Major decision. Help needed. WesternU-Pomona vs KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to both WesternU and KCU and I am having the hardest time of my life deciding which school I want to attend. Literally one of the biggest decision of my life right here. I have all the pros and cons thought out, but am still lost, so I was hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm from California (lived here my whole life). Now the thing that is different or special about my situation is that I don't really want to practice in CA. Not that I hate CA, but I really like the midwest and the feel of it there, so I would ultimately want to practice there. But, if for some reason that doesn't happen and I stay in CA, no biggie (only thing of concern is that overdue earthquake lol). This is what I have thought of so far:

PROS:
KCU = cheaper tuition (~10k cheaper), the curriculum seems fool-proof and focused towards high board scores (which is what I want), solid DO program overall with good reputation, love the location.

WesternU = close to family (only 1 hour drive away).....don't really know what else is so great about this school (will appreciate some feedback here).

CONS:
KCU = far from family....

WesternU = expensive, I've heard some bad things about their curricullum and how it isn't focused towards boards (major concern for me atm, will love to hear more about this).

Note: From what I have listed so far, it may seem like I really like KCU and should go there. However, the only thing holding me back is my family (not literally). I am an extremely family-oriented individual. They mean everything to me. And given the unforgiving intensity of medical school, it is vital for me to be near my support group. Currently for undergrad, I go to a university that is 5 hours away from home, and I go home every 3-4 weeks. Now the thing to take into consideration is that I don't think this will be possible when I am in medical school because there is just too much work. However, instead of me visiting home, my family can come visit me and I'm sure that will be just as good.

I guess my only concern is Western's curriculum and the things I've heard about it. I hope someone can clear this up.

Any advice on how to decide, especially how to weigh going to a school near your family vs going to a school with a better curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
if kcu makes you happy and you see yourself being happier here then come here. you can see your family in the winter, spring, and summer. everyone in my class does it.

i get your chalkenge though. a month prior to leaving for med school i got married and left my family's house hold. i can tell you that being away from family is tough but could be the best thing for you when it comes to med school, the lasr thing you want is to feel strain on your relationship with your family because you cant hangout due to an upcoming exam. if you are farther away then well, they have no say in that aspect.

hopefully this helps, good luck on your decision!

At the same time, I feel like my parents would definitely understand that. If I have upcoming exams and have no time to hang out, they won't push me to do so. I just think that it will be difficult to be away from my family for months at a time, in a stressful environment. Ahhh this is so hard
@AlteredScale But, I think your situation completely changed once you got married because that gave you a reason to move out

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been seeing a lot of your posts lately, and first of all, congrats on two solid acceptances! It's definitely a decision worth considering extensively, and good on you for doing just that. I can't speak from experience with KCU, but from everything I've seen, it would be an excellent school to attend. I can, however, speak from experience with the Midwest and KC specifically. KC has a lot of culture and plenty of activities and great food...and the people in KC are incredibly nice and welcoming in general, especially compared to some parts of either coast. Also, I'm not sure which part of Cali you're from, but the airport in KC flies pretty much everywhere and it's very accessible, so that's a plus at least! I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, and since I moved to KC I have met more DO's than anywhere else. They're quite literally everywhere, and I would imagine the playing field is much more equal here than somewhere such as Cali. Good luck with your decision, whichever you decide on, you're in a great spot!

I am having a similar problem as well currently. I went to undergrad 10 mins from home because it was cheaper to commute than stay on campus, and now I'm considering moving to KCU which is sort of a shock (family lives <1 hour from home, KCU >6 hours). Even though the move is tough, I am going to pick KCU unless PCOM rings my name. Their curriculum is balls hard no doubt, but medical school is going to be hard regardless and I wouldn't be seeing my family much (unless at PCOM, and even then, maybe 1x/month). Every doc I've talked to said that your family is a phone call/skype call away worst case scenario. Yes it is not the same as being comforted by them in person, but at the same time, it will be a time for you to significantly mature seeing as the way medicine is (with residency, rotations ect), we will be away from our family regardless until we are attendings. It's an opportunity to mature, and we will develop our own family/support group at KCU. Board scores are the most important thing when deciding a career. I know it's premature to think about and this is my n=1 and 0.02, but I would not sleep happy knowing that there was a better opportunity to do better and open more doors by doing well on boards.

