Need advice: MPH Schools for low cum GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmae1126

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know I've posted on here before, but I went to a few advisors and they have told me that my dream school for Health Policy and Management, UCLA, isn't possible for me because of my overall GPA. Anyway, I'm kinda over it now, but I was hoping if anyone here can let me know which schools I should take a closer look at when I start applying to MPH program. A list would help, but its not necessary. Thank you!

Here are my stats (again) :) :

Major Health Science (w/ a concentration in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention)
Overall GPA: 3.33 (if all goes right this semester, it will be a 3.4)
Major GPA: 3.88 (hopefully will become over 3.9 after this semester)
GRE: taking it August

Experience:
-2+ years interning as a Health Scholar in the COPE Heath Scholar Program (over 500 hours)
-Leadership in the COPE Health Scholar Program (Admin Coordinator)
-Research intern for a non-profit in Orange County- (community-based participatory research on social determinants of health)
-Internship at Environmental Health and Safety (enforcing the smoke free policy on campus)
-Worked at a tutoring center for more than a year
-Worked for AmeriCoprs as a Jumpstart Corps Member for a year (over 300 hours)
-Just got accepted into an internship with the CDC this summer for Public Health.

Members don't see this ad.

Low gpa isn't everything. Public schools look at applications holistically and your gpa is just a small part of it. You have really good public health experience, which honestly is more important. And a compelling sop can make all the difference. Also, if you have extenuating circumstances/any reason for your low gpa, you can send in a letter explaining it. My GPA was much lower than yours and I made sure to explain why. Ended up getting accepted into all of my programs, including Columbia, Yale, Brown & UPenn.

UCLA is definitely within your reach. It doesn't hurt to apply. You got 0% chance of getting in if you don't, but 50% if you do is how I looked at my applications when I thought I wouldn't measure up.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

your GPA is not LOW. I would say you need to focus in the GRE and try to get it least 50% in both sections.

I got accepted into 3 MPH program with 2.89 GPA, GPA is not everything

best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

your GPA is not LOW. I would say you need to focus in the GRE and try to get it least 50% in both sections.

I got accepted into 3 MPH program with 2.89 GPA, GPA is not everything

best of luck.

I have around the same GPA (3.0), and I am looking into MPH programs but it is easy to get discouraged because of GPA. Could you share some of your other stats/experiences? And what programs did you get accepted to?