Loyola University Stritch SOM Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ambulancedriver, thanks so much for your response. decisions decisions....

Members don't see this ad.

I am so excited for Loyola, but this apartment hunting is crazy!
And I've only just begun :)

When do Loyola's orientation and then classes begin for this Fall term?

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone who got in!!

I received my letter in late Oct and I just now found this thread.

I’m really excited about meeting all of you.

does anyone know when spring break is next year, or how I can find out? My family is trying to plan a vacation with everyone....I told them they'd probably have to work around me ;)

does anyone know when spring break is next year, or how I can find out? My family is trying to plan a vacation with everyone....I told them they'd probably have to work around me ;)

Stritch has a "Mid-Semester Vacation Break" during second semester from February 23-March 2. Second semester ends on May 16th. This is the link to the 2007-2008 Academic Calendar on the Prematriculation Web Guide (this is a tentative academic calendar).

mdapp06

Sorry I forgot to post the link. Here it is:

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/prematric/calendar.htm

I thought of another question for a Loyola student. Are there any opportunities to work with a physician in a rural community, possibly for a weekend or during a break? Thanks.

i don't know of any sort of official rural medicine shadow opportunities during your first 2 years. with that said, it is totally something you could set up on your own. there are a lot of loyola alums around the chicagoland area (or possibly back home, wherever 'home' is for you), and i'd bet some of them would let you shadow them for a day or whatever. i'd say it could probably be arranged if you wanted the experience, but i haven't heard if such an opportunity is already set up and ready to go. also, on spring break, there are service trips (very rural...one went to kenya, the other to louisiana) that you could do...but they probably aren't exactly the opportunities you were thinking of...

I thought of another question for a Loyola student. Are there any opportunities to work with a physician in a rural community, possibly for a weekend or during a break? Thanks.

there were a couple of opportunities that we were told about during this past year. one was through the Illinois Academy of Family Physicians. basically, it was an paid, 4-week externship where you get placed with a FP who best matches the type of experience you're hoping to get out of the program. they have both urban and rural type settings available. though this program is available to all IL med students, it seems loyola is heavily represented b/c we have such an active FP interest group here.

another program I vaguely recall was sponsored either by the illinois state medical society or illinois hospital association. you are paid to work with physicians in one of several hospitals all over the state (most in central and southern IL away from Chicago). again, this is also available to all IL med students.

hey,any current students know of any relatively newly built apartment complexes or condos for rent (in the suburbs, closer to campus). I know someone mentioned 100 Forest Place in Oak Park...any other suggestions?

Thank you for responding to my question. I'll be looking into those programs.

On another note, I have a dilema. I'll be starting at Loyola this summer, but I'll be out of the country from early June until the day before school starts. I live in Arizona and I'm looking for a place to live. I would like to get housing squared away before I leave.

So my question is... anyone looking for a roomate? I'd prefer to live close to the school; I'm really not a fan of commuting long distances. I will probably be driving to Chicago the first of June to look for a place.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested. Thanks. I can not wait to meet you all July 23.

hey,any current students know of any relatively newly built apartment complexes or condos for rent (in the suburbs, closer to campus). I know someone mentioned 100 Forest Place in Oak Park...any other suggestions?

Most of the places in Oak Park and Forest Park tend to be older buildings. 100 Forest Place is very nice, but it is definitely on the upper end of rent prices. You may have better luck finding newer places in LaGrange.

Also, I continue to get emails about places for rent that other students or residents are moving out of. If anyone wants these forwarded to them, PM me your email address.

Laurie

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband and I lived at 100 Forest Pl during my 1st year, but it is very expensive. We enjoyed the benefits of living right in the middle of downtown Oak Park, but couldn't justify the cost. We ended up purchasing a condo during my 2nd year. There are several new developments in both Forest Park and Oak Park, but most are for purchase, not for rent (although man people who purchase their condo end up renting it out). The easiest way to find out about new developments would be to call up the Oak Park Regional Housing Center, they will most likely have that information available....http://www.apartmentsoakpark.org/

However, you will definitely pay a premium for the newer homes/apts.

