Low Master's GPA - PhD Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sth1022

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in need of some advice and whether or not I should apply to PhD programs this year.
Here are some stats:

UG GPA: 3.5ish
Masters GPA: 3.65
GRE: 165Q/165V
Publications: 2 pending
Research experience: 3 research projects in my Masters program, 1 project in which I am currently working on five manuscripts (2 pending for publication) and 1 data visualization toolkit that will be utilized for policy makers in the Adolescent Health field. 3 years of work experience prior to my Masters at a policy advocacy nonprofit. Americorps experience.

I wad hoping to apply to PhD programs in the social behavioral sciences field this November...but I just got my summer grades back (much lower than expected). I was anticipating a 3.75 by the time I applied for programs but now it went down to a 3.65...I do have extensive research experience and publications pending at very well-known journals, albiet not the Lancet.

Really need some advice on whether or not these Stats are realistic for me to get into a PhD program.
Looking at the following:

1. Columbia Mailman - SBS program
2. Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences - Population Health
3. Yale SPH - health Policy
4. Stanford School of Medicine - Health Policy
5. Princeton - Population Health
6. Berkley - SBS
7. Johns Hopkins - SBI
8. Upenn - I mainly like their interdisciplinary curriculum since they dont have a SPH

Any advice would be helpful - esp. from people have are attending / know anyone who is attending / applied to any of the following PhD programs.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you do have a chance! Go for it! Also, check if there are cut-offs but I believe they review your application holisticlly