I've been seeing a lot of your posts lately, and first of all, congrats on two solid acceptances! It's definitely a decision worth considering extensively, and good on you for doing just that. I can't speak from experience with KCU, but from everything I've seen, it would be an excellent school to attend. I can, however, speak from experience with the Midwest and KC specifically. KC has a lot of culture and plenty of activities and great food...and the people in KC are incredibly nice and welcoming in general, especially compared to some parts of either coast. Also, I'm not sure which part of Cali you're from, but the airport in KC flies pretty much everywhere and it's very accessible, so that's a plus at least! I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, and since I moved to KC I have met more DO's than anywhere else. They're quite literally everywhere, and I would imagine the playing field is much more equal here than somewhere such as Cali. Good luck with your decision, whichever you decide on, you're in a great spot!

I am having a similar problem as well currently. I went to undergrad 10 mins from home because it was cheaper to commute than stay on campus, and now I'm considering moving to KCU which is sort of a shock (family lives <1 hour from home, KCU >6 hours). Even though the move is tough, I am going to pick KCU unless PCOM rings my name. Their curriculum is balls hard no doubt, but medical school is going to be hard regardless and I wouldn't be seeing my family much (unless at PCOM, and even then, maybe 1x/month). Every doc I've talked to said that your family is a phone call/skype call away worst case scenario. Yes it is not the same as being comforted by them in person, but at the same time, it will be a time for you to significantly mature seeing as the way medicine is (with residency, rotations ect), we will be away from our family regardless until we are attendings. It's an opportunity to mature, and we will develop our own family/support group at KCU. Board scores are the most important thing when deciding a career. I know it's premature to think about and this is my n=1 and 0.02, but I would not sleep happy knowing that there was a better opportunity to do better and open more doors by doing well on boards.

Thanks! I appreciate the input. Yeah, I absolutely loved the midwest and the feel I got when I was there. But at the end of the day. no matter how much I try, family is family and no number of friends could ever replace that. And that's what is making this decision difficult. Basically it comes down to what I value more I guess. Family vs a school that is known to have a better curriculum. If I d end up choosing Western, it's not like I chose a bad school. They have high board scores and a decent match list as well. FWIW, I come from a cultural background in which family is always #1, and I truly believe that. Not trying to be deep or anything, but the amount of happiness that radiated from my parents when I called them about my WesternU acceptance is priceless. And I know for a fact that nothing will make them happier than my decision to stay here in CA. Even if we don't see each other that often, just knowing that we are only an hour away from each other is reassuring enough. Now it may sound like I contradict myself a lot or simply can't decide. But, I think what I really posted here for and what I'm looking for is balance. A balance of having my support group near me and attending a good school. The latter is seems to be my concern. So, I would love it if anyone can comment on WesternUs curriculum...

But, I must say that I really appreciate you all giving your input, it really helps me dig deeper into my mind and will surely help me make a wise decision.

Thanks! I appreciate the input. Yeah, I absolutely loved the midwest and the feel I got when I was there. But at the end of the day. no matter how much I try, family is family and no number of friends could ever replace that. And that's what is making this decision difficult. Basically it comes down to what I value more I guess. Family vs a school that is known to have a better curriculum. If I d end up choosing Western, it's not like I chose a bad school. They have high board scores and a decent match list as well. FWIW, I come from a cultural background in which family is always #1, and I truly believe that. Not trying to be deep or anything, but the amount of happiness that radiated from my parents when I called them about my WesternU acceptance is priceless. And I know for a fact that nothing will make them happier than my decision to stay here in CA. Even if we don't see each other that often, just knowing that we are only an hour away from each other is reassuring enough. Now it may sound like I contradict myself a lot or simply can't decide. But, I think what I really posted here for and what I'm looking for is balance. A balance of having my support group near me and attending a good school. The latter is seems to be my concern. So, I would love it if anyone can comment on WesternUs curriculum...

But, I must say that I really appreciate you all giving your input, it really helps me dig deeper into my mind and will surely help me make a wise decision.

