Low GPA and "safety" schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm a graduate from the Univ. of Minnesota, with a 2.8 GPA from them, but a 3.02 overall, and a 2.86 last 60. My GRE scores aren't in yet, but my projected score was anywhere between 1390 and 1540, with verbal in the 99th percentile (for sure), and quant in the 57th to 80th percentile. Previous GRE score was in the 1100s, with a 4xx on quant, so my score has greatly improved.

I "majored" in public health, through an individualized degree. (Combine three minors, write a paper, it's a major.) I also majored in child psychology and Japanese. I'm interested in following a MCH track, possible MCH/Epi, though I have little hope for the second one. I've recently started my certification process as a doula (mother's labor assistant), and am hoping to become certified in that soon.

My letters of recommendation are coming from a veterinarian I used to work for, a professor from my last year of college (taught a public health course I got an A in), and from a research supervisor I've been working with for the last few months.

In short, what are my chances? Will my past GRE scores affect this application cycle? Will my better GRE scores make up for a poor GPA? I'm looking at Univ. of Minnesota first, obv, but I think I have little chance of getting in there. I'm convinced I have little chance of getting in anywhere. A little reassurance, or a little cold hard truth would be nice.

Also, regarding "safety" schools - what are they? Where are they? I'm afraid I'm aiming way, way too high on my list of schools I'm interested, and I'd like to know before I waste all my money on designations that I have no chance of getting into.

List of interested-in so far includes: U of MN, Emory (I adore their mental health concentration/add-on), SLU, U of GA, U of MI, and UPitt.

Members don't see this ad.

My advice to you is to not attend a safety school because if you really don't like it you will be miserable. If you have a Bachelor's in Public Health get an entry level job in the field and apply again to your dream school in 2-3 years on your combination of experience and academic credentials. If you are wanting to work in Maternal and Child Health you will have no problem getting a entry level job if you keep at it especially if you are willing to relocate their is a severe shortage in many parts of the country.

You will be (pleasantly) surprised at your results if you apply broadly to a range of programs that interest you. I am a second year student at a "top ten" school and had a 2.9 GPA and around 1200 on the GRE. What helped my application was my experience in PH (only around a year, nothing too extensive) and my clear goals for a career in PH illustrated in my statement of purpose. Keep an open mind to different schools you would like to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with both nietzsche754 and jmm051 actually - depending on how much experience you already have. I also had about a 2.8-2.9 from the U of MN and my GRE scores weren't nearly as good as yours. My saving grace was probably my work experience - about 2-3 years of non-profit jobs where I did basic office work but also research and 3 years on a reproductive heath hotline with various roles there up to being the Director for about 7 months.

I am also studying MCH. I didn't really do the safety school thing, and I can't comment on most of the schools you're applying to. The only school we have in common is Emory - I was waitlisted by Emory and ended up not getting my first choice of Global Repro Health but my second choice of BSHE. For reference I was also waitlisted by BU and ended up getting in to the MCH program and accepted by GWU, which is where I ultimately decided to go.

Your chances seem pretty good of getting in somewhere (Emory can be tough I thought, especially if you're applying to the Epi-MCH), especially if your GRE scores are as high as you project them to be. When writing your SOP, focus on your experience - like becoming a doula - and what you hope to do with the degree. Be as specific and focused as possible. I had a tough time (and honestly wasn't super excited about GWU in the beginning but applied because I already lived in DC), but I also applied to mostly competitive schools but in the end am really happy with how things worked out.

Hey all,

So I'm a graduate from the Univ. of Minnesota, with a 2.8 GPA from them, but a 3.02 overall, and a 2.86 last 60. My GRE scores aren't in yet, but my projected score was anywhere between 1390 and 1540, with verbal in the 99th percentile (for sure), and quant in the 57th to 80th percentile. Previous GRE score was in the 1100s, with a 4xx on quant, so my score has greatly improved.

I "majored" in public health, through an individualized degree. (Combine three minors, write a paper, it's a major.) I also majored in child psychology and Japanese. I'm interested in following a MCH track, possible MCH/Epi, though I have little hope for the second one. I've recently started my certification process as a doula (mother's labor assistant), and am hoping to become certified in that soon.

My letters of recommendation are coming from a veterinarian I used to work for, a professor from my last year of college (taught a public health course I got an A in), and from a research supervisor I've been working with for the last few months.

In short, what are my chances? Will my past GRE scores affect this application cycle? Will my better GRE scores make up for a poor GPA? I'm looking at Univ. of Minnesota first, obv, but I think I have little chance of getting in there. I'm convinced I have little chance of getting in anywhere. A little reassurance, or a little cold hard truth would be nice.

Also, regarding "safety" schools - what are they? Where are they? I'm afraid I'm aiming way, way too high on my list of schools I'm interested, and I'd like to know before I waste all my money on designations that I have no chance of getting into.

List of interested-in so far includes: U of MN, Emory (I adore their mental health concentration/add-on), SLU, U of GA, U of MI, and UPitt.

I was accepted to SLU for Fall 2011, but I decided to not attend and get a bit of experience under my belt. With that being said, my stats (primarily GRE) were definitely less than stellar, so you should definitely apply to your top choices and see what happens! GOOD LUCK! :)

I'm very interested in getting a MPH in global/international health. I went to a small school for Nutrition and had a low GPA (2.85) due to taking on too much but after graduating I went into the Peace Corps for almost 3 years working in health. I currently am working back home in MN as a Nutritionist for the WIC program and am working on studying for the GRE to apply for schools. PC has a fellows program at some schools Loma Linda(anyone have any comments on their program?) but I would love to go to Tulane, Emory, U of M or possible JH. Do you think my experience along with some letters of recommendation from professors and PC director will make up for my undergrad grades?? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I have nearly the same GPA as above but rather than too many classes it was due to my severe learning disabilities. I have a great statement of purpose and plenty of documentation of disabilities. Just took the GRE and scored above 77% for verbal but quantitative was only average. Finished Peace Corps last year and traveled until 3 months ago. Since Ive gotten back I have been real serious about getting into grad school for MPH global health. Is it going to be possible overcome my low GPA and average quantatative GRE score with volunteer experience overseas and some solid letters of recomendation? Will being able to prove that while my GPA and half my GRE is low, the fact that I can score at that level at all with my learning disabilities show that I am capable of grad school level work if admitted. I'd love to go to Tulane or Columbia. Any directions would be appreciated. Cheers!