Loyola University Stritch SOM Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was a kinesiology major in college and saved a lot of my physio/anatomy/nutrition textbooks thinking they might be helpful...never opened them during my first two years. The textbooks required by the classes and/or recommended by upperclassmen are more medicine-specific and more 'high-yield' than the books you probably already have. The notes and powerpoints for classes tend to be almost enough in and of themselves, even without referencing the textbooks (or at least they were in my experience). Keep your books if you want, but you'll probably not open them much (if at all) during your M1 or M2 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice.

Hey everyone, I'm a raising MSIV here at Loyola. I think it's a great medical school that can really open some doors when you get to this stage of medical school and applying for residency. I have felt totally prepared for the clinical years, and have really enjoyed it. For those of you that are worried about the match list, I'd definitely tell you not to be concerned. Loyola has matched people into all areas of medicine all across the country. Surgery (especially Ortho) was quite popular this year, with 9 students matching into ortho! If anyone has any questions, feel free to drop me a PM!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Chuck Deli!

This only makes me more excited about choosing Loyola! I can't wait until July.

We're gearing up to move from D.C. at the end of June and it's really great having you M2-M4s giving advice and reassurances.:D

~Sarah

Hey everyone, I'm a raising MSIV here at Loyola. I think it's a great medical school that can really open some doors when you get to this stage of medical school and applying for residency. I have felt totally prepared for the clinical years, and have really enjoyed it. For those of you that are worried about the match list, I'd definitely tell you not to be concerned. Loyola has matched people into all areas of medicine all across the country. Surgery (especially Ortho) was quite popular this year, with 9 students matching into ortho! If anyone has any questions, feel free to drop me a PM!!

That is great news to me since I am currently doing research in ortho and am seriously considering the field in the future!

Hey guys,

I have just been following the thread for a while but I think i'll update my status for everyone. I'm going to Loyola for sure in the fall! I can't wait!

so i know the roommate listing won't come out until sometime in june since it's not even due until the 25th - and i want a roommate that's another med student, but i'm worried that alot of places will be gone by the time the listing comes out. i'm sure it won't be that bad since they're on this timeline every year, but can any current students speak to this?

i'm worried mainly because i am looking for a newer place, since i have pretty bad allergies in the chicago area (i know this bc i did my undergrad there), and buildings with older construction only aggravate these. anyway i'm afraid if i wait too long my choices might be limited, but i can't exactly sign a lease without a roommate....

so finally, if anyone is interested in finding a roommate and wants to live in a newer place (close to the school, not downtown) here's a little about myself- i'm a girl, i'll be 22 in a cpl of weeks, i went to northwestern, and i've lived in DC for the past year working at NIH. i'll be back in the midwest at the end of this month, so if anyone is interested, PM me and we can talk more.

sotired (or anyone), did you ever get an answer on the timeline for getting housing? I'm just wondering since I'm planning on starting to look for a place this coming week.

Hey guys,

I have just been following the thread for a while but I think i'll update my status for everyone. I'm going to Loyola for sure in the fall! I can't wait!

sotired (or anyone), did you ever get an answer on the timeline for getting housing? I'm just wondering since I'm planning on starting to look for a place this coming week.

hey, no, i haven't gotten one yet but am still curious...

Has anyone ever had problems with using macbooks in terms of opening power points in MacWord, etc? I just bought a mac but am wondering if I should return it and get a pc.

Has anyone ever had problems with using macbooks in terms of opening power points in MacWord, etc? I just bought a mac but am wondering if I should return it and get a pc.

I know it's not much of an answer to your question, but I visited Loyola about a week ago and I was told that while Macs will work, the building is more set up for PCs and that their tech guy favors PCs...I was considering getting a mac, but I think that I'm going to stick with a pc for that reason.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion after talking to people at Stritch. Btw - Apple has the worst customer support and the most limited warranty I have ever seen. Once it comes tomorrow, Im shipping it right back and going back to Bill Gates.

I'm guessing that most of you have moved over to the board for incoming students...but there is not as much discussion there.

