LSU- NO vs Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heisman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am very fortunate to have acceptances to both medical schools. I'm just very torn between the two and was curious if current medical students there could give some pros/cons on behalf of their own institution. I appreciate the help! I'm interested in competitive subspecialties such as ENT or Neurosurgery! Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am very fortunate to have acceptances to both medical schools. I'm just very torn between the two and was curious if current medical students there could give some pros/cons on behalf of their own institution. I appreciate the help! I'm interested in competitive subspecialties such as ENT or Neurosurgery! Thanks again!

1) Cost?
2) ENT/Nsurg departments at either school?
3) Option to rotate on the surgical sub specialties during 3rd year?

Look at the new LSU hospital, the LSU medical school, and then go and walk around the trashcan Tulane calls a medical school. Then make your decision. Seriously, for the price Tulane charges, they really should have something more modern than 1950

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There was actually a guy who spoke at my Tulane interview who chose Tulane over LSU.

So my impression is that Tulane would offer more opportunities to match competitive specialties outside of Louisiana and has better national name recognition. But both schools have all the residencies you want. And Tulane students rotate at the LSU hospital as well.

If you are in-state for LSU, I think paying for Tulane would be crazy. As much as I love Tulane, Tulane's tuition is $58,500 and LSU's is $25,000. That's a huge amount of money, especially since you'll be in the same city, have access to the same hospitals, and access to similar networking opportunities in the city. If you are out-of-state, I would personally choose Tulane over LSU because the tuition difference isn't that huge and Tulane has better name recognition, the Debakey scholars program seems like it would make it easy to find publishing opportunities, and I like Tulane's student body.

Both are fine schools and will train you well. If you are in state, I would choose LSU unless you receive a sizable scholarship to Tulane or there is a substantial reason not to. A few notes from my time in New Orleans:

1. Tulane's class is largely out of state, just like their undergrad student body. This can be a plus or minus. LSU is almost entirely instate, but now accept around 10-20 out of state.

2. Tulane sends more grads to out of state residency programs based on their match lists I've seen. I think this is largely a function of the above. Out of state students probably want to do residency closer to home, and possibly set themselves up for practice outside of Louisiana. That said, many Tulane grads end up staying in state, but not to the extent LSU grads do.

3. Tulane is pass/fail for preclinical (to my knowledge), LSU does H/HP/P/F.

4. The plant and facilities at LSU are nicer from what I have seen, but Tulane is very much involved in the new hospital. This really shouldn't be a deciding factor.

5. From what I understand, LSU has a well regarded ENT department. I know first hand the department is very open to interested students.

6. Both schools are very involved in community outreach and service.

Hope that helps. I am an LSU student and have greatly enjoyed my time here. I feel that LSU is likely a slightly more "traditional" school, while Tulane is a little more unique among schools in the south. Good luck next year, both are great schools and you'll have a great time either way.

Last edited:
At my Tulane interview, I talked to a medical student who got into both Tulane and LSU. He said that he ended up getting a great financial aid package from Tulane that made it cheaper to attend than LSU.

Also, from what I've heard Tulane has an excellent neurosurg program

if your are in state, follow the money. Cheaper is better for roughly the same education.

At my Tulane interview, I talked to a medical student who got into both Tulane and LSU. He said that he ended up getting a great financial aid package from Tulane that made it cheaper to attend than LSU.

Also, from what I've heard Tulane has an excellent neurosurg program

Last time I checked we don't do Neurosurg during med school

Last time I checked we don't do Neurosurg during med school

It is good to have a "home program" that can get to know you well and vice versa.

And yes, people who are interested in neurosurgery would absolutely benefit from a home program in terms of research and rotating through.

Reactions: 1 users