimate this test,and are shocked to find how tricky and in depth aamc can test your knowledge. I'm sure that's what happens to u the first time.
Did u self studied this time around or enrolled in one of the commercial test prep class? How were ur practice scores like?
Sdn can be very useful in helping u to find a suitable schedule because many people puts up their success stories, but sdn has its fair share of users/haters.
I do really hope u get a good score this time :D :D :D
Thanks I do too lol. The semester I graduated our bio department got with Kaplan and got us a class on campus for free. So with that I had access to all of their online material and had all of their subject books. So I self studied using them, some of exam krackers, and Berkley Review. My verbal scores were around 10-11's. My BS were 10-11's and my PS were 8-9's. I'm just hoping that I didn't bomb verbal because it was brutal and easily the hardest section on my test.

i really hope so... again I don't I will get less than an 11 in both sciences (feel like a 12 in bio is what I should get) but verbal can be anywhere from 5-8 (simply because i made a LOT of guesses) so it all depends on that ..
I SWEAR me and u are just in the same little boat of verbal anxiety. It would be a pleasant surprise if I got anything above an 8 on Verbal. And by pleasant I mean the curve was out of this world.

I SWEAR me and u are just in the same little boat of verbal anxiety. It would be a pleasant surprise if I got anything above an 8 on Verbal. And by pleasant I mean the curve was out of this world.

Haha trueee... Its all about how many of our guesses turn out to be correct .. (like 1 in 250 is my chance of getting above an 8)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha trueee... Its all about how many of our guesses turn out to be correct .. (like 1 in 250 is my chance of getting above an 8)

I feel your pain here. My average for verbal on my practice tests was only a 7! No matter what I do, I just can't score double digits in verbal!!

I feel everyone's pain about the amount of guesses. When I took the test, I didn't think about how many guesses I was making. I was too tired and just wanted to get it over with. Now I realize I probably should have voided. I was hitting a 32 average but I'm thinking I probably got 4-6 points less than that. Oh well! Good thing I have a steady job and am not applying this year.

you're awesome ! :highfive:

are you still working full-time?

;) I've got faith in you!! I am, but this is my last week! Hopefully everything will turn out ok with the job change, and hoping I will not be needing to retake. How's starting up the new gig going?

;) I've got faith in you!! I am, but this is my last week! Hopefully everything will turn out ok with the job change, and hoping I will not be needing to retake. How's starting up the new gig going?

it's tiring to be honest.. and always thinking about the MCAT, transcripts, referees, ECs doesn't help !! I don't know if I should start studying again or just work on my app and submit it before starting again lol

niice !! fingers crosseedd I'm very very very very positive that you won't need to retake it !!

Hey guys, took the MCAT 31st test, and wow I feel..ehhh. PS was tough especially a couple passages. Verbal I didn't mind too bad, and BS was so-so. I know I missed two questions on the same topic. Which was dumb of me, and that's when i stopped looking up past questions because I would doubt myself if the question was asking something else. Taking Ecology right now and while finishing my app.

it's tiring to be honest.. and always thinking about the MCAT, transcripts, referees, ECs doesn't help !! I don't know if I should start studying again or just work on my app and submit it before starting again lol

niice !! fingers crosseedd I'm very very very very positive that you won't need to retake it !!

I hope so... It sure doesn't feel like it! And I know what you mean, my head is preoccupied with thoughts of my personal statement, app, etc. couldn't fall asleep last night because I kept coming up with different introductory paragraphs for my PS. I'm having the WORST time coming up with something that isn't boring but is relevant

I hope so... It sure doesn't feel like it! And I know what you mean, my head is preoccupied with thoughts of my personal statement, app, etc. couldn't fall asleep last night because I kept coming up with different introductory paragraphs for my PS. I'm having the WORST time coming up with something that isn't boring but is relevant
There are some sample essays on this website. A user on SDN passed me this link last year. I don't really know if these are considered good essays or bad but it served as a start for me for I had no clue even how to begin.........

http://www.accepted.com/medical/sampleessays.aspx

There are some sample essays on this website. A user on SDN passed me this link last year. I don't really know if these are considered good essays or bad but it served as a start for me for I had no clue even how to begin.........

http://www.accepted.com/medical/sampleessays.aspx

Thanks man... I'm having difficulty with PS biig time...

have you guys contacted any private companies that help with this? There is one here (affiliated with Kaplan) .. i will most likely contact them once I have a draft ready....

Awesome ! Do you know if they still do it? I heard from a few people here that they will accept it if you give it to them wayyy before hand (like months in advance or something) and not during peak time.... any success stories?
That I really don't know. I haven't contacted any in that list. And there are only a few listings for 2014, so I understand your dilemma. But you might wanna post this question in the MCAT discussions thread and see if you get any responses.....

That I really don't know. I haven't contacted any in that list. And there are only a few listings for 2014, so I understand your dilemma. But you might wanna post this question in the MCAT discussions thread and see if you get any responses.....

Agreed. Many thanks.

Have you submitted your app? What are you upto these days?

