Match 2014 Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then why did you go into medicine in the first place? :slap:

Seriously, you should have thought harder about choosing a specialty. You have amazing scores. I am in awe, as an IQ of 140 would be to an IQ of 180. I sincerely hope you will be as appreciated in this career as you probably deserve.

good god posts like this get old. guy says that he couldnt picture himself doing anything else and you still rag on him? maybe the thought of looking at actinic keratosis and acne for the next 40 years makes him want to blow his brains out. Maybe doing 8 million knees and 8 million shoulders and having to run a clinic makes him want to throw up. If you love your job youll never work a day in your life. Find a specialty that you like and go for it. Dont let the usmle dictate which specialty youre allowed to enjoy.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Table up, table down. "The doctors are waiting on you."

That will make you blow your brains out much faster.

Reactions: 1 user
Because, with that CV, s/he could have done almost anything.

I have tremendous respect for his/her medical knowledge and passion, but I feel sorry for the book-smart type of decision-making. One should do what one enjoys the most... as long as society appreciates it.

RRTinCO deserves better than what an anesthesia career is going to offer. And this probably applies to all (future) anesthesia residents.

If there are that many people who score 280 nowadays, maybe the USMLE should be rewritten. But I somehow doubt that's the case.

Congratulations to all who matched! Enjoy your bachelor party. You have no idea what you got yourself into. :D
FFP, are you bitter because you're not smart enough to do anything else? Aww poor baby.

Remember, this is SDN.
This. For future applicants reading this please keep in mind that the mean step I score of matched applicants in anesthesia is in the mid-220s. While some people may have phenomenally high scores, the fact remains that most do not. Take heart!

Anybody know if we're allowed to discuss unfilled programs now that the results are out in the R3 system?

Some interesting stuff in there.

Anybody know if we're allowed to discuss unfilled programs now that the results are out in the R3 system?

I don't see why no. Does that info reflect pre- or post soap spots?

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know the rules. But someone made the mistake of posting the list during SOAP last year, which was clearly not supposed to be done.

With that said, I would be interested in where the spots were open if you have the list.

Pretty sure disclosing the list of unfilled programs is a match violation unfortunately. Section 4.2 of the policies for applicants.
http://www.nrmp.org/policies/match-participation-agreements-and-policies/

I believe you meant section 4.3 on page 16...

For the lazy:

"4.3 Restrictions on Use of Match Information
Communication between unmatched applicants and programs with
unfilled positions shall be governed by Section 7.0 of this Agreement.
Matched applicants and programs may not contact each other prior to the
general announcement of Main Residency Match results at 1:00 p.m.
eastern time on Friday of Match Week.
It is a violation of this Agreement if any applicant or program shares any
Match information from the R3 system, including but not limited to,
information from the List of Unfilled Programs and Regional Match
Statistics, with any individual who is not registered for the Match or allows
an individual who is not registered for the Match to use the registrant’s
unique code number and password to access the R3 system to obtain
Match information. In addition, it is a violation of this Agreement if any
Match information from the R3 system, including information from the List
of Unfilled Programs and Regional Match Statistics, is distributed or
posted by any applicant or program to any web site or non- NRMP-related
matching plan.
If the NRMP initiates a violation investigation, it shall
follow the procedures set forth in Section 8.0 of this Agreement."

I thought that information was no longer protected after the SOAP ended on Thursday evening?

I thought that information was no longer protected after the SOAP ended on Thursday evening?

I want to believe it's fair at this point because I'd love to see the list of unfilled programs, but based on what I pulled from that NRMP document, it doesn't say whether or not that applies only during the SOAP period.

Yes I meant section 4.3, thanks. Y'all can do whatever you want, that's just all that I was able to find.

I want to believe it's fair at this point because I'd love to see the list of unfilled programs, but based on what I pulled from that NRMP document, it doesn't say whether or not that applies only during the SOAP period.
Hmmm tricky. The data will get published next month. Maybe we can discuss away then.

So these decent programs that didnt fill their spots in the match, do they have to put their spots in the SOAP or can they just call someone they didnt rank that they might now be interested in? Is it common place for programs to only rank a few candidates?

there's a PDF of the match results by state on the R3 site right now, is that what we're talking about? bc that's showing most places filled, including many of the ones mentioned already in this thread... I might just be confused

And you went into Anesthesia? :slap:
Most of us with 280s have to settle for Anesthesia FFP. I was too wrapped up in going out drinking to hit that 290s mark and get into an investment banking residency.

Congrats to all of you! Enjoy the moment!

Now... Table UP b!tches!!

Reactions: 2 users
there's a PDF of the match results by state on the R3 site right now, is that what we're talking about? bc that's showing most places filled, including many of the ones mentioned already in this thread... I might just be confused
I think you're confused. As far as I can tell, nobody has listed info about specific unfilled positions on this thread. People have listed where they matched.

