Need advice: MPH Schools for low cum GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmae1126

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know I've posted on here before, but I went to a few advisors and they have told me that my dream school for Health Policy and Management, UCLA, isn't possible for me because of my overall GPA. Anyway, I'm kinda over it now, but I was hoping if anyone here can let me know which schools I should take a closer look at when I start applying to MPH program. A list would help, but its not necessary. Thank you!

Here are my stats (again) :) :

Major Health Science (w/ a concentration in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention)
Overall GPA: 3.33 (if all goes right this semester, it will be a 3.4)
Major GPA: 3.88 (hopefully will become over 3.9 after this semester)
Last two years GPA: 3.76
GRE: taking it August

Experience:
-2+ years interning as a Health Scholar in the COPE Heath Scholar Program (over 500 hours)
-Leadership in the COPE Health Scholar Program (Admin Coordinator)
-Research intern for a non-profit in Orange County- (community-based participatory research on social determinants of health)
-Internship at Environmental Health and Safety (enforcing the smoke free policy on campus)
-Worked at a tutoring center for more than a year
-Worked for AmeriCoprs as a Jumpstart Corps Member for a year (over 300 hours)
-Just got accepted into an internship with the CDC this summer for Public Health.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen on this forum, I think you have a good chance of getting into UCLA, especially if you have: good GRE scores, a solid admission essay and apply early. I actually think you have a solid chance of getting into a variety of programs. Don't sell yourself short. Good luck!

Last edited:
I would suggest introducing your advisors to this forum. They will see that people with your GPA and experiences routinely get into top 10 schools, sometimes with scholarships/grants. Heck, I got into a top 20 with a 3.0 GPA and no where near the amount of experience you have. Just make sure you do well on the GRE (aim for at least 80th percentile on all sections) and write a great essay and you have a shot anywhere. Make sure you get letters from your internship and volunteer work; a letter from the CDC internship would be a plus.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just like to say that this process is highly holistic. I would not sell yourself short and I recommend that you send an application to UCLA. If you look on this year's and previous years' threads on MPH acceptances, you will notice that there are individuals with similar stats as yours getting into UCLA, Cal, Columbia, Yale, and other higher tiered schools. Seeing that you have many extracurriculars relating to public health, you will still be considered as a competitive student.

Please, please do not sell yourself short! Take confidence and apply! I did not expect to be accepted into Cal or Columbia as my GPA is not 3.5+, but it seems that even with this in mind that my GRE + extracurriculars was still able to help me get accepted. Focus on studying hard for the GRE and write a great personal statement! Get tons of feedback and reviews on your PS so that you turn in the best possible one.

Your experiences are really great! And, it seems like you have an upward trend, which I think any admissions committee would take into consideration and look favorably upon. I agree with the other posters that you definitely have a shot at UCLA granted that you have a good GRE score (aim for ~75th+ percentile in all sections), convincing personal statement, and good letters of recommendation. Apply to a wide range of schools if you're at all anxious about getting in somewhere, but I really think you have a great shot at UCLA.

Thank you so much everyone! Your feedback is really giving me the confidence to give it a shot and apply. I forgot to mention that I did attend a Cal State for my undergrad..I just hope that my undergraduate institution won't negatively impact my application..

Thank you so much everyone! Your feedback is really giving me the confidence to give it a shot and apply. I forgot to mention that I did attend a Cal State for my undergrad..I just hope that my undergraduate institution won't negatively impact my application..

I don't understand why you're focusing on the fact that you came from a Cal State... Where you went for undergrad should not be embarrassing for you and it will not (should not) have a deterring effect on your application. If you do well on the GRE, have a great personal statement, and relevant public health-related experience, your application sounds solid. Going to a Cal State does not mean you will not excel at future institutions for grad school. Please show some pride in attending your institution and apply with confidence!

Reactions: 1 user