How do I explain my low undergrad GPA without throwing a pity party?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neosp0rin

Reaction score
Non-traditional/late stage career change student here, applying to pre-med postbacc programs for Fall 2020.

I graduated undergrad from a state university in California back in 2008. My undergrad GPA was 2.6. Liberal arts major, no science courses, ridiculously easy curriculum that I still failed at. Since then, I've completed a Master's degree at Columbia U in architecture and have had a pretty good career in architecture and design. I had to submit a visual design portfolio for this program, I excel in the visual arts and am an above average test taker so that's why my uGPA wasn't much of a factor for Columbia.

A few applications are giving me an opportunity to explain any discrepancies in my academic history. I have good reasons for doing so poorly in undergrad, but I want to avoid indulging in a pity party. Basically, I grew up in a very broken home. In and out of foster homes much of my life, went to 3 different high schools, depression, witnessed a lot of violence and loss, minimal to no connection to my parents. It's a miracle I even made it to undergrad. I had zero guidance or precedent in my life. I was basically feral child, my outcome in life so far is as good as it could have possibly been, I've been very blessed despite my past mistakes. I had to learn about life through trial and error and by making mistakes and learning things the hard way, there was never a such thing as a parent holding my hand - ever. I also dealt with depression and mild substance abuse during undergrad.

Basically, I had zero guidance and had to navigate everything myself. I find it kind of ridiculous that decisions like these made at 18-22 would be held against anyone, let alone someone who had no way of knowing better, but I know I need to take responsibility in my statement somehow for a 2.6 non-STEM gpa.

What are some ways to tackle this subject without coming across as a victim or full of self-pity? Any statements or angles I should avoid? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, I want to say that I'm sorry you experienced such a crappy childhood. I can relate in some ways. Second, I would explain how your childhood directly affected your performance in college. However, I would be brief. I'm not sure how to write this to not sound like an A, but a lot of people have dealt with the same issues you faced, and the admissions panels go through hundreds of essays with the same stories. I hate saying it like that, but I'm just trying to give you the best advice I can. What I would do: Talk briefly about your childhood and how it contributed to you doing poorly in college, then I would talk about how you were able to overcome this experience by doing well in the master's program, career, etc. That way, they can say to themselves, okay, this person was going through something, they made the changes/got the help they needed and now they are doing well academically and with life. SMPs and Post-baccs are basically second chances, so schools want to know that you are low-risk of failing/having to withdraw AND prepared to move forward.

In summary (because I ramble), touch on how your childhood affected your college performance (not just life in general, be direct), then show them in details how you were able to overcome this (life experience, master's program, career) and how you are ready to take on this challenge of studying to become a doctor. I hope this helps! I wish you all the best.