Thoughts on LCSW Supervision for Counselor Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WPMO

Reaction score
Some years ago the Board of Counseling in my state decided to stop allowing hours supervised by LCSWs, Psychologists, or other professions to count towards becoming licensed as a Professional Counselor. Currently there is a push to change that, though a public request to the Board to change this policy. The public comment for that request can be found here: Virginia Regulatory Town Hall List Comments

I know we have a lot of LSCWs and LPCs here, so I thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts. Personally I wish the Board of Counseling would bring back the ability for both LCSWs and Psychologists to supervise Counselors towards licensure, but I am curious what you all think. You can also see a post about this topic here:

Members don't see this ad.

I think the multidisciplinary approach to supervision is generally a good one. It exposes trainees to multiple perspectives on mental health.

Weird that psychologists aren't included on rule change.
I agree. I think that the petitioner who introduced this proposed change is an LCSW, so that is their focus. I would hope if this change does happen it would also open the door for Psychologists to be included in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
I was unaware of this. Strange since they just expanded medicare billing rights to LPCs so you should see a lot more of them in hospitals.