Technology MacBook good choice for medical school laptop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"If you install Boot Camp on a well-equipped Mac model, it can become a blazing fast Vista computer. A few days ago I bought a top-of-the-line model of Apple’s new iMac line, and installed Boot Camp and Vista. I then tested the machine using Vista’s built-in Windows Experience Index, a rating system that goes from 1 to 5.9, with scores above 3.0 generally required for full, quick performance. My iMac scored a 5.0, the best score of any consumer Vista machine I have tested. Obviously, a tricked-out high end Dell or HP box might do as well or better, and a lesser Mac might do worse. But the score was very impressive for a computer that wasn’t designed with Vista in mind."

They're using Intel processors and chipsets; the machines ARE in essence designed for Windows. The original site doesn't list the specs of the iMac, but my guess is that you can buy a PC with the exact same processor/chipset/memory/video chip(or video card) and get the exact same performance. It might or might not be all that high-end.

OTOH, ever since they went Intel, Macs are not really all that much more expensive than PCs.

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing this, the only reasons I can see to buy a PC are:

A- Gaming. PCs still have the market cornered on this.

B- Windows Media Center. AppleTV doesn't come close.

ImaPC..ImaMac.jpg

i thought the program was called bootcamp? whats parallels?

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought the program was called bootcamp? whats parallels?

BootCamp is the free software distributed via apple. It requires a reboot, and your computer boots in Windows. Currently, this is the only way to get full Vista functionality.

Parallels is more of an emulator, such that it allows you to run Windows in parallele with the Mac system. No reboot required. It's commercial software, however, and costs ~$70.

Your choice depends on how you plan to use Windows, and how often.

Here's a nice summary

Also remember you get a free ipod if you are buying from the ed store.

Yeah I had no idea about that until I opened my new MAC today and there was a freakin IPOD mini in there!!!!!! F-in Awesome!!!!!

Yeah I had no idea about that until I opened my new MAC today and there was a freakin IPOD mini in there!!!!!! F-in Awesome!!!!!

Mini? I doubt it. Nano. More likely. You have to order the thing at the same time to get it. It's a rebate not free. You get the check after sending in UPCs. If you wanted the printer you would have to order that too at the same time. I think the iPod thing is finished for now.

if anyone is considering running windows with parallels, I've got an unopened copy I will let go for $60. (MSRP=$79)

My fave things so far about the Mac are the security and ease of use. I'm not very tech savvy and I find OS X an easier interface to use. After having multiple people in my family get their PCs seriously infected with viruses, I am happy to be on an operating system which is supposedly virus proof with appropriate protection.

I don't feel like I have given up the features of any Windows only programs, as I found Microsoft Office for Mac just as capable as the PC version. Maybe I will be singing a different tune next month once med school begins though. :eek:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the security issue is a common misconception. When somebody makes a virus the objective is to infect as many computers as possible. Although the people who use macs are increasing, there will always be more people using windows. Which would explain why there are no viruses for macs, cause it wouldn't infect alot of computers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the security issue is a common misconception. When somebody makes a virus the objective is to infect as many computers as possible. Although the people who use macs are increasing, there will always be more people using windows. Which would explain why there are no viruses for macs, cause it wouldn't infect alot of computers.

Most viruses are me too viruses (much like pharmaceuticals). Nobody is going to spend all of their time changing something if it already works.