May 2014 MCATers United

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All 2014 MCATers, please unite!

Regardless of when in May you are planning to take the MCAT, let's all join this thread to keep each other informed about our progress, motivate each other, share FL scores, and to answer each other's questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just need a way to get this verbal thing under control. This screwed me a little on my SATs too (a 550). My plan was September to November, whenever I felt confident.

Im with you man... I have to bring my VR from a 7 to 10 !! We will be finee ;)

Didn't you take it on the 31st? How do you know your score already? (Or am I just in a forgetful trance?)

Haha yes i took it on may 31st... Im pretty sure I get 6-7 on verbal based on my practice scores... Thats where i am currently

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, do any of u know if I can go ahead and send my transcripts in before I submit my application? I can't remember if you have to send them when u submit or not.

Hey guys, do any of u know if I can go ahead and send my transcripts in before I submit my application? I can't remember if you have to send them when u submit or not.

You need to send those ASAP. They can't even verify your application until they have your transcript

Even if I'm not sending my app in until next month? I can go ahead and send my transcripts?

Yes. You have to take into account the time it takes for your school to actually send the transcript, the time it takes for amcas to receive it, and then process it. It'll take a couple weeks so you should send it now to be safe

Ya go ahead and send it. I sent mine as soon as the spring semester ended in May and it was fine. It is better to send now than with your amcas application.

Even if I'm not sending my app in until next month? I can go ahead and send my transcripts?

Yes, send your transcripts immediately. I will explain in more detail below, but if you don't read anything else, send your transcripts today if possible.

Yes. You have to take into account the time it takes for your school to actually send the transcript, the time it takes for amcas to receive it, and then process it. It'll take a couple weeks so you should send it now to be safe

It will probably take 2 weeks for your last transcript to arrive at AMCAS if you request them all today (if you only have 1 or 2 it might be faster). Two weeks from now, based on current speed, AMCAS will be marking your transcripts as received in about 3 weeks (1 week +/- from when your last transcript arrived at AMCAS). When all are marked as recieved AND you have submitted (you can submit before they all get there if you are done, which I recommend, as this will speed up the process slightly as far as no delay between them arriving and your application joining the queue) then your application gets put "Ready for review." It will be approximately 2-4 weeks after your application is ready for review (and as much as 6) before it is processed by AMCAS. This means that if you submit your application today or any time between now and when your transcripts arrive in 1-2 weeks, you will probably be looking at it being reviewed and complete in a minimum of 5 weeks, maximum of 2 months.

Ya go ahead and send it. I sent mine as soon as the spring semester ended in May and it was fine. It is better to send now than with your amcas application.

I don't want to scare you, but you need to get the transcripts in right away because of the chain of events that have to happen in sequence and cannot all occur at once. It's a frustrating system sometimes, but it's the way it works.

1. Request all transcripts ASAP (today if possible)
2. Finish your application and submit it prior to your last transcript arriving at AMCAS
3. Work on LORs after those two are completed (you can request them earlier but they are not required to submit unlike the transcripts).
4. Start pre-writing secondary apps that you are expecting to get back from schools. Most do not change very much each cycle if at all so you can find the questions asked on many schools' websites or on this forum.

Is anyone else surprised at how fast time is flying between taking the mcat and now?? Jeez I feel like I literally took it yesterday and June is almost over!!! This is crazy!

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else surprised at how fast time is flying between taking the mcat and now?? Jeez I feel like I literally took it yesterday and June is almost over!!! This is crazy!

It's been exactly the opposite for me - maybe because you are having good time these days... I officially started studying again (while working full-time which sucks) so time is not flying fast at all

It's been exactly the opposite for me - maybe because you are having good time these days... I officially started studying again (while working full-time which sucks) so time is not flying fast at all

Yeah... I've been meaning to study, but stuff keeps coming up like graduations and weddings and I haven't had time. Sorry you have to work full-time through this... I know how bad it sucks. Also, I'm really regretting not requesting transcripts sooner because they are taking FOREVER, even from my home university. Requested them June 4th and they still haven't gotten to AACOMAS yet. Also lost on my personal statement. I'll probably spend all weekend trying to get that perfected once and for all because all the feedback I'm getting varies so much.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not really, probably because I think about it everyday. I go between ups and downs thinking about my score. Haha I need to find things to do to keep myself occupied.

Not really, probably because I think about it everyday. I go between ups and downs thinking about my score. Haha I need to find things to do to keep myself occupied.