I don't know you personally, or anything else about you for that matter, but I do think that you yourself have made the decision for yourself. You are just looking for somebody to prove you otherwise! Either way, you are going to medical school, you're going to be a doctor. :)

I don't know you personally, or anything else about you for that matter, but I do think that you yourself have made the decision for yourself. You are just looking for somebody to prove you otherwise! Either way, you are going to medical school, you're going to be a doctor. :)
In a sense, yeah, I was really trying to see if someone could gives reasons as to why I should attend one school and not the other. But, its not like I am just going to completely accept the advice I get on here (not that its bad advice). It's just that getting input from different people and perspectives will ultimately help me make the decision, because at the end of the day, it's all up to me. Thanks for the input.

Where you go to medical school ha little bearing on where you'll be a resident or practice ultimately. My advice would be to move out and away. Get used to being independent. Learn to do your own laundry. Cook for yourself. Get lost and find your own way back. You can't imagine how much your own person you become after you get outside of a certain radius from safe and familiar.
Well then that simply means that if I go to a school in CA, I could possibly end up in the midwest and that is where I would like to be eventually. And as far as being independent goes, that has nothing to do with my situation I think. I live on my own now and do everything for myself. Me being a family-oriented person has no bearing on my independence really. But, I do understand what you are trying to say.

But at the end of the day. no matter how much I try, family is family and no number of friends could ever replace that. If I d end up choosing Western, it's not like I chose a bad school.
I know for a fact that nothing will make them happier than my decision to stay here in CA. Even if we don't see each other that often, just knowing that we are only an hour away from each other is reassuring enough. A balance of having my support group near me and attending a good school.

I edited your quote to help your decision...;)

@cjfarrell21 I'd like to hear from you. I believe you had to make a similar decision not too long ago.

Haha Pomona traffic is killer and even LA traffic in general. I have traveled around the country and liked the Midwest the best. But, given the nature of med school, it's not like I will have loads of time to enjoy my surroundings. And even if I do happen to find some time, CA offers the best attractions/places to recharge IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just based on your post not personally knowing to much about either school I would say kcu. Yes it is far from your family but I think sacrificing that for a few years while going to a place whose curriculum you'd seem to prefer and a location you want to be in would be well worth it. I also think that moving farther than a days drive from ones family is something everyone should do at some point even if just for a short while.

I'd say stay in California if it's a critical factor for you. Keep in mind residency is a much bigger deal and can be much more stressful to some people, and there is a chance you may have to move four years from now.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I would definitely say Western. Of all my friends in school right now, the number one thing they tell me is to go somewhere that is close to your support system and the people you love. At the end of the day, school is what you make it. I fully believe you will succeed at both medical schools, so why not go to the one closer to your family and lessen the stress on yourself.

I'm extremely close to my family and I picked a school that is closer, even though I got into schools that were maybe "better" or "higher tier." I just know that I'm just going to be happier being closer to my fam.

That's just me though!

Also, I know a couple of doctors from Western, and they're awesome!

I was recently accepted to both WesternU and KCU and I am having the hardest time of my life deciding which school I want to attend. Literally one of the biggest decision of my life right here. I have all the pros and cons thought out, but am still lost, so I was hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm from California (lived here my whole life). Now the thing that is different or special about my situation is that I don't really want to practice in CA. Not that I hate CA, but I really like the midwest and the feel of it there, so I would ultimately want to practice there. But, if for some reason that doesn't happen and I stay in CA, no biggie (only thing of concern is that overdue earthquake lol). This is what I have thought of so far:

PROS:
KCU = cheaper tuition (~10k cheaper), the curriculum seems fool-proof and focused towards high board scores (which is what I want), solid DO program overall with good reputation, love the location.

WesternU = close to family (only 1 hour drive away).....don't really know what else is so great about this school (will appreciate some feedback here).

CONS:
KCU = far from family....

WesternU = expensive, I've heard some bad things about their curricullum and how it isn't focused towards boards (major concern for me atm, will love to hear more about this).

Note: From what I have listed so far, it may seem like I really like KCU and should go there. However, the only thing holding me back is my family (not literally). I am an extremely family-oriented individual. They mean everything to me. And given the unforgiving intensity of medical school, it is vital for me to be near my support group. Currently for undergrad, I go to a university that is 5 hours away from home, and I go home every 3-4 weeks. Now the thing to take into consideration is that I don't think this will be possible when I am in medical school because there is just too much work. However, instead of me visiting home, my family can come visit me and I'm sure that will be just as good.