In addition to the programs mentioned above, Loyola students are notorious for inventing their own unique experience. That's one of the great things about this school-- if there is an experience you want that has not yet been created, you will have plenty of support to start somethng new. But I am certain there are several opportunities throughout your 4 years here to work with rural physicians, while on break, during your free time, or even on a rotation.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Loyola has a policy about tuition increases? Tuition for 2007-2008 is 36,600, and I was wondering by how much we can expect this amount to increase over the next 4 years...

Maybe this question is too specific, but I thought I would put it out there :)

mdapp06

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Loyola has a policy about tuition increases? Tuition for 2007-2008 is 36,600, and I was wondering by how much we can expect this amount to increase over the next 4 years...

Maybe this question is too specific, but I thought I would put it out there :)

mdapp06

They raise it as they see fit. It usually goes up 2-3% a year lately, from what I've heard. I don't know of any schools that have a fixed tuition for all 4 years. I'd honestly expect Loyola to be around 40k by the time we graduate.

They raise it as they see fit. It usually goes up 2-3% a year lately, from what I've heard. I don't know of any schools that have a fixed tuition for all 4 years. I'd honestly expect Loyola to be around 40k by the time we graduate.

Thanks for in the info BKadow! I wasn't sure what Loyola's policy was on tuition increases.

I know that RFUMS is fixing their tuition at around 39,000 for incoming students this year, so tuition for students in the class of 2011 will be fixed at that amount.

Thanks again for the info:)

mdapp06

I went to Loyola for undergrad and they have raised the tuition every year -- Im not sure how much, but it's definitely gone up. The 2-3% sounds correct to me.

Hi all,

I haven't received a lot of information from Loyola yet--but as far as I know, I just have to send a transcript after my final grades are posted this semester. Have any of you received information about having to get vaccines done or anything like this?

Thanks! Leah

Hi all,

I haven't received a lot of information from Loyola yet--but as far as I know, I just have to send a transcript after my final grades are posted this semester. Have any of you received information about having to get vaccines done or anything like this?

Thanks! Leah

Hey Leah,

I received the hardcopy info today that is posted in the Prematriculation guide online. In the packet, there are two forms due May 21, and the transcripts are due by July 23. I remember in the orientation material online it describes which vaccines/titers are needed--We need to show proof of completion before July 14. It is def. worth posting on the question web board. After the semester ends, I think I'm going to have my titers checked (HepB series, already had chickenpox) to make sure I don't need to have them done again. I think I need a new Tetanus booster.

Update: Here is the link--
http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/camplife/orientation/student_health.htm

There is more than I remembered that we need to show documentation.

Hope that helps :)

~Sarah

PS I'm so excited--I'm definitely going to Loyola now!:hardy: :love:

Hey Leah,

I received the hardcopy info today that is posted in the Prematriculation guide online. In the packet, there are two forms due May 21, and the transcripts are due by July 23. I remember in the orientation material online it describes which vaccines/titers are needed--We need to show proof of completion before July 14. It is def. worth posting on the question web board. After the semester ends, I think I'm going to have my titers checked (HepB series, already had chickenpox) to make sure I don't need to have them done again. I think I need a new Tetanus booster.

Update: Here is the link--
http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/camplife/orientation/student_health.htm

There is more than I remembered that we need to show documentation.

Hope that helps :)

~Sarah

PS I'm so excited--I'm definitely going to Loyola now!:hardy: :love:

YAY for being decided!!

Does anyone know how expensive it is to get tests done to demonstrate immunity?

YAY for being decided!!

Does anyone know how expensive it is to get tests done to demonstrate immunity?

Some insurance carriers will pay for it - otherwise it can get pricey. Not sure how much - I had Kaiser, and they paid for all of it.

Some insurance carriers will pay for it - otherwise it can get pricey. Not sure how much - I had Kaiser, and they paid for all of it.

Thanks! do you think that they'll take immunization records instead of that?

Thanks! do you think that they'll take immunization records instead of that?

