Loyola University Stritch SOM Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else got the letter?

I was so in love with this school when I interviewed. The day was amazing, the staff was caring and the students were so cool.

They also have the most gorgeous gym on the planet!

Who's going to Stritch?:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

welcome to stritch! :) if you have any questions as you prepare to start here, with the move / buying things / whatever, feel more than free to ask. those of us who are current students were in your shoes not so long ago and would be happy to share our (vast) wisdom :) again, welcome to stritch. its a great school!

I'm about 90% sure I'll be at Stritch next year. I just need to check out a few more schools, and I want to see the financial aid differences between the schools I get into. I also want to see where my girlfriend ends up for med school.

Money aside though, Loyola is my top choice. Such an awesome atmosphere, and I feel like I'd fit in perfectly with the students there. If the class of 2011 is anything like the class of 2010, it'll be an awesome place to learn. I followed around a first year a few weeks after my interview and was blown away by how cooperative everyone was.

Hopefully I'll get to meet everyone in July!

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY for the Loyola class of 2011. I am so excited about Loyola and I will definitely be there next year. I can't wait til this thread gets rolling!

WOW! I'm glad you started this thread! And I'm sorry that I wasn't on SDN when you got your letter so that I could congratulate you!!! I am pretty sure I'll be at Loyola--I loved it!!!

I feel like I just opened a Wonka bar and found a golden ticket! I loved Loyola, and am about 90% sure that this is where I'll be going. The only thing that could dissuade me at this point is a big 'ole chunk of change from some other school (dream on). Congrats to all who have been accepted, and best wishes to those still awaiting interviews/acceptances! :luck:

where are you all from originally? is chicago home for you? do any of you plan on going back to loyola before making your decision?

where are you all from originally? is chicago home for you? do any of you plan on going back to loyola before making your decision?

Firstly, congrats to you all on your acceptances!

Secondly, in answer to leah, I hope to someday call Loyola home! Unless as someone else stated, someone's going to go be offering me a chunk o' money, I'll also be attending Loyola. Home-home is originally a smaller town in IL, not toooooo far away from the city, but not the back country (at least not anymore). Currently I'm attending the U of I at Urbana Champaign.

I'm super excited! I don't know if I'll go see it again, maybe . . . I drive past it everytime I go to my grandma's house, and the last few times I got goosebumps just because I wanted to go there oh so badly! Now I'm in, and I'll probably be be attending come July. I can't wait to meet you all and see what an awesome class we're bound to have.

Congrats again, we're all going to be doctors!!!

Congratulations to everyone on the Loyola acceptance! Its my first acceptance, and I was SO excited when I got the letter in the mail. I'm hoping to go back to the campus for a day and shadow a student to get a feel for what the classes are like.

I'd really recommend that you go shadow a student if you're unsure as to whether Loyola is your top choice. It definitely helped me to see the school under less stressful conditions than during the interview. I had a great time talking to the students for the 4 hours I was in anatomy lab with them. They were very honest about what they liked about the school, and didn't have too much negative to say, except that they wish the bookstore was on campus (apparently it's at the undergrad campus).

I plan on walking around the campus with my family when I go home for Thanksgiving. I live about 10 minutes away, so it's no big hassle.

i'm glad that there is some activity here! You guys are the ones I want to get to know, seeing as we'll hopefully be classmates come july. i'm really excited. I am pretty sure that Loyola is my top choice, I might rather be in Milwaukee for family, but I loved Loyola. I am thinking of perhaps bringing my family so that they can see why I'm choosing it...I don't know if Loyola is open to that. I would also like to shadow a student. I've been able to sit in on class and small group at different times and I really enjoyed it!

Hey everyone!!

Are we gonna be Stritchers or what?

Yay baby MD's! Yeah! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked it up, they're the Ramblers. The mascot looks like some sort of wolf... Interesting...

I wonder if there is much interaction with the undergraduates, as the campus is so far away....

haha! go ramblers!! i doubt that there is much interaction with the undergrad. i see signs for loyola all over chicago and it makes me smile! "social justice isn't just for rock stars"!

i've subscribed to this thread, so i get emails and smile whenever you all post :)

Hey guys

I got accepted almost a month ago, but just found this thread. I will be at SSOM next fall.

there isn't a whole lot of interaction with the undergrad, partially because of the distance and partially because we're just busy. the only time i have seen the undergrad students is at their sporting events (yes, go ramblers!). last year i shadowed a family practice physician who does sports medicine for the undergrad, and we watched the basketball games and spent time in the training room with the athletes before and after the game and during halftime. that's pretty fun. but yeah, not a whole lot of interaction with the undergrad students.

