Many People have come and Gone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am one of the next members to take a break from SDN. Not by choice but more by force. I have been removed from my moderator duties and stripped of my abilities to help this forum move forward. I will not go into the particulars here but it boils down to standing up for this forum and then getting into heated arguments with one other mod which has landed me on the demoted list. This is probably a big no no even to mention this but I feel it is everyones right to know what is going on to some degree here. Some things I will keep private for the sake of the SDN administrators who have removed me but I will say that I always stood up for you guys and gals and now I can say I did it to the bitter end.

Keep up the enthusiasm here. Venti is still your moderator and his hands are truely full now seeing as he is the last one remaining with the exception of the rare to be seen or heard from OldManDave. You guys and gals are most definitely going to have to deal with moderators from other specialties from here on out.

Members don't see this ad.

On behalf of this entire forum, I'd like to say that this really, really, really sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, this forum is dying unfortunately and it appears that there is nothing we can do to fix it.
Many people have left and I think it's time for me to follow too.
Good luck guys.

I am one of the next members to take a break from SDN. Not by choice but more by force. I have been removed from my moderator duties and stripped of my abilities to help this forum move forward.

Too bad. I always thought that you were very fair and level headed. Does that mean Jet is no longer a moderator? It was nice while it lasted...but then, I probably wasted too much time here anyway. The ones who will suffer are the students the forum was designed to help. SDN is apparently driving away all of the attendings who are willing to spend time here to answer student questions.

Let me guess, the forum will now be moderated by CRNAs due to AANA lobbying efforts:laugh:

Noy-

I'm actually quite interested in what went on, although I realize that it is already in the past. I did see on Jet's last post that he was an "advisor" not a mod. What gives?

It sounds a little bit "bleeding heart", but my story with SDN is long. I found it when looking to see if I should leave my great (previous) career to apply for medical school, and then used to to find which schools to apply to and how to study for the MCAT. Then used to prep for Step I, and now I use it to keep abreast with anesthesiology. But there is a palpable and obvious decline from my point of view. MANY of the regulars are gone or show up sparsely. There is (or is it "was"?) a real benefit and family feel to this place...but that has gone.

Why are mods being stripped? What can we do to get these guys back?

dc

Noy-

I'm actually quite interested in what went on, although I realize that it is already in the past. I did see on Jet's last post that he was an "advisor" not a mod. What gives?

Yes both Jet and I were removed. What gives? Well the mods and administrators in the other forums did not want us any longer.

well what happens if we don't like the administrators in other forums - do we have the same amount of pull?

plus i thought gasforums was a "partner" site of SDN - so how can they make decisions like this?

To both Noyac and PlanktonMD.

I know we do not see "eye to eye" on particular political issues but it would certainly be a tragedy to lose either of you. I hope you will reconsider.

I don't post on your threads much but I've been reading them since beginning med school and they've been hugely useful.

On my recent anesthesia clerkship, a number of clinical situations similar to those came up and it felt really good to be able to talk about them in an informed way. There's a lot here that you don't get from a book.

Thanks for your contributions, and I hope you'll reconsider leaving. Who cares what they think -- this isn't the best residency forum on SDN because of the moderation. It's the content and the community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry Noyac... These events to not seem to help the forum...

This is ridiculous. This forum has been super unique in that we've had a huge amount of attendings participate. Granted, I myself, can't add much for a few years (clinically speaking), but I sure as hell enjoy reading all of the posts.

Noy and Jet, I hope you guys can find a way back in. If not as mods, then as contributors from time to time.

To those considering leaving, please, for the sake of the med students and residents, hang in there. I don't want to see this forum lose so many valuable contributors.

cf

Reactions: 1 user
This is fcukin crap!!!!
I knew something was fishy when the forum changed from gasforum to anesthesiology a couple of days back. Plus regular contributors were not involved anymore.

I learned more from this web site than from my first year as a gas resident ( and i taught a bunch of attendings a thing or two thanks to you guys)

My generation sucks: it seems that every time you get on to something good it slips away before you know it...

