Masters Programs for admittance into podiatry programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goku-San

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am two years out of college. Have already graduated. With just below average MCAT scores and GPA (out of a 4.0 based system). My question is where should I go from here? I have not been in school due to working at a family business. I have applied to DPM programs and have had several interviews, although I was not accepted to any. It was recommended for me from one of the universities to take a masters program. Is this the route to go? Wayne State University, the closest university to me has a masters program in Basic Medical Sciences, although I would still go out of state to nearby schools such as Rosalind. Which already has a podiatry school. What are my options? Is going into a masters program a waste of time and money?

Members don't see this ad.

It's really hard tonsau without knowing your stats. Would you mind sharing your GPA and mcat score? Do you have good ECs?

In my opinion getting your masters degree is always a great way to improve not only your academic resume, but improve the way you look at medicine and your entire future career all together. I can tell you first hand that after finishing my MPH at MSU I not only felt more confident in my academic resume but I felt extremely more informed and well rounded as a future medical student. I do believe my masters really helped me land the interviews I had, as well as an acceptance to my #1 school.

Only other thing I can see from your post, is the fact you were offered multiple interviews without an acceptance. This leads me to believe that they liked what they saw on paper but something during your actual interview gave them a different opinion. I would step back and analyze how you prepared for the interviews, as well as any red flags that may have occurred during the interview day itself. Did you take advantage of the interview feedback in the SDN resource section or take an opportunity to do a mock interview in front of a family or friend?

My advice is to decide how much time you are giving yourself in terms of your academic schedule. If you are dead set on starting school as soon as possible then I would really focus on your interview techniques and what you could have possibly done wrong. However, if you are okay with taking a few years off then I would 100% apply to a masters program that interests you and one that can better help you in the future, this gives you an opportunity to shine and prove you can knock out a stellar graduate GPA.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask me any questions! Looks like your from the Southeast Detroit area too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We need to know more. Along with actual stats we need to know when you applied and where. If you applied to DMU and Azpod at the last minute that's one thing. If you applied to Kent, Ohio, Temple, and Scholl in October and didn't get any acceptance then you may have a problem.

I would be in no rush to get a masters just yet - that's a lot of money to spend without really understanding why you haven't had any success so far. In addition, I'm personally of the opinion that your masters should actually be something you care about or would be willing to do.

When considering a Masters you need to think about a couple things. Are you willing to delay starting a pod program for 2 years to finish or would you be willing to walk away and leave the money you spent on the Masters if say you were accepted next year? Also, I have been told many times during my academic life that Masters in biomedical or basic medical sciences are worthless in the real world, however they would allow you to boost your science classes and receive financial aid if you need it... I obtained a Masters in Public Health and it may have helped with admissions, I know it should help in my career, but you need to consider is it worth the added debt or would a few upper division science classes help you alone gain that admission...you can always talk to the admissions people at the schools, see why you weren't accepted and see if they provide any other insight to improve next year. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Barry University has a Biomedical Master's program. Their graduates go on to med/dental/pod/opt/vet schools. Some of their professors are also on the POD school faculty. The biochem professor for both programs is involved in admissions. If you have the stats and are willing to put off a year (possibly two depending on your stats) then that's certainly an option. It is an even more attractive option if you want to go to Barry Pod. However, if your stats are good enough and you're an MCAT score away, then you're probably better off prepping for that score and saving a lot of money in doing so. Do all that now to apply early.

So, I am two years out of college. Have already graduated. With just below average MCAT scores and GPA (out of a 4.0 based system). My question is where should I go from here? I have not been in school due to working at a family business. I have applied to DPM programs and have had several interviews, although I was not accepted to any. It was recommended for me from one of the universities to take a masters program. Is this the route to go? Wayne State University, the closest university to me has a masters program in Basic Medical Sciences, although I would still go out of state to nearby schools such as Rosalind. Which already has a podiatry school. What are my options? Is going into a masters program a waste of time and money?

1- We need to know your stats. You got interviews so surely they weren't that bad. But without a GPA or MCAT to go off of, we can't really give you accurate advice

2- From personal experience- I graduated undergrad with mediocre to low GPA (3.29 and 2.9 sgpa). I had two choices- A) Take a year off to destroy my MCAT while working/shadowing, or B) Do a Master's while getting the required MCAT score and shadowing. I chose to do a 2 years Masters (2nd semester now) and I don't regret it at all. It got me out of my comfort zone (moved to a completely different city) and forced me to really work for what I wanted.

Personally I knew staying in my hometown and taking the year off, I'd be way too comfortable. I'd be way too unmotivated after graduating with mediocre stats and living in the same town. So I took a risk, took on part time jobs and a bunch of loans, and it taught me SO much more than staying put. Is it easy? Hell no. Did it light a fire under my butt? Definitely. Again this doesn't work for everyone. But if you DO do a Master's, take it seriously. Treat like a second chance of showing the admissions you have what it takes to discipline yourself and make better grades. Use that Masters to tell them that you can be successful in their program.

