Transfer LMFT/LPCC license b/w CA and WA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_misosoup

Reaction score
Hello,

I plan to apply for an LMFT program in CA this fall, but I have questions about license portability. My plan is to obtain a license and practice in CA first, and then move to Seattle or somewhere in Washington state in a few years, as I've always wanted to live there. In CA, there is a significant Japanese community, and being a Japanese therapist, I wish to maintain my practice there while also practicing in WA. I'm unsure whether I should start my studies in CA and then transfer to WA, or vice versa. I'm also unsure if WA state truly fit me.

Has anyone transferred their LMFT or LPCC license between these two states? How difficult is the process? Which state do you recommend I start with?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I plan to apply for an LMFT program in CA this fall, but I have questions about license portability. My plan is to obtain a license and practice in CA first, and then move to Seattle or somewhere in Washington state in a few years, as I've always wanted to live there. In CA, there is a significant Japanese community, and being a Japanese therapist, I wish to maintain my practice there while also practicing in WA. I'm unsure whether I should start my studies in CA and then transfer to WA, or vice versa. I'm also unsure if WA state truly fit me.

Has anyone transferred their LMFT or LPCC license between these two states? How difficult is the process? Which state do you recommend I start with?
I imagine LMFT or LPCC licenses are similar to psychologist licenses in this respect, in that you don't really transfer your license so much as you just apply for an additional license in the other state(s). You can then choose if you want to keep the other state license active or voluntarily relinquish it (which I would strongly recommend doing rather than just letting it lapse).

When applying for the license in the new state(s), there's often a reciprocity option, but in my experience, there are very few states that have true reciprocity with one another. Rather, you'll usually have to try to prove to the new board why your license in the other state has equivalent standards. It's usually easier just to apply for a new license as if you weren't licensed anywhere else.

Which state you train in generally doesn't have a substantial effect on where you can get licensed. Just be sure to check the state requirements and ensure your training program meets them. For example, you may need state-specific supervision forms completed.

The caveat is that the above applies to licenses for psychologists, which is really all I have experience with. Generally it's the same board that licenses psychologists, LMFTs, and LPCCs.

Last edited:
Hello,

Hello! I have my license in TX, MA, and CA and am actually applying for WA right now. If you meet the criteria for CA license the WA license isn't that bad. Once you have your full CA license, you can apply for WA by reciprocity. They will tend issue you a probationary license while they do equivalency audit, and then will let you know whether there's extra courses or requirements you need to meet before getting your full WA license. By the way, I don't remember if CA uses NCE or NCMHCE, but WA will take either.

HIGHLY recommend you get the CA license first and then go to other states. The reverse is more stringent because CA does their own damn thing and has a weird set of required courses...