How is the next month and a half looking for you all? (Moving out at home, and moving in at Forest Park for me...along with a two week Habitat trip to Honduras in June and Lifest in Oshkosh)

Are you getting excited? (I am!!)

Are there any plans for us meeting up over the summer?

I'm guessing that most of you have moved over to the board for incoming students...but there is not as much discussion there.

How is the next month and a half looking for you all? (Moving out at home, and moving in at Forest Park for me...along with a two week Habitat trip to Honduras in June and Lifest in Oshkosh)

It's crazy that there's so little time left! My husband and I are spending this month packing up, and getting ready to move. I'm finishing up a manuscript from my master's thesis (and hopefully submitting it within the next few weeks for publication). We leave for Chicago from D.C. July 2nd. From then on I will be unpacking, shopping for furniture and odds and ends, and settling in to the new city! We're very excited about moving, and I can't wait to meet everyone! Are people planning on ordering books and school stuff before class or waiting till after?

I would also be up for a meeting in early July~:hardy:

Sarah

I am waiting until I get there to buy books and such...apparently there is a book sale where m3s and m4s sell us their old books?

either way, i'm going to wait it out until i get there.

i hope that your move goes smoothly, sarah!

Members don't see this ad :)

I am in Amman, JO enjoying the time off before our harddddddd work!

I am in the class of 2011. Send me a post if you are too :)

hey folks- i'm joining the party a little late, but i'm glad to say i'll be at stritch this july! i recently got off the waitlist, and i couldn't be more excited! :D

One of our classmates actually started audio recordings of the lectures available as MP3s (thanks Tom) that some people found useful.
I'm glad you brought this up Flopotomist! I've been away from the list for a while and meaning to catch up. At my undergraduate school we used Blackboard to post our anatomy/physiology lectures online recorded as MP3's. It is a huge help... e.g. you can review your course content while also keeping up on the various mundane necessities of life like driving, doing laundry, etc. I had considered proposing something like this to my fellow 2011-ers, but was not sure how to handle the logistics of posting the MP3's so that everyone would be able to access them. Are you able to put me in touch with Tom or tell me how he handled this? I'm definitely an advocate of technology in the curriculum, and think that maybe I can help to implement something like this for the incoming M1's. Congrats on your successful first year, and I hope you are having a great summer!

This isn't meant to freak anyone out, I just thought that you guys might be interested in knowing that the Class of 2010 is really sucking it up. I have a friend in the class and another one who is a 4th year. I guess the class of 2010 just had around 20-22 students who failed and will be taking classes this summer. The deans of the med-school are very concerned, and trying to figure out how so many people could be doing so poorly and how they got accepted (whether they were truely qualified for acceptance). Many faculty members are upset because this means that many of them will be "forced" to teach remedial classes to these students so that they can go onto 2nd year. There is nothing wrong with Loyola or its curriculum, I would go there in a heart beat. However it is really interesting to learn that over 20 med students had to repeat first year. I wonder if they had someone "hook" them up with their acceptance.

This isn't meant to freak anyone out, I just thought that you guys might be interested in knowing that the Class of 2010 is really sucking it up. I have a friend in the class and another one who is a 4th year. I guess the class of 2010 just had around 20-22 students who failed and will be taking classes this summer. The deans of the med-school are very concerned, and trying to figure out how so many people could be doing so poorly and how they got accepted (whether they were truely qualified for acceptance). Many faculty members are upset because this means that many of them will be "forced" to teach remedial classes to these students so that they can go onto 2nd year. There is nothing wrong with Loyola or its curriculum, I would go there in a heart beat. However it is really interesting to learn that over 20 med students had to repeat first year. I wonder if they had someone "hook" them up with their acceptance.