For some reason I've gotten over the anxiety of getting my score back, maybe just because it feels like a distant thing of the past. Luckily I will be working the day before I get my score and at a wedding during the days leading up to that. Now all the stress has transferred to the actual application, personal statements, and other preparations. Trying to figure out what in the world I will do if I do badly or if I keep having issues with getting my transcripts. My school I studied abroad at JUST sent my transcripts... *sigh*.

For some reason I've gotten over the anxiety of getting my score back, maybe just because it feels like a distant thing of the past. Luckily I will be working the day before I get my score and at a wedding during the days leading up to that. Now all the stress has transferred to the actual application, personal statements, and other preparations. Trying to figure out what in the world I will do if I do badly or if I keep having issues with getting my transcripts. My school I studied abroad at JUST sent my transcripts... *sigh*.

Good that you are keeping yourself busy. I am not taking summer classes, no job and already submitted my application. haha I got a lot of time to be thinking about the MCAT :/.
Ya its good you are sending your transcripts in before your app. That's always a good thing. It does take a while though for the schools to send and AMCAS to mark it as received.

Yeah... I've been meaning to study, but stuff keeps coming up like graduations and weddings and I haven't had time. Sorry you have to work full-time through this... I know how bad it sucks. Also, I'm really regretting not requesting transcripts sooner because they are taking FOREVER, even from my home university. Requested them June 4th and they still haven't gotten to AACOMAS yet. Also lost on my personal statement. I'll probably spend all weekend trying to get that perfected once and for all because all the feedback I'm getting varies so much.

lol the only thing I have done so far is sending my transcripts .. i started thinking about my personal statement (yay took the first step) and read like around 10-12 essays to get an idea... I will have to start writing it .. i have been studying.. 80% of the time just verbal .. but it's very frustrating

i was happy that i didn't have to think about my score since I did so poorly but stupid me is waiting for a miracle to happen .. after reading the few people here who avged 32 and got 35s i keep telling myself can I be one of those peoplee?? and that makes me think about my score more than I want and I know i will be disappointed cause the chances of that happening to anyone is pretty slim .. so yeah and then I try to distract myself ..

12 more days?

Tell me about it, everyday I wake up and feel plenty of time left however I just realized we have two weeks before our mcat score comes out :oops:

lol the only thing I have done so far is sending my transcripts .. i started thinking about my personal statement (yay took the first step) and read like around 10-12 essays to get an idea... I will have to start writing it .. i have been studying.. 80% of the time just verbal .. but it's very frustrating

i was happy that i didn't have to think about my score since I did so poorly but stupid me is waiting for a miracle to happen .. after reading the few people here who avged 32 and got 35s i keep telling myself can I be one of those peoplee?? and that makes me think about my score more than I want and I know i will be disappointed cause the chances of that happening to anyone is pretty slim .. so yeah and then I try to distract myself ..

12 more days?

Same man. I sometimes feel somehow I will get lucky and score in a good 30+ range. But if only I was that lucky in reality..

And didnt realize it is in 12 days. The moment of truth.

Same man. I sometimes feel somehow I will get lucky and score in a good 30+ range. But if only I was that lucky in reality..

And didnt realize it is in 12 days. The moment of truth.

I also feel the same way, although my average wasn't as high as most of u but I am hoping for a miracle as well :D

1 more weeekkkkkk!

Lol so, I just got fed up with my transcripts taking so long and double checked my order from my university one more time to see if they had sent it, and realized that I sent them to the wrong address!!! Ughhhh

1 more weeekkkkkk!

Lol so, I just got fed up with my transcripts taking so long and double checked my order from my university one more time to see if they had sent it, and realized that I sent them to the wrong address!!! Ughhhh

Can't believe we get our scores in a week... not that I am looking forward to it..

Starting to study again does make me feel better !

Posted this in the may 22nd thread but did most of my pre mcatting over in this thread so thought I'd update yall!

Test Date: 5/22/14
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score: 32 ( 10 PS /11 V /11 BS)
Comments: Extremely excited about this score. I took the Kaplan class and used only their materials and couldn't have done it without that. I set out at the end of January with the goal for a 32 and it feels so good to get exactly that. My first full length on March 1st I made a 23, so I am more than happy with where I ended up at

Reactions: 7 users
Posted this in the may 22nd thread but did most of my pre mcatting over in this thread so thought I'd update yall!

Comments: Extremely excited about this score. I took the Kaplan class and used only their materials and couldn't have done it without that. I set out at the end of January with the goal for a 32 and it feels so good to get exactly that. My first full length on March 1st I made a 23, so I am more than happy with where I ended up at

Congratulations SECrazorhogs :D :D :D

OMG!! Congratulation!!!!

