making up for rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poorhistorian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible to make up for mediocre clerkship grades? the year's not over, but the way it's been going, i'll prob. end up HP across the board with no H.. not even in surgery, which is quite disheartening. i did get a good final evaluation and honored clinically as well as the shelf, but missed a few points on the osce, which is what did me in.

anyway, in the past i've heard you'd better honor everything, esp. surgery to even have a shot with PRS. just wondering how much truth there is to that. can you make it up with productive year-off research, strong recs, strong aways?

or should i seriously start considering traditional pathway?

thanks. any thoughts appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

is it possible to make up for mediocre clerkship grades? the year's not over, but the way it's been going, i'll prob. end up HP across the board with no H.. not even in surgery, which is quite disheartening. i did get a good final evaluation and honored clinically as well as the shelf, but missed a few points on the osce, which is what did me in.

anyway, in the past i've heard you'd better honor everything, esp. surgery to even have a shot with PRS. just wondering how much truth there is to that. can you make it up with productive year-off research, strong recs, strong aways?

or should i seriously start considering traditional pathway?

thanks. any thoughts appreciated.

For what it's worth, I honored family, psych, IM and medical humanities and I matched. We only had H/P/F, so that means all others were just pass for me (including surg). I don't think they will do you in as long as the rest of your app is great. Make sure to do great on your home and away sub-is (honors if your school does it for 4th year. Mine didn't).

Just talked to my Plastic Surgery department and my COM Dean about this very question on separate occasions. The Plastic Surgery PD said it doesn't matter a whole lot and I'd have a good shot anyway. The Dean at my COM says that I should pretty much give up and focus on gen surg.

I guess it depends on who you trust more. I'm gonna apply to both which is probably what I was going to do anyway. Basically, I won't be able to tell you till next year. I hope it all works out for you.

Remember you can always do a fellowship after a GS residency. Don't be so hard on yourself. :cool: