Loyola University Stritch SOM Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all:
I was just reading through the posts, and I cannot wait until class starts! I found out that there is no specific bookstore on campus for the required texts, how do first years buy the required books? Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!! Three weeks!! I'm certainly excited. And for those of you on the facebook group, you should send me a message with your sdn name so that i can start matching people up (thanks minijoy!). I'm the Leah on facebook ;)

And Jackie are you out there? You haven't posted in ages! Will we be seeing you in three weeks?

Hi all!
I'm really excited about starting school too! I was going through the prematriculation site and saw that the deadline for the immunization forms is July 14th. Have you all sent in your stuff already? How long does it take to get the lab reports on immunity? I hope I can get an early appointment and then be able to send in all the material before the 14th! Does anyone know how strict they are regarding this deadline? Would we be able to bring in the material to the orientation perhaps?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
first years buy books in several ways:
1) Students Advising Students will sponsor a book-sale about a week into classes, where upperclassmen will sell their books. This is how I got the vast majority of my books.
2) Go to another chicagoland medical school bookstore (ie-Rush), since many schools use the same books.
3) Buy your books off of amazon.com - works great, great price, but order your books as early as possible because shipping can be slow.

as a side note, the Loyola Hospital DOES have a gift shop that sells some important things for the medical students (things that are important for 3rd/4th years more than 1st/2nd years...)

i haven't sent in my pictures yet, so those are going to be late! i hope that that won't be too much of a problem

i haven't sent in my pictures yet, so those are going to be late! i hope that that won't be too much of a problem

I would say of all deadlines to miss, this would be one to try REALLY hard not to miss. The school puts together a facebook so that during orientation, you can actually start putting names to faces. The facebook obviously can't be assembled and sent to the printers until everybody has their pics turned in, so no delaying - get those in.

I would say of all deadlines to miss, this would be one to try REALLY hard not to miss. The school puts together a facebook so that during orientation, you can actually start putting names to faces. The facebook obviously can't be assembled and sent to the printers until everybody has their pics turned in, so no delaying - get those in.

:eek: eeek! wish me luck, today is the fourth, so no mail, and i think that they are due tomorrow. I will try to get them sent out tomorrow!

Hi all,
The link to the prematriculation site is http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/prematric/index.htm

You can click on the checklist on the left hand side to see a list of everything that is due.

The immunization stuff is on this link: http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/camplife/orientation/student_health.htm

One of the items on the checklist is to complete the "Matriculating Student Questionnaire", which was supposed to be available in late June. Did anyone get that? I haven't received it via post or email.

Hi all,
The link to the prematriculation site is http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/prematric/index.htm

You can click on the checklist on the left hand side to see a list of everything that is due.

The immunization stuff is on this link: http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/camplife/orientation/student_health.htm

One of the items on the checklist is to complete the "Matriculating Student Questionnaire", which was supposed to be available in late June. Did anyone get that? I haven't received it via post or email.

I don't think that I've gotten it.

The prematriculation questionnaire is up online. It's available under the financial aid login page found at: https://vault.lumc.edu/finaid/default.cfm

Just click on "Incoming Freshman Registration" and you should be set.

I'm sure we'll get an email in the coming days telling everyone how to access the page.

this may be kind of a stupid question, but how should we dress for the first day? i know that most students said that for the first two years we could dress like we did in college...so are jeans/flip flops/summer dresses ok? i know we're supposed to be taking a picture for our composite, should we dress up a little? i've been wearing business clothes everyday for the last year, so i've kind of fallen out of the routine of casual clothing so any thoughts on this would be much appreciated :)

Reading through last year's thread I saw this question come up too. I am not going to be wearing anything special--jeans, etc. I think that jeans/ flip flops/summer dresses are probably fine--I'm guessing that it is air conditioned, though, so you might want to think about that.

This is getting exciting, hey? Two weeks from today!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading through last year's thread I saw this question come up too. I am not going to be wearing anything special--jeans, etc. I think that jeans/ flip flops/summer dresses are probably fine--I'm guessing that it is air conditioned, though, so you might want to think about that.

This is getting exciting, hey? Two weeks from today!!!!

I would suggest wearing something slightly nicer than flip flops and shorts - keep in mind you may have your class photos taken on any day of orientation. This photo sticks with you for all four years when they distribute them to various people (I look horribly unprofessional in mine, and still regret it).

Also, you will be getting a lecture on professionalism and the importance of NOT wearing "beach attire" to school (eg flip flops). In spite of the lecture, many of us end up later wearing exactly that - but probably not how you want to make a first impression.

Also, for those from CA, or other places with what I would call "normal" climates, prepare for the weirdest habit the mid-westerners have - over air-conditioning everything. Although it is approaching 100 degrees outside, I still wear pants, and carry a sweatshirt with me into class because they LOVE to cool the building to ridiculous freezing temperatures.

I would suggest wearing something slightly nicer than flip flops and shorts - keep in mind you may have your class photos taken on any day of orientation. This photo sticks with you for all four years when they distribute them to various people (I look horribly unprofessional in mine, and still regret it).