I guess my only concern is Western's curriculum and the things I've heard about it. I hope someone can clear this up.

Any advice on how to decide, especially how to weigh going to a school near your family vs going to a school with a better curriculum.
Stay close to your family and support group. Medical school is already stressful. You don't want the extra stress of having to adjusted to a new culture and group of people on top of it. I grew up in the Midwest and went to undergrad in the East Coast. I underperformed in college relative to my high school peers that stayed home. I still pay for that price today. I had lapses of homesickness and depression during my four years of undergrad.

Hey, I would definitely say Western. Of all my friends in school right now, the number one thing they tell me is to go somewhere that is close to your support system and the people you love. At the end of the day, school is what you make it. I fully believe you will succeed at both medical schools, so why not go to the one closer to your family and lessen the stress on yourself.

I'm extremely close to my family and I picked a school that is closer, even though I got into schools that were maybe "better" or "higher tier." I just know that I'm just going to be happier being closer to my fam.

That's just me though!
Stay close to your family and support group. Medical school is already stressful. You don't want the extra stress of having to adjusted to a new culture and group of people on top of it. I grew up in the Midwest and went to undergrad in the East Coast. I underperformed in college relative to my high school peers that stayed home. I still pay for that price today. I had lapses of homesickness and depression during my four years of undergrad.
Yeah, that is what I'm afraid of. Letting homesickness get the best of me and negatively impacting my studies. I guess at the end of the day, I should just go wherever I think I will be happiest. Sure, there are differences in the curriculum between both schools, but like sigma said, school is what you make of it. I will be a doctor at the end of it all.

@oceanman Do you know if you want to do residency in california? Do you want to be able to visit your family whenever you have a long weekend or eat bbq all the time? (I wish I can visit my family every other week, I'm too lazy to cook). Do you want a a boot camp version of med school (it's a joke KCU folks)? Anyway, one of my mentors is from WesterU and he is one bad ass doctor, just my $0.02.

@oceanman Do you know if you want to do residency in california? Do you want to be able to visit your family whenever you have a long weekend or eat bbq all the time? (I wish I can visit my family every other week, I'm too lazy to cook). Do you want a a boot camp version of med school (it's a joke KCU folks)? Anyway, one of my mentors is from WesterU and he is one bad ass doctor, just my $0.02.
I wouldn't mind doing residency anywhere (just not in a super rural location) as long as I get into a residency of my choice. I would love to visit my family during any long weekend and have home cooked meals. BBQ is not appealing to me because I'm vegetarian lol. That is perk though, my parents said they could bring me food for the week, every week. Not only does that bring down some costs, but it also saves me time.

First of all, you can get a job anywhere when you're done with residency. Where you go to school and where you go for residency don't determine your practice location. I know of plenty of West Coast providers who grow up and go to school in the East Coast. The little things provided by your family add up in times of need. Since you're still young and relatively immature, I would suggest for you to stay at home and give yourself more time for maturity. I struggled somewhat in college, and my four years there didn't really help me mature into the person I am today. The only positive from my undergrad is that I met my wife there. I only grow up into a man once I have kids of my own.

It's nothing against you, but sometimes people need some time to grow up. Everyone is different. It's not a bad thing to rely on your family support during medical school, considering the stress that you're going to endure for the next 7 years. If you go to KCU without your family support, you will be emotionally, mentally, and physically tested. You might become a stronger person, or you might be broken completely and flunk out of medical school. You have a choice right now. Pick the safer one. You already know the answer to this decision in your heart.

Reactions: 1 users
@cjfarrell21 I'd like to hear from you. I believe you had to make a similar decision not too long ago.

