DPT or LPC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njurkovi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My daughter seems to be equally interested in mental and physical health areas, without wanting to go the full PhD/MD route.
Given that Masters in Counseling (needed for LPC/LMFT) now requires 60 graduate hours + 3000 non-paid internship hours, the total work she would need to put in seems approximately equal to getting a DPT. The difference in earnings seems very significant (in favor of DPT). Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

LPCs are a bad ROI. They're often listed in Forbes as the worst master's degrees to get within a given year. The difference in earnings is substantial though debt may be a more of a factor with a DPT.

Side note: Those seem like wildly different career aspirations. Just sayin'

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
>Side note: Those seem like wildly different career aspirations. Just sayin'
I know :) She is starting college next year, so she has plenty time to sort it out.
Thank you for your comment

Members don't see this ad :)
The DPT program is more academically rigorous as well which accounts for a higher ROI.

she will likely change her mind multiple times in college. I’d encourage her to take classes to prepare for the most rigorous and competitive route then if she decides to do the less competitive then she can decelerate

I work "medically adjacent" and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go DPT or OT route. I can see why she's equally interested in both! If I understand it correctly, DPT programs are more competitive.

I am glad you brought this up. Seems like people like to confuse the public with these online degrees