I'd like to thank all the attendings that spent there precious time contributing to the education of us newbies. UT, Mil, Jet, Noy, Plank, Venty and of course zippy the funniest guy on sdn thanks a bunch, i was great while it lasted.

and a big F.U to all the motherf..ing trolls (outside moderators included)

R.I.P

This is ridiculous. This forum has been super unique in that we've had a huge amount of attendings participate. Granted, I myself, can't add much for a few years (clinically speaking), but I sure as hell enjoy reading all of the posts.

Noy and Jet, I hope you guys can find a way back in. If not as mods, then as contributors from time to time.

To those considering leaving, please, for the sake of the med students and residents, hang in there. I don't want to see this forum lose so many valuable contributors.

cf

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Above two posts reflect my sentiments exactly regarding this issue...I sure as hell hope that this forum isn't dying as so many of y'all are predicting. I know I haven't added much yet, but I have enjoyed the relatively little time I've spent in this forum and I hope things start to pick back up.

It's a f*&^ing shame that so many level-headed mods that care about the content and "family feel" (so to speak) of this site have been treated like s*&^. I hope that some of you guys that have left/been demoted/banned for life find a way to come back and restore this place to the apparently much better place it once was.

Peace out.

I hope people can keep it to relevant topics (clinical stuff, residency/fellowship questions, etc) and facts and leave personal and political debate elsewhere.

I hope people can keep it to relevant topics (clinical stuff, residency/fellowship questions, etc) and facts and leave personal and political debate elsewhere.

True that. Or else put that kind of garbage in the "burn bin" portion of this forum (by the way, where did that go?)

Sounds like censorship to me or that a particular group of nurses were afraid that we were turning up the heat a bit too much.

This will ultimately be decided in the OR. But we all need to keep the pressure the up and spread the message. I've been doing my part to inform as many people as I can about this issue.

There is nothing special or secret occurring here. After the year of having the SDN and Gasforums seperated, OMD, Vent and I felt it was appropriate to re-establish the relationship between SDN and the GasForums.

I would like to reassure everyone the following:

1. OMD and Vent are both full mods for the GasForums and on SDN.
  2. JPP has accepted a mod position for the GasForums and on SDN and will begin shortly.
  3. Vent nominated UTSouthwestern for moderatorship and he accepted. UTSW will begin in this position in a few weeks.
  4. One advisor was not extended moderator status on SDN but retains his advisor status here on the GasForums.

Despite cries of censorship, there is no change in how Vent, OMD or I are moderating the forum.

There is nothing special or secret occurring here. After the year of having the SDN and Gasforums seperated, OMD, Vent and I felt it was appropriate to re-establish the relationship between SDN and the GasForums.

I would like to reassure everyone the following:

1. OMD, Vent are both full mods for the GasForums and on SDN.
  2. JPP has accepted a mod position for the GasForums and on SDN.
  3. Vent nominated UTSouthwestern for moderatorship and he accepted. UTSW will begin in this position in a few weeks.
  4. One advisor was not extended moderator status on SDN but retains his advisor status here on the GasForums.

Despite cries of censorship, there is no change in how Vent, OMD or I are moderating the forum.

Since you will not answer my PM's maybe you will answer it here. What did I do that made you revoke my moderation status?

Dr. Burnett-

Thank you for being candid and prompt in your reply. I am eager to hear your response to Noy's question as well.

Would voting for the moderators be acceptable?

dc

i vote miltarymd

I don't know Lee but I have been around these forums a little while and he has always seemed to be very fair and even-handed in his dealings.

I accepted before reading this post. I will have to rethink this position. This forum benefits from the diversity of its visitors, minus the trolls, militants, and otherwise useless individuals that feel the need to interject inflammatory, antagonistic, or otherwise useless comments.

I do not care if the troll is a physician or not, they do not deserve special treatment regardless of their donor status.

Understand that if I take this position, I will be even less tolerant of the above.

