Can I match at top 30 program for anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cg97bm

Reaction score
I have average clerkship grades from a top 30 MD school, a 26x on step 2 and a research project that I am working on but have not published yet. Can I match at a top 30 anesthesia residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I have average clerkship grades from a top 30 MD school, a 26x on step 2 and a research project that I am working on but have not published yet. Can I match at a top 30 anesthesia residency?
Who knows and who cares? How will you're life change with that information?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing that you listed is going to prevent you from matching well. Based on what you've disclosed, you are in a boat with probably more than a thousand applicants across the country. Some will match great and others won't match at all.

As the application and match evaluation process becomes more and more subjective, which group you belong to will be based on a whole host of other things.

As the application and match evaluation process becomes more and more subjective, which group you belong to will be based on a whole host of other things.

Care to expand on this? Does it mean that more applicants are coming from similar schools with similar numbers? What are the “other things”? I’m curious to know what this means.

Nothing that you listed is going to prevent you from matching well. Based on what you've disclosed, you are in a boat with probably more than a thousand applicants across the country. Some will match great and others won't match at all.

SUBEJECTIVE.... "Whole host of other things" Pretty much says it all- read between the lines.

Care to expand on this? Does it mean that more applicants are coming from similar schools with similar numbers? What are the “other things”? I’m curious to know what this means.

To be clear...I feel that a candidate's political views, religion, sexual orientation, family plans during residency, and other matters that are really nobody's business are out of bounds and have no place in any sort of rank list decision. And as recent events make very clear, DEI based decision making can vary widely from state to state.

Apart from those hot topic items above...what I meant to say to the OP is that all candidates can expect to have common subjective factors like your letters or recommendation, personal statement, extracurricular activities, and your interview play significant roles in how programs view you as a potential resident. These are things that are somewhat within your control, and a candidate that does not take the time to address these parts of their application is putting themselves at a serious disadvantage to the ones that do.

Nimbus, what I meant by the process becoming more and more subjective is that it is simply becoming extremely difficult to tell candidates apart based on their medical school experiences. Things like schools that are entirely pass/fail, schools that give 90% of the class "honors" on rotations, USMLE Step 1 becoming pass/fail, students taking 6 weeks off to study for Step 2 are all things that are homogenizing the entire applicant pool to the point where it is very difficult to distinguish which students prioritized excelling at the tasks given to them in school and which students did the minimum to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
To be clear...I feel that a candidate's political views, religion, sexual orientation, family plans during residency, and other matters that are really nobody's business are out of bounds and have no place in any sort of rank list decision. And as recent events make very clear, DEI based decision making can vary widely from state to state.

Apart from those hot topic items above...what I meant to say to the OP is that all candidates can expect to have common subjective factors like your letters or recommendation, personal statement, extracurricular activities, and your interview play significant roles in how programs view you as a potential resident. This are things that are somewhat within your control, and a candidate that does not take the time to address these parts of their application is putting themselves at a serious disadvantage to the ones that do.

Nimbus, what I meant by the process becoming more and more subjective is that it is simply becoming extremely difficult to tell candidates apart based on their medical school experiences. Things like schools that are entirely pass/fail, schools that give 90% of the class "honors" on rotations, USMLE Step 1 becoming pass/fail, students taking 6 weeks off to study for Step 2 are all things that are homogenizing the entire applicant pool to the point where it is very difficult to distinguish which students prioritized excelling at the tasks given to them in school and which students did the minimum to pass.
Can I send you a direct message?