Can Junior AOA Make Up for a Bad GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StillHaveSomething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my home plastics sub I, and will be applying for an integrated spot this fall.

My stats are:
  • 260 Step 1
  • Step 2 scheduled in October (after second away)
  • 1 premed publication, 3 submitted papers, 1 podium and 3 poster presentations
  • No home integrated program
  • Junior AOA
  • 3.7ish GPA (2nd Quartile)
My school selected junior AOA early enough that I hadn't made a series of personal life mistakes to damage my application yet, but of course I have to deal with that now. Currently I wouldn't be eligible for nomination.

I plan on finishing ERAS over the next month while I'm on an elective before my 2 aways start. Is there anything specific that I should do to explain away the grade discrepancy or bolster other parts of my application?

The bad grades were during our relatively "easy" family med and peds rotations if it matters.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my home plastics sub I, and will be applying for an integrated spot this fall.

My stats are:
  • 260 Step 1
  • Step 2 scheduled in October (after second away)
  • 1 premed publication, 3 submitted papers, 1 podium and 3 poster presentations
  • No home integrated program
  • Junior AOA
  • 3.7ish GPA (2nd Quartile)
My school selected junior AOA early enough that I hadn't made a series of personal life mistakes to damage my application yet, but of course I have to deal with that now. Currently I wouldn't be eligible for nomination.

I plan on finishing ERAS over the next month while I'm on an elective before my 2 aways start. Is there anything specific that I should do to explain away the grade discrepancy or bolster other parts of my application?

The bad grades were during our relatively "easy" family med and peds rotations if it matters.

You've listed a number of strong qualifications, then hinted at a "damaging personal life mistake" of unknown type or severity... Without any information on the "damaging personal life mistake" there's really no way to tell what your chances look like now. If your mistake was just a bout of depressed inattention following a breakup or period of burnout and resulting in a few poor rotation grades, I wouldn't worry too much. If it was a domestic violence charge or DUI, then yeah, big trouble...

I'd focus on maximizing the chances you have -- What will your school say about you? Will they go to bat for you? Or 'hedge' their comments due to your recent 'whatever'? How have your rotations gone so far? Are you generally a likeable person?

For someone with relatively strong clinical skills and an engaging personality, targeting away rotations to your 'best chance' spots and doing your darndest to make sure they like you would be your best bet. But if you are someone whose personality is an 'acquired taste' and who's less impressive in clinic, you might represent yourself much better 'on paper' than in person.

Either way though, I'd suggest you plan on applying to every program if you can afford it. Schedule your aways strategically and paddle like mad to impress while you're there. Select a backup specialty and prepare adequately for Plan B, should you need it. Then just cross your fingers.

My mistakes were getting distracted by personal relationship/family things that had no connection/impact to school outside of me studying less and making more mistakes on tests. There are no lasting effects other than my grades/mood.

I have good relationships with administration/faculty and all of the subjective parts of my application will be good. I got As on all the clinical grades, but objective tests brought me down. I generally do well with interviews.

I was accepted for aways at a top 10 and top 25 program on this list based on grades from before the Bs. Are those unrealistic now? Should I apply for other aways?