I would love to just moderate educational content, but unlike other specialties' forums, the political issues of our specialty are dominant in our day to day life. If I am going to be second guessed about my actions, then I would rather not waste what precious little free time I have each day. I don't need to come home from a 3 heart day to deal with that and if I were to accept the job, I would want to put my full effort into doing the job the right way.

I accepted before reading this post. I will have to rethink this position. This forum benefits from the diversity of its visitors, minus the trolls, militants, and otherwise useless individuals that feel the need to interject inflammatory, antagonistic, or otherwise useless comments.

I do not care if the troll is a physician or not, they do not deserve special treatment regardless of their donor status.

Understand that if I take this position, I will be even less tolerant of the above.

I would love to just moderate educational content, but unlike other specialties' forums, the political issues of our specialty are dominant in our day to day life. If I am going to be second guessed about my actions, then I would rather not waste what precious little free time I have each day. I don't need to come home from a 3 heart day to deal with that and if I were to accept the job, I would want to put my full effort into doing the job the right way.

UT, you are without a doubt a great choice for moderator. But your decision I think is wise and well thought out. I tried to do just as you have described here and I was either ineffective or unappreciated by the other mods. As Botto mentioned, Lee has and is a very fair administrator. I have great respect for him. And the others here should feel secure with Lee as well. Vent is outstanding as well. I regret having to post this thread but I have always been candid with the members of this forum and I am not going to stop now. I unfortunately had to resort to this thread b/c Lee no longer will respond to my PM's. And all I ask is for an explanation.

I know I didnt post here much, but I lurked alot on this forum. I, even as an undergrad, learned alot from your posts.

You were a good moderator, and made this forum feel more like a group than any of the other forums on here.

Noyac, I did respond to your PMs. I detailed why I chose to not bring you on board as an SDN moderator again and it has nothing to do with your moderation at GasForums.

Please put this in perspective... we're talking about your ability to dole-out infraction points on a volunteer Internet forum. If someone is trolling, just tell Vent, JPP or OMD or me and we'll handle it for you.

I'm not going to bring you into the mod side on SDN. I just don't think this what you are best suited for; dealing with annoying BS.

Your greatest skill is in education and sharing of knowledge. Focus on that strength. You provide much more value through teaching and input on the GasForums than you ever can by handing-out infraction points and warnings.

I hope you choose to continue to share your expertise and insight on the GasForums. If you choose not to, it will be our loss.

Mostly a lurker here being a very naive med student at the moment, but I felt compelled to post. Having read these forums ad naueseum, I can safely say that Noyac has contributed more in terms of shaping this forum community than anyone else I've seen. It'd be a gross disservice to this forum to remove Noyac from a moderator position over SDN bureaucracy.

It may not seem like a big deal in terms of powers and responsibilities, but Noyac being a moderator symbolically reflects the enormous contributions he's made to this community. I can imagine this forum going downhill very quickly without people like Noyac around.

/End rant

i still vote military md. I still believe and of course he does too he is the best person for the job.

i still vote military md. I still believe and of course he does too he is the best person for the job.
MilitaryMD needs to let OMD or Vent know if he wants to be a volunteer. If they need help, they can nominate him to go through the mod training process.

I 'd like to nominate myself for moderator. I promise to be extremely heavy-handed with the murses and will ban all of them immediately, even those who who just come here to lurk. :D

Sounds like censorship to me or that a particular group of nurses were afraid that we were turning up the heat a bit too much.

This will ultimately be decided in the OR. But we all need to keep the pressure the up and spread the message. I've been doing my part to inform as many people as I can about this issue.

:thumbup:

Toughlife, send a PM to Vent. He and OMD make the decisions for mods.

I'm cornfused by all this GasForums vs. SDN vs. moderators stuff. I'm glad Lee finally posted something because there was too much going on that was unsaid in all these posts. Why can't we all just get along? And when you nominate me for moderator, I will put the smackdown on everyone, just like toughlife.:smuggrin: Thank you for your support.

And thank you Noyac...keep up the good work.

keep up the good work.

Umh, that kind of hard to do now. My sword has been taken away from me. And since I was on this site more than anyone of the other mods, I predict the trolls will come back in full force with responses being very delayed.