I feel so honored to be called on for advice hehe but take what I say with a grain of salt as it obviously is what I think is best for me. In the end, do what you think will make you happy, give you the best chance to do what you want to do, become the doctor you want to be. For me that ended up being to attend Western. To reach that conclusion I pulled on a few things:

a) California
I, like you, have lived in California all my life. Grew up in NorCal, went to school in SoCal, got a job, moved, and now live in a different part of SoCal. With all this being said, a large part of me considered leaving because California can be a pain in the ass 49% of the time. However, that 51% of the time is one of the reasons I stuck with Western. I'm generally not one to stay in my comfort zone (emotionally, socially, mentally or physically) but part of me realized the importance of having a support system close to me when I was walking unknown into a great beast. I'm close with my family, but only see them about 2-3 times per year and have had to "create" my own family in various parts of CA as I've moved around. I know I won't be able to see them or my friends as much as a I do now, but the mere thought that they aren't unreasonably far away puts me at ease for some reason.
Also, I've always wanted to do a residency and subsequently practice in CA. Now, I know that you can get a residency and practice wherever you chose to desire, however, for me, based on match lists and rotation sites, I figured it would be easier to match into a CA residency by staying in CA. Not saying it would be impossible if you went to KCU (theoretically you would have a higher board score), but thinking along the connections side of things, staying in CA would give me more access to more people... in CA.
I might catch some flack for this lol but I'm a man of balance. I LOVED KC when I went. Great vibes, AMAZING food, and great, friendly people, but talking to these people it seemed as if all there was in KC was... KC. Maybe that's just me? I know med school will be spent studying XX(alot)% of the time, but Western is central to so many of the things that make me happy and allow me to stay "balanced"-- the beach if I want to surf (leave at the correct time of day and it can take 45 min), the mountains to hike/climb/snowboard, clubs in LA/LV if I wanted to go out, etc, list goes on. I know I won't be able to do these biweekly, maybe not even monthly for that matter, but knowing that I could "escape" on a night/weekend I deemed "free" or a day that I just needed some "me" time was something that was very important.

b) DO's whom I am close with/have connections
For the past 1.5 years I've worked with a few Western Alum whom I have grown to admire and idolize. They're all great physicians and also just great overall people. When I practice I hope to treat patients similar to how they treat patients-- utilize elements of their practice in my own --because their outcomes and patient satisfaction are so great. Sure this might speak more about who they are as individuals rather than the schooling they received, but in my discussions with them they had their foundations in medicine from Western. I think I described it to someone like this once: I played basketball growing up and wanted to be exactly like Michael Jordan (didn't everyone). To be like exactly Michael Jordan I had to go to UNC, win championships, get drafted and then play for the Bulls. That's how I would be exactly like MJ. Same similar concept applies in this regard.
The connections part that I mentioned above also rings true here --having the chance to stay close to my "mentors" and the people they know will be advantageous in the long run. I knew if I went to KCU I wouldn't be severing ties with them completely, but I would have to restart making connections in KC (could be easy or hard..). At Western, I am already incredibly close with a very dense network of individuals from Day 1... something I feel will be very beneficial.

c) My current medical interests
Currently, I'm interested in Family Medicine (+PCSM fellowship) or PM&R. I keep an open mind with almost anything and will go into school thinking the same thing. However, looking at the matches for FM and PMR I realized that Western wouldn't hinder me (KCU wouldn't either) and it once again came down to the CA residency. If I was currently thinking something more intense/specialized and open to places outside of the CA than I would lean heavier towards KC... but I'm not (nothing against people who are of course).
In regards to the curriculum, I know KCU's is amazing and Western lacks in comparison, but (call me naive) in the end I think it's the individual that gets the board score not the school. KCU curriculum wise seems to build a better foundation for board prep than Western, but the individual is still going to be taught the same material (in a different manner, of course) and it's up to them to figure out a way that works best for him/her to do well. I know when I made my decision to attend Western I wouldn't get the same foundation I would be getting in the KCU curriculum, but I truly don't think it will hinder my abilities to match in my current (or future) interests.

Hopefully that was useful to you. It definitely was a hard decision for me, but I feel as if I made the right one for myself. As I mentioned earlier, go where you think you will get the schooling that will let you be the physician you want to be. good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Reading all of this.... It just really seems like family is so important to you and you really connect to the push that western u people are giving you man. You keep saying it... You'll be a great doctor anywhere and you have your family at Western U. I think you know deep inside which is better for YOU

Also I've been to western u Pomona and it is an incredible school! Both are great, you will be great either place

These thoughts are in no particular order:

To me, it always seems like the choices people defend the hardest are where their true intentions lie. Throughout this thread you have countered others' points about going to KCU (with their better curriculum and location you actually prefer, family aside) by circling back to different ways in which your family can help and support you. It doesn't seem like you're defending the positive points about KCU nearly as fervently.