This is certainly cause for concern. If 20-22 students are failing, perhaps it is somewhat of a reflection on the faculty? I do agree that students need to take charge of their education and make sure that they are doing everything necessary to pass their classes...but 20-22 students failing is quite a large number to not consider the faculty's role in the students' failure. I guess it is just a shock to me that 20-22 students have failed...has anyone heard of this happening at other schools?

mdapp06

I think most of the people who are repeating are doing so because of physio. most of these people I believe were fine for all other classes (but I could be wrong in the case of anatomy).

with that said, i don't necessarily think the teaching is to blame. the physio and anatomy professors are some of the most dedicated faculty we have (to the material and the students). the material wasn't taught poorly in my view, nor were the concepts exceptionally difficult. those who failed may have been tripped up by the volume of material, or having to balance two classes at once during the latter half of the second semester.

I think it has more to do with being a little bit too involved in extracurriculars. we have a number of amazing people who have a lot of dedication to their passions in life, and it can sometimes be easy to underestimate how much studying is really required to learn the material. honestly, it comes down to how much individual effort a person puts in and how they choose to balance their time.

Well... this is my first time posting in a while... but I felt I had to respond to this. First, I don't know if 20 some odd people failed in the first year of 2010. But, had they, it certainly wasn't the faculty's fault. The faculty is the same faculty that they've had for years with just a few exceptions and it certainly wouldn't cause so many people to fail. Consider that the lectures are set up very differently than your undergrad lectures, with each lecture taught by different people. So, the chance for variation in the total quality of lectures is very minimal when you compare class to class. Furthermore, had so many people failed a certain class they still would have the chance to make it up later on in the summer. If you fail a class... it doesn't mean that you're held back. If you are held back, it certainly isn't the end of the world. You still take your 5 years and you still get your MD. That's a hell of a lot better than most people in the process can say.

However, I can understand that the 2011's of you are concerned. All I can say is that the 2009's did phenominally and they had the same faculty that the 2010er's did. Most 2010er's will probably tell you that the faculty was fair and played well. If that 20something took place, I would chalk it up to statistical variation and come to school aiming to work as hard as you can. Ultimately, you aren't the statistics... you're just the product of you and the amazing faculty that we have at Loyola. Good luck, and I hope you come to Loyola.

dope

As a 10er, I was curious about the earlier posting that mentioned 20 or so of my classmates had failed a class and were remediating this summer. So I dug around a bit and found that number to be exaggerated. We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 people remediating out of a class of 140. When you start at Loyola, you go through a good week of orientation. At the beginning of proceedings, you'll hear from an amazing guy named Dr. Sheehan (he's an MD who's also a priest; he's a “FatherDoctor” with letters after his name none of us will achieve). He'll tell you, about three students out of any given class will not finish med school, and along the way, many of us/you will stumble or blow a test or two. But the real challenge is to learn everything you can in science courses and in clinic so that you may become an extraordinary physician and a caring person. None of us are delusional in thinking that med school doesn't provide its share of moments when we might be less than extraordinary, like when blowing said test or when being perhaps a bit too eager or competitive. Heavens knows in this relatively small and close-knit community, there are times when the best of us can be catty or petty, and report the demise of a class of students or the indifference of faculty. But this school is fantastic. Those professors that are reportedly complaining about having to work this summer, I'm sure are giving their all to their handful of students. I doubt they're complaining. I was blown away, as you will likely be 11-zees, at how far the faculty will go to help you understand the material. Try to be in the anatomy lab when there is not a faculty member or tutor floating around. Anytime I asked for help, I got it in spades. Anytime I called an attending to shadow or explore research, I was welcomed and encouraged.

Rest assured, 2011, you guys will find Loyola to be a tough but rewarding experience. You’ll find yourself surrounded by passionate, curious people who want you to succeed. So, yes, three out of any class may not make it, but that’s certainly better than the old “look to your left, look to your right, only one of you will survive four years.” So no worries. And, if may say so, you'll find out when you get here what a great class 2010 is: we're smart, funny, incredibly caring people who are devoted to becoming talented physicians. And we’re looking forward to getting to know you.

Thanks insert pun! I'm encouraged everyday that Loyola was the right choice.:love: It's amazing that people like you from the older classes come here to clear up rumors, set things straight, and welcome us. It's been stressful packing and getting ready to move halfway across the country but not scary; I know I'm going to love it once I'm there.