I spoke with the health office and got some clarification on this. For Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella, you HAVE to have the titers drawn, even if you've had all your scheduled vaccines. If any of the titers turn out negative (not immune), you have to show proof of vaccinations (and you'll most likely want a booster shot anyway). They also recommend that you get the Hep B vaccine series and have titers drawn for that as well.

For Polio and Tetanus, you just have to submit proof of vaccination. It's recommended, but not required, that you have a Tetanus booster as well. Plus, there's the TB test.

It's kind of a pain, but you can often get insurance to cover it. The online info that was previously on the Stritch site said that titers could cost up to $103 apiece, so definitely go the insurance route if at all possible.

I spoke with the health office and got some clarification on this. For Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella, you HAVE to have the titers drawn, even if you've had all your scheduled vaccines. If any of the titers turn out negative (not immune), you have to show proof of vaccinations (and you'll most likely want a booster shot anyway). They also recommend that you get the Hep B vaccine series and have titers drawn for that as well.

For Polio and Tetanus, you just have to submit proof of vaccination. It's recommended, but not required, that you have a Tetanus booster as well. Plus, there's the TB test.

It's kind of a pain, but you can often get insurance to cover it. The online info that was previously on the Stritch site said that titers could cost up to $103 apiece, so definitely go the insurance route if at all possible.

So- I don't HAVE to get the titer for Hep B? I've had the Hep B series, I just got the MMRV titers done and I would prefer to not go back and have more blood drawn for the Hep B titer...

So- I don't HAVE to get the titer for Hep B? I've had the Hep B series, I just got the MMRV titers done and I would prefer to not go back and have more blood drawn for the Hep B titer...

I'm not 100% sure. Here's what the Student Health Services website says:

Documentation of serologic immunity to Hepatitis B (i.e. positive Hepatitis B IgG). If not immune, then include documentation of three vaccinations. It is highly recommended, but not required, that all incoming students be vaccinated against Hepatitis B. Students who have opted not to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B will be required to sign a Declination of Vaccination form.

It's a little confusing, so you might want to call them at (708) 531-7900 to clarify. If they don't require students to be vaccinated against Hep B, I don't understand why they would require Hep B titers from everyone... but then again, they're the ones making the rules. Probably best to call. :rolleyes:

i just got my orientation packet--now i'm going to go check to see if any of you are posting on that forum :)

leah

Has anyone else filled out this roommate wanted listing form? I'm not sure what we're really supposed to put in the Additional Comments section.

I'm not sure what we're really supposed to put in the Additional Comments section.

"I'm BKadow. I'm an aries. I enjoy salsa dancing and long walks on the beach...."

Hi All...just wondering if anyone had Loyola's 2007 Match List? I haven't been able to find it on their website yet...

Thanks!:)

mdapp06

the 2007 match list is posted in hard-copy form at school...i haven't seen it in electronic format yet...i've posted links to previous years' match lists.

So, I finally turned down the other schools. Loyola, here I come. Can't wait to meet you all. I even had a few more days before the deadline.

So, I finally turned down the other schools. Loyola, here I come. Can't wait to meet you all. I even had a few more days before the deadline.

Congrats NJH1! See you in July :D

It looks like there is Salsa dancing every night somewhere in Chicago. It`s a shame I`m not going to have enough time to go every night. Thank god I have internet while I`m down here in Peru. I`m reading all the replies, getting more and more excited, and a little concerned about having to take care of a lot of stuff when I get back. All those titers for health stuff look like a really expensive pain. Also, just wanted to get a general idea of what people are looking at for buying a 2 bedroom apartment in Forrest and Oak Park. What has been the average price that you guys have seen? Feel free to PM with replies. Hope everyone is having a great summer and I absolutely can`t wait to meet you all.

It is official, after months of contemplation, I am going to for sure be at Loyola next year! Cannot wait to meet you all!