Nah. My doomsday is 07/02. Feeling s*** scared. Working and studying in the evenings.....that's my life.....:)

I feel your pain man.... But im pretty sure you can handle it... A lot of my friends are also writing it on that date... Good luck :)

Although I've been occasionally shadowing a podiatrist, I wish I had more to do to occupy my time. This past week waiting felt like the whole 30 days..I'm already done with my PS..I had my mentor who just started her residency read it and she said it was very touching and she thinks its going to be received really well by admission committees. So I'm going to try to find others to proofread it for me so I can go ahead and upload that to my app. Going to send transcripts this week, working on EC's, using the same committee letter from my pre med dept that I used in the 2012 cycle, and getting 2 professors and 2 of the doctors I shadowed to write one as well. Research is going to be the most basic part of my entire app but oh well. Never really knew how important it was for regular MD til now, I thought it was just important for MD/MPH or PhD students. I wish I could go ahead and submit to one school then add the rest when I get my score back but that one school will see my old score and I definitely don't need them to see that disaster.

SN: May 8th'ers its almost about that time for y'all to get y'all shine on tomorrow

Last edited:
Yeah... so scared. I don't even want to open that page, but then on the other hand I can't wait to see my score... no matter what it is.

Scores usually come out around 2-3 right? Going out on the lake with some friends around noon so hopefully I'll get back and they'll be there. My post-test calm has been wearing off the past couple days. Starting to doubt the feeling that I hit my average but I'll post here once I find out.

Yeah... so scared. I don't even want to open that page, but then on the other hand I can't wait to see my score... no matter what it is.

i'm pretty sure you did well Kasia but the feeling is totally understandable...

the worst part imo is when all of your friends (and parents) are waiting to know your score too ! like I can handle my score somehow and just remain calm but dunno what to say to everyone around me ... sometimes i wish i told them that I voided it lol

Reactions: 2 users
Hows everyone doing? I took a week (or a little more I guess) off from EVERYTHING, including my application, which I intended to get in by tomorrow but I think I will have to settle for by the end of the week. I am trying my best to not think about how the test went at all, and its getting easier every day, I feel like my score could be anywhere between 20 and 30, anything below 26 and I will be pretty devastated but I am trying to tell myself no matter what it is ok! I REALLY do not want to take the damn thing again, but I will do what I have to.

i'm pretty sure you did well Kasia but the feeling is totally understandable...

the worst part imo is when all of your friends (and parents) are waiting to know your score too ! like I can handle my score somehow and just remain calm but dunno what to say to everyone around me ... sometimes i wish i told them that I voided it lol

Exactly! Everyone's been asking me if I have my score yet! It's so annoying.

So I had this horrible dream that I bombed the MCAT. It felt so real man, I was so devastated and was crying. I was so relieved when I woke up. They need to do away with this 30 day wait. Its not fair that other tests such as the DAT and PCAT, receive their scores immediately after the test. I actually wouldn't mind waiting up to a week, but 30 days to wait for something so important for your future career is too much IMO. We are put through the most just to be able to be a humanitarian. Its weird.

Reading through the May 8th MCAT post, I am as nervous for them as I would be if it were my test results. Idk why I am feeling like this though. Probably because of their messed up PS section too and to see how forgiving the curve is.

Man, I'm getting so anxious today. Everyone keeps texting or calling me to see what I got. Everyone has this grand expectation that I'm gonna get a 35 or a really high score and I'm here super nervous that I got low to mid 20s..,..I dreamt that my score was in the teens last night....

Although I've been occasionally shadowing a podiatrist, I wish I had more to do to occupy my time. This past week waiting felt like the whole 30 days..I'm already done with my PS..I had my mentor who just started her residency read it and she said it was very touching and she thinks its going to be received really well by admission committees. So I'm going to try to find others to proofread it for me so I can go ahead and upload that to my app. Going to send transcripts this week, working on EC's, using the same committee letter from my pre med dept that I used in the 2012 cycle, and getting 2 professors and 2 of the doctors I shadowed to write one as well. Research is going to be the most basic part of my entire app but oh well. Never really knew how important it was for regular MD til now, I thought it was just important for MD/MPH or PhD students. I wish I could go ahead and submit to one school then add the rest when I get my score back but that one school will see my old score and I definitely don't need them to see that disaster.

SN: May 8th'ers its almost about that time for y'all to get y'all shine on tomorrow

What do you think of podiatrist? I'm thinking of finding one just in case my DO route doesn't work out..

Man, I'm getting so anxious today. Everyone keeps texting or calling me to see what I got. Everyone has this grand expectation that I'm gonna get a 35 or a really high score and I'm here super nervous that I got low to mid 20s..,..I dreamt that my score was in the teens last night....

^ my life story

holy **** .. there are a few high 30s and the rest scored noticeably below their average (and their aamc avg was similar to mine) holy **** im gonna start studying now :scared:

holy **** .. there are a few high 30s and the rest scored noticeably below their average (and their aamc avg was similar to mine) holy **** im gonna start studying now :scared:

Yea I was hoping that everyone's scores were going to make me feel better... that was wishful thinking.

Have hope guys. I literally thought I was gonna do terrible and ended up way above my average