MSW LPC and LCSW used interchangeably?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see so many job postings that's say LPC OR LCSW... like strictly counseling jobs asking for LCSW's or Social work jobs accepting LPCs.

I know there's a lot of overlap between each, and both professions curriculum draws on each other to some extent (ie, counseling curriculum includes advocacy and community resources and lcsw curriculum obviously includes counseling/psychotherapy).

But are they really that interchangeable?

Members don't see this ad.

There are also numerous job postings looking for LCSW or PhD Psychologist... I think it speaks more to the HR department and/or organization than it does to the interchangeability of the degrees, but if their only mission is to find anyone to conduct any kind of counseling then, yes, I suppose they are interchangeable for that and that alone.

There are also numerous job postings looking for LCSW or PhD Psychologist... I think it speaks more to the HR department and/or organization than it does to the interchangeability of the degrees, but if their only mission is to find anyone to conduct any kind of counseling then, yes, I suppose they are interchangeable for that and that alone.

That's true, makes sense... But is there really overlap in their curriculum? Ie. Counseling involving some "social work theories such ad community resources and advocacy?"

I was just in a seminar that had students from both counseling psychology/counseling education and the social work department and the biggest differences we noticed was the use of terminology. I can't speak to their theory and how it might overlap with social work's, but being that both borrow heavily from psychology, among other fields, I'm certain there is some overlap there as well.