It looks like there is Salsa dancing every night somewhere in Chicago. It`s a shame I`m not going to have enough time to go every night. Thank god I have internet while I`m down here in Peru. I`m reading all the replies, getting more and more excited, and a little concerned about having to take care of a lot of stuff when I get back. All those titers for health stuff look like a really expensive pain. Also, just wanted to get a general idea of what people are looking at for buying a 2 bedroom apartment in Forrest and Oak Park. What has been the average price that you guys have seen? Feel free to PM with replies. Hope everyone is having a great summer and I absolutely can`t wait to meet you all.

OMG I am laughing at this post... there is a girl in our class that is always begging us to go salsa dancing with her. Looks like there will be a salsa-begger in 2011 now too.

Peru!?! Where are you at? I'll be traveling for the month of June before starting at Loyola. Perhaps we could have a Loyola Class of 2011 gathering there.

Also, never did salsa, but am a Karaoke All-Star and will definately be scouring the Oak Park neighborhood for the best venue.

can any of you access the student web forum that was referred to in the packet we received in April?

i can't. it always say that the connection times out. I'd like to know if you guys are having any success!

Peru!?! Where are you at? I'll be traveling for the month of June before starting at Loyola. Perhaps we could have a Loyola Class of 2011 gathering there.

Also, never did salsa, but am a Karaoke All-Star and will definately be scouring the Oak Park neighborhood for the best venue.

Nontrop: I am currently in Lima after spending three weeks in Huancayo studying Spanish and living with a family. I´ll be heading out to the desert coast and Macchu Picchu with my friends for the next two weeks and then I am headed to Arequipa until early July when I will come back. I´ll probably be in Arequipa when you get here. Shoot me a message when you get here and maybe we can meet up for some Pisco. For anyone else who´s interested, you can follow my trip on my blog. There are some really cool paragliding videos there. I´m getting it all out of my system before school starts.

OMG I am laughing at this post... there is a girl in our class that is always begging us to go salsa dancing with her. Looks like there will be a salsa-begger in 2011 now too.

Great, so I just have to find this person and we can go salsa dancing together. Then she´ll stop bugging you and I don´t have to beg.

Also, haven´t gotten any responses about my original question for housing prices. How much are you guys paying for two bedroom places? How much am I looking at for rent? Just want a general idea. Hope everyone is doing well.

Also, haven´t gotten any responses about my original question for housing prices. How much are you guys paying for two bedroom places? How much am I looking at for rent? Just want a general idea. Hope everyone is doing well.

There can be a bit of a range for places - try snooping around craigslist.org to see prices in the Forest Park / Oak Park area (that is where MOST of us live).

For a two bedroom, I would say anywhere from $900 - $1400 would capture most places that med students live in.

can any of you access the student web forum that was referred to in the packet we received in April?

i can't. it always say that the connection times out. I'd like to know if you guys are having any success!

No problems with accessing the forum...try again?? If it's still not working maybe use a different computer.

i would join salsa outings flight fire..im in the RUSH 2011 class

Nontrop: I am currently in Lima after spending three weeks in Huancayo studying Spanish and living with a family. I´ll be heading out to the desert coast and Macchu Picchu with my friends for the next two weeks and then I am headed to Arequipa until early July when I will come back. I´ll probably be in Arequipa when you get here. Shoot me a message when you get here and maybe we can meet up for some Pisco. For anyone else who´s interested, you can follow my trip on my blog. There are some really cool paragliding videos there. I´m getting it all out of my system before school starts.

Great, so I just have to find this person and we can go salsa dancing together. Then she´ll stop bugging you and I don´t have to beg.

I was in a Salsa dancing club this year at the University of Arizona. I got into Salsa when I was living in Oaxaca, Mexico. I guess we'll have a club for next year.

I have a question for current students: How many of you go to class every single day? I was browsing the Stritch website and came across the following policy:

It is expected that students will attend all lectures, laboratories, and conferences during the first and second years ... Throughout all years of enrollment, any absence of more than three consecutive working days requires prompt notification to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs by the student.