~Sarah

I like to read posts about Stritch because my son graduated 2 weeks ago. It is an amazing school that helps their students develop into kind, caring and competent doctors. When I initially read the post about the huge number of M1s failing I was skeptical. I'm glad that some of the current students have come in here to clear it up. I remember at the White Coat Ceremony for my son's class there was a feeling of disbelief and almost unrest. It seems that the week before the WCC the class had taken the first test of medical school and many of the students failed. They were obviously in a state of disbelief. These students expected to be the best and brightest in med school just like they had always been throughout life. Fr. Sheehan addressed the situation in his talk to the students and the families. He said that the faculty was there to help and guide and teach the students, but the students had to uphold their end of the bargain. Medical school is very hard and you really can't skate through it and expect to be successful. He stressed that "we(Loyola) picked you and we aren't going to let you fail. We are here to help you through this problem." And he was right. At graduation 138 students became doctors. You will love Loyola. You'll have to work hard but the end results are amazing. Good Luck to all of you.

Hello to all. I'm so excited to meet the new incoming class. I am a rising second year and absolutely love our school, the people, the city (minus the cold cold winters) and studying medicine. I'm around for the rest of the summer so get in touch if you want to meet up, ask questions, get a tour around anywhere, etc. PS... for those of you who love "Flop" we are soon-to-be-when-he-gets-back-from-Africa roommates ;) We both cook and love laughing A LOT and hopefully will get to do a bit of entertaining before the school year begins.

Just browsing over the postings it seems people are stressing about hearing of people having to remediate certain courses. So let me say this, PLEASE take med school one step at a time. Don't be overly arrogant but also don't let tricky questions and high volume work load make you doubt your abilities. You all got in for a reason and you all will be fine. There are a ton of people willing to help you out. I think some of my greatest teachers this year were my fellow classmates and upperclassmen who would go out of their way to go over stuff together. I was a solo studier in college but slowly found that while I learn many things best studying quietly on my own, once anatomy and physio started it REALLY helped to go over things with other people. Plus, this was the first time I actually enjoyed working to learn the material. I had a healthy social life and did some extracurriculars and did just fine....and have confidence that my classmates who need to take the extra test(s) this summer to pass first year will be just fine as well. Believe me, they are all incredibly bright...and I'm sick of hearing how the 2009ers are smarter than us!! We have an AMAZING class and that is all I'm going to say. I wouldn't change who I was going through this med school experience with for anything.

As a 10er, I was curious about the earlier posting that mentioned 20 or so of my classmates had failed a class and were remediating this summer. So I dug around a bit and found that number to be exaggerated. We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 people remediating out of a class of 140.

This is false. I can name off several current 10ers and those who just graduated who will verify that it is closer to the 20-22 mark. I don't have the exact numbers, but it was something like 5-6 failed physio, 5-6 failed histo, 6-7 failed anatomy..etc. Dig a little deeper. If you need help, I will let you know where to look. Faculty and upper classment currently refer to 10ers as "The Whiners". Guess you guys have a reputation for complaining about everything.

"He'll tell you, about three students out of any given class will not finish med school, and along the way, many of us/you will stumble or blow a test or two."

I just wanted to add to this comment made, that Dr. Sheehan also stresses that those who do not finish did NOT leave medicine because they failed, but rather because they chose to do other fulfilling work with their lives. I don't believe this is a cover up either because I know if you do "blow a test" or suddenly are not doing well, the faculty and deans take note and meet with students personally to discuss what can be done. It is not in any way in a medical school's best interest to let even one student fail if they can do anything about it, they lose money and reputation. My biggest piece of advice for 2011ers reading this thread and wondering if they are going to do ok in med school is this:

Never be shy to ask questions, get help, use multiple sources, contact professors directly to meet with you (all the ones I have met with were really excited to help and even the ones I did not learn well from in lecture turned out to be great one on one tutors), ask 2nd years stuff (I hope I remember as much as the 2nd years that I bugged all the time this year hehe) ... you get the point. Oh and one last thing, don't be ashamed if you do poorly on something. If you don't want to go around telling everyone that is fine, I understand, but you may be missing out on the help of people who really do care how you are doing and could offer some help or encouragement.