A Masters will can only help you. The good thing about a Masters is you can do a thesis (M.S.) track or non-thesis (M.A.) track. I am currently pursuing my M.S. in Biology and will follow it with a PhD. You have to be dedicated though if you choose the thesis track. I have a full tuition waiver and an annual stipend (I am a GRA). Most M.S. students do not get that opportunity and have to take out loans. So make sure you understand if you do a masters it is 2 years of loans for most. Unless you find a 1 year program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to respond to my problem. I really appreciate the community on this site.

MCAT 22
GPA 3.0
SGPA 2.6

I understand my grades are below average. Although I can truthfully say that working at my family's business was the biggest down fall on my academics. It is no excuse for poor grades.

Thank you again for your time. I sincerely appreciate it.

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to respond to my problem. I really appreciate the community on this site.

MCAT 22
GPA 3.0
SGPA 2.6

I understand my grades are below average. Although I can truthfully say that working at my family's business was the biggest down fall on my academics. It is no excuse for poor grades.

Thank you again for your time. I sincerely appreciate it.

Sgpa is a bit on the low end. Generally want a 3.0 and above. Mcat will need to be 28-29 to offset the low gpa. In your case I think the Master's would be a great opportunity. There are some who say being a graduate student doesn't make a difference in the admission process but I believe it does, if you do WELL in it.

This does depend on a few things. Not sure how your finances are but at the graduate level I've only seen unsubsidized loans, maybe assistantships, and a bunch of part time jobs to offset the cost. Everyone's case is different but you'll most likely come out of the Master's with some debt. You'll also need to keep work to a minimum (I know your family's business is important...but your shot at pod school/your future is important-er at this stage) and really focus on your studies.

Think I'm forgetting something else but hope this helps. PM one of us if you've got more you want to know.

Last edited:
Sgpa is a bit on the low end. Generally want a 3.0 and above. Mcat will need to be 28-29 to offset the low gpa. In your case I think the Master's would be a great opportunity. There are some who say being a graduate student doesn't make a difference in the admission process but I believe it does, if you do WELL in it.

This does depend on a few things. Not sure how your finances are but at the graduate level I've only seen unsubsidized loans, maybe assistantships, and a bunch of part time jobs to offset the cost. Everyone's case is different but you'll most likely come out of the Master's with some debt. You'll also need to keep work to a minimum (I know your family's business is important...but your shot at pod school/your future is important-er at this stage) and really focus on your studies.

Think I'm forgetting something else but hope this helps. PM one of us if you've got more you want to know.

I agree with this. Most students take out loans. I was fortunate enough to be going to graduate school and have a professor decide to be my mentor who had just wrote, and got approved, a grant for research that had the funding for a graduate research assistant. It is definitely not the norm for a masters student.

I agree with this. Most students take out loans. I was fortunate enough to be going to graduate school and have a professor decide to be my mentor who had just wrote, and got approved, a grant for research that had the funding for a graduate research assistant. It is definitely not the norm for a masters student.

That's pretty sweet man. I had to cold approach a lot of professors because I was from a completely different city. Some had research grants, most didn't because the school was cutting down on them. I'm glad I bothered peeking into the research realm because I would've had no clue it worked like this and how cutthroat it is at times.

That's pretty sweet man. I had to cold approach a lot of professors because I was from a completely different city. Some had research grants, most didn't because the school was cutting down on them. I'm glad I bothered peeking into the research realm because I would've had no clue it worked like this and how cutthroat it is at times.

Indeed. A lot of people do not understand the competitiveness of research but man it gets pretty darn competitive lol

Hey thanks for your help, do you think that re-taking the new MCAT would be a viable option. I know the new MCAT is different. But would this be a better path to go to. Or should I continue with applying to masters programs. Thank you for your time

Hey thanks for your help, do you think that re-taking the new MCAT would be a viable option. I know the new MCAT is different. But would this be a better path to go to. Or should I continue with applying to masters programs. Thank you for your time

No prob. There's 2 ways I can see you doing this but regardless, the MCAT for sure needs to be retaken. For the new scale aim for a 500+. Even if you score a 497-499, it'll be a score you can still work with.

Now here's the part you have to decide for yourself. I'm just here to rephrase it so you can make a better decision.

1) How much do you like this next Master's program you're thinking of doing? Do you want it and think it'd legitimately help you, or is it something to pass the time/help you get into pod school?
2) How averse are you to considering redoing undergrad science courses at a community college level? Retaking courses you did bad in and getting As (key phrase here is getting As) is something I've heard a lot of admissions officers and school counselors repeat.

So to repeat. How bad do you want this Master's and is it something that genuinely interests you academically? And if you had the option, would you consider retaking science courses you did bad in undergrad (ochem 1,2, biochem 1, bio 1,2, A&P w-lab, micro/genetics/viro/immuno if offered) and getting ALL As in them? Because regardless, retaking the MCAT (in my opinion) needs to happen.

EDIT- I've decided not to factor in cost or convenience for the sake of you focusing on your decision and less on letting logistics cloud your vision. Because if YOU want it bad enough...you'd probably go and get it no matter how hard it is. You'd make it work either way.

Look into the MSU MS pharm and tox program.