Reading your posts, it seems like you could replace KCU and Western with any 2 schools that are marginally comparable (but in the same areas) and you would be in the same dilemma. <<< could be wrong though

In your original post, you admitted that you don't have any real pros on the Western side of the comparison aside from proximity to family.... that struck me as interesting. Not that there's anything wrong with Western, good school.

You also asked for this advice: "Any advice on how to decide, especially how to weigh going to a school near your family vs going to a school with a better curriculum."
That honestly is something really only you can decide. Nobody knows your values better than you do! If you are getting advice on such an intimate and important question from strangers whose perspectives are from a context you don't know, how can their advice make or break your decision? That being said, cjfarrell really put it all on the table for you haha.

Good luck in your decision, I like your chances at becoming a good physician either way.

These thoughts are in no particular order:

To me, it always seems like the choices people defend the hardest are where their true intentions lie. Throughout this thread you have countered others' points about going to KCU (with their better curriculum and location you actually prefer, family aside) by circling back to different ways in which your family can help and support you. It doesn't seem like you're defending the positive points about KCU nearly as fervently.

Reading your posts, it seems like you could replace KCU and Western with any 2 schools that are marginally comparable (but in the same areas) and you would be in the same dilemma. <<< could be wrong though

In your original post, you admitted that you don't have any real pros on the Western side of the comparison aside from proximity to family.... that struck me as interesting. Not that there's anything wrong with Western, good school.

You also asked for this advice: "Any advice on how to decide, especially how to weigh going to a school near your family vs going to a school with a better curriculum."
That honestly is something really only you can decide. Nobody knows your values better than you do! If you are getting advice on such an intimate and important question from strangers whose perspectives are from a context you don't know, how can their advice make or break your decision? That being said, cjfarrell really put it all on the table for you haha.

Good luck in your decision, I like your chances at becoming a good physician either way.

You make some valid points. I knew deep down inside that I wanted to stay near family and was just hoping that someone else who had to make a similar decision could chime in. Western is actually a good choice for me because the COA will be similar to if I had chose to attend KCU. No transportation cost and no grocery/food costs :)

Then again you could live right next to school at KCU and walk here, only leaving for groceries every week or so, but the difference is that gas in KC is below 2 dollars and stays there for weeks on end. Highest I've seen it go was 2.10.

Again I think of something is drawing you here then you should go despite the familial factor because you really only get one shot at this and you don't want to regret going to a school you were OK with instead of happy with.

Best of luck on your decision!

Then again you could live right next to school at KCU and walk here, only leaving for groceries every week or so, but the difference is that gas in KC is below 2 dollars and stays there for weeks on end. Highest I've seen it go was 2.10.

Again I think of something is drawing you here then you should go despite the familial factor because you really only get one shot at this and you don't want to regret going to a school you were OK with instead of happy with.

Best of luck on your decision!

That's true. However, by transportation I meant I would be saving the cost of both gas and air travel. So, that's 2-3k I won't have to spend at Western. Minimal amount, yes. But, after my calculations the COA for both schools will be approximately the same for me.

In all honesty, the only reason I made this thread was because I had read some "not so great" things about Western here on SDN. If I hadn't read those things, this thread would not have been created and I would be all Western from the get go. But, I began to notice how those negative comments about Western came from the same 2-3 SDNers, which made me realize that its their opinion and I won't let it influence my decision.

And after talking with a few med students and Western graduates, I realized something very important. They all basically said the same thing. You should not base your decision on the curriculum or pre-clinical years. What matters most is what a school has to offer during your clinical years. You will learn the same things at any US medical school, just in different ways. Does that make a difference, yes. But, the way the curriculum is laid out is no big deal and medical students only realize that once they start their clinical years. At the end of the day, doing well in classes, managing your time, and crushing the boards all depends on you. Especially when it comes to the boards, it's purely self-study and determination that results in high board scores. Does the school curriculum help, yes. But, it is still solely up to YOU.