Ok, so am I the only one to say where home is? Leah, I Don't even think that you responded to your own question . . . what's up with that? Are we going to be a distant class as it is or what?

you can look at my mdapps :)

I am from Wisconsin (suburb of Milwaukee, Menomonee Falls), I go to school at Valparaiso University (Valparaiso, Indiana), and I am living in Chicago this semester participating in an urban studies semester.

I would like to get to know all of you. PM me and I'll tell you my last name so you can facebook me :)

Ok, so am I the only one to say where home is? Leah, I Don't even think that you responded to your own question . . . what's up with that? Are we going to be a distant class as it is or what?

I'm from Western Springs, a smaller suburb which is less than a 10 minute drive from the med center.

I got my letter a few weeks ago. I fell in love with SSOM during the interview too, I've driven past it a zillion times to hang out with some buddies who live in Broadview, just a few blocks away, but never thought much of it. Its such an amazing place though! I haven't decided to go there yet, but unless I get way better financial aid somewhere else, I'll be at SSOM. I grew up in Chicago, right by Midway airport (about 20 minutes from SSOM). It'll be fun to meet all of you.

Ross

SWEET! I am so excited about this, you guys! Anyone know where we can get T-shirts and stuff? That would be awesome.

Maybe in spring we should get together for a drink somewhere downtown or something too. Have a little SDN'ers going to SSOM party or something. :hardy:

SWEET! I am so excited about this, you guys! Anyone know where we can get T-shirts and stuff? That would be awesome.

Maybe in spring we should get together for a drink somewhere downtown or something too. Have a little SDN'ers going to SSOM party or something. :hardy:

I would be up for that! I would love to meet some of my future classmates. I'll be in the city until Dec 14, and then I'll be in NW Indiana next semester and will probably be coming up to see Loyola again anyways (and Chicago is an hour from Valpo).

What kind of tshirts are you thinking???

Leah

Doctor ___________,

These ideas sound pretty sweet! I'm really excited for going here and meeting fellow classmates. As each day passes the more and more I want to just withdraw other apps, cancel other interviews, and start buying up my Loyola apparel as well! I think I'm more excited about being a Stricher, Rambler, or whateverelse you could call one who attends Strich School of Medicine, even more so than my undergrad, which is a big ten and everything. I also think meeting/getting to know you all would really make me want to attend even more, so I'm game for ANYTHING! let me know and keep me updated on your status and everything, sound good?

Talk to you all again sooooooOOOOoOOoon.

Again, CONGRATS You future Doctors!!!

moi

I know, right? Is it horrible that I want to wear Loyola clothing every day of the week? Can I be voted the biggest nerd of our class??

OUR CLASS you guys! OUR CLASS!! Woo!!

Yea, our class, what what?! Is anyone, besides Leah from out of state? Have you guys started thinking about where you are going to live? I'm really excited, and wish I had a lease all set up . . . I think I might have to fight you for that nerd title Jackie!

(I thought Loyola didn't have competition?!--muahaha!)

I was reading through last year's posts around may and they were talking about where to live and such....I'm so excited I could fast forward until then!!

Hey guys! I've lived in Chicago for 15 years, so if anybody has questions about local life, feel free to ask me. I went back to SSOM for my second look today. The admissions office set me up with an M1 student to take me around campus/classes. It was even better than the interview day! First we went to lecture, which was nicely organized and easy to follow (abdominal viscera), then to dissection lab (great computer assisted instruction on what dissections to do), then to Patient Centered Medicine group (where we learned to do some basic physical examination skills like percussing the thorax). All the students I met were nice and extremely helpful, and the upper classmen do not look down on the M1's at all (even prospective M1's like me). Somebody asked a question earlier about T-shirts... you can get 'em and other nifty Loyola merchandise in the little shop by the health club. By the way, how do you set this up so thread posts will go to your e-mail account? I will be way more active on the list if I get this stuff in my mailbox. :)

you can subscribe to the thread (upper right hand corner of the page, i think)...let me look and repost after I'm done typing this. I don't think you can respond via email, but it sends all new posts to your email box...it's great. i get excited whenever anyone is writing about loyola!!

yeah, go to thread tools on the upper right and subscribe

Does anyone know if we should forward our fall semester grades as soon as we get all of them or just wait until the end of the school year and send Stritch a final transcript?

I am not sure about the grades. I don't remember it being said either way in the things that they sent me. Good question, though.