Is attendance truly mandatory for all M1 and M2 lectures? I had definitely planned on attending every class until I had my learning style figured out, but after that, I was hoping to have some flexibility with regards to attending lecture vs. studying at home. Sometimes I just learn better by hitting the books by myself. In that same vein, how high-quality are the handouts/slides provided by professors, and are they generally available online?

i'd say the vast majority of the class is at almost every lectures. you'll find that some things are REQUIRED (ie- sign-in sheets and not showing up will have a negative impact on your grade), such as labs and small groups, for the most part. the rest of things, including the majority of lectures, are recommended but not exactly things you need to be at or your grade will suffer directly. With that said, some people did find that their learning style did not mesh with a specific lecturer (some just aren't very exciting and you might be able to learn it faster on your own), but as i said, the vast majority of the class is at almost every lecture. also, to answer your other questions, the lecture handouts are, for the most part, quite good. the course directors are constantly striving (including having panels of students giving feedback after each course finishes) to improve the course as a whole and the lecture notes in particular. the notes are not available online (i don't think they are at least), but the lecturer's powerpoint presentation is posted, usually before the class. there have also been attempts to get audio files of the lectures taped and posted online. hope that helps!

i'd say the vast majority of the class is at almost every lectures. you'll find that some things are REQUIRED (ie- sign-in sheets and not showing up will have a negative impact on your grade), such as labs and small groups, for the most part. the rest of things, including the majority of lectures, are recommended but not exactly things you need to be at or your grade will suffer directly. With that said, some people did find that their learning style did not mesh with a specific lecturer (some just aren't very exciting and you might be able to learn it faster on your own), but as i said, the vast majority of the class is at almost every lecture. also, to answer your other questions, the lecture handouts are, for the most part, quite good. the course directors are constantly striving (including having panels of students giving feedback after each course finishes) to improve the course as a whole and the lecture notes in particular. the notes are not available online (i don't think they are at least), but the lecturer's powerpoint presentation is posted, usually before the class. there have also been attempts to get audio files of the lectures taped and posted online. hope that helps!

Just finished M1, and most all of the notes were online (sorry to contradict you Brats). In addition, the power points were usually available to us, and savvy students quickly learned that carrying a flash drive around could be a good idea (hint hint wink wink nudge read between the lines here nudge). Fortunately in our class the flashdrivers shared with the rest of us.

The school is trying to do some major curriculum modifications as it relates to technology, so it is only going to get better (and frankly, it is quite good already). One of our classmates actually started audio recordings of the lectures available as MP3s (thanks Tom) that some people found useful.

To get an idea of what is available online, if you doink around on LUMEN, you can see which lectures had lecture notes, and what the notes looked like. The password is the same as the password you use for your new student orientation web forum stuff.

WRT class attendance, we are unusual with the high percentage of our school that actually attends the overwhelming percentage of our lectures. Most of them are pretty high yield.

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing you next year!

Just finished M1, and most all of the notes were online (sorry to contradict you Brats). In addition, the power points were usually available to us, and savvy students quickly learned that carrying a flash drive around could be a good idea (hint hint wink wink nudge read between the lines here nudge). Fortunately in our class the flashdrivers shared with the rest of us.

The school is trying to do some major curriculum modifications as it relates to technology, so it is only going to get better (and frankly, it is quite good already). One of our classmates actually started audio recordings of the lectures available as MP3s (thanks Tom) that some people found useful.

To get an idea of what is available online, if you doink around on LUMEN, you can see which lectures had lecture notes, and what the notes looked like. The password is the same as the password you use for your new student orientation web forum stuff.

WRT class attendance, we are unusual with the high percentage of our school that actually attends the overwhelming percentage of our lectures. Most of them are pretty high yield.

Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing you next year!

Thanks for the info, Flop. Congrats on finishing M1... it must be a great feeling!

So, as I'm packing up from undergrad, and throwing away a lot of things, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to save any notes. I was a physiology major and feel like a lot of the lecture slides I got were pretty useful. And what about old text books? Or should I toss it all and use what we get for Loyola. I guess what I'm asking is are the slide/lecture material quality or should I save my notes to supplement it? Thanks.