I hope this is the last posting I have to make about not worrying about failing out of med school ... you should be looking forward to it, not fearing it. To offer a different more positive perspective some of you may come in ike me, with no background in anatomy, physiology, embryology, immunology, etc and loved and did well in all of these courses. Stay positive. We each have our unique experience once in medical school, but it is a journey that individually will be rewarding and life changing and collectively as a class I have no doubt you will enjoy thoroughly. Best of luck to all of you. Enjoy the rest of your summer. See you at orientation!!

"Faculty and upper classment currently refer to 10ers as "The Whiners". Guess you guys have a reputation for complaining about everything."

...And other upperclassmen and faculty have refered to us as "an awesome class... wish my class was half as cool", "way more fun and engaged in learning in small groups than last year's class", "our most amorphous class yet ... in a great way, I'm excited to see you all develop over the next 3 years"

Another thing you will quickly learn in med school is there is a LOT of hearsay ... the only hearsay you should bother listening to is when you hear someone down in anatomy say, "Dr. D showed us this" (my classmates will appreciate this hehe)

Well, I think we've beat this bear to death. So... how about them White Sox? Boy do they suuuuuck...

I'll still love them though.

This is false. I can name off several current 10ers and those who just graduated who will verify that it is closer to the 20-22 mark. I don't have the exact numbers, but it was something like 5-6 failed physio, 5-6 failed histo, 6-7 failed anatomy..etc. Dig a little deeper. If you need help, I will let you know where to look. Faculty and upper classment currently refer to 10ers as "The Whiners". Guess you guys have a reputation for complaining about everything.

Uh, are you even a student at Loyola? Your posting history seems to indicate otherwise.

Angry and bitter ... definitely not the adjectives that describe a Stritch student ;)

Again, if you are new to the area and want to hang out or ask me any questions before orientation send me a message. Can't wait to welcome you all to SSOM.

Uh, are you even a student at Loyola? Your posting history seems to indicate otherwise.

No I am not a student at Loyola. However I am currently working in a research lab at the Medical Center. As a result we have quite a few 2008ers, 2009er,2010ers who have rotated through our lab and mentioned what is happening with the class of 2010. I was just relaying the information that I have received from them as well as my PI (who gives several lectures to the med students and is on the adcom). As a result what I have written is not just hearsay.

No I am not a student at Loyola. However I am currently working in a research lab at the Medical Center. As a result we have quite a few 2008ers, 2009er,2010ers who have rotated through our lab and mentioned what is happening with the class of 2010. I was just relaying the information that I have received from them as well as my PI (who gives several lectures to the med students and is on the adcom). As a result what I have written is not just hearsay.

Umm, better check your Websters...as you now describe it, it is "just hearsay" and nothing more...it may all be valid and accurate, but it is only your hearsay at this point...I have no dog in this fight, BTW...

That's cool; thanks for offering your info. I think I'll wait to meet the other classes before forming my own opinions, though.

Almost a month before orientation... I'm really excited! I got the letter last week about social events. Did anyone else laugh at the "commentary" in the letter? I like how it talks about the bus to the Sox game and warned everybody to notify the school if they're not taking it back... "Not a good way to start making friends!" I also got a chuckle out of the "Laughs will be plentiful" line. Okay, maybe I just have a corny sense of humor.

Orientation is a lot of fun. You will learn a lot about your classmates and start making friends immediately. Dean Wronski will give a talk that summarizes all of the accomplishments of people in your class. You will be amazed at what interesting things people have done before coming to med school. I participated in all of the orientation week events, but I enjoyed the less formal evening social gatherings the best, so if nothing else be sure to make and appearance there ... plus upperclassmen will show up to these. I met 2nd,3rd, and 4th years at such events. I also suggest if you get the chance to go spend some time in the city before school starts. It is really a fantastic city with a lot to explore and you will have little time once school begins.