My best guess here would be that as long as you have been accepted Loyola only needs to see your FINAL transcript. They will not really need to see just your fall grades, unless I guess if you are graduating early.

but this is just my best guess, I suppose I could be wrong.

Hope you docs are preparing those stomachs for your Thanksgiving Feasts!

I am looking forward to thanksgiving, I am home from school already. I hope you all have a great thanksgiving celebrating your acceptance with family!

Have a fantastic Turkey Day, everyone!
Hurray for the Class of 2011! :clap:
We all certainly do have a lot to be thankful for.

Everytime I look at my acceptance letter (It is on my fridge!!) I get so excited.
I don't understand the posts about people not being ecstatic when they get into school.

I second that. Happy Thanksgiving, all.

I should know my answer from Stritch within a week and a half if I'm lucky. If I get in me and my husband will have a tough decision to make, but Loyola is my top choice!

:D :D :D

Hope to join this fantastic incoming class!

I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I did, I am enjoying my time in Wisconsin, but I'm headed back to Chicago tomorrow night :)

My Grandma has a really hard time saying Loyola, she leaves out that first "o"--so, she says Lyola :) I guess she's hoping I choose a school that she can pronounce....she's practicing though :)

It's official...I've been accepted to Loyola!

It'll either be here (my top choice) or GW if my husband really wants to stay. We will see but I'm so excited at the possibility of having you as classmates!:love:

YAY!:D

Boo for a foot of snow, however...that's a bit excessive :smuggrin:

Yay! Welcome to the Loyola Acceptance Thread, where we're all SUPER excited! For sure keep us updated on your choice please!

maybe in July we'll all meet!

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be lurking and posting...you'll know when we've made our final decision.

:D OMG so excited!

~minijoy

Congrats minijoy! It's a great feeling to be accepted to a top-choice school. I'm in a similar boat as you about Loyola. It's definitely my top choice, although a few factors might otherwise influence my decision - namely money and where my girlfriend ends up going to medical school.

Anyone know how generous Loyola is with grants and such? Is there somewhere where we can start to fill out institutional financial aid applications?

Congrats minijoy! It's a great feeling to be accepted to a top-choice school. I'm in a similar boat as you about Loyola. It's definitely my top choice, although a few factors might otherwise influence my decision - namely money and where my girlfriend ends up going to medical school.

Anyone know how generous Loyola is with grants and such? Is there somewhere where we can start to fill out institutional financial aid applications?

Thanks BKadow! Good luck to you too making your decision. I don't think we start the finaid stuff until the FAFSA in Jan. From what I hear, they do have some scholarships and stuff. Perhaps a current student would like to comment further?

It's official...I've been accepted to Loyola!

It'll either be here (my top choice) or GW if my husband really wants to stay. We will see but I'm so excited at the possibility of having you as classmates!:love:

YAY!:D

Boo for a foot of snow, however...that's a bit excessive :smuggrin:

CONGRATS!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And yes---boo snow. Though, it is lovely when you look at the tree brances instead of the dirty street slush...

Revealing my ultra-nerdyness: Jackie, Leah and company, if you want to get a jump on donning Loyola gear everyday of the week I came across the virtual SSOM gift shop at www.shopLUHS.org. They have t-shirts, sweatshirts, a hoodie and some other Loyola stuff. The inventory is low, guessing for the holiday season. Better jump on it quick! I grabbed a hoodie for the winter...BRRRR!

:D

~minijoy

Oh, and about the discussion of who's from out of state--I'm from Columbus, Ohio but I've been in DC for a year and a half completing a master's degree. My husband's looking for jobs in Chicago now! I have family in Chicagoland so I'm ridiculously excited about being home in the Midwest.:love:

it's really cold in chicago right now, i'd be glad to be somewhere warmer (or to get a loyola hoodie, i suppose!)

are any of you in school? I am finishing up my semester in Chicago now, and it's back to Valpo for me for next semester. I am taking tap dance :D

Hey you guys---

Lovin' the SSOM thread. So hot. Did anyone else have their college transcripts sent over there yet? Yeah, I'm overachievin'! Haha!!

I'm going to check out that link, Minijoy.

Oh and for the record, I am originally from California and my favorite ice cream flavor is definitely cookie dough. Or maybe chocolate. Oh, well. A scoop of each.

There is a girl from my undergrad who I think is going to end up at Loyola next year too!!

And no, I haven't sent my transcripts, but I'm still in school, so that doesn't apply to me :)