Lunate Bone Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disposition1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is ben and i have a problem with my wrist

my situation is this, about 18 months ago i was doing kung fu, and hurt my wrist when we were learning wrist locks etc. i was also doing punching bag work and other exercises where i sprained my wrist lightly(so i thought), anyway i thought it was just a sprain or something and would go away after some rest. well it basically did but there was always a weakness that remained there since, and soreness came in and out over the last 18 months. i never assumed that it was a ligament or anything, just that it took along time to heal and i kept annoying it through going to the gym and basketball etc.

so 3 weeks a go i decided to get it checked out by a physio after it became sore more than normal since i started to do work at TGI fridays, carrying plates and drinks and using my wrist in alot of different motions.

after two sessions, the physio said i should see the doctor because there was an instability in my right wrist, through diagnosis my wrist clunked and moved when force applied to it in a sidways motion(across the wrist, from what i can remember). after doing some research on the net into the wrist i can say that the only pay i feel is right in the middle of the wrist, above the area of the lunate bone, all the rest of the wrist is not painful including the scaphoid bone area so it is not that.

during the diagnosis with the physio(with the wrist instability tests) or in the days around that week period(maybe in my sleep) the lunate bone in the wrist seems to have been shifted upwards towards the top of my wrist, because when i bend my palm down towards the ground, the lunate bone sticks up and i can see it protruded, rather than on my other wrist it seems to be a smooth curve. this bone(which i think is the lunate) is located slightly off centre to the left of my right wrist.

so after getting xrays which showed nothing by the doctor, he said i should see a surgeon to work out what is my problem.

so i have a 6 week wait until then

bit worried that this bone is out of position and if time is important in fixing this?

could you please help me out with some sort of idea as to what is the reason for the lunate bone to be move out of position(or whole hand moved down from lunate) and if it is a ligament injury, does time matter as to the bone being out of place?

or will waiting 6 weeks be fine.

my wrist doesnt hurt that much apart from the area around the protruding bone, and i have limited movement.

another note is the bone only protrudes 3/4 of a centimetre out of the wrist compared to my left.

thankyou for your time

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

disposition1 said:
Hello, my name is ben and i have a problem with my wrist

my situation is this, about 18 months ago i was doing kung fu, and hurt my wrist when we were learning wrist locks etc. i was also doing punching bag work and other exercises where i sprained my wrist lightly(so i thought), anyway i thought it was just a sprain or something and would go away after some rest. well it basically did but there was always a weakness that remained there since, and soreness came in and out over the last 18 months. i never assumed that it was a ligament or anything, just that it took along time to heal and i kept annoying it through going to the gym and basketball etc.

so 3 weeks a go i decided to get it checked out by a physio after it became sore more than normal since i started to do work at TGI fridays, carrying plates and drinks and using my wrist in alot of different motions.

after two sessions, the physio said i should see the doctor because there was an instability in my right wrist, through diagnosis my wrist clunked and moved when force applied to it in a sidways motion(across the wrist, from what i can remember). after doing some research on the net into the wrist i can say that the only pay i feel is right in the middle of the wrist, above the area of the lunate bone, all the rest of the wrist is not painful including the scaphoid bone area so it is not that.

during the diagnosis with the physio(with the wrist instability tests) or in the days around that week period(maybe in my sleep) the lunate bone in the wrist seems to have been shifted upwards towards the top of my wrist, because when i bend my palm down towards the ground, the lunate bone sticks up and i can see it protruded, rather than on my other wrist it seems to be a smooth curve. this bone(which i think is the lunate) is located slightly off centre to the left of my right wrist.

so after getting xrays which showed nothing by the doctor, he said i should see a surgeon to work out what is my problem.

so i have a 6 week wait until then

bit worried that this bone is out of position and if time is important in fixing this?

could you please help me out with some sort of idea as to what is the reason for the lunate bone to be move out of position(or whole hand moved down from lunate) and if it is a ligament injury, does time matter as to the bone being out of place?

or will waiting 6 weeks be fine.

my wrist doesnt hurt that much apart from the area around the protruding bone, and i have limited movement.

another note is the bone only protrudes 3/4 of a centimetre out of the wrist compared to my left.

thankyou for your time

Ben

Sounds like you may have scapho-lunate instability. Look into the Blatt procedure. Thats all I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.