I can't fly out to look for an apartment so I'm trying to find one via internet. Does anyone have any tips on how not to get ripped off (I'm slightly paranoid ya) etc.? I'm currently interested in an apartment building on Harlem and Lake (forest park), does anyone know anything about it? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Harlem and Lake puts you at a good location for social activities. I am going to Oak Park tonight, when I drive by I'll try to share with you any opinion I have on apartments around that intersection because I can't really picture them right now. Good luck. I took a place in a house without seeing it last year with a 4th year and another 1st year. There should be postings on Loyola's forum from other students with available rooms in their apartments, condos, houses, etc. I lived in a single for two years in college, but decided to go with roommates for my first year of med school. While roommates always offer some risks and challenges, I don't think I would have liked to come home to an empty house. Studying and such can be a bit isolating so I think it is nice not to be alone when you are "off duty". Also, living with an upperclassman gave me a way to become friends with his friends and also to ask for advice about school when I needed it.

I'm having a hard time logging on to the Stritch website. If any of you can get on, can you tell me the dates for fall break next year?

Also, for current students, is planning a vacation an all right idea, or am I going to need the week to study?

Thanks guys!!

Leah

I'm having a hard time logging on to the Stritch website. If any of you can get on, can you tell me the dates for fall break next year?

Also, for current students, is planning a vacation an all right idea, or am I going to need the week to study?

Thanks guys!!

Leah

fall break of first year is between MCBG and Anatomy. So you'll have nothing you'll need to study as you'll have just taken your first final and not started your next class yet. so it's a great time to unwind or get away for a bit. just don't end up getting sick for the whole week like i did... :oops:

It seems that both luhs.org and stritch's website have been down for a day now. Ive tried different computers and connections, nothing works.

fall break of first year is between MCBG and Anatomy. So you'll have nothing you'll need to study as you'll have just taken your first final and not started your next class yet. so it's a great time to unwind or get away for a bit. just don't end up getting sick for the whole week like i did... :oops:

thanks! do you happen to have access to the dates of the break?

leah

It seems that both luhs.org and stritch's website have been down for a day now. Ive tried different computers and connections, nothing works.

I think I'll have to call about that tomorrow..does anyone else have access??

The tentative schedule says September 29-October 7 (in the prematriculation guide).

The dates given by "Minijoy" are correct. You will definitely NOT need to study during it either. Also there is a service opportunity called Urban Plunge during break for only 3 days. I went on it and really enjoyed the experience. After Urban plunge I went to Phili to visit my then boyfriend. Enjoy the break. You might get this crazy idea that maybe you should start looking at stuff for anatomy, but I can tell you, and I don't mean to scare you, that there is really no way to "prepare" for anatomy .... you just sort of get thrown into it. It can feel overwhelming the first week, but you soon learn how to adapt to a TOTALLY different type of studying and class. Just stay calm. I was freaking out the first week, but soon got into a mode and ended up (I can't believe I am saying this) liking the course in the end and even missing it a bit once we were in physio. It is just a lot of fun to always be with your classmates. You get to really know eachother during it.

The dates given by "Minijoy" are correct. You will definitely NOT need to study during it either. Also there is a service opportunity called Urban Plunge during break for only 3 days. I went on it and really enjoyed the experience. After Urban plunge I went to Phili to visit my then boyfriend. Enjoy the break. You might get this crazy idea that maybe you should start looking at stuff for anatomy, but I can tell you, and I don't mean to scare you, that there is really no way to "prepare" for anatomy .... you just sort of get thrown into it. It can feel overwhelming the first week, but you soon learn how to adapt to a TOTALLY different type of studying and class. Just stay calm. I was freaking out the first week, but soon got into a mode and ended up (I can't believe I am saying this) liking the course in the end and even missing it a bit once we were in physio. It is just a lot of fun to always be with your classmates. You get to really know eachother during it.

Thanks, I'm thinking about booking a diving trip, when is the urban plunge experience? is that in chicago?

Yes, it is in Chicago. For us last year it was the first three days of fall break I believe. There were two groups. One went to Austin community and the one I was on went to Pilsen (a Mexican area of Chicago). I was really glad I did the trip. It allowed me to learn more about the city we serve and do some fun volunteer work.