I think you're confused. As far as I can tell, nobody has listed info about specific unfilled positions on this thread. People have listed where they matched.
then what is the PDF that's on R3 right now? under "my reports" it has a pdf of the match results, but it shows the programs that Arch mentioned as being filled (most of them anyway)

then what is the PDF that's on R3 right now? under "my reports" it has a pdf of the match results, but it shows the programs that Arch mentioned as being filled (most of them anyway)
Right, the PDF on R3 is the list of programs...that we are apparently prohibited from discussing by NRMP. It looks like Arch is posting where people have matched. Two separate things going on here.

Arch is just relaying where different people matched and what position those places were on their ROLs. So, it makes sense that if folks matched into those programs, then those programs must be filled.

I think the lists that Arch is posting are the anesthesia matches from the first listed school (i.e. Upenn matched students at Michigan, Penn, Brigham, and MGH)

Arch is just relaying where different people matched and what position those places were on their ROLs. So, it makes sense that if folks matched into those programs, then those programs must be filled.
This is untrue. Programs can of course match some but not all of their slots.

oh gotcha, thanks for the clarification. so there's a pdf we can all see but can't talk about. that's interesting

oh gotcha, thanks for the clarification. so there's a pdf we can all see but can't talk about. that's interesting

I believe that pdf is post-SOAP. What we aren't supposed to discuss is which programs had spots empty pre-SOAP.

I was SOAP eligible this year (applied, withdrew pre-match). I saw the SOAP available spots when they first came up on monday and can confirm that the pdf is actually PRE-soap.

Damn man, is anesthesia really that unbearable?
Every word of my post aside from "congrats" was sarcastic.

The overall direction that anesthesia is going is negative. That doesn't mean it's unbearable or won't improve in the future.

For the MS4s who matched... Don't go looking into switching residencies if anesthesia is really what you want to do. Unless, of course, that opportunity involves investment banking.

Every word of my post aside from "congrats" was sarcastic.

The overall direction that anesthesia is going is negative. That doesn't mean it's unbearable or won't improve in the future.

For the MS4s who matched... Don't go looking into switching residencies if anesthesia is really what you want to do. Unless, of course, that opportunity involves investment banking.
The grass is not always greener on the investment banking side. Not everyone here is even smart enough to get into that. If you are, you may get paid well, but remember that Wall Street is a cutthroat world and you can lose your job through no doing of your own.

As someone who nearly went in to anesthesia, I'm interested what people in the specialty make of categorical and advanced positions going unfilled at some big name places (BID, BW, and Cornell all had open positions) per the NRMP data released today.

Fluke, intentional choice (thinking/hoping they could pick up a stronger applicant in the SOAP), or indication it was much more of a buyer's market in anesthesia than in years past (e.g. programs didn't interview/build out their ROLs enough)?

This intrigued me as I was glancing through the data as you just don't see residency positions in any specialty at one of the Harvard affiliates (or any Ivy) go unfilled all that often.

The grass is not always greener on the investment banking side. Not everyone here is even smart enough to get into that. If you are, you may get paid well, but remember that Wall Street is a cutthroat world and you can lose your job through no doing of your own.
REALLY? So you CAN'T just show up on Wall Street and strike it rich? ;)

This has been brought up a million times on most "future of medicine" topics and is a running joke of sorts.

So is it good etiquette to write a thank you note to you PD for accepting you. I haven't heard anything from my program yet?

It's a running joke on this board.

It's a running joke on this board.
It may be a running joke on here, but I guess I don't read the thread frequently enough to know that. In real life, I do know plenty of physicians who believe things are rosier on the Wall Street side. As someone who has experience there, I know that is not the truth.

As someone who nearly went in to anesthesia, I'm interested what people in the specialty make of categorical and advanced positions going unfilled at some big name places (BID, BW, and Cornell all had open positions) per the NRMP data released today.

Fluke, intentional choice (thinking/hoping they could pick up a stronger applicant in the SOAP), or indication it was much more of a buyer's market in anesthesia than in years past (e.g. programs didn't interview/build out their ROLs enough)?

This intrigued me as I was glancing through the data as you just don't see residency positions in any specialty at one of the Harvard affiliates (or any Ivy) go unfilled all that often.

Sorry maybe I'm blind but where is this data? can't find it on the nrmp website.

It looks like the polar vortex affected the match results

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry maybe I'm blind but where is this data? can't find it on the nrmp website.

Those in this years match have access to the list via the "reports" section of the NRMP website. I'm guessing it will be released to the public shortly. Very interesting to see these spots left open in what everyone seems to be (possibly falsely) espousing as an increasingly competitive match across all specialties.

REALLY? So you CAN'T just show up on Wall Street and strike it rich? ;)

This has been brought up a million times on most "future of medicine" topics and is a running joke of sorts.

Bollocks, I had just watched the Wolf of Wall Street and I honestly thought I could literally just show up...

Reactions: 1 users