Western has some great matches into competitive residencies every year (as a matter of fact, almost every school does). Therefore, I know that it is something that is attainable, it's POSSIBLE. As long as it is possible, I can do it. The only reason I say this is because most people always underestimate their abilities. You'll see that a school has matched a person into neurosurgery, urology, ortho, derm, ophthalmology, etc... and automatically assume that those individuals are geniuses (which they may be). But, that type of thought process 100% guarantees that YOU yourself won't be able to do it because YOU do not think you are capable of doing so. You'll convince yourself that those aren't specialties that you would want to go into anyways, when in fact deep down inside you would love to go there.

The only reason I say these things is because I hope that someone stumbles upon this post someday when making a decision between two schools. Just know that no matter what school you choose to attend, despite the curriculum, if you are meant to do great things, you will definitely do so regardless of where you go. Too many times, I see people blaming and bashing their schools because they don't think the school has a good curriculum. These are their opinions, so take them with a grain of salt. Realize that at EVERY school you'll have people that complain and blame the school for not matching or matching into a residency they didn't want. But, at the same time you have others (who do not even come and voice their opinions on SDN) who suck it up and grind. Those are the people that match into top programs and residencies of their choice. Then, you have the pessimists or "realists" who say "ooh those ppl are outliers duuu" well why can't YOU be that outlier. I'm done here. I now know that no matter what school a person decides to attend, it is their sickening work ethic and relentlessness that allows them to succeed, whether they go to Western, KCU, BCOM, or WCU-COM etc. It doesn't really matter.

I appreciate all the input.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
BTW, there was a Western grad from the Lebanon campus matched to a DO neurosurgery program this past year. So, anyone who's making this decision based on class curriculum and pre-clinical years is very naive. At the end of the day, it's going to be about the fit and what makes you happy. Personally, family support and happiness trump everything when the two school choices are comparable.
Yeah. Western's last year match list was pretty good. 4 people to ortho, 1 to neurosurgery, and 1 to urological surgery, and many to other good programs. http://opti-west.org/pdfs/2014_match.pdf

BTW, there was a Western grad from the Lebanon campus matched to a DO neurosurgery program this past year. So, anyone who's making this decision based on class curriculum and pre-clinical years is very naive. At the end of the day, it's going to be about the fit and what makes you happy. Personally, family support and happiness trump everything when the two school choices are comparable.

Couldn't agree more. I know my family will support me and help me wherever I go, but at the same time I just feel like western is the better fit. It sounds like this is the case with oceanman too. Best of luck mate. In the end we're all chasing the same dream. I'll see you at western :)

Couldn't agree more. I know my family will support me and help me wherever I go, but at the same time I just feel like western is the better fit. It sounds like this is the case with oceanman too. Best of luck mate. In the end we're all chasing the same dream. I'll see you at western :)
I am in a similar situation. It is odd--up until about 2011 all posts about WesternU on SDN were complete praises. It seems like the posting has shifted to a some what balance of good and bad. How can we be so sure that this is just chance--there is a very limited sample size. I wish there was a way to try before you buy!

I am in a similar situation. It is odd--up until about 2011 all posts about WesternU on SDN were complete praises. It seems like the posting has shifted to a some what balance of good and bad. How can we be so sure that this is just chance--there is a very limited sample size. I wish there was a way to try before you buy!

That's why you don't base your decision based on curriculum and board scores. That thinking is not smart since those things can fluctuate due to changing administration, culture, and student body. You need to base your decision based on tangible stuff that will be with you for sure for the next four years:

1) Your family will be there for you.
2) The location of the school will stay the same with the same amenities and atmosphere.
3) History of good clinical sites is crucial toward your development as a physician.
4) Total estimate debt by graduation.

That's why you don't base your decision based on curriculum and board scores. That thinking is not smart since those things can fluctuate due to changing administration, culture, and student body. You need to base your decision based on tangible stuff that will be with you for sure for the next four years:

1) Your family will be there for you.
2) The location of the school will stay the same with the same amenities and atmosphere.
3) History of good clinical sites is crucial toward your development as a physician.
4) Total estimate debt by graduation.
Are you a western student? I see what you mean. Honestly, I'm sure many are happy. They probably just don't come to SDN. lol