YESSSSSS :banana::highfive:

Seven more days... reminds me of The Ring. :eek: I can't believe we'll know by this time next week. Hoping for a good outcome for all of us! :xf:

I remember a few months ago looking at these threads, can't believe we already wrote the MCAT and will be getting our scores now... wow !

I remember a few months ago looking at these threads, can't believe we already wrote the MCAT and will be getting our scores now... wow !

Seriously! This month has been a blur, especially between taking the exam, recuperating (cookie hunting and lounging about), and working on submitting my primary. It's been difficult to get enough motivation to work on secondaries, as so much is still uncertain.

Seriously! This month has been a blur, especially between taking the exam, recuperating (cookie hunting and lounging about), and working on submitting my primary. It's been difficult to get enough motivation to work on secondaries, as so much is still uncertain.

Well at least you got things done :D I still haven't finished my personal statement ... i know for sure that I have to retake so I thought there is no point in submitting my app now..

Well at least you got things done :D I still haven't finished my personal statement ... i know for sure that I have to retake so I thought there is no point in submitting my app now..

I am also expecting the worst, particularly after what I know was an abysmal performance on PS (maybe I managed to guess really well? Gah!) Who knows with the other sections, at this point. Honestly, this last month has been a roller coaster of emotion -- I've been oscillating between desperately hopeful and completely dejected.

Keep chipping away at the app, though -- you really never know, you might be eagerly submitting as soon as you see your score.

I am also expecting the worst, particularly after what I know was an abysmal performance on PS (maybe I managed to guess really well? Gah!) Who knows with the other sections, at this point. Honestly, this last month has been a roller coaster of emotion -- I've been oscillating between desperately hopeful and completely dejected.

Keep chipping away at the app, though -- you really never know, you might be eagerly submitting as soon as you see your score.

true, im expecting my score to be somewhere from 25 to a 35 lol

yeah im working on PS (like an hour every night) and got my transcripts submitted, still need to do activities and finalize PS....

I took the May 22nd Test. My scores were below my practice test and exactly = to my very first practice test. Yikes! Anyone had this experience too?

I took the May 22nd Test. My scores were below my practice test and exactly = to my very first practice test. Yikes! Anyone had this experience too?

Sorry to hear that man but don't be discouraged, just retake soon and im sure you will get close to your AAMC avg.

I hope that doesn't happen to me cause my first practice test was 26??

Yes I just posted in the May 2014 thread but I am in the same boat. I scored about 7 points below my average FL and am completely astounded as to how my performance was so poor.

No? Tomorrow perhaps (26th)

Not sure if they considered mine a good effort lol i guessed on all of the questions

You're right,it's tomorrow. Thanks Anonymous :) Stress is getting to me,I got my day and times mixed up!
Haha,I took 7 min to complete that section,only did it because of the incentive Amazon gift card :)

You're right,it's tomorrow. Thanks Anonymous :) Stress is getting to me,I got my day and times mixed up!
Haha,I took 7 min to complete that section,only did it because of the incentive Amazon gift card :)

Haha so we probably wont get the gift card lol

6more days til we get our actual scoressss

Haha so we probably wont get the gift card lol

6more days til we get our actual scoressss

Is the gift card a measure of how well we performed on the trial section?I thought they sent $30 gift card regardless of your scores :/ please correct me if I am wrong...

Time flies by so fast,seems like we just took the exam and now a month has passed... Have u been able to sleep well??? Or like me you're having nightmares about the score??? Haha

Is the gift card a measure of how well we performed on the trial section?I thought they sent $30 regardless of your scores :/ please correct me if I am wrong...

Time flies by so fast,seems like we just took the exam and not a month has passed... Have u been able to sleep well??? Or like me you're having nightmares about the score??? Haha

Not based on score but i believe they have some way of knowing if we really tried or not (like, ending a section after 10 minutes is not a good indicator lol)

Ive been sleeping well haha ive started studying and i know for surw that i have to rewrite for verbal so its not like my life depends on this score now, obviously im nervous as hell but i kinda know how i did and im not counting on it.... Ill be retaking it on july24th

Not based on score but i believe they have some way of knowing if we really tried or not (like, ending a section after 10 minutes is not a good indicator lol)

Ive been sleeping well haha ive started studying and i know for surw that i have to rewrite for verbal so its not like my life depends on this score now, obviously im nervous as hell but i kinda know how i did and im not counting on it.... Ill be retaking it on july24th

I hope none of us have to retake it but if we do won't be the end of the world (like you suggested).
And I really hope somehow magically my 7 mins changes to 27mins so I can get my gift card. Lmao!