Also, you will be getting a lecture on professionalism and the importance of NOT wearing "beach attire" to school (eg flip flops). In spite of the lecture, many of us end up later wearing exactly that - but probably not how you want to make a first impression.

Also, for those from CA, or other places with what I would call "normal" climates, prepare for the weirdest habit the mid-westerners have - over air-conditioning everything. Although it is approaching 100 degrees outside, I still wear pants, and carry a sweatshirt with me into class because they LOVE to cool the building to ridiculous freezing temperatures.

thanks flop...so would you suggest (for girls) dress pants and a nice shirt, or maybe a nice dress, and not jeans?

thanks flop...so would you suggest (for girls) dress pants and a nice shirt, or maybe a nice dress, and not jeans?

I think jeans are OK (it will be quite hot outside, but quite cool inside...if I were a girl, a nice summer dress might be the most comfortable with a small sweater or something carried in a bag).

Remember, you want to look nice from the shoulders up for photos, and ou don't want to be wearing flip-flops during the lecture about not wearing flip flops. Wait a week, then we will all be wearing flip flops.

Hey Kids,

I'm around, just really hectic. Finished my job on 6/29, moved out to Forest Park that weekend. Just back from visiting my folks in Calif.

Talk to you and see you all very soon!!

xo
Jackie

Flop's comments about clothing were right on. Loyola seems to always be on the chilly side, in summer and in winter so layers are the way to go. They tell you to dress slightly nicer than you would've in college probably because our building and dining areas are shared by lots of people including doctors as well as patients (and families) from the outpatient center and the cancer center. Jeans are definitely fine to wear. Closed toed shoes if you are in the hospital or a lab (but that is for later). Everyone starts off the year dressing nicer than they will end up dressing for instance during exam weeks, anatomy, etc but in general, even very casual Stritch students look respectable...unlike at my college where some people looked as if they had rolled out of bed and never looked in the mirror before coming to class.

I'm selling some of my books from 1st year if anyone wants to get first dibs before school starts, send me a message and I can get them to you either when you move to the area or during orientation.

1. Grant’s Atlas of Anatomy,11th ed, Agur, D.M.R., 2005, Williams & Wilkins
ISBN: 0781742552 (never touched because I ended up with two atlas's last year)

2. Basic Histology, Jungueira & Carneiro, 11th ed., 2005, McGraw Hill)

ISBN: 0071440917

3. Wheater’s Functional Histology Young, Lowe, Stevens & Heath, 5th ed., 2006, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier
ISBN: 0443056129

4. Textbook of Biochemistry with Clinical Correlations Devlin, 6th ed., 2005, Wiley-Liss
ISBN: 0471411361

5. Evidence Based Medicine: How to Practice and Teach EBM, 3rd ed., 2005, Straus, Sharon E., et al., Saunders W.B. Co.

ISBN: 0443062404

6. The Medical Interview: Mastering Skills for Clinical Practice, 5th ed. Coulehan, J & Block, M., 2005, Davis. ISBN 080361246X

7. Behavior and Medicine, 4th ed., Hogrefe & Huber, 2006, Wedding, Danny.
ISBN: 0889373051

Hi all! It is almost that time! I am very excited to meet you all in less than a week! Well I was planning for my family to fly out for the family weekend and remembered someone had mentioned our first big test happens right before that weekend. Is this test going to be on that Thursday? If anybody have an idea please let me know! I just don't want my family to be here when I am slaving away for the test. Thanks!

I am also in town already so if there is anything going on this weekend please let me know!

Hi all! It is almost that time! I am very excited to meet you all in less than a week! Well I was planning for my family to fly out for the family weekend and remembered someone had mentioned our first big test happens right before that weekend. Is this test going to be on that Thursday? If anybody have an idea please let me know! I just don't want my family to be here when I am slaving away for the test. Thanks!

I am also in town already so if there is anything going on this weekend please let me know!

One nice thing about Loyola, you will be able to see exactly what you will be doing at any hour for the rest of your year as the detailed schedule is posted online.

Here is the link for the first years so you can see what your day will be like.

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/template...yid=2001&academic_level=1&acadstart=7/30/2001

a few things to remember - the PCM small groups, you will only be in ONE per week (normally), so the schedule isn't as bad as it looks.

Hope that helps.

One nice thing about Loyola, you will be able to see exactly what you will be doing at any hour for the rest of your year as the detailed schedule is posted online.

Here is the link for the first years so you can see what your day will be like.

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/template...yid=2001&academic_level=1&acadstart=7/30/2001

a few things to remember - the PCM small groups, you will only be in ONE per week (normally), so the schedule isn't as bad as it looks.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the info! Your post have always been helpful. I hope everyone does well on the MCBG exam I so we will all be happy to see our famlies!

Flop's comments are usually very helpful. And in real life they are usually very very funny ;) I miss you Flop .... come home!!

Have Fun Tomorrow!! See You All There :)

hey guys,

i'm a 4th year at KU who will be doing an away rotation in Loyola in September. I'm still struggling to find a place to stay for my 3 week rotation despite religiously checking craigslist and here on the SDN housing section....I thought i'd post here to see if anyone has any tips for me or would consider renting out a room at a place preferably close to the hospitals. thanks guys and please feel free to PM me.