Funny thing is that Lee is willing to let anyone be a mod ie: MilMD and Toughlife. Two of the more controversial members of this site. No offense intended to Mil or Tough, I am fond of both. Lee doesn't even know that Mil left this site quite some time ago and hasn't returned.

My sword has been taken away from me.

I don't know if its related or not. But, concurrent with your departure my urgewrx account was banned from logging-in to the anesthesia forum... I cannot help but think you were involved in this.

i was kidding when i nominated militarymd. he is arrogant and narcisiistic and believes that his view is the ONLY view. He doesnt understand that there are other people in this world besides him.

i was kidding when i nominated militarymd. he is arrogant and narcisiistic and believes that his view is the ONLY view. He doesnt understand that there are other people in this world besides him.

I knew you were but others that are not as involved here do no know that.:thumbup:

I don't know if its related or not. But, concurrent with your departure my urgewrx account was banned from logging-in to the anesthesia forum... I cannot help but think you were involved in this.

I no longer possess that authority so I could not do that. And why would I ban someone on my way out the door? If you have concerns contact Lee.

MMD blew outta here a long time ago after everyone and their mom fought him on everything he said. It was ridiculous and I can't blame the guy.

As for Noy, he knows I vouch for him. Sent out a bunch of PM's to attest to that. Perhaps after things cool down he'll get his ak-47 back, which would make me very very happy. Lee is a good guy and without him none of this would exist. So I will be, and shall remain, level headed. I hope that others will too.

Noyac's non-moderation status is not my decision. However, if I decide to take off because of this then this place is left without anyone from the past to regulate. No big deal I suppose. Things will keep on trucken on.

Never-the-less I have yet to see any recent posts from OMD or JPP. Almost non-existent. They are busy folks too. We need more peeps. Until Noyac gets flying again we gotta have people like UTSW on board. I too, believe it or not, am busy. Residency/chief crap/finding fellowship/job/wife/marriage/sick family members/etc/LIFE is keeping this brother in check...So I need quality back up.

As for the CRNA vs MDA crap, I'm trying to shove all that stuff into a messy corner. It has its place but it shouldn't be the focus of this forum. The focus should remain on:1) encouraging interested medical students into applying to the field, 2) elucidating medical students on what being an anesthesiologist encompasses, 3)how to apply for residency, and 4)Clinical Discussions (what keeps me comming back here).

vent

MMD blew outta here a long time ago after everyone and their mom fought him on everything he said. It was ridiculous and I can't blame the guy.

vent

well the guy would say outlandish stuff ALL the time. Thats why everyone would call him out. good riddance.

Not everyone. You and a few select others.

Like it not my attendings tell me the exact same things he said on here. They have all worked private practice and are near the 'twilight' of their career.

Not everyone. You and a few select others.

Like it not my attendings tell me the exact same things he said on here. They have all worked private practice and are near the 'twilight' of their career.

If you are a resident (as you claim), you must be at an academic program. So how is it possible for ALL your attendings to have worked in private practice?

Well you are right

They have not all worked private, that was my bad. They all share the same opinions it seems however.

everyone here has the right to express their opinions, and I respect and appreciate everyone for doing so.

My opinion:

MilitaryMD is an awesome man, and a very knowledgable doctor. I am truly saddened that he is no longer posting on this forum. I disagree strongly with the vocal minority that hated on him.

MMD, if you're out there still reading this, many here appreciate your time and advice, and I think you succeeded in your mission to educate in the specific ways you intended. Our sincerest, deepest thanks. I hope you come back.

Ditto to all that.

everyone here has the right to express their opinions, and I respect and appreciate everyone for doing so.

My opinion:

MilitaryMD is an awesome man, and a very knowledgable doctor. I am truly saddened that he is no longer posting on this forum. I disagree strongly with the vocal minority that hated on him.

MMD, if you're out there still reading this, many here appreciate your time and advice, and I think you succeeded in your mission to educate in the specific ways you intended. Our sincerest, deepest